The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Daily Sheet February 16 - 28, 2010  (Read 16409 times)

Offline Stilllearning

• Daily Sheet Staff
  • Obsessed
The Daily Sheet February 16 - 28, 2010
« on: February 20, 2010, 04:53:34 AM »

Saturday, February 20th, 2010

McMurtry, Ossana Have Special Bond

When asked for an interview, Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana strike up a private comedy routine instead.

The Oscar-winning "Brokeback Mountain" screenwriters, who live in Tucson at Ossana's home, insist on being interviewed simultaneously, the same way they'll speak to readers March 14 at the Tucson Festival of Books.

They carry on a patter worthy of an improv stand-up act, with McMurtry playing the self-deprecating, curmudgeonly codger and Ossana his whip-smart, insult-dispensing foil, the two taking turns one-upping each other with one-liners.

McMurtry's latest book in a long, illustrious career is "Literary Life: A Second Memoir," which was published by Simon & Schuster in December, and says a third memoir, on his life in film work, will come out later this year.

McMurtry, 73, says he could still write despite his poor vision, "if I had anything to write, but I don't. I turned in three memoirs within a year."

"In general, I'm just pretty cranky," he said. "I'm funnier the grouchier I get."
"It's not intentional," Ossana deadpanned.

McMurtry went into a Seinfeldian rant on the deterioration of air travel, noting the tedious security, the stale air inside the plane and the rudeness of passengers.

"It used to be a pleasant experience," he said. "Now it's a hellish experience."

"He drives instead," Ossana interjects, "but he complains about that, too."

"Driving has its advantages," McMurtry continues, unflapped. "But I'm not flying unless somebody sends a Learjet for me."

The Tucson Festival of Books will be March 13-14 on the University of Arizona campus. Attendance and parking are free. For more information, to follow the festival through e-mail newsletters, or if you'd like to volunteer at the event or make a tax-deductible donation (under "friend of the festival"), go to www.tucsonfestivalofbooks.org

Read more. Source: azstarnet.com

Iowa Republicans Forced to Wait Four Fuckin' Years

Republicans failed on Tuesday in their effort to start the process of amending the Iowa Constitution to ban gay marriage -- meaning it will likely be 2014 at the earliest before voters could decide on the issue.

The Republican lawmakers tried procedural moves to pull measures out of committees and force a vote, but they couldn't get enough votes in either the House or Senate.

"There are a lot of folks out there who say they support traditional marriage," said House Minority Leader Kraig Paulsen, R-Hiawatha, "This is an opportunity to back that up."

Democrats, who hold majorities in both chambers, responded that lawmakers have their hands full with budget problems and don't have time for a gay marriage debate.

"We're not going to get bogged down this session with divisive social issues," said House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, Des Moines.

Read more. Source: chicagotribune.com

Gays in the Military, Onstage

The timing for Yank!—a musical about two World War II servicemen who fall in love, becoming part of a thriving underground gay-military scene—could not be more perfect. But despite the show’s obvious parallels to the latest “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” debate, its creators stress that Yank!, which begins an Off Broadway run this week, is not political.

“If there is any political aspect to it, it’s that it says gays have served in the military throughout history and gays will continue to serve, and that gay love and gay lives matter and should not be forgotten or swept under the carpet,” says book and lyrics writer David Zellnik, who created Yank! with his brother, composer Joe Zellnik.

The show, which premiered at the New York Musical Theatre Festival in 2005 before having short runs in Brooklyn (at the Gallery Players) and then in San Diego, is back with what the writers say is their “dream team,” including original director Igor Goldin and Ragtime star Bobby Steggert as Stu, the part he played when Yank! was in Brooklyn. The latest production also includes new staging, one new song and a dream ballet, “because what’s a ’40s musical without a dream ballet?” asks David, laughing along with Joe as the two animatedly share tales of both Yank! and the Zellnik-brother partnership over coffee near Union Square on a recent afternoon.

Bobby Steggert and Jeffry Denman
Just two years apart—David is 38 and Joe is 40—the New York–born Zellniks have always been close (including with their third sibling, Miriam, with whom Joe has cowritten mystery novels). Having grown up in a South Jersey household with their amateur-musician father’s four pianos and various other instruments, they have always been musical, as well. “Our mother was very artsy and pushed us into being theatrical,” Joe notes. “She was probably the only Jewish mother who would have been very disappointed if we turned out to be doctors and lawyers.”

The boys—who adored performing pieces out of their Cole Porter and Rodgers and Hammerstein songbooks—wrote their first song together when they were just 11 and 13; they cowrote their first show in high school.

And yes—they’re both gay.

Now, as the Zellniks gear up for the show’s Off Broadway debut, they are bursting at the idea of such a love story reaching its widest audience yet. “I think Brokeback Mountain was a great breakthrough for gay romance, because the gay cowboy movie was just a joke beforehand,” Joe says. “I don’t want to say this is our version of it, but people do watch it and say, ‘Oh! I get it!’ You just tell a story and suck the audience in, and then they treat it as a romance. They want to see whether these two people end up together. And the fact that it’s two men? Well, it’s just the obstacle of their circumstance.”

Read more. Source: newyork.timeout.com

Michelle Willilams in Shutter Island

DiCaprio, in his most haunting and emotionally complex performance yet, is the vessel Scorsese uses to lead us through the film’s laby rinth. Adapted from Dennis Lehane’s novel by Laeta Kalogridis (Pathfinder), the twisty — maybe too twisty — script lets us know Teddy is a hard-drinking World War II vet with a quick fist. And flashbacks to his strained marriage to Dolores (Michelle Williams) show equal trauma at home.

-- Peter Travers, Rolling Stone

Read more. Source: awardsdaily.com

Was Anti-Gay Bias At Work In Men's Figure Skating Decision?

Flamboyant skater Johnny Weir fell out of the top tier of competition, taking sixth place in the Men’s Figure Skating contest at the Winter Olympics in Vancouver; meantime, two Australian sports announcers known for their laddish banter drew criticism for the homophobic tone of their commentary regarding the sporting event. Viewers were left to wonder: just how much did anti-gay bias affect the final results?

While commentators Eddie McGuire and Mick Molloy were referencing the gay-themed movie "Brokeback Mountain" and jibing that one skating contestant’s being heterosexual was a shock, the judges were using a new scoring system that placed greater emphasis on certain technical aspects--to the detriment of the athlete who had been favored to win, Russian skater Yevgeny Plushenko, who reckoned that he’d have taken the gold if the judges were using the previously employed scoring system.

Commenting on the costumes worn by the skaters, Molloy remarked, "They don’t leave anything in the locker room these blokes, do they?"

"They don’t leave anything in the closet either, do they?" rejoined McGuire, who went on to suggest that the presence of a heterosexual skater in the competition was a rarity. Apologizing later, Molloy added a barb: "I suggested that there was a disaster happening at the ice skating rink because organizers had found out one of the male ice dancers wasn’t gay. And I apologize for that really sincerely. But it definitely wasn’t this guy." Molloy was referring to Weir, who was clad in dramatic attire and carrying a prop in the shape of a heart.

Read more. Source: edgeboston.com

Axels of Evil

If dreams don’t express repressed emotions, maybe YouTube does. Remember those online videos from 2006 that added the “Brokeback Mountain” score to clips from movies like “Titanic” and “Fight Club”? You can still find many of them on YouTube. They seem to uncover a hidden gay love story in nearly every American blockbuster.

YouTube videos have now taken to decoding the esoteric meaning of another art form: the sport of figure skating. This time, the videos aren’t focused on a gay subtext. Instead, by editing together striking moments from spectacle skating, they seem to tease out a veiled death wish, apparent in figure skating’s injuries, accidents and death-themed theatrics.

There is something ominous in the juxtaposition of vulnerable and underdressed women, melodramatic choreography involving moves called “death spirals” and “death drops,” sharp steel blades and skull-cracking ice. Maybe the shockumentary “mondo” potential of skaters on film should have been obvious. Certainly it is in these videos. In portentously played scenes of pairs skating, especially, men drop women in bone-splintering spills, over and over and over. Sometimes blood can be seen as it pools on the silver ice.

Read and see more. Source: nytimes.com

Brokeback Mountain Part of Queeries Film Series

“Queeries,” a unique and long-awaited monthly LGBT film series, premieres at Wealthy Theatre on March 19 at 8 p.m.

“Queeries” will feature prominent and cutting-edge LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bi-Sexual and Transgender) movies in a majestic, safe, smoke-free environment. Tickets are half-price for members of Community Media Center, who also receive bar privileges at Wealthy Theatre - the only brew ‘n view in Grand Rapids!

Titles range from the Oscar-nominated “Brokeback Mountain” to the critically acclaimed documentary “Hannah Free,” which was made in Michigan, directed by former Grand Rapidian Wendy Jo Carlton.

Each movie will be briefly introduced by community leaders and speakers. The premiere (March 19, 2010) title, “Hedwig & The Angry Inch” will be introduced by Tommy Allen (G-Sync, Rapid Growth Media), Colette Seguin Beighley (Exec. Director, GVSU LGBT Resource Center) and Jena Lewis, trans-educator/activist.

Download the program poster. Read more. Source: grcmc.org

WikiWhat? Johnny Weir

John G. "Johnny" Weir (born July 2, 1984) is an American figure skater. He is a three-time U.S. National Champion (2004-2006), the 2008 Worlds bronze medalist, a two-time Grand Prix Final medalist and the 2001 World Junior Champion.

At the 2010 United States Figure Skating Championships, he was nominated to represent the United States at the 2010 Winter Olympics.

Weir was born in Coatesville, Chester County, Pennsylvania to parents John and Patti Weir. He has a brother, Brian, who is four years younger. Weir was raised in Quarryville, Pennsylvania, a town in southern Lancaster County.

Although he began skating at the relatively late age of 12, Weir progressed quickly through the ranks. He performed an Axel jump in his first week on skates. His parents could not afford to support both his figure skating and his equestrian pursuits, so young Johnny reluctantly gave up his pony, My Blue Shadow, and turned his focus completely to figure skating. He competed in pair skating with Jodi Rudden on the juvenile and intermediate levels, but gave it up to concentrate on single skating.

In July 2008, the United States Figure Skating Association and Skating Magazine announced Weir as the winner of the 2008 Reader's Choice Award for Skater of the Year, an annual trophy voted upon by skating fans and awarded to the American skater or skating team whose achievements were of the highest merit in the previous season.

Unlike most figure skaters, he is a clockwise spinner and jumper.

Read more. Source: wikipedia.org

Fun Question of the Week

This week’s Question: Keeping in mind the ancient Olympics, what are the origins of the words "stadium" and "gymnasium"?

Let us know your answer in the response thread.

Last week's question and answer: Can you solve these word puzzles?
And it was thought that these were challenging, but apparently not for garyd who got them all right! Way to go!

Number 1:
gesg
segg
gegs
gges
Answer: Scrambled eggs
Number 2:
STANDS
0_23456789
Answer: No one understands
Number 3:
GR 12" AVE
Answer: One foot in the grave
Number 4:
MEREPEAT
Answer: Repeat after me

Post of the Day

Posted by BayCityJohn in Leisure Activities: Vancouver Olympics 2010

"Lyle: here's the lyrics [to the Olympic Hymn]:

Αρχαίο Πνεύμα αθάνατο, αγνέ πατέρα
του ωραίου, του μεγάλου και του αληθινού,
Κατέβα, φανερώσου κι άστραψε εδώ πέρα
στη δόξα της δικής σου γης και τ' ουρανού.

Στο δρόμο και στο πάλεμα και στο λιθάρι
Στων ευγενών αγώνων λάμψε την ορμή
Και με το αμάραντο στεφάνωσε κλωνάρι
και σιδερένιο πλάσε και άξιο το κορμί. (δις)

Κάμποι, βουνά και θάλασσες φέγγουνε μαζί σου
σαν ένας λευκοπόρφυρος μέγας ναός.
Και τρέχει στο ναό εδώ προσκυνητής σου (δις)
Αρχαίο Πνεύμα αθάνατο, κάθε λαός. (δις)"

Join in the fun on the thread devoted to the Winter Olympics XXI.

The Forum Image

Posted by Janie-G in BBM Fanart

"This is a quick sketch using chalk on black textured paper."

Quote of the Day

“The important thing in life is not victory but combat;
it is not to have vanquished but to have fought well.”

~ Pierre de Coubertin ~

(French Educator, primarily responsible for
the revival of the Olympic Games in 1894.)

Photocaption of the Day

By Lyle (Mooska) in Photo Captioning Fun 5

dumbass questions

Jack:  "If we had a television what would we watch?"

Ennis:  "We'd watch television, duh. I ain't that stupid."

Contributors: Janie-G, BayCityJohn, Lyle (Mooska)

Calendar of Events

If you have ideas about initiating a gathering, go to Start Your Own Threads
and get the ball rolling to plan a get-together near you.

Let us know of any events you’d like listed here.

The Daily Sheet is a production of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum at www.davecullen.com/forum.

Today's edition by gnash

Researchers: BayCityJohn, Killersmom, Kittyhawk, Marge_Innavera, Stilllearning

Editors emeritae: CactusGal, Marge_Innavera, tellyouwhat, Stilllearning, MissYouSoMuch

We count on you to send us your news items, questions, and nominations for posts of the day.
If you have items you’d like to see published, send them to gnash.

To subscribe to The Daily Sheet, click the “Notify” button at the top or bottom of the page.
When a new issue of TDS is posted, you will be notified by e-mail.

The Daily Sheet Archives
Respond to The Daily Sheet

Offline Stilllearning

• Daily Sheet Staff
  • Obsessed
Re: The Daily Sheet February 16 - 28, 2010
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 05:22:38 AM »

Saturday, February 27th, 2010

James Schamus to receive San Francisco's Kanbar Award

Focus Features CEO James Schamus will receive the San Francisco Film Society’s Kanbar Award for excellence in screenwriting.

Schamus will collect the honour on April 29 during the 53rd San Francisco International Film Festival, which runs from April 22-May 6.

The Kanbar Award acknowledges “the crucial importance of a script in the production of an exceptional film.”

Schamus will take part in an onstage interview on May 1 with critic and cultural theorist B Ruby Rich, followed by the West Coast premiere of the newly completed director’s cut of Ride With The Devil.

Read more. Source: screendaily.com

Jake Gyllenhaal 'Thinking Woman's Action Hero' Says 'Persia' Director

'You wanted women to be interested in him not just as a piece of eye candy,' Mike Newell says.

Though he packed on the muscle to become Prince Dastan, who must deliver the magical Dagger of Time to an ancient temple while avoiding the nasty demon on his trail, Gyllenhaal didn't make for the archetypal Hollywood hero of all pecs and no brains.

"You couldn't just have a hunk," said Newell ("Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire"). "He's got a sort of cheeky, devil-may-care light in his eye and at the same time he has a sensitivity, delicacy and thinness-of-skin. He is glorious looking, but you wanted more than that. You wanted women to be interested in him not just as a piece of eye candy. ... It was a huge opportunity to do a thinking woman's action hero."

'Prince of Persia' opens 28 May 2010 (USA)

Read more. Source: mtv.com

All Hail the White Queen!

ANNE HATHAWAY stars as the White Queen in ALICE IN WONDERLAND, a 3D fantasy adventure featuring stunning, avant-garde visuals and some of the most charismatic characters in literary history. Hathaway [is] Harvard's 2010 Hasty Pudding Woman of the Year Award recipient... From visionary director Tim Burton, Walt Disney Pictures' ALICE IN WONDERLAND hits U.S. theaters March 5, 2010.

Read more. Source: businesswire.com

Why Are There No Gay Footballers?

My ex-girlfriend physically despises professional organised sports. Apart from figure skating. But then, she is Canadian. And Canadians notoriously have difficulty understanding any sport that doesn’t involve ice. Or snow. Or both.

Above all sports, however, she had a particular dislike for football (or “sah-kerr” to use her North American terminology). The instant football came on the TV she would magically produce a book or magazine and start reading, steadfastly refusing to glance at the screen even for a millisecond. Unless of course Cristiano Ronaldo was playing. She liked CR9. Although I’m pretty sure it wasn’t his sporting prowess she was admiring.

Other than Ronaldo, the only other aspect of association football that fascinated my ex was the inherent homoeroticism of the game. She would point out homoerotic aspects which many ‘sah-kerr’ fans choose to ignore but, when examined, are clearly present. E.g. that 60,000 men (and football crowds still are 90% male) crammed into a stadium very close to each other watching 22 men run around in tight shorts, mimicking the players’ kisses, cuddles and embraces that follow each goal, is quite a ‘gay’ thing to do.

Bear in mind she is a staunch supporter of gay rights and has more gay friends than any other straight person I know. Her point was that the majority of the men doing these ‘gay’ things at football matches are, generally, rather homophobic. The beautiful irony she saw in fat, unfashionable, largely illiterate, straight men getting “all homosexual” with each other was hilarious to her. “Are you off to the game now to be gay with your friends and all the other guys?” she would goad. “It’s not gay,” I would respond, “it’s what’s known as male bonding. It’s about as non-gay an activity as you can get”. But I was only fooling myself. It is gay. It’s very, very gay.

Read more. Source: ponderboxes.blogspot.com

Ewan McGregor: Filthy & Gorgeous

The Scottish actor has never been afraid to take chances, drop his trousers, or kiss a boy. Now he comes clean.

There are two things my mother knows about Ewan McGregor: He wrote 'Atonement', and he loves dropping his trousers. One out of two ain’t bad. “I always try not to limit myself in all respects,” explains McGregor in a Scots brogue softened by years in London and, more recently, in Los Angeles, where he lives with his wife, Eve, and three daughters. “Sexuality is just one of them. I could understand saying ‘I would never do gratuitous nudity.’ Wait. No. I probably would. I’d probably be quite happy to.” In fact, as my mother correctly remembers, he has. Since his first full-frontal exposure -- during a rehearsal for a play about the Holocaust at Guildhall School of Music and Drama -- hardly a year has gone by without McGregor’s privates being committed to celluloid. “I remember getting a kind of rush out of that first time, a slight feeling of power about it, you know?” recalls McGregor. His butt, since its magnificent sliding debut in 'What the Butler Saw', has been seen by millions and his penis has appeared on-screen so often -- in 'Trainspotting', in 'The Pillow Book', in 'Velvet Goldmine' -- it deserves its own Oscar nod.

The far-flung legend of McGregor’s penis, casting its long shadow over the Hollywood Hills -- though accurate -- distracts from a quietly courageous and wildly varied acting career. He’s not just some one-trick cock-flashing pony. That the long-delayed and finally upon us 'I Love You Phillip Morris' -- a very good, very, very gay film slated for release in March -- isn’t an aberration but one of McGregor’s more mainstream films testifies to his unusual oeuvre. Like many of McGregor’s choices, 'I Love You Phillip Morris' is an uneasy film. Based on a true story (and a 2003 book by Steve McVicker) the movie follows Steven Russell, played by Jim Carrey, a charming con man and an incorrigible escape artist. In 1995, during a stint in the Harris County Jail in Houston, Russell meets Phillip Morris -- played by McGregor as a blond Southern belle of a man -- in the jail’s library. Morris was reaching for a copy of The Federal Reporter on a high shelf. Their eyes met, sparks arced, Russell came on hard, and Morris, happy as a cat, purred and arched into the hand that pet him.

Read  more. Source: out.com

Army Chief Warns About Ending 'Don't Ask' Quickly

Activists pushing for a speedy repeal of the 17-year-old old federal law banning openly gay Americans in the military have had much to celebrate in recent weeks.

Endorsements for repealing the ban have rolled in this year from military leaders ranging from Secretary of Defense Robert Gates and Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Adm. Mike Mullen, to former Vice President Dick Cheney.

Independent Sen. Joseph Lieberman of Connecticut says he plans to introduce the Senate's first bill calling for repeal; a House repeal bill has 187 co-sponsors.

And Tuesday a California-based research group released a study that found more than two dozen foreign militaries have had almost uniform success in quickly integrating gays and lesbians into their ranks — without damage to morale or readiness, and without establishing separate facilities.

But the very real roadblocks still facing those who advocate an end to the Clinton-era "don't ask, don't tell" law have also been on display.

Army Chief of Staff Gen. George Casey told the Senate Armed Services Committee on Tuesday that he has "serious concerns" about rolling back the ban while the nation is waging two wars.

It's a view strongly shared by Marine Commandant Gen. James Conway and by Mullen's predecessor, Gen. Peter Pace, who once called homosexuality "immoral."

Read more. Source: npr.org

Gay Groups Invited To March In Lunar New Year Parade

In a historic first, gay and lesbian groups marched through the streets of Chinatown Sunday in the festive Lunar New Year parade.

And they invited the Indian and Irish gays, too.

Wearing rainbow bandannas, about 300 gays and supporters waved versions of the fish and the phoenix, traditional Chinese symbols for prosperity and renewal.

They were joined by drummers and even a costumed tiger with its own rainbow armbands.

"We are ecstatic. It's a huge step forward," said Irene Tung, 31, a spokeswoman for Q-Wave, which led the gay contingent.

It was made up of marchers from groups that included St. Patrick's Day for All and the South Asian Lesbian & Gay Association, which have been barred for years from the annual St. Patrick's Day and India Day parades.

Watch a video and read more. Source: nydailynews.com

State Dept Issues Travel Alert for Mexico Border

The US State Department this week reissued its travel alert for Mexico, despite mounting evidence that – drug-gang beheadings and Al Capone-style massacres aside – America’s southern neighbor is actually getting safer.

Mexico’s homicide rate has fallen steadily from the highs it reached in the late 1990s, according to both Mexico’s Department of Public Safety and the Citizens’ Institute for Crime Studies, an independent nongovernmental organization in Mexico City. By the institute’s findings, Mexico fares better in terms of security than many other Latin American countries including Brazil, Venezuela, and El Salvador. And in terms of large cities, Mexico City’s crime rate is on a par with that of Los Angeles.

The Mexico alert, issued Monday, calls particular attention to drug-related violence in the states of Michoacán, Durango, Coahuila, and Chihuahua, and it advises US citizens to avoid unnecessary travel to those areas. In December and January, four US citizens were killed in Gómez Palacio, Durango.

The alert also emphasizes the acute violence of Ciudad Juárez, a city of 1.3 million people contiguous with El Paso, Texas. The northern Chihuahuan city’s more than 2,600 murders in 2009 made it one of the world’s deadliest places. Such violence is what leads to the Mexico travel alert – even though Professor Bagley says that Mexico overall “paints a very different picture.”

Read more. Source: csmonitor.com

Jake Dons Tennis Shorts
for Vampire Weekend Video

Fans can now add "ace tennis player" to the list of Jake Gyllenhaal's many talents. The actor is part of a superstar cast for Vampire Weekend's new video for 'Giving Up the Gun,' which also brings together another fine tennis player, Joe Jonas, as well as Wu-Tang Clan's RZA and Lil Jon. The clip is a stylish but decidedly weird dreamlike sequence where Vampire Weekend video muse Jenny plays the tennis game of her life.

Read more and watch the video. Source: spinner.com

"Brokeback Mound" Brings Laughs in Minnesota Show

Is Brett Favre gay? Are Twins sluggers Joe Mauer and Justin Morneau secret lovers?

These are just two of the questions that animate "Brokeback Mound," one of the hilarious skits in the Brave New Workshop's latest show. The answers to such queries are suggested in a song called "What Joe Doesn't Know," a mock musical-theater number that's a solid hit.

The Workshop is great at coming up with comically suggestive titles. "How to Make Love Like a Minnesotan III: The Full Montevideo," which opened last weekend in Minneapolis, is even funnier than its handle.

At the outset, Joe Bozic, a member of the company, tells us that we will be offended.

But, to quote a muttering Supreme Court justice at the State of the Union address: not true.

Read more. Source: startribune.com

Matt Damon and Jake Gyllenhaal Turned Down 'Avatar'

In another universe, Jason Bourne or the Prince of Persia might have been running around the jungles of Pandora.

"Avatar" director James Cameron spoke to both Matt Damon and Jake Gyllenhaal  about playing the role of Jake Sully in the sci-fi epic that now stands as the biggest moneymaker in the history of Hollywood with $2.5 billion in worldwide box office.

Both stars, perhaps leery of a blue-in-the-face gig, declined, and the filmmaker instead went with his first choice -- unknown Aussie actor Sam Worthington, who was living in his car before he got the job.

Read more. Source: latimes.com

Fun Question of the Week

This week’s Question: What was unique about the Top Five spots on the April 4th, 1964 Billboard singles chart - something that has never yet happened again?

Let us know your answer in the response thread.

Last week's question and answer: Keeping in mind the ancient Olympics, what are the origins of the words "stadium" and "gymnasium"?

Huntinbuddy appears to be our resident Olympic expert! Thanks for the Olympic-information.

"Athletes in the ancient Olympic Games would participate in the nude. The word gymnasium comes from the Greek root 'gymnos' meaning nude; the literal meaning of 'gymnasium' is 'school for naked exercise.'

"At the first recorded ancient Olympic Games, there was only one event - the stade. The stade was a unit of measurement (about 600 feet) that also became the name of the footrace because it was the distance run. Since the track for the stade (race) was a stade (length), the location of the race became the stadium." Source

Post Of The Day

By suelyblu in Coming out: how and why?

This is not a "coming out" as you know it. My husband and I have had numerous conversations, arguments, reasonings about gay men and women over the years. I have always been very accepting of other peoples life and sexual choices...but he always had a very closed mind. I have cajoled him into seeing movies and plays with a gay theme. But it wasn't till he saw "BBM" that I saw a "shift" in his mindset. We talked and I asked him what he thought and did he think it was right that outside forces should have the right to keep two people apart who obviously love and need each other?? He had to admit the film made him think. But it wasn't until we saw the film "Milk" a couple of weeks ago...that I knew the thaw had really take place in him.

And today....in conversation with friends ....the topic of gay relationships came up.....and out of the blue....my hubby just came straight out and said " It wouldn't concern me if one of my kids came home with a same sex partner now...in the past...yes...but not now". And he meant it. God Bless him. That is our "coming out" story.

The Forum Image

Posted by UltraViolet at Jake's Eyelashes

"New photo of Jake and Tobey Maguire, from the NY Times Magazine Performers of the Year in Film"

Quote of the Day

“I’m always interested in playing different people, in different situations.
It doesn’t matter to me whether someone is in love with a man or a woman.
I find the idea of love and romance interesting. I’m a sucker for it. I like
playing someone who’s falling in love because I like the sensation of it.
People do extraordinary things when they’re falling in love.”

~ Ewan McGregor ~

From his recent interview in Out Magazine.

Photocaption of the Day

By doodler in Photo Captioning Fun 5

An early snow storm stranded Ennis and Jack
at Don Wroe's cabin one year...

Contributors: UltraViolet, testadura, trekfan, suelyblu, doodler

Calendar of Events

If you have ideas about initiating a gathering, go to Start Your Own Threads
and get the ball rolling to plan a get-together near you.

Let us know of any events you’d like listed here.

The Daily Sheet is a production of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum at www.davecullen.com/forum.

Today's edition by gnash

Researchers: BayCityJohn, Killersmom, Kittyhawk, Marge_Innavera, Stilllearning

Editors emeritae: CactusGal, Marge_Innavera, tellyouwhat, Stilllearning, MissYouSoMuch

We count on you to send us your news items, questions, and nominations for posts of the day.
If you have items you’d like to see published, send them to gnash.

To subscribe to The Daily Sheet, click the “Notify” button at the top or bottom of the page.
When a new issue of TDS is posted, you will be notified by e-mail.

The Daily Sheet Archives
Respond to The Daily Sheet
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 05:07:15 PM by gnash »