The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Let's Get Serious About Jake II  (Read 888352 times)

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Old Brokeback got me good and it sure ain't over
  • Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
Re: Let's Get Serious About Jake II
« Reply #6210 on: May 19, 2019, 03:50:35 AM »
Off topic for a bit, but...

Right now, I'm very excited about the new Madonna album that is coming out in June, but I'm not worried if Madonna is 'happy' or 'proud' of her work.

Chuck, I had to think of this comment while I was watching the Eurovision last night. Sorry  ;D 

Damn, that was a bad performance  :-X   Don't think Madonna has any reason to be happy or proud at this moment.

And... yeah Duncan! You did it! Not my kind of song, but who cares  :P
Chaos is order yet undeciphered.

Offline BlueAmber63

• Striped socks and dusty shoes
  • Obsessed
« Reply #6211 on: May 19, 2019, 11:30:37 AM »
                                                   ^^^

" Ditto " .....sorry Chuck  :(
Wanting him to come back... before anyone notices
part of the world has not moved...since he left.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #6212 on: May 19, 2019, 11:49:47 AM »
:laugh:

I didn't see it, ESC doesn't seem to be broadcast in the US.  I suppose I could watch on YouTube, but I'm not really interested.

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
« Reply #6213 on: May 19, 2019, 12:16:00 PM »
I heard a bit on the radio, can't believe she was so off key with Like A Prayer, :( I hope it was some technical problem.

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #6214 on: May 19, 2019, 03:31:07 PM »
I didn't see it, ESC doesn't seem to be broadcast in the US.  I suppose I could watch on YouTube, but I'm not really interested.

Oh? If I were a fan, I would want to check it out anyway, even if it's bad - but OK. I've read that this could have been her "career ending performance".

I don't know what happened. Used to love her in her early days (eighties), but I guess the time has come to "bow out gracefully", as they say. Sorry Madge.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #6215 on: May 19, 2019, 05:24:53 PM »
I've read that this could have been her "career ending performance".

I don't know what happened. Used to love her in her early days (eighties), but I guess the time has come to "bow out gracefully", as they say. Sorry Madge.

They were saying that ("career ending performance") when she rolled around onstage at the MTV awards in 1985 when she first performed Like A Virgin. 

I'm not trying to be dismissive, but as a Madonna fan, I've been hearing statements like that since she debuted in 1983.  One of her record reviews back then said she'd be out of the business in just 6 months.

She's just announced her latest tour (Madame X), and instead of stadiums she's  opting to play smaller venues.  She wants the performances to be more intimate.

A recent headline about the tour states:  Madonna Adds Additional ‘Madame X’ Tour Dates Due to High Demand

https://musicmayhemmagazine.com/madonna-adds-additional-madame-x-tour-dates-due-to-high-demand/

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #6216 on: May 19, 2019, 08:24:33 PM »
This is a very smart move on Madonna's part, the smaller venues. I wish Streisand had done the same with ALL her tours in the 2000's......I saw her in MSG in 2006, and was sorely disappointed, no, she was NEVER off-key, or missed a beat/cue, but her voice?  :o It wasn't made for that huge venue at that age. Smaller venues, better acoustics makes all the difference in an (aging?) mature voice.......or, as some singers like to say, you need to KNOW when to hang it up. I'm not a Madonna fan, never have been, but she is quite the showperson on stage, but even with that, you can't keep it up forever!! haha......people say in Cher's 'final' tour shows she BARELY moves on stage, same with her Vegas shows, barely moving. So, kudos to Madonna for knowing what to change, and when.... ;).....
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 09:27:27 AM by Flyboy »

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #6217 on: May 20, 2019, 05:27:39 AM »
They were saying that ("career ending performance") when she rolled around onstage at the MTV awards in 1985 when she first performed Like A Virgin. 

I'm not trying to be dismissive, but as a Madonna fan, I've been hearing statements like that since she debuted in 1983.  One of her record reviews back then said she'd be out of the business in just 6 months.

I know! I've always remembered "Minnie Mouse on helium"  :laugh:  And how some people were surprised / annoyed she was performing at Live Aid (1985) - such a mediocre singer with just a few hits to her name, she didn't deserve to be on that epic stage!  ;)   

Let's just say she was never the world's best singer... and everyone knows - and yet, she's had a hell of a career. Full respect to her - but her Eurovision performance was very... ehm... unfortunate, to say the least.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #6218 on: May 20, 2019, 04:31:16 PM »
I know! I've always remembered "Minnie Mouse on helium"  :laugh:  And how some people were surprised / annoyed she was performing at Live Aid (1985) - such a mediocre singer with just a few hits to her name, she didn't deserve to be on that epic stage!  ;)   

Let's just say she was never the world's best singer... and everyone knows - and yet, she's had a hell of a career. Full respect to her - but her Eurovision performance was very... ehm... unfortunate, to say the least.

I remember the Minnie Mouse on helium quote, and the annoyance of her being at Live Aid.  I can remember comments when she appeared on the People magainze cover with music legends that performed at Live Aid.

As for her being the best singer, she even said herself in her Truth or Dare movie:  "I know I'm not the greatest singer or dancer, but that doesn't interest me. I'm interested in being provocative and pushing people's buttons."

To bring this back to Jake, I tried to find a pic of him with Madonna, but failed.

:laugh:

Well, they both  appeared on People.

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
  • ...suspended above ordinary affairs...
« Reply #6219 on: May 20, 2019, 04:43:50 PM »

She's just announced her latest tour (Madame X), and instead of stadiums she's  opting to play smaller venues.  She wants the performances to be more intimate.

A recent headline about the tour states:  Madonna Adds Additional ‘Madame X’ Tour Dates Due to High Demand

https://musicmayhemmagazine.com/madonna-adds-additional-madame-x-tour-dates-due-to-high-demand/

Career-ending??  Madonna??

I remember the MTV awards-rolling on the floor...everyone said she was history, and the next day she was the biggest star in music. 

She was never the greatest singer and never proclaimed to be.  I admit I ignored her and didn't like her music (really didn't listen to it) until I heard Cherish.......that was it.  I loved everything she did until about the mid-90s and then I just lost interest...but she kept changing to appeal to any audience, which is the best marketing skill in the world.  It kept her on top. 
Bye, Felicia

"What a maroon."  Bugs Bunny

"I try to be good...I only manage it in streaks."

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #6220 on: May 21, 2019, 05:04:35 AM »
I loved everything she did until about the mid-90s and then I just lost interest...

Make that early nineties, but it was the same for me, yeah. I sort of lost interest when the 'Sex' book came out. That was a bridge too far for me.

To bring this back to Jake, I tried to find a pic of him with Madonna, but failed.

Maggie G. once danced with Madonna at a party!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu8oc_GLTbc

Aaaaaaaand... back on topic!  ;D

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #6221 on: May 21, 2019, 08:14:42 AM »
I see we got Streisand in the thread with Jake too!! Got a little OFF TOPIC with the Madonna convo....... :o

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6222 on: May 21, 2019, 02:01:19 PM »

More off topic:  I began working first as a clerk and then the buyer for the Video West stores.
The one in West Hollywood was across the street from the Larrabee Sound Studios, where
many famous musicians recorded music / songs / albums. We did not often see all these
people, but on occasion.

The video store I worked in had monitors to show things on, as most did. One day in 1985-86
Madonna came out of Larrabee Sound Studios over to Video West with a VHS cassette. She
asked if she could play it on our monitors. It was, if I recall, some music video she was working
on. I might have a better memory of what this was all about, but...I WAS NOT THERE THAT DAY!
___

However, on another day, I was walking through the parking lot across the street, which our store
shared with Larrabee Sound Studios. My boss had given me her keys to get something out of her
car. Lo and behold, I stumbled upon Madonna and Sean Penn having a rather heated argument
in the parking lot. They quieted down somewhat when they saw I had appeared on the scene!

Heh!

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
« Reply #6223 on: May 21, 2019, 02:51:19 PM »
Lyle, you could have saved their marriage!  :laugh:

Offline BlueAmber63

• Striped socks and dusty shoes
  • Obsessed
« Reply #6224 on: May 21, 2019, 06:23:03 PM »
Wanting him to come back... before anyone notices
part of the world has not moved...since he left.