The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Daily Sheet July, 2010  (Read 8540 times)

Online killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
The Daily Sheet July, 2010
« on: July 06, 2010, 12:40:23 AM »

Tuesday, July 6th, 2010

Iceland's Prime Minister First World Leader with Same-Sex Spouse

Iceland's Prime Minister is now the world's first national leaders with a same-sex spouse. On Sunday Prime Minister Johanna Sigurdardottir, 68, married her long time partner, writer Jonina Leosdottir. The marriage fell on the international day for gay rights, which was also the first day Iceland legalized same sex marriage as a "union between two consenting adults regardless of sex."

Sigurdardottir and Leosdottir celebrated their union with a Lutheran church ceremony. The Prime Minister's office said she sent a message to the gathering calling the new law a "cause for celebration for all Icelanders."

She added "I have today taken advantage of this new legislation."

Read more. Source: examiner.com

A ‘Kagan Doctrine’ on Gay Marriage

ELENA KAGAN uttered neither the word “gay” nor “marriage” in her opening statement at the Senate confirmation hearings on her nomination to the Supreme Court, but she addressed the issue nonetheless. No, she didn’t say how she will vote when gay marriage comes before the court, as it may soon. What she did say was this:

“The Supreme Court, of course, has the responsibility of ensuring that our government never oversteps its proper bounds or violates the rights of individuals. But the court must also recognize the limits on itself and respect the choices made by the American people.”

Ms. Kagan may not have had gay marriage in mind when she made that statement, but it could not be more relevant. She seems to be saying that protecting minority rights is the Supreme Court’s job description, but also that a civil rights claim doesn’t automatically trump majority preferences. This is something absolutists on both sides of the gay marriage debate don’t like to hear, but it has the virtue of being right.

Jonathan Rauch, a guest scholar at the Brookings Institution, is the author of “Gay Marriage: Why It Is Good for Gays, Good for Straights and Good for America.”

Read more. Source: nytimes.com

A Stonewall Veteran, 89, Misses the Parade

At noon on Sunday, thousands of marchers filled Fifth Avenue for New York City’s annual gay pride parade. Nearly six miles away, on the sixth floor of a nursing home in Brooklyn, the frail, white-haired woman in beige pajamas and brown slippers in Room 609 sat motionless at the edge of her bed, staring out her window.

She touched the medallion on her necklace — an image of St. Jude, the patron saint of lost causes — and fiddled with one of her rings.

“This one,” she said of the ring on a pinky finger, “I hit a guy so hard I knocked the stone out, and I hadn’t gotten around to put it back yet.”

She had forgotten that the gay pride march was Sunday. Her mind and her memory are not as sharp as her wit and her tongue. She said she had been living there, at the Oxford Nursing Home, for years (she arrived in April). She was not sure how old she was (she will be 90 in December).

The woman in Room 609, Storme DeLarverie, has dementia. She is but one anonymous elderly New Yorker in a city with thousands upon thousands of them. And many of those who marched down Fifth Avenue on Sunday would be hard pressed to realize that this little old lady — once the cross-dressing M.C. of a group of drag-queen performers, once a fiercely protective (and pistol-packing) bouncer in the city’s lesbian bars — was one of the reasons they were marching.

Los Angeles Film Festival 2010: Coffee Talk -- Film Composers

"A film can be beautifully written, directed, acted, and filmed, but until there is music, the true heart and emotion will be always missing. Music is a powerful tool, especially when paired with images, which makes the use and placement of it incredibly important.

"The three musicians that made up the Los Angeles Film Festival’s panel of composers were BT (THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS, MONSTER), Moby (SOUTHLAND TALES, GO), and Gustavo Santaolalla (BABEL, BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN). Before getting involved in contributing music for film, all three were already successful in the music industry in a variety of different outlets. Because of this, getting involved with a film project was based on their connection to the film itself or the people involved with it, rather than the need or overall desire to compose.

"Each is a unique personality and artist unto themselves, but when it came to the reasons each would (and has) agreed to work on a film, their answers were surprisingly similar. Santaolalla noted that he has to have an emotional connection to a film and feel that he could create music to accompany that feeling. Moby agreed, noting that for him, an emotional or creative connection happens with more odd and idiosyncratic films as he finds unconventional juxtaposition the most compelling. Moby joked that he is actually terrified of people in general (directors especially) and preferred to just make his music based on the film itself rather than interacting with the film’s director. BT said his reasoning fell somewhere between Santaolalla and Moby in that he needed to see that “point of connection between cinema and music” as well as enjoy the people working on the film to want to commit to spending that kind of time working together.

"The “courtship” process was a bit different for each, but related back to their original desires to get involved with a film. Santaolalla first got involved in composing when the director of AMORES PERROS (Alejandro González Iñárritu) tracked him down and begged him to watch his film because Iñárritu felt Santaolalla’s musical style would be the perfect compliment to it. Upon watching the first scene, Santaolalla readily agreed and signed on to the project. Santaolalla had his recorded work used in films before, but this was the first time he actually scored a film.

"Moby claims he would say yes to working with anyone, as long as the interaction could be mainly via email and he could just send the tracks he creates in his home studio to the director, rather than creating alongside them. Moby prefers to get involved at the beginning or the end of a project, refusing to get involved in the middle because he has found that is often when a director makes decisions based on fear rather than the original intent of the film. Moby explained that at the beginning of a film, he can just send off his work and let them use it how they see fit and at the end of a film, there is usually not enough time for the filmmakers to “fuck with” the music.

"Santaolalla works in slightly similar way as the projects he has worked on were either completed by the time he came on board or were only at the script stage when he began composing. He explained that his approach to creating music for a film is to go simply off the emotion of the story itself. He composed all the music for BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN prior to filming, which allowed director Ang Lee to play the music on set for the actors to help them get in the emotional mindset of the scene. Santaolalla prefers minimalist music and hates when music manipulates the emotion of a scene. Although he wrote specific cues for certain scenes in BROKEBACK, he was not sure where Lee would end up placing them (although he ended up agreeing with Santaolalla and used the majority of the cues as Santaolalla had originally intended)."

Read more. Source: gordonandthewhale.com

A Life in 100 Films: Brokeback Mountain

There’s very little that comes close to the wondrous, disorienting feeling we experience when emerging from a darkened movie theatre into the brutal light of a sunny day, our bodies fooled into nocturnal reflexes by the artificial darkness and, perhaps, the dream-like nature of film projection. We advance half-blind into a dangerous world rich with demands – gone is the passive anonymity of the cinema - and possibility. We adjust, feeling our way cautiously, to an environment where narrative is not pre-determined, and begin again the difficult process of writing our own life story.

Exiting a movie theatre in the morning – more so than late at night when the responsibility of debrief can be surrendered to sleep, delegated to the subconscious - is an invitation to take a cold hard look at one’s life (in light perhaps of the lives freshly depicted on screen) and remind oneself that unlike a character in a film, the screenwriter's puppet, one is largely responsible for one’s destiny.

In the fall, industry delegates flock to the Toronto International Film Festival from around the world in the thousands, hunting for unseen cinematic treasure to buy, distribute, promote, review or program. I’d come from Sydney as a festival programmer, on behalf of Manchester’s 2006 Commonwealth Film Festival (the program of which I’d agreed to research while a replacement of myself was being sought) and of my own festival production company, which I’d newly moved to Australia to create.

Films at the festival have both public and private screenings. Armed with a Sales & Industry pass, a delegate often catches 5 or 6 films in a row, with press & industry screenings beginning as early as 8 in the morning. It was at such an untimely hour that I saw Brokeback Mountain for the first time.

When Ang Lee’s film premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival in September 2005, it did so discreetly, unencumbered by the buzz (and its corollary, expectation) it would later carry on the road to worldwide release and the holy grail of so called quality American cinema, the Oscars.

Read more. Source: mattriviera.net

Pride Films and Plays: Anyone interested in tackling these projects?

We are excited about fine writing for films like ‘Brokeback Mountain’, ‘Milk’, and “A Single Man” to name a few.

And we hope to foster excellent writing with our Great Gay Screenplay Contest, produced in association with Chicago Filmmakers. Plays with GLBTQ themes have had a major impact on our cultural identity. To remind both our artists and our audiences of great gay writing throughout history, we launched our play reading series "Five Decades of Great Gay Plays" in May and June 2010. Featuring works from the '60s to the '00s, the series included Mart Crowley's Boys in the Band, Lanford Wilson's Fifth of July, William M. Hoffman's As Is, and Jonathan Harvey's Beautiful Thing, and Richard Greenberg's Take Me Out.

In August and September, we explore the “Great Plays of Terrence McNally” including The Lisbon Traviata, Love! Valour! Compassion!, Corpus Christi, The Ritz, and the Chicago premiere of one of his newest plays, Some Men.

Later we will be doing staged readings of great screenplays including Brokeback Mountain, Milk, Gods and Monsters, and A Single Man to name a few, and we are looking for help to put this series together.

And we have gotten many requests for readings of works with lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered themes. Anyone interested in tackling these projects?

Read more.  Source: pridefilmsandplays.com

San Francisco Celebrates Pride

Check out last weekend's
40th Annual San Francisco LGBT Pride Celebration‎
in photos taken by BayCityJohn.

Ryan McGinley Interviews GILLES LARRAIN

I can’t remember when I first saw the book Idols by Gilles Larrain. All I know is that ever since I got it, it’s been a huge influence on me. Idols is one of the best photography books I’ve ever seen. It was published in 1973 and it’s a collection of studio portraits of trannies, gender-benders, and just generally awesome-looking people in New York City. It’s an incredible time capsule. There are Warhol people, Taylor Mead and Holly Woodlawn, and members of the San Francisco–based psychedelic drag-queen performance troupe the Cockettes. The,re’s a photo of the artist Al Hansen, aka Beck’s grandfather, covered in silvery paint and dressed up like some kind of Roman soldier, and an unrecognizable teenage Harvey Fierstein, looking like a young pretty Jewish lady (well, almost). Most important, these people all had the best style. The greatest fashion always originates with drag queens. The outfit you’re wearing today was probably invented by a drag queen ten years ago.

I recently visited Gilles in his huge studio on Grand Street in Soho. You can walk by it and see his photos of Jack Walls and Robert Mapplethorpe arranged in the window. Inside, it’s a cavernous converted warehouse stuffed with his artwork. Photos from his series on flamenco dancers, elaborate collages of nudes covered in fruits and tattoos, and many photos of musicians taken mostly in the 80s, ranging from Sting and Billy Joel to Nina Hagen and Miles Davis. Propped up in one corner is a large photo of Phoebe Cates and Jennifer Jason Leigh, circa Fast Times at Ridgemont High, snuggling nude under a blanket together.

We sat down in his kitchen, surrounded by hanging copper pots, and I tried my best to decipher what the hell he was saying in his low, raspy voice with its thick French accent.

Vice: The photos from Idols were first published in a French magazine called Zoom in 1972. Did you shoot them as an editorial for the magazine?

Gilles Larrain: No, I never shoot anything for any purpose. I shot them because I found those people crazy enough and fascinating enough to be photographed. I saw some of them at Max’s Kansas City and I thought, “I have to get those guys in the studio.” I became friends with Taylor Mead and John Noble. One came, then they all came.

Read more.  Source: viceland.com

Happy To Be Gay!

T-shirts with witty one-liners, an e-bookstore and a dedicated gay travel boutique - customised products have become increasingly popular among India's gay community looking at new ways to assert its identity a year after the Delhi High Court decriminalised homosexuality.

Sanjay Malhotra founded Indjapink, India's first dedicated online gay travel boutique, nearly two years back and has catered to around 500 high-end foreign and Indian tourists.

The Delhi-based firm organises special tours to holiday spots in Himachal Pradesh, Rajasthan and Kerala among others and charges approximately $200 (over Rs.9,000) a day.

Asked if the July 2, 2009, Delhi High Court verdict had resulted in more customers for him, Malhotra replied in the affirmative.

"Yes, definitely it has. The Indian queer community is free from discrimination and India is an inviting place now. The verdict has improved India's image and we should use this tourism potential," the 40-year-old told us.

Read more.  Source: timesofindia.indiatimes.com

Which Shirtless Guy Would You Take to a Fourth of July Beach Party?

At the end of the day on the Fourth of July, Jakey
was the winner in this POPSUGAR poll:

Who's That Boy?

"You're nineteen, guess you can do whatever you want."

Click image.  Source: viceland.com

Fun Question of the Week

This week's question: Which country's flag is just a solid rectangle of color? What color is it and what does it mean?

Let us know your answer in the Response Thread.

Last week's question and answer: Which of these popular fast food restaurants boasts the most outlets in North America -- McDonald's, Subway, or KFC? garyd got it right when he chose Subway. Subway boasts 33,067 restaurants in 91 different countries, and 23,353 of them are in the United States.

Post of the Day

By michaelflanagansf in The Cullen Café

"When I was in high school and in 'therapy' through Catholic Social services to 'turn' me they recommended that I go on dates. I was actually very popular with the girls, because I was a complete gentleman. 

"But regarding breaking the engagement - when I was in college a pal of mine from high school who knew my story came to me shortly before his wedding and 'confessed' that he thought he might be bisexual. I said - loudly and firmly - STOP THE WEDDING!!! He was very worried that he would hurt his fiance. I explained that he would be hurting her more if he married her and was confused about his sexual orientation. He followed my advice and is now married to a man in Massachusetts."

The Forum Image

Posted by Trigger Hippie in Life Through The Lens 4

Quote of the Day

"I had been to New Mexico many times. I loved it. It's a very exotic,
interesting, severely crazy environment. I don't know if I could
live there all year. It's such an intense place."

~ Campbell Scott ~

Photo Caption of the Day

Posted by CellarDweller115 in Photo Captioning Fun 5

Jack: Uh, nice set up here, Ennis. So which trailer is yours?

Ennis: The one on top, of course.

Contributors: BayCityJohn, killersmom, michaelflanagansf, Trigger Hippie, CellarDweller115

Calendar of Events

If you have ideas about initiating a gathering, go to Start Your Own Threads
and get the ball rolling to plan a get-together near you.

Fifth Anniversary Screening of Brokeback Mountain
and the staged reading of selections from Beyond Brokeback

Los Angeles, CA, December 11th, 2010

Let us know of any events you’d like listed here.

The Daily Sheet is a production of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum at www.davecullen.com/forum.

Today's edition by gnash

Researchers: BayCityJohn, Killersmom, Kittyhawk, Marge_Innavera, Stilllearning

Editors emeritae: CactusGal, Marge_Innavera, tellyouwhat, Stilllearning, MissYouSoMuch

We count on you to send us your news items, questions, and nominations for posts of the day.
If you have items you’d like to see published, send them to gnash.

To subscribe to The Daily Sheet, click the “Notify” button at the top or bottom of the page.
When a new issue of TDS is posted, you will be notified by e-mail.

The Daily Sheet Archives
Respond to The Daily Sheet
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Online killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
Re: The Daily Sheet July, 2010
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 12:57:30 AM »

Tuesday, July 13th, 2010

Robbie Williams & Gary Barlow Film 'Brokeback Mountain' Video

Robbie Williams is rejoining TAKE THAT for an album and tour - and a video with GARY BARLOW based on Brokeback Mountain.

The announcement will end years of speculation about whether the singer, 36, would ever get back with the group he quit in 1995.

They will release the album at Christmas, and then embark on a major stadium tour next summer.

But first Robbie and Gary will warm up with the video likening their love-hate relationship to the tormented gay cowboys in the 2005 flick.

The tongue-in-cheek promo will accompany single Shame, which Robbie and Gary, 39. co-wrote.

It is about Robbie's feelings for the boyband - famed for hits including Back For Good. He was the fifth member after joining in 1990 at 16.

Read more. Source: whatsonxiamen.com

Override Hawaii Gov. Lingle's Veto of Civil Unions

Jonathan Capehart: In agreeing with Van Jones and his “We’re a little spoiled” critique of progressives who aren’t willing to take incremental gains, I acknowledged that “it’s difficult to tell those pushing for equality to wait until conditions are more favorable for success or to even accept a portion of what they’re asking for as a down payment.” The veto of the civil unions bill in Hawaii is Exhibit A in why gay men and lesbians are right to boil with frustration and anger.

I’m all for the courts stepping in to right an injustice, especially when it is reinforced by the people either at the ballot box or through their elected representatives. But what was happening in Hawaii was the optimal way for granting same-sex couples the same rights and responsibilities as married heterosexuals. The duly elected legislature overwhelmingly passed a civil unions law. The state Senate approved it 18 to 7 back in January. The Hawaii House of Representatives followed suit in April by a vote of 31 to 20. All that was needed was the governor’s signature.

Gov. Linda Lingle (R) put on a good show in weighing her decision whether or not to veto. She had meetings and phone calls with those in favor of and against same-sex marriage. After all, even though HB 444 was a civil union bill, the battle was over marriage equality. Lingle vetoed the legislation on Tuesday. “I have been open and consistent in my opposition to same gender marriage and find that HB 444 is essentially marriage by another name,” she said.

And then Lingle did the unthinkable. She advocated putting the rights of a minority up for a popular vote.

Read more. Source: voices.washingtonpost.com  Graphic: impeachlingle.org

Mexico City Sees 271 Gay Weddings in 4 Months

Read more at washingtonpost.com

Ugandan Gay Activist Found Beheaded

NOTE: This story has been proven to be a hoax.

Uganda has been in the headlines ever since a lawmaker there last year proposed legislation that would punish some gays with the death penalty. But it would seem that some in Uganda are not waiting for the bill to pass into law: a priest has vanished after delivering a sermon urging compassion for gays, and a young GLBT equality activist, who had also disappeared, has been discovered dead--his head severed from his body and thrown down a latrine.

The dismembered head of Pasikali Kashusbe, who, together with his partner--referred to only as "Abbey"--worked with GLBT equality group Integrity Uganda, was found in a latrine on a farm that reportedly belongs to the chairman of the country’s electoral commission, Badru Kiggundu, reported Box Turtle Bulletin on July 5. The grisly discovery was made as searchers looked for some trace of Rev. Henry Kayizzi Nsubuga, an Anglican priest who had vanished after delivering a sermon supportive of GLBTs. Kashusbe had reportedly been a worker at the farm.

Read more.   Source: edgeboston.com

Our Lesbian Brokeback

Kathy Wolfe founded Wolfe, an exclusive distributor of LGBT movies, 25 years ago and is the current CEO.

People often ask my perspective on which movies I think are the most significant lesbian films ever released. As the founder of Wolfe, the world's largest exclusive distributor of lesbian and gay movies, I have been working with lesbian film and lesbian filmmakers since 1985.

I've seen the landscape change drastically over that time--from the 1985 release of Donna Deitch's Desert Hearts, through the indie-lesbian film boom of the mid-'90s (which included Lisa Cholodenko's High Art), though the amazing box office success of Bound to the upcoming July 9th theatrical release of Lisa's latest project, The Kids Are All Right.

Ever since we were lucky enough to attend Lisa's world premiere at the Sundance Film Festival this past January, we've been describing The Kids Are All Right around the office as "the lesbian Brokeback."

Read more. Source: bilerico.com

Coming Out in Hollywood

James Franco is poet Allen Ginsberg in "Howl,"
the opening film for the 28th Outfest.
The 28th Los Angeles Gay and Lesbian Film Festival will open with 'Howl.'

Can openly gay actors convincingly play straight characters?

That question was raised in a controversial article published by Newsweek in April, which referenced "Glee" star Chris Colfer and Broadway actor Sean Hayes. Now, the issue is being tackled at this year's 28th Outfest, the Los Angeles Gay and Lesbian Film Festival, which begins on Thursday and runs through July 18.

On July 17, the festival will host a panel titled "Coming Out in Hollywood." Veteran publicist Howard Bragman will discuss the subject with "Family Ties" actress Meredith Baxter and other industry insiders.

"We thought it was important to try and bring the conversation further along," said executive festival director Kirsten Schaffer. "I happily welcome the debate, because I think it's through conversation that we can actually make some headway and make some change happen, because if we don't talk about it, then no change happens."

Read more. Source: latimes.com

Donald Windham, Novelist and Memoirist, Dies at 89

Donald Windham, a novelist and memoirist who left vivid pictures of literary life in New York, both fictional and factual, when he was an intimate of Tennessee Williams, Lincoln Kirstein and Truman Capote, died on Monday at his home in Manhattan. He was 89.

Mr. Windham, who briefly shared a Manhattan apartment with Williams and collaborated with him on the play “You Touched Me!,” plunged into the thick of New York’s artistic life after arriving on a Greyhound bus from Atlanta at the age of 19. He formed friendships with Kirstein, George Platt Lynes, Christopher Isherwood, Glenway Wescott and the artists Paul Cadmus and Jared French.

In 1942 he began collaborating with Williams on “You Touched Me!,” based on a story by D. H. Lawrence. It opened on Broadway in 1945, after “The Glass Menagerie” had established Williams as the theater’s brightest new star.

His novels and stories often touched on gay themes, which exposed him to critical contempt, notably with the publication of “Two People” (1965), about a love affair between a New York stockbroker whose wife has left him and a 17-year-old Italian boy in Rome. The novel was savagely reviewed and failed commercially. It was recently republished by Mondial.

Why are Naked Men Playing Baseball in the Great Library of Congress?

VGMH (Vintage Gay Media History) figures that any excuse for nine athletic men to strip down naked together is a good thing, so finding out that there's legitimate vintage artwork (versus something scribbled on the urinal privacy screens with a sharpie pen in the men's room) is downright fantastic! Now, the idea of having no protection while playing baseball may not be the best idea in the world, but what the heck. After all, the mural was designed to be similar to ancient Greek and Roman athletes, befitting the architecture of the Great Hall in the Library of Congress.

You have to really know where to look and what you're looking for, but the painting, which has been on the library's ceiling since 1897, includes one man who holds a catcher's chest protector and another guy who has a catcher's mask, but otherwise, they're stark naked.

<--- Click image to enlarge.

Read more. Source: vintagegaymediahistory.com

Is a GBF (Gay Best Friend) the New Must-Have Accessory for Teen Girls?

He's fun, trust-worthy, and supportive, plus you don't have to compete with him. He's your gay best friend--and he's in demand.

This spring, sixteen-year-old Mimi* noticed a new trend at her Pacific Palisades, California, high school. The must-have items for her fashionista classmates included a Proenza Schouler tie-dyed top, a shrunken military jacket, neon-bright chunky bracelets, and . . . a gay best friend.

"A few years ago, all the popular, pretty girls were walking hand in hand with a preppy jock," she says. "Now you'll see them in hallways with a Mulberry bag on one arm and a Johnny Weir look-alike on the other." She says one girl at her school even recently tweeted: "OMG, watching Glee makes me wish I had a guy like Kurt in my life."

The "GBF" phenomenon--wherein a stylish leading lady has a gay best friend, or "gay boyfriend"--has definitely picked up over the past decade. Sex and the City's Carrie and Stanford, Clueless's Christian and Cher, and, of course, Will and Grace paved the way for more-recent It couples like Ugly Betty's dynamic assistant duo Marc and Amanda, Gossip Girl's Jenny Humphrey and Eric van der Woodsen, and High School Musical's Sharpay and Ryan Evans.

Being part of a GBF couple has become the new platonic ideal. "It's a little ridiculous how in demand a gay best friend has become in the past year," Mimi says. And Katie,* 20, from Dallas, finds the new cultural infatuation with gay stereotypes absurd. "I hate all the tired tropes perpetuated by the media," she says. "My best friend, Brett,* isn't some superfabulous style consultant that I take shopping and sing show tunes with."

Read more. Source: teenvogue.com

Text Art Creations: It's the Joker

Source: tutorial9.net

Christopher Nolan Explains The Joker

BATMAN director Christopher Nolan says Heath Ledger was the "definitive Joker" and cannot be replaced.

Nolan says he plans to bring back Batman for another film, but the Joker, the villain played so maniacally in The Dark Knight by the late Ledger, won't be there.

Nolan would not disclose what villain or villains might take on Batman in the next film, due out in 2012, but he confirmed the Joker won't be among them.

"For me, Heath was the definitive Joker," Nolan said in an interview to promote Inception, his latest sci-fi thriller. "It wouldn't feel appropriate to readdress that character."

Read more. Source: heraldsun.com

Brunching Outdoors: Heath's Five Leaves

Planning on attending the Aug. 5th Brokeback Mountain screening, outdoors by the bridge in Brooklyn, NY? It's on a Thursday. Perhaps you can make a day of it and enjoy brunch earlier in the day down at the popular nearby dining hot spot, Five Leaves:

"Heath Ledger planned this Aussie-inspired Greenpoint cafe, but didn't live to see the gem created with money from his estate. During peak hours, the wait can be long, so get there early to beat the rush (they open at 8am). The sidewalk is constantly mobbed with disaffected models and tattooed locals, but just head to the bar while you wait and order a bloody Mary. They add cornichons making them extra tangy and delicious."

Five Leaves, 18 Bedford Avenue (at the corner of Lorimer Street), opens at 8am.

(photo via Plato Putas)

Read more. Source: brooklyntheborough.com

A Four Part Video Interview With The Author of 'Columbine'

One of the best non-fiction books I have read in a long time, is Dave Cullen's Columbine. Released last year, the book went on to become a New York Times bestseller. But what it also did was clear up a lot of the gray smoke still shrouding the 1999 school shooting at Columbine High. ...  

For our interview, Kasey Carpenter, longtime Workshop member turned journalist, flew out to Denver, CO to visit with Dave at his writing studio. Dave, being a burgeoning enthusiast for video, set up his handy HD flip and over the course of four 10-14 min segments talked about everything from the media, to the killers, to even the publishers that released the book.

Below are the four segments of the entire interview. We had to set up a brand new Vimeo account to house all these, as YouTube won't let you go past 10 mins clips unless you're the Whitehouse. Enjoy!

Watch videos and read more. Source: chuckpalahniuk.net

Gay Troops to be Surveyed About Their Own Inclusion in the Military

As part of a yearlong review process to determine how best to repeal the law that bans openly gay Americans from serving in uniform, U.S. troops will have a chance to make their opinions known through a survey on the issue and related matters. But there’s controversy present in the survey itself, as advocates for GLBT troops warn that there are inadequate protections in place to protect the confidentiality of gay troops whose participation in the survey could violate the terms of the law by outing them.

The stories of GLTB troops who serve under the terms of the ban are indispensable for gaining a comprehensive picture of how to set aside the 17-year-old ban. But under the law’s provisions, it’s possible that anyone who self-identifies as gay or lesbian in the course of answering the survey could face disciplinary action and separation from the service.

The law, known as "Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell" (DADT) was implemented in 1993, after then-president Clinton failed to integrate America’s fighting forces. In the 17 years since then, an estimated 13,000 servicemembers have been discharged for being gay or lesbian--including a number of specialists with "mission-critical" skills such as linguistics abilities that are key to tracking the movements of factions that might pose a risk to Americans at home and abroad, such as terrorists.

In a May 20 article, the Boston Globe reported that the Department of Defense had subcontracted the survey to Westat, an outside research firm, in order to ensure that the surveys would be conducted in confidentiality and spare the military from the dilemma of having to decide how to handle cases in which gay troops seeking to cooperate with the survey identify themselves as gay, making themselves liable to discharge as a result. The survey is supposed to include the views of about 350,000 servicemembers, and GLBTs are intended to be part of the mix.

Read more. Source: edgeboston.com

Sketch to Screen: Brokeback Mountain

Another screening of our favorite movie, this time in Oklahoma City!

When:

Thursday, Aug 5, 2010 7:30pm- 9:30pm

Where:

Oklahoma City Museum of Art
415 Couch Drive, Oklahoma City, OK 73102
(405) 236-3100

Visit okcmoa.com for more info.

Vintage art from allposters.com

Who's That Boy?

"I like photos of movie stars of the 1940s & 50s (and before & after),
and I like "physique" or beefcake photography of the same era (and
before & after). I also like photos of more 'ordinary' people from
that time, slices of everyday life in those days served up by the
camera."

Source: wehadfacesthen Click image for another view.

Fun Question of the Week

This week's question: Celebrated actress Marilyn Monroe is a Hollywood icon whose life was cut short by an untimely death. When and where was her last public appearance? Here's a hint: MD.

Last week's question and answer: Which country's flag is just a solid rectangle of color? What color is it and what does it mean?

fritzkep was correct when he said, "The flag of Libya is a rectangle of solid green. Gaddafi wanted to purify Islam at the time, and green is the color of the prophet." And according to mapsofworld.com: The Libya Flag was officially adopted on November 11, 1977. It is the only flag in the whole world with just one single color. There are no designs, insignia or other details on the flag of Libya.

Post of the Day

By Lyle (Mooska) in Awards Aftermath - Part 2

Is it a co-incidence, or...?

Ever since Brokeback Mountain did not win the Best Picture oscar, ampas has chosen a gay host (Ellen) and then openly gay director Bill Condon to produce them the following year and then openly gay Adam Shankman last year. Next year we have openly gay producer Bruce Cohen producing them, who, along with openly gay Dan Jinks, were the producers of the film Milk.

Bruce Cohen and Don Mischer to Produce 83rd Academy Awards® Telecast

"Beverly Hills, CA (June 22, 2010) — Academy Award®-winning producer Bruce Cohen and acclaimed television producer/director Don Mischer will produce the 83rd Academy Awards telecast, Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences President Tom Sherak announced this evening. Mischer will also serve as the telecast’s director. This will be the first involvement with the Oscar® telecast for both men, though the two worked together on the Academy’s inaugural Governors Awards event in November of 2009."

Cohen won an Academy Award in 1999 as producer, with Dan Jinks. He and Jinks were again nominated in the Best Picture category in 2008 for “Milk.”

Read more. Source: oscars.org

The Forum Image

Posted by coal615 in Cowboy Up! Favorite Cowboy Pics

Quote of the Day

"We’re thrilled that Today Show’s ‘Modern Wedding Contest’ now recognizes
what most fair-minded Americans have already concluded – a wedding celebrates
love and commitment, whether the spouses are straight or gay"

~ GLAAD head Jarrett Barrios ~

Read more. Source: mediate.com

Photo Caption of the Day

Posted by Marz in Photo Captioning Fun 5

Ennis: house don't look right

Contributors: Lyle (Mooska), coal615, Marz

Calendar of Events

The Daily Sheet is a production of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum at www.davecullen.com/forum.

Today's edition by gnash

Editors emeritae: CactusGal, Marge_Innavera, tellyouwhat, Stilllearning, MissYouSoMuch

We count on you to send us your news items, questions, and nominations for posts of the day.

To subscribe to The Daily Sheet, click the “Notify” button at the top or bottom of the page.

The Daily Sheet Archives
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 06:03:19 AM by gnash »
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Online killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 06:52:08 PM »

Tuesday, July 20th, 2010

Passions Persist on Gay Marriage

The group that helped repeal Maine's law begins a tour here, and the 'enemy' rallies too.

The group that donated nearly $2 million to help repeal same-sex marriage in Maine last year returned Wednesday to start its "Summer for Marriage" tour of states where the issue remains contentious.

The National Organization for Marriage held a 50-minute rally in Augusta's Capitol Park, where speakers urged supporters to be aware of court cases and legislative action in other states, and to stay active in Maine.

The rally, which drew about 100 people on a sweltering day, prompted supporters of same-sex marriage to organize their own event at the State House.

EqualityMaine and other groups held a news conference in the Hall of Flags to talk about why they will continue to fight for same-sex marriage.

Gov. John Baldacci, who signed the marriage bill into law in May 2009, made a surprise appearance at the news conference, prompting the crowd to cheer when he rounded the corner from his office.

"I know we came up a little bit short in the last election, but I think you really did change a lot of minds and hearts," he said.

In the days leading up to the bill's signing, there was doubt about whether Baldacci would support the law. He previously had supported civil unions instead of marriage rights. On Wednesday, it was clear that he has become a strong proponent of same-sex marriage.

Read more.   Source: pressherald.com

What's up with the National Organization for Marriage (NOM)?

Alvin McEwan: Not too many people are noticing this, but that organization, started to supposedly "protect marriage" from us so-called evil lgbts, seems to be going off the deep end in terms of rhetoric.

When it began, NOM cleverly played up the "we are unfairly being called bigots because we simply want to protect marriage" meme. And that was because of the savvy of its founder, Maggie Gallagher.

But now with Gallagher handing the reins of the group to Brian Brown, the organization has abandoned all pretenses of martyrdom and is headed straight for crazy-talk territory.

This was evident when it joined forces in its "Summer for Marriage" tour with one Louis J. Marinelli III, a man who not only cites the discredited work of Paul Cameron, but is also very vocal in the belief that gays want to cause all sorts of mischief from molesting children to creating polygamous relationships.

Read more.   Source: huffingtonpost.com

Argentina Legalizes Gay Marriage in Historic Vote

Argentina legalized same-sex marriage Thursday, becoming the first country in Latin America to grant gays and lesbians all the legal rights, responsibilities and protections that marriage brings to heterosexual couples.

After a marathon debate, 33 lawmakers voted in favor, 27 were against it and 3 abstained in Argentina's Senate in a vote that ended after 4 a.m. Since the lower house already approved it, and President Cristina Fernandez is a strong supporter, it now becomes law as soon as it is published in the official bulletin.

The law is sure to bring a wave of marriages by gays and lesbians who have increasingly found Buenos Aires to be more accepting than many other places in the region.

The approval came despite a concerted campaign by the Roman Catholic Church and evangelical groups, which drew 60,000 people to march on Congress and urged parents in churches and schools to work against passage.

Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio said "everyone loses" with gay marriage, and "children need to have the right to be raised and educated by a father and a mother."

Nine gay couples had already married in Argentina after persuading judges that the constitutional mandate of equality supports their marriage rights, but some of these marriages were later declared invalid.

As the debate stretched on for nearly 16 hours, supporters and opponents of held rival vigils through the frigid night outside the Congress building in Buenos Aires.

"Marriage between a man and a woman has existed for centuries, and is essential for the perpetuation of the species," insisted Sen. Juan Perez Alsina, who is usually a loyal supporter of the president but gave a passionate speech against gay marriage.

But Sen. Norma Morandini, another member of the president's party, compared the discrimination closeted gays face to the oppression imposed by Argentina's dictators decades ago.

"What defines us is our humanity, and what runs against humanity is intolerance," she said.

Read more.   Source: google.com/hostednews

Variety Ad Targets The View

The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, the Black AIDS Institute, and the National Black Justice Coalition took out a full-page ad in Variety on Monday to demand that ABC and The View correct misinformation the popular morning program spread about African-American men and HIV infection on June 22.

According to part of the ad, “On June 22, ABC’s The View aired inaccurate information about HIV, blaming African American gay and bisexual men for increased HIV rates among straight African American women. The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) has publicly disproven this myth. And since June 22, thousands of people have written to ABC, asking that The View provide correct information to viewers. Unfortunately, those requests have been greeted with silence from both ABC and The View.”

The June 22 episode focused on the Food and Drug Administration’s ban against gay and bisexual men giving blood. Host Sherri Shepherd and guest host D.L. Hughley perpetuated the falsehoods about African-American men and AIDS in their comments.

GLAAD issued a call to action on June 24 urging viewers to contact the show and ask for a retraction. More than 3,000 people participated, according to GLAAD.

Read more.   Source: advocate.com  Watch the controversial segment, see transcript excepts, and read more about the call to action here.

Outfest: Movie Honchos Still Think Americans Can't Handle a Gay Superhero

At an Outfest panel on Sunday, gay and lesbian filmmakers gave an inside look at the continuing struggle to get Hollywood studio honchos to green-light big budget films with gay central characters, fearing Americans can't handle homosexuality and those movies will turn into box office losers.

"It's all about the money," said Guinevere Turner, screenwriter of American Psycho and Go Fish.

Outfest, one of the premiere gay and lesbian film festivals in the country, hosted the panel, called "Writers Under the Influence: The Top LGBT Films That Inspired Us," at the Directors Guild of America building on Sunset Boulevard.

During the nearly two-hour discussion, Turner, Making Love screenwriter Barry Sandler, and Boys Don't Cry director Kimberly Peirce, among others, often veered off the panel's main topic and instead brought up the fact that, in 2010, it's still difficult to get financial backing from major studios to attempt to make inspiring gay and lesbian movies in the first place.

Read more.   Source: blogs.laweekly.com   Image via cincywestsidequeer.com

'No Gays' in Aged Care: Study

THE vast majority of aged-care providers do not understand that older homosexual people may be afraid to reveal their sexuality and instead believe they have never had any gay or lesbian residents, Australian researchers have found.

Nearly 90 per cent of aged-care providers who participated in the first Australian survey into their attitudes to gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and intersex people said there were none in their residence, a study by Curtin University and the GLBTI Retirement Association found.

Study leader Jude Comfort said aged-care providers often forgot how different the situation was for homosexual people growing up in the early to middle decades of the last century.

"[When these residents grew up] homosexuality was viewed as a sickness and a sin and it was also on the list of mental illness classifications so they needed to conceal their sexuality," she said. "I think most aged-care providers just don't think about that background."

Read more.   Source: theage.com

Aging and Gay, and Facing Prejudice in Twilight

Even now, at 81 and with her memory beginning to fade, Gloria Donadello recalls her painful brush with bigotry at an assisted-living center in Santa Fe, N.M. Sitting with those she considered friends, “people were laughing and making certain kinds of comments, and I told them, ‘Please don’t do that, because I’m gay.’”

The result of her outspokenness, Ms. Donadello said, was swift and merciless. “Everyone looked horrified,” she said. No longer included in conversation or welcome at meals, she plunged into depression. Medication did not help. With her emotional health deteriorating, Ms. Donadello moved into an adult community nearby that caters to gay men and lesbians.

“I felt like I was a pariah,” she said, settled in her new home. “For me, it was a choice between life and death.”

Elderly gay people like Ms. Donadello, living in nursing homes or assisted-living centers or receiving home care, increasingly report that they have been disrespected, shunned or mistreated in ways that range from hurtful to deadly, even leading some to commit suicide.

Some have seen their partners and friends insulted or isolated. Others live in fear of the day when they are dependent on strangers for the most personal care. That dread alone can be damaging, physically and emotionally, say geriatric doctors, psychiatrists and social workers.

The plight of the gay elderly has been taken up by a generation of gay men and lesbians, concerned about their own futures, who have begun a national drive to educate care providers about the social isolation, even outright discrimination, that lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender clients face.

Several solutions are emerging. In Boston, New York, Chicago, Atlanta and other urban centers, so-called L.G.B.T. Aging Projects are springing up, to train long-term care providers. At the same time, there is a move to separate care, with the comfort of the familiar.

Read more.   Source: nytimes.com

Professor Wins National Award for Work on GLBT Issues

School of Communication professor Rodger Streitmatter is receiving a prestigious national award that recognizes both his teaching and his scholarly work. The Roy F. Aarons Award honors Streitmatter's "tremendous contribution to education and research in GLBT issues," according to the Association for Education in Journalism & Mass Communication. The organization presents the award to no more than one professor each year.

Streitmatter's most recent book, published in 2009, is From "Perverts" to "Fab Five" ~ The Media’s Changing Depiction of Gay Men and Lesbians. It traces how three media genres—TV, film and journalism—have portrayed members of the GLBT community over the last 50 years.

Individual chapters focus on topics such as the TV shows Will & Grace and Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, the films Philadelphia and Brokeback Mountain, and news coverage of issues such as gays in the military and same-sex marriage.

The Award is named for Roy F. Aarons, a reporter for the Washington Post and vice president of news for the Oakland Tribune. He later taught at the University of Southern California and founded the National Lesbian and Gay Journalists Association in the early 1990s. Aarons died in 2004.

Read more.   Source: american.edu

Also by this Author: Remember when Annie Proulx Was Writing About Apples?

Ah, but the little-known book by a well-known author is an old and charmingly dishonorable tradition. Nathaniel Hawthorne tried to track down and burn every copy of his first novel, Fanshawe (1828); his own wife didn't learn of its existence until after he died. Long before Leaves of Grass, Walt Whitman earned a quick $125 by pounding out a temperance novel, Franklin Evans: Or, The Inebriate (1842). Naturally, he fortified himself with hooch while writing his tale of a country boy corrupted by the city and the demon dram. Marketed under the catchy ad slogan "FRIENDS OF TEMPERANCE, AHOY!," it sold well, though few copies were deemed worth saving. "I doubt if there is a copy in existence . . ." an elderly Whitman muttered to his biographer. "In three days of constant work I finished the book. Finished the book? Finished myself. It was damned rot—rot of the worst sort—not insincere, but rot nevertheless: it was not the business for me to be up to."

Other unexpected books, though, stay cheerfully in print after their authors have passed on to fame. My wife used Backache: What Exercises Work for years before noticing one of its co-authors: Dava Sobel. Seems that long before Longitude, Sobel was penning sentences like "Keeping the knee bent, pull your left leg back and toward your buttocks as far as you comfortably can." Not to be outdone, Annie Proulx authored household guides through the early 1980s, bearing stirring titles like Great Grapes and Plan and Make Your Own Fences and Gates, Walkways, Walls and Drives. In fact, Proulx's Cider: Making, Using & Enjoying Sweet & Hard Cider is in its third edition, and I highly recommend it—not least because she includes a schematic for building a still in your kitchen. Yet there is something unaccountably odd about picking up a Pulitzer Prize–winning novelist and reading that you'll be "PLANNING and PLANTING your very own home orchard for the freshest batch of cider ever!"

Read more.   Source: villagevoice.com

The International Gay Rodeo Association's Honorary Grand Marshal: Gregory Hinton

The International Gay Rodeo Association (IGRA) has honored Out West by naming Gregory Hinton Honorary Grand Marshal of the World Gay Rodeo, held in Laughlin, Nevada, October 22-24.

A son of the rural Rocky Mountain West, Gregory Hinton is the creator of the Gay Rodeo Legacy Project which brought the archives of the International Gay Rodeo Association to the permanent rodeo collection of the Autry National Center in Los Angeles for which Gregory was awarded the IGRA 2009 President's Award.

Gregory is also the creator and producer of Out West, a historic LGBT program series he created to shine a light on the positive contributions of the gay community to the history and culture of the American west. Gregory Hinton also serves on the Board of the Gay and Lesbian Rodeo Heritage Foundation.

Read more.   Source: igra.com

Brokeback Mountain meets Naked Lunch

Laboratory Theater presents GIT ALONG LIL DOGGIES -- October 14 - 30, 2010

"Brokeback Mountain" meets "Naked Lunch" in Laboratory Theater's newest work, a cowboy dance-drama about the spiritual imprint of the windswept landscape of the American west. In an impressionistic narrative inspired by the work of William S. Burroughs and Annie Proulx, two outlaws conjure the violent forces of nature through sex-magic to take revenge on an old adversary.

Commingling elements of country-western line dance and gay pornography, the performance unfolds against a projected video landscape of repainted Marlboro cigarette TV commercials and within an immersive soundscape incorporating contemporary new age music for pedal steel guitar.

Directed by Yvan Greenberg, with Corey Dargel, Sheila Donovan, Oleg Dubson, and Wil Smith.

More info.   Source: broadwayworld.com

Hot Summer Days and Fun Nights: Coney Island's Gay History, Part One

That handsome man with the thick brown moustache and blue eyes keeps glancing over at you, as he pretends to read the New York Times for this Tuesday in July, 1926. He looks to be in good shape…and he’s carrying a bag which suggests his swimsuit is probably inside of it, as both of you are on the crowded train from Times Square to Coney Island. Finally your eyes connect with one another and lock for a brief second until you both look away again. The lady next to you leaves at her stop. The handsome stranger with the brown moustache gets up and comes to sit next to you…

Since the mid-1800’s, the name Coney Island has been a part of summertime American culture, conjuring images of a wooden planked boardwalk, elaborately themed old-time amusement parks, hot dogs, horse racing and candy. And while all of that is true, there’s also a gay legacy of this legendary playground.

For decades (between about 1880 and the start of World War II), Coney Island was the largest destination-amusement park area in the United States. From a working-class perspective, the area really took off in 1920 once a subway line began running which connected Coney to New York City and Times Square. For a five-cent subway ride (which wasn‘t exactly cheap back then but still affordable to many...) the lure of Coney Island attracted millions of visitors every year.

And by personal accounts from the era, there was a huge sense of freedom that came along with a visit to Coney Island, an ability to let-loose and have fun without caring so much about public appearances. After all, it was the “Roaring Twenties” and this place was built to offer what the folks wanted.

Read more.   Source: vintagegaymediahistory.com

Brokeback Ma vs. Prairie Bitch

Melissa Gilbert, who recently performed in the touring musical Little House on the Prairie with a broken back, is spending her time before her surgery next week resting, reading and exchanging public Twitter messages with Alison Arngrim, the actress who played her rival in the television series, Nellie Oleson.

"The 2 things i did today instead of going to work," Gilbert, 46, wrote under a photo she posted of herself looking inside Alison Arngrim's recently-released memoir, Confessions of a Prairie Bitch.

Gilbert is scheduled to undergo surgery on July 22. Doctors are scheduled to replace a disc as well as fuse a vertebra in her lower spine. This type of procedure has a recovery time of six months. Gilbert does not plan on returning to the stage.

"Until then. Home, still, rest, read, needlepoint and catch up on all the TV I missed while on the road," Gilbert Tweeted. "There is humor to be found. My hubby now calls me "Brokeback Ma"!

Read more.   Source: ontheredcarpet.com    Image via penny-dreadful.ca

Fun Question of the Week

This week's question:  In the world of Archie Comics, you may know Archie Andrews, Jughead Jones, Reggie Mantle, Betty Cooper and Ms. Veronica Lodge, but what's the first and last name of the brawny jock, "Moose"? Can you name his love interest? Let us know your answer in the Response Thread.

Last week's question and answer: When and where was Marilyn Monroe's last public appearance?

BayCityJohn answered correctly! From findagrave.com: "Her final public appearance was at Dodger Stadium for a Muscular Dystrophy benefit on June 1, 1962. Two months later, she was found dead by her housekeeper in the bedroom of her recently purchased Brentwood, California, home on Helena Drive...at age thirty-six." Lyle (Mooska) tells us that June 1st is Marilyn's birthday, and that date in 1962 was her very last day on a movie set.  Read more.

Thanks also to Ennis Del Mark and kathy, for playing along.

The Forum Image

Posted by Trigger Hippie in Life Through The Lens 4

"Oh and just a few from the lovely Savill Garden..."

Post of the Day

By Jer009 in Bring Your Humor Here

Watch: Bovine Surrealism

http://www.towleroad.com/2010/07/watch-bovine-surrealism.html#more

The Cowboy Image

Posted by fritzkep in Cowboy Up! Favorite Cowboy Pics

Quote of the Day

“Old age means realizing you will never
own all the dogs you wanted to”

~ John Gores  ~

Baby Imala, by conny in Pets and Other Animal Friends.

Photo Caption of the Day

Posted by janjo in Photo Captioning Fun 5

Dastan: Ennis del Mar hasn't been around has he?

Contributors: Trigger Hippie, fritzkep, Jer009, conny, janjo

Calendar of Events

Today's edition by gnash

The Daily Sheet Archives
... Kierkegaard

Online killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 11:53:51 PM »

Tuesday, July 27th, 2010

Interview: Greg Luna, MWM

“MWM” explores the fears of homosexual men and the one place they’re able to safely come out of the closet — the internet. Told in documentary style, this short film follows a “married white male” and his double life spent crusing online “men seeking men” ads.

Director Greg Luna, a Brooklyn-based filmmaker, spoke with me about the inspiration behind this haunting film, the internet’s place in society, and the evolution of gay cinema.

Why do you think there haven’t been more gay-themed films in mainstream cinema lately? They didn’t seem to experience the expected boost in interest after “Brokeback Mountain.”

Gay films aren’t going to suddenly pop up at multiplexes but I think the definition of “mainstream” is beginning to shift. And a lot of this has to do with the audiences. Younger audiences are much more comfortable with gay-themed topics than their parents are. But it all comes down to story, I think. Part of the appeal to a film like “Brokeback Mountain” was its universality —  it presented a very classic love story that was as “Casablanca” as it was modern. It provided an entry point to mainstream audiences that was genuine and engaging. Lisa Cholodenko’s new film, “The Kids Are All Right” is in a very similar position — it has major mainstream appeal. A lot of people, parents especially, will relate to it because it’s a film about marriage and family. They’ll see their own families in it. And that’s huge. I think the moment a straight audience member is able to share an affinity with a gay character is the break-through moment.

Read more.   Source: thefilmyap.com   

MWM (MARRIED WHITE MALE) 2010, USA, 25 minutes

Watch the trailer on YouTube

A Conversation with Rodrigo Prieto

At 2010's LAFF, Oscar nominated DP Rodrigo Pietro gives an amazing insight into his work. The panel included showings of scenes from "Brokeback Mountain," "Babel," and "Lust, Caution."

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP2ADjFEjls

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_685YKIBRxs

Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUQpjSL0NCk

Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCmIU47iJB8

Part 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWKuEhOEHhQ

Part 6: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZGEJF0dkbI

'Don't Ask' Critic Dan Choi Honorably Discharged

One of the most vocal critics of the military's “don't ask, don't tell” policy has been honorably discharged for being in violation of the policy.

Dan Choi, a West Point graduate and first lieutenant with the Army National Guard, said he learned of the decision on Thursday.

“It's painful mostly, not that my career is coming to an end, but really that it's been a very difficult year,” he said in an interview.

Though his discharge has been rumored for weeks in the gay blogosphere and among gay rights activists, Choi said he only officially learned of the discharge on Thursday after a phone call from his commander.

"The Army said I was notified by letter to my home of record, which is Orange County, Calif.," Choi said. "My dad apparently signed for the letter and, well, that’s what they say."

Choi hasn't spoken to his father since October, he said.

He emerged as the face of gay and lesbian service members discharged under the policy when he came out publicly during a March 2009 MSNBC interview -- essentially violating "don't ask, don't tell" in front of a primetime television audience.

Read more.   Source: shop.voices.washingtonpost.com

Youtube: Watch Dan Choi give Harry Reid
his West Point ring & discharge papers.

Miss New York, Claire Buffie

Plum correspondent Nick Leighton catches up with the 2010 Miss New York, Claire Buffie at the Empire State Pride Agenda's Annual Hamptons Tea Dance. Claire discusses her big win and her unique platform. She is the first contestant in Miss America history to support Gay Rights through Straight for Equality: Let's Talk.

Watch the video. Source: plumtv.com

What is Straight for Equality?

Across the country, thousands of straight individuals who don’t necessarily have a family member who is gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender (GLBT) are seeing big changes in the way that their GLBT friends and colleagues are treated. If you or someone you know is straight and wants to help the gay community, join in the fight for equality, or just learn more about these issues, you’ve come to the right place. Anyone interested in any of these topics is an ally! Allies, you’ve come to the right place. Straight for Equality is the answer for you.

Read more. Source: community.pflag.org

The Science of Gaydar

As a presence in the world—a body hanging from a subway strap or pressed into an elevator, a figure crossing the street—I am neither markedly masculine nor notably effeminate. Nor am I typically perceived as androgynous, not in my uniform of Diesels and boots, not even when I was younger and favored dangling earrings and bright Jack Purcells. But most people immediately read me (correctly) as gay. It takes only a glance to make my truth obvious. I know this from strangers who find gay people offensive enough to elicit a remark—catcalls from cab windows, to use a recent example—as well as from countless casual social engagements in which people easily assume my orientation, no sensitive gaydar necessary. I’m not so much out-of-the-closet as “self-evident,” to use Quentin Crisp’s phrase, although being of a younger generation, I can’t subscribe to his belief that it is a kind of disfigurement requiring lavender hair rinse.

I once placed a personal ad in which I described myself as “gay-acting/gay-appearing,” partly as a jab at my peers who prefer to be thought of as “str8” but mostly because it’s just who I am. Maybe a better way to phrase it would have been “third-sexer,” the category advanced by the gay German sexologist Magnus Hirschfeld 100 years ago. The label fell into disrepute, but lately a number of well-known researchers in the field of sexual orientation have been reviving it based on an extensive new body of research showing that most of us, whether top or bottom, butch or femme, or somewhere in between, share a kind of physical otherness that locates us in our own quadrant of the gender matrix, more like one another than not. Whatever that otherness is seems to come from somewhere deep within us. It mostly defies our efforts to disguise it. That’s what we mean by gaydar—not the skill of the viewer so much as the telltale signs most gay people project, the set of traits that make us unmistakably one.

The late psychologist and sexologist John Money famously called these the details of our “gendermaps,” which he believed are drawn primarily by life’s experience and social conditioning. Money planted some of the earliest flags in the nature-versus-nurture war by claiming that dysfunctional parents, not inborn biology, is what produced “sissy boys,” tomboys, and other gender variants. But today, the pendulum has swung just about as far in the other direction as possible. A small constellation of researchers is specifically analyzing the traits and characteristics that, though more pronounced in some than in others, not only make us gay but also make us appear gay.

Read more. Source: nymag.com

The Kenneth M. Freeman Collection: Them Beans

There were beans and onions cooking with herbs the mountain man traded for … cooking in that Dutch oven in the fire. The fire burned bright, and he watched the red and yellow flames turn the bottom of the Dutch oven to a glowing orange color.

Its something every camp has, at least one set of cast iron pots and pans. They may be heavy but a good set of cast iron cookware will last a lifetime.

The wonderful smell of beans filled the air tonight as his cooking was almost done.

About This Limited Edition

Limited Edition Size: 1000
Giclee On Canvas - Laminated and Stretched
Size: 24 inches X 20 inches
Authorized by The Kenneth M. Freeman Legacy Collection
Certificate of Authenticity by The Fine Art Registry

Them Beans has been featured in the Artist at Work Museum Exhibition at the Booth Museum as well as the Kenneth M. Freeman show at the Fondazione Metropolitan Museum in Milan, Italy March/April 2007. It is prominently featured in the museum books "Artist at Work" which represents Freeman's museum book and also the Milan Exhibition book: Kenneth M. Freeman. The painting has also been featured in Western Art Collector Magazine.

Purchase this art by Kenneth Freeman. Source: shop.kennethmfreeman.com

Michelle Williams is Just A Mom

We went to Algonquin Park during the long weekend in July. My cousin and her family go every year for the long weekend, and we joined them in the wilderness this year.

Who we met made our visit even a little more special…

Of course, the kids were excited to see my cousin and her kids. She’s got 4 boys, so with our kids, that’s 7 boys. The oldest are 12 and 10, and the younger two are 3 and 2. They all play great together. We (the kids) swam, and we went for a hike – Charlie was complete dead weight the whole way there (about 3kms I carried him sleeping in my arms – my muscles were still hating me 2 days later). We fed ducks and chipmunks, we played shuffleboard. We made smores, blew bubbles and played on Jeff’s new iPad.

I recognized Matilda first. She is the spitting image of her daddy. Heath Ledger was one of my favourites. Since the early days of 10 Things I Hate About You. He was a certain talent.

And who in my generation doesn’t remember Jen Lindley? Michelle Williams was on a break during filming in Toronto and ended up at Algonquin Park the same time we did.

Read more. Source: asprayson.wordpress.com

Hot Summer Days and Fun Nights: Coney Island's Gay History, Part Two

Attendance at Coney Island on a hot summer day could easily reach into the hundreds of thousands, causing extreme congestion on the beach.

Thanks to the proximity to the boardwalk, amusement parks, and places to eat and drink, not everyone who was at the beach came especially dressed for a day at the beach.  The spectator sport of cruising was in fine form at Coney Island, and if you happened to have a flask of bath tub gin, then you might be even more popular. 

The notion of seeing hunky men in form-fitting clothing (which was borderline scandalous back then!) and ladies in their revealing garments drove many to come to the water's edge just to people watch.

Lifeguards, such as those of the famous Rehoboth Beach Patrol (a patrol that is still in operation, and originally founded in 1921), had handsome and hunky men in form-fitting swimwear for the era.  The lifeguards of Coney Island immediately became a gay favorite to watch, especially as they worked out and trained mornings on the beach. These athletic, sun-bronzed, shirtless young guys would go through their exercise training routines including lots of running, swimming, and tugging competitions.

Read more. Source: vintagegaymediahistory.blogspot.com

Interested in vintage swimsuits? Check out VHMH's bonus summer post!

Sideshow Collectibles: Disney's Dastan

Sideshow Collectibles is proud to commemorate the anticipated Disney release 'Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time' with the Dastan Premium Format Figure.

Each piece is individually painted and finished, dressed in a detailed, real fabric costume, each with its own unique quality and detail that is the trademark of a handcrafted Sideshow Collectibles product.

The Dastan Premium Format Figure is crafted here in stunning detail, a perfect addition to any collection or Disney display.

Also available:

Dastan Polystone Bust (By Enesco)

Dastan 12" Figure (By Hot Toys)

Dastan Exclusive Edition Premium Format Figure
(Limited Edition of 175) (By Sideshow Collectibles)

Visit sideshowtoy.com for ordering info.

Fun Question of the Week

This week's question:  Which is the only country in the world without coins for currency?

Last week's question and answer: In the world of Archie Comics, what is the first and last name of the brawny jock, "Moose"?

Ennis Del Mark had the answer for this one, and Marmaduke "Moose" Mason is right on. Midge Klump is the girl on his arm. Source: mightycrusaders.net

Post of the Day

By BayCityJohn in Gay and Christian in the World of Today II

I just found this video. A slide show of some very nice pics of Rance along with one of his songs.

Rance Searle - May I Keep You

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMZglfMW5bo

The Forum Image

See more in Life Through The Lens 4

dahlia posted photographs of her recent trip to the Eolian Islands (close to Sicily).

Setting up cameras for the next one

Quote of the Day

“Death is no more than passing from one room into
another. But there's a difference for me, you know.
Because in that other room I shall be able to see. ”

~ Helen Keller ~

Photo Caption of the Day

Posted by TwistandShout in Photo Captioning Fun 5

WHAT'S THAT? A DENTAL CHECK-UP?

Ennis didn't tell me Jack Twist was his dentist . . .

Contributors: Lyle (Mooska), BayCityJohn, dahlia, TwistandShout

Calendar of Events

Today's edition by gnash

The Daily Sheet Archives
... Kierkegaard