The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Daily Sheet February 1 - 15, 2010  (Read 5004 times)

Offline Stilllearning

• Daily Sheet Staff
  • Obsessed
The Daily Sheet February 1 - 15, 2010
« on: February 02, 2010, 05:49:44 AM »

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Spotlight On Slash: Mr. Gobbles

by donna

Most Brokeback Mountain slash writers delve into the art of fictionalizing the lives of cowboys turned lovers while preserving some of the somber mood from the original story.  Heathyluv, whose real name is Kelly, is not one of those writers.  Everyone needs a break from serious issues sometimes, and heathyluv delivers stories about our favorite characters with the focus on humor.

The source for her affinity for writing Brokeback fan fiction is in a scene from Heath Ledger’s movie, Ten Things I Hate About You.  If you have seen this movie, you have seen Kelly wearing a blue and yellow soccer uniform emblazoned with a number 3, her practice interrupted by Ledger singing into his microphone. She was in the right place at the right time when she was approached, as a 16 year-old, to be an extra in the film.

“I have always loved and admired the late Heath Ledger.  I was crushed when he left us.  I was so distraught by his passing.  I couldn't look at any pictures of him, couldn't read anything involving him, couldn't watch any movies with him in them.  Then, it dawned on me one day- why am I pushing his memory away, instead of keeping it alive?  Granted, my stories are very silly and light-hearted, but by writing Brokeback Mountain slash and remembering his performance as Ennis, I ease some of the pain.”

Readers should consider themselves forewarned, heathyluv’s writing is not stodgy literature.  The dialogue-rich slapstick is full of scatological humor that makes it a quirky diversion from the Brokeback Mountain canon.

“Mmm, look at ‘im En, he ain’t got no idea what’s comin to him,” Jack chuckled.

“Nope, dumb ass bird,” Ennis mumbled. They continued to watch the turkey they had been raising for four months now. It picked at the grass outside their porch screen.

“Well, I gotta get workin on the stuffin Ennis, you best get down there and take care of that bird if you want to eat sometime tonight.”

“Alright,” Ennis replied, retrieving the hatchet. He approached Jack and began to nibble on his neck.

“Ennis… cut it out…I gotta get this done,” Jack chuckled.

“I know, I just wanted to kiss on ya a little bit,” he whispered.

Kelly finds humor in everything.  She intentionally steers her characters into a lighter direction, often pushing the mushy-gushy factor over the limit of saccharine sweetness.  “Well, honestly I'm a total goofball, I always have been.  One night when I was reading a story on the fandom, and crying my eyeballs out for the millionth time I thought, hey, I could use a good laugh.  I realized there were very few stories that cater to that, so I thought well, maybe I'm not alone.  Maybe there are other people out there that were just as devastated by the original story, that they, too, could use a comedic break.  So, I said what the hell, people are either going to like it, or be horrified, either way- I felt I had to give it a shot.”

In real life, Kelly is a surgical veterinary technician and manages a veterinary hospital.  Domestic animals usually find a way into her stories.  But, she has no intention of giving up her career for a chance at stardom.  Her role in Ten Things I Hate About You was her most cherished brush with celebrity.  Her best memory of Heath- “In real life, he had so many adorable freckles!  When I think back, I can't believe how freckly his face was!  I wish I would have known that five years later he would bring Ennis Del Mar to life.  I feel so very honored that I got to meet Heath.  He will always have such a special place in my heart, especially for making Brokeback the epic love story it is today.”

Kelly credits her time spent in the company of young men, including her younger brother, who happens to be gay, as the source for her dialogue.  Her stories move fast, and are quickly read, because of the extensive use of spoken language with very little narrative.  She lets her characters tell the story:

“Well, that was fast, you didn’t pluck him yet did ya?” Jack asked, up to his elbows in stuffing.

“No, I… I couldn’t do it Jack…”

“Ennis Del Mar! What’s gotten into you?! Hell, I know you’ve gotten soft in your old age but…Jesus En! You ain’t never had trouble killin and preparing us a meal before, what gives?”

“I don’t know Jack! Why am I stuck doin it? Why can’t I make the stuffing and YOU take care of the turkey?” Ennis asked, with a goofy smile on his face.

“Because Ennis! You can’t cook worth a damn! Remember that time it took you an HOUR to make MINUTE rice? Hmm? Remember that?”

Although this level of outright silliness in fan fiction definitely isn’t for everyone, Kelly uses her talent to keep the fandom moving in a positive direction.  “I just really want to thank my readers from the bottom of my heart for taking a chance on my stuff.  I know it's a little off-the-wall and against the grain of a lot stories in the fandom.  I don't claim to be a great writer, but I always give it my all, and write from the heart.  One of my readers once said about my stories: “They're a little crazy, but it's nice."  I'd like to think so.”

Check out “Mr. Gobbles” and more of heathyluv’s writing on LiveJournal.

Please remember that all slash fiction contributors write out of love for the Brokeback Mountain story.  Their only payment is your appreciative comments.

Changing Times

In the United Kingdom, "Public attitudes to homosexuality are becoming more liberal, according to a government-backed survey.  Some 36% thought homosexual acts were 'always' or 'mostly' wrong, down from 62% when the British Social Attitudes survey was first carried out, in 1983. British Social Attitudes, carried out by the National Centre for Social Research, is funded by the government and various charities." 

The survey also analyzed shifting attitudes toward marijuana, cohabitation of unmarried couples, the importance of voting, political parties and the economy.

Hasty Pudding

Anne Hathaway accepted her Hasty Pudding Woman of the Year award at Cambridge last week.  "Midday snow showers on Thursday did not stop crowds of people from flocking to Harvard Square looking to get a glimpse of this year’s Hasty Pudding Woman of the Year," Wicked Local Cambridge  reported. " 'It’s the only way to travel,' said the movie star of The Devil Wears Prada and Brokeback Mountain fame, as she traveled down Massachusetts Avenue in a red Bentley, flanked by Harvard men dressed in drag while blowing kisses to her bundled-up fans."

"After the parade, Hathaway was roasted on stage in typical Hasty Pudding Theatricals fashion. Here she is during a Brokeback Mountain skit."

More pictures at Boston.com.

Pay No Attention to the Gays Behind the Screen

Anti-gay activists, including the Family Research Council's Tony Perkins, were quick to criticize President Obama's State of the Union pledge to work with Congress and the military towards repeal of the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” law. In an "Action Alert" Perkins claimed that "this would put our military in the strange position of actively recruiting personnel who have an expressed intention to violate the Uniform Code of Military Justice (which still prohibits certain forms of sexual conduct, including homosexuality). Forcing soldiers to cohabit with people who view them as sexual objects would inevitably lead to increased sexual tension, sexual harassment, and even sexual assault. America's military exists to fight and win wars --not to engage in radical social engineering."

Forum member fritzkep remarked in "Don't Ask Don't Tell" that "An ironic fact about gay people in the military is that, in the past, during times of war, gay people who have wanted to serve have been tolerated or even welcomed, even in the most cramped and intimate quarters, with little complaint. It is only in the luxury of peacetime that gay people have been drummed out of the services for what people perceive might have or could have happened during those times of close combat."

"Like a Mother"

Zelda Rubinstein, known to many movie fans as the pint-sized psychic in Poltergeist, passed on last Wednesday at the age of 76.  The Huffington Post reported that according to her agent, Eric Stevens, she had recently suffered a heart attack.

Ms. Rubenstein was also an early and vocal advocate for AIDS prevention.  In 1985, the Los Angeles Times commented:

"Some city buses will begin carrying advertisements next month asking sex partners to "play safely" as a way to avoid being stricken by acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS), despite fears that the ads will offend riders. The ads will appear in 80 Rapid Transit District buses beginning in June. The RTD originally refused to carry the ads but changed its mind after months of negotiations with L.A. CARES, the state-funded group sponsoring the ads. The ads feature an actress portraying a mother wearing an apron and holding a wooden spoon while saying, "Play Safely." Below is a caption which reads, 'L.A. CARES . . . like a mother.' "

Ms. Rubenstein gave an interview for the Advocate last year.  View a video of it on YouTube.

Some Ads Are More Equal Than Others

Despite protests about CBS politicizing the Super Bowl by ignoring its history of not running advocacy ads, the television network intends to go ahead and air an anti-choice ad sponsored by the ultra-conservative group Focus on the Family.  That history has included rejecting ads from progressive organizations, such as a 2004 spot by MoveOn.org from the United Church of Christ showing them welcoming outsiders, including a gay couple.

Credo Action is asking for signatures for an online petition.  "The Super Bowl is America's annual most-watched television event; more than 98 million Americans tuned in last year. And as anyone who's ever been to a Super Bowl party knows, the ads can be even more closely watched than the game, which is why CBS must not unfairly allow anti-choice commercials while rejecting those for other causes."

In Memoriam

A former Forum member, Garry Hunsaker ("Garry_LH") of Mexico, Missouri, passed away on January 19th. 

killersmom recalled that "Garry's story is on page 50 of Beyond Brokeback. It is a long post and very very good. I am quoting the first and last paragraphs of his post.

"What is it with this movie? It keeps kicking me around. It's like everything I shoved away, just so I could survive, has decided to visit me in full measure. All I got are fragments, dreams of what might has been in my own life----if only I hadn't spent the first half of it as Ennis without a Jack.

It is because this movie seems to speak deeply to only some of its audience that I feel this brilliant film may be more of the realm of Spirit than its more mundane counterparts. For some of us, it is as though this movie has been sent so that we can let go of our own shadows. For if this movie has one message, it is 'Grab life by the horns and ride it for all it's worth' because life is [as] short as the flesh is mortal. Make every moment count, and in the end, you'll know life has been good.
"

Tiger's New Movie

KittyHawk shares the latest variation on the Brokeback poster: "Tiger's new movie."

gnash:  "Brokeback II -- the king of clubs."

Click here for a full-sized view.

Fun Question of the Week

This week’s Question: Can you name the artist and the song which contains the line: Love when you can, cry when you have to, be who you must, that's a part of the plan. Await your arrival with simple survival, and one day we'll all understand?

Let us know your answer in the response thread.

Last week's question and answer:   Which is the only country in the world with the Bible on its national flag?

The coat of arms on the national flag of the Dominican Republic has a bible, a cross of gold, 4 Dominican flags and two spears.

The Forum Image

Miaisland has shared some previews of spring, at Life Through the Lens 4.   

"Longing for spring... My favorite plant shop."

And Cowboy Up! has been popular enough to be in its second edition. 

posted by CellarDweller115.

Quote of the Day

“Evil is always unspectacular and always human. And shares our bed...and eats at our table."

~ W.H. Auden ~

Photo Captioning Classic

Marz does a slight film crossover, at Photo Captioning Fun 3.

Jack: please please please                                                                                                       

Ennis: jack i told you i don't have a bat mobile i can't afford one, i've only got a pick up!!!!

Contributors: Donna, Nax, HR, brokebacktom, KittyHawk, gnash, fritzkep, Marz, Miaisland, CellarDweller115

Calendar of Events

If you have ideas about initiating a gathering, go to Start Your Own Threads
and get the ball rolling to plan a get-together near you.

A Night At the Movies
Paris - February 16

Annie Proulx at "The Cabin"
Boise, Idaho USA - February 16

Let us know of any events you’d like listed here.

The Daily Sheet is a production of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum at www.davecullen.com/forum.

Today's edition by Marge_Innavera

Formatters: denim girl, gnash

Today’s edition formatted by denim girl

Editors emeritae: CactusGal, Marge_Innavera, tellyouwhat, Stilllearning, MissYouSoMuch

We count on you to send us your news items, questions, and nominations for posts of the day.
If you have items you’d like to see published, send them to marge_innavera or gnash.

Researchers: BayCityJohn, Killersmom, Kittyhawk, Marge_Innavera, Stilllearning

To subscribe to The Daily Sheet, click the “Notify” button at the top or bottom of the page.
When a new issue of TDS is posted, you will be notified by e-mail.

The Daily Sheet Archives
Respond to The Daily Sheet

Offline Stilllearning

• Daily Sheet Staff
  • Obsessed
Re: The Daily Sheet February 1 - 15, 2010
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 06:16:33 AM »

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The "Ex-Gay" Alternate Universe

Patrick Strudwick has written articles published in The Independent, The Guardian, The Times and The Observer.
Last spring, journalist Patrick Strudwick discovered that the "ex-gay" movement had made inroads in the UK.  Professor Michael King of University College in London discovered that one in six psychiatrists and psychologists in the UK had 'sought to reduce or change a patient's sexual orientation,” and sometimes their bills were reimbursed by the National Health Service (NHS).

Strudwick decided to find out what approach "conversion" therapy took and what effects it could have, and attended a conference headed by an evangelical group posing as "Matthew", a potential conversion therapy client.  His exploration discovered decades-outdated theories and counseling techniques with disturbing similarities to the disastrous "false memory syndrome" approaches of the 1980s.

After an introductory talk by the conference’s star lecturer, Dr. Joseph Nicolosi of the National Association for Research and Therapy of Homosexuality (NARTH),  Strudwick made appointments with David, a psychiatrist and Lynne, a psychotherapist and member of the British Association of Counselors and Psychotherapists (BACP).

Following a common practice in gay “conversion” circles, Lynne rarely used terms like ‘gay’, instead employing the pseudoscientific acronym “SSA” (same-sex attraction).  Lynne emphasized to “Matthew” that his attraction to other men was a symptom of a psychic injury in the past and then tried to find one.  She questioned him about whether his mother had had a difficult birth, whether there was any Freemasonry in the family (“that often encourages it as well”) and whether he had been abused or bullied.  “I think it will be there,” she responded to Strudwick’s denial that he hadn’t been abused growing up.  It does need to come to the surface.”

David focused more specifically on sexuality but he, too, looked for damage or a “wound.”  That focused on Strudwick’s mention that he resembled his mother more than his father, who’d been very “scientific and introverted.”  David advised Strudwick to “touch and affirm himself” while standing in front of a mirror naked” and to “go for a massage as a way of having healthy contact [with another man].”  He also counseled Strudwick in detail about the “cannibalistic” nature of homosexuality,

Strudwick’s follow-up investigation revealed that David’s supervisor was affiliated with the International Healing Foundation, headed by Richard Cohen who was permanently expelled from the American Counseling Association in 2002.  A doctor at a nearby surgery denied Lynne’s claim that he had ever referred clients to her, and when he described the session to Dr. Michael King, the researcher’s reaction was that [Lynne’s] membership in the BACP should be immediately revoked.”

For the complete story about Strudwick's investigation, and its effect, see The Independent.

ExGay Survivors Spotlighted in Sydney

The Box Turtle Bulletin reports that "Anthony Venn-Brown, of Australia’s Freedom 2 b[e] is organizing a group of ex-gay survivors to march in the February 27 Sydney Mardi Gras Parade. Sydney’s Mardi Gras is the perhaps the largest gay pride celebration in the world."

Noting that "pressure to conform and live as heterosexuals is much more intense for those who come from faith backgrounds and Christian churches," Mr. Venn-Brown emphasized that the message to be sent was "a positive one; celebrating our journeys to resolution and self-acceptance. By marching together we also send a positive message to people in churches who are still locked in a prison of self-hatred.  This year, Freedom 2 b[e] (a network of people from Pentecostal, Charismatic and Evangelical backgrounds) celebrates the journey survivors have travelled to rid ourselves of damaging and outdated beliefs. Beliefs that said homosexuality was a sin, sickness or the result of a dysfunctional family upbringing. We are no longer victims of our own or others ignorance."  Mr. Venn-Brown encouraged ex-gay survivors, family and friends to participate, but asked that they register by Friday.

Fans in Academia

BayCityJohn reports that "there's a lot written about Brokeback Mountain that we rarely get the chance to read or hear, essays and other writings that are never published online.

"Professor Samuel Coale of Wheaton College in Massachusetts is working on a presentation, The Cinematic Techniques of "Brokeback Mountain", for the American Literary Association's annual conference in Boston in 2011."

Professor Coale's academic interests are diverse enough to have produced writings with "Hawthorne as Early Icon: The Mystery of Silence," "Psychic Visions and Quantum Physics: [Joyce Carol] Oates' Big Bang and the Limits of Language" and "Paradigms of Paranoia: Conspiracy in Contemporary American Culture and Fiction."  He saw Brokeback 19 times in theatres, and has shared an essay that he wrote in 2006.

"The world of Ang Lee’s film is stark and stunted, lives of 'quiet desperation,' people so hunkered down in their horizontal, hardscrabble lives—by gender, class, sex, geography—they don’t even seem to realize how dwarfed and muted their souls and lives are. They inhabit a realm of emotional lockjaw that for some reason has come to pass for masculine self-reliance and self-sufficiency: American traits, tough, constricted, often dysfunctional.

"But I’ve known passion.  And love.  And loneliness.
    And what Proulx in her story describes as
   “some shared and sexless hunger.”
    These are part of the human condition, I think, that cuts to the bone.

"Backplate" for night effects scene

And as I get older, I come to recognize that that hell-to-breakfast, bare-assed eruption of first love, of sexual ecstasy met head-on early on probably won’t happen again.

I don’t think I miss it.  I’m still very much in love.  And comfortable.  And life is full to bursting.
    But a part of me misses it: those first times, that sudden flowering like lava, guns going off.
    But at some dark, distant core, somewhere inside the marrow of the bones lurks an abiding sense of loss.  
    Wordsworth said it once:  “Places have we all within ourselves where all stand single.”

Read the whole essay at How Brokeback Affected Me.

Singing in the 'Hinterland'

"They came. They sang. They wore pink cowboy hats"
The San Francisco Gay Men’s Chorus current “Freedom Tour” is taking them into potentially hostile territory.  They are concentrating on California communities that had supported the anti-gay Proposition 8 amendment, including Redding, Chico, Bakersfield, Fresno and Tracy.

In Redding, the 90-man choir performed in the 1,000-seat Cascade Theatre.  A local organizer got nervous when initial ticket sales were slow: “I thought ‘oh God, no one is going to show up,’ and then tickets just took off.  I have never been prouder of my hometown.”  The show sold out, as did the next one in a smaller venue in Chico.

These are not neutral performances that just happen to be taking place in red-state towns.  Songs about homophobia and gay-bashing (“William’s Song”) are mixed with affirmations (“If You Were Gay”) and energetic gospel (“Oh Happy Day”).  But more importantly, although the performers have heard catcalls, many members of the generally conservative audiences are there because a friend or family member is on the stage.  This is the essential goal of the tour: to personalize the fight for equality.  “It was impossible,” a reporter remarked, “not to notice that [the choir members] looked like our sons, our brothers and our fathers.”

The performances have special meaning for many people both onstage and in the audience.  Choir member Marc Savitt did not come out to his mother until age 40, and told her at the time that he hoped she would love him for “what he was, rather than what she [wished] he was.  Bud Dillon, who didn’t come out till he was 30, found himself singing in his home town at one stop, with nearly 100 people turning out to see him including his grandfather, a Seventh-Day Adventist minister.  Choir member Brian Jung got an unexpected hug from an audience member who told him that “until now, we felt like [we were] the only parents in Shasta County with a gay child.”

See the San Francisco Chronicle for the full story.

The Edgar

Dave Cullen reports that Columbine "has been nominated for an Edgar Award, and as of yesterday, B&N's [Barnes & Noble's] Discover Award.  The winners will be announced at awards ceremonies in NYC: March 3 for the Discover Award, April 29 for the Edgar."  

The Edgar is the Edgar Allan Poe award for "the best in mystery fiction, non-fiction and television" for the year, with Columbine nominated this year for the best 'fact crime' book.  The Edgar Awards will be presented to the winners at our 64th Gala Banquet, April 29, 2010 at the Grand Hyatt Hotel, New York City.

Click here to view Dave's complete list of awards for Columbine.  You can order the book through the Forum's Ultimate Amazon Connection.

Brokeback History: The Laundry Apartment

Harley and Cindy Brown

In findingbrokeback.com, Jim Bond wrote that the laundry apartment's "real-life owners, charming Albertans Cindy and Harley Brown, hosted Ang Lee and the Brokeback production team in 2004.  Since then, they have graciously welcomed hoards of visitors from all corners of the world."

In a 2007 interview Cindy Brown recalled that "Darryl Solly [locations manager] walked in out of the blue one day. He asked to look at the building. Harley showed him all three apartments."  The upstairs apartment had a tenant, "a single lady with kids", had lived there for 12 years and agreed to a payment to move out temporarily.  She passed away from cancer a year later.  The upstairs has two other apartments, with one tenant becoming a minor nuisance during filming and another who, the Browns found out later, charged a fee for allowing people to have their pictures taken there.  The tenants, Cindy Brown said, "come and go."

"Harley had read the short story," she recalled, "and knew what it was about. We thought, 'Oh, it will be a fine, low-budget movie; we’ll never hear about it again.' That is what we thought. We did not dream it would be nearly as popular as it has become. Had we known, we might have left the apartment the way it was when they were filming!

laundry apartment April 2004

laundry apartment two months later,
as seen in the film

"They were very good about everything," she recalls about the film crew.. 'Can you water the lawn? We’ll pay you!'   'Can we store something here? We’ll pay you!'   'Can we do this? We’ll pay you!' And I think we got paid well. They paid us for the filming and for the loss of business."  The filmmakers made some outside modifications, including the stairway enclosure for the reunion scene.  She recalled that the actors could not talk with anyone the day this scene was filmed, as it was "a very sensitive scene. . . .Harley knew that is why they built that stair enclosure. He knew that beforehand."

"I remember them working into the night. And those lights! Especially for the Fireworks scene. We were out there until 2:00 in the morning! And after we returned home we finally heard the fireworks go off at 4:00! I remember it being cold; we had to have blankets.

"My uncle was out there that night. He owned a couple of vehicles that were in the movie. The one Jake drove, the blue truck, it belongs to him. I saw him driving it yesterday. He supplied them with an old car, as well. I do not know if you can see it in the movie, but he had a car in there, too."

The Browns got to see the finished movie in Fort Macleod on January 19, 2006.  "I saw the movie a few times. Now, when I watch another movie, I wonder where that building is. I think, 'Whose house is that?” I wonder if they will restore it when they are done!'  It was interesting during the special showing in the [Empress] theatre because it was noisy. You know how people can be noisy, eating popcorn, whispering, and all. But when a couple of those scenes came on when they were together, you know, you could hear a pin drop. The theater got so quiet!"

The Browns kept a special souvenier of the Laundry Apartment scenes: a reproduction of Ennis' and Alma's wedding photo, which was restored by FindingBrokeback's webmaster Barry Gilligan.  "I took a photo of the del Mar wedding picture. And we have some pictures of our kids sitting on their couch! And we have great memories."

For a more complete history of this part of Brokeback and for the complete interview, see FindingBrokeback.com.  

Click for a video visit to the Laundry Apartment on YouTube.

Courtesy of fritzkep, posted at Movie Location Photos.

Happy Valentine's Day!

This one has made the rounds for awhile, but is still a Valentine's treat for Jake fans.

And a Brokeback Valentine, shared by CellarDweller115 in Photo Captioning Fun 3:

Happy Valentine's Day, Photo Captioners!

Jack Wannabe:  Hey, we ain't Jack or Ennis, but ya think they'll accept our Valentine wishes?

Ennis Wannabe:  I reckon so.  We are two cowboys being all romantic like.  What's better than that?

Topic of the Week

This week's topic is one that has inspired a lot of speculation: the differences between "short story Ennis" and "movie Ennis."

When comparing "Short-story Ennis" to "Movie Ennis", there are some differences.  The SS and movie both contain the "dozy embrace" and the "reunion kiss".  However, in the SS, Ennis calls Jack "Little Darlin'", a term of affection.  Also, when comparing the "Siesta", "Movie Ennis" really didn't say much.  In the SS, Ennis talks about how good the sex with Jack is, and also admits to "wringing it out" to memories of sex with Jack.

Is SS Ennis more able to accept his homosexuality and relationship with Jack?  Would you say that SS Ennis is affectionate with Jack?

Share your interpretations at Topic of the Week: 72nd Edition.

Fun Question of the Week

This week’s Question: Can you solve these word puzzles?

Number 1:          Number 2:          Number 3:          Number 4:

gesg                  STANDS             GR 12" AVE        MEREPEAT
segg                  0_23456789
gegs
gges

Let us know your answer in the response thread.

Last week's question and answer: Can you name the artist and the song which contains the line: Love when you can, cry when you have to, be who you must, that's a part of the plan. Await your arrival with simple survival, and one day we'll all understand?

Way to go garyd and huntinbuddy, the answer is indeed Part of the Plan by Dan Fogelberg. Thanks trinket for playing along!

The Forum Image

fritzkep shares a few vintage rail travel posters, at Railfans.  

Click here for a larger view.

jnov has some striking photos from a trip to the United Arab Emirates including architecture,
wildlife and urban street scenes, at Life Through the Lens 4.

"this is the Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan Mosque in abu dhabi.  it is incredibly impressive."

"the two sides of UAE culture, belly dancing and religious conservatism"

Quote of the Day

“There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness but of power.
They are messengers of overwhelming grief and of unspeakable love."

~ Washington Irving ~

Photo Captioning Classic

bubba at Photo Captioning Fun 5.

Ennis:  You ever get the feelin'... I don't know, er... when you're in town and someone looks at you all suspicious,
like he knows? And then you go out on the pavement and everyone looks like they know too?

Contributors: fritzkep, jnov, BayCityJohn, bubba, CellarDweller115

Calendar of Events

If you have ideas about initiating a gathering, go to Start Your Own Threads
and get the ball rolling to plan a get-together near you.

A Night At the Movies
Paris - February 16

Annie Proulx at "The Cabin"
Boise, Idaho USA - February 16

Let us know of any events you’d like listed here.

The Daily Sheet is a production of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum at www.davecullen.com/forum.

Today's edition by Marge_Innavera

Formatters: denim girl, gnash

Today’s edition formatted by denim girl

Editors emeritae: CactusGal, Marge_Innavera, tellyouwhat, Stilllearning, MissYouSoMuch

We count on you to send us your news items, questions, and nominations for posts of the day.
If you have items you’d like to see published, send them to marge_innavera or gnash.

Researchers: BayCityJohn, Killersmom, Kittyhawk, Marge_Innavera, Stilllearning

To subscribe to The Daily Sheet, click the “Notify” button at the top or bottom of the page.
When a new issue of TDS is posted, you will be notified by e-mail.

The Daily Sheet Archives
Respond to The Daily Sheet
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 09:12:35 AM by Marge_Innavera »