The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Let's Get Serious About Jake II  (Read 888398 times)

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
  • ʍous ƃuıɯoɔ ɟo lləɯs lɐʇəɯ əɥʇ
Re: Let's Get Serious About Jake II
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2010, 10:10:48 PM »
i was serious too, in regard to his appearance in films. he might be preparing for a role as paul bunyan for all we know.

"Brokeback is about a lost paradise, an Eden."  – Ang Lee

Offline trekfan

• Obsessed
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2010, 10:14:58 PM »
i was serious too, in regard to his appearance in films. he might be preparing for a role as paul bunyan for all we know.

I'm picturing Jake dressed in a plaid shirt carrying an axe around :D 
"don't cry because it's over but smile because it
happened."

Offline george66

• Obsessed
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2010, 11:17:40 PM »
I'm picturing Jake dressed in a plaid shirt carrying an axe around :D 

"Speak softly and carry a BIG stick!!"

george
Maybe he didn’t need to try so hard to reach for the sky anymore. He had found where he belonged, under Ennis, under the wings of this brown-eyed angel who would lift him up from the ground and take him to the sky so high, high until he could touch the stars.

A Dog Named Flea by Fridayblues

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2010, 12:32:53 PM »
I will tell you one last time that discussion of Jake's appearance belongs in the Eyelashes thread.

The first post of this thread (only 3 pages back) states what this thread is for.

If the silliness continues I will start to delete posts from the thread.

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2010, 03:36:11 AM »
seriously though.... jake and his cooking skills... does anyone have any info on this? or does he just let his chris do all the hard work? it must be nice to have such a close friend with bona fide chef skills! imagine the tips that he gives jake, like making a creamy sauce that won't curdle before it hits hits the plate. i wonder what type of food he likes the most. is he a vegetarian, or does he like eating meat? i bet he doesn't get to cook that much, busy as he is making movies and stuff.

his motorcycle. i wonder what his mother thinks of THAT. i know moms with kids around his age and they almost forbid them to ride. but what can you do when they're out of the nest? i'm glad jake wears a FULL face helmet. those little beanie type helmets that heath wore don't protect nearly as much.

there are lot of guys on motorcycles in los angeles. on wednesday nights they all congregate by the hundreds on la brea or santa monica and storm the town. some of them are the types that hot rod around, the "rice rockets" i call them, because lots of asian guys buzz around, all noisy and irritating like fast flying flies. they are scary. they pull wheelies on the freeway, and act all brave as they dart in and out of traffic.

hopefully, jake doesn't do that crazy stuff... besides, the bike he's been riding lately isn't really built for that.

it's odd -- seeing him on a motorcycle doesn't really change his image much. it's not like he's marlon brando on a motorbike. i mean, it doesn't really boost his tough-guy status or sex appeal or anything like that... it does makes me hope that he's safe, or that the drivers sharing the roadways are conscientious. sometimes bikes are hard to see in rear view mirrors.

anyway, just a thought... blabbing about jake at almost one o'clock.

here's a bumper sticker you can put on your cars:

Offline trekfan

• Obsessed
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2010, 09:05:02 AM »
oh that's a good one, Jimmy.    I have to wonder what his insurance co thought about him getting a motorcycle (his agent, etc)   they don't want anything happening to Their star.

He looks good thought,  I'm sure his mother was not thrilled.   I heard he also is driving a convertible.   I don't think his mother is thrilled about the motorcycle.   I have to wonder if these new toys don't have anything to do with him turning 30 in a few months.

you never know  ;D
happened."

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2010, 09:41:34 AM »
a convertible too? wow.. that's easy access for the paps for sure...

i'd like to see him in a baby blue bugatti atlantique from the 1930s. i think it would fit his style. ;D

yeah, the insurance... i wonder how much his eyes are worth now.

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2010, 05:55:18 AM »
Ok, to touch back on something I said in the last "Serious" thread.....I don't get Donnie Darko.

:D

Am I missing something?  What the heck is it about?

Offline trekfan

• Obsessed
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2010, 08:24:22 AM »
a convertible too? wow.. that's easy access for the paps for sure...

i'd like to see him in a baby blue bugatti atlantique from the 1930s. i think it would fit his style. ;D

yeah, the insurance... i wonder how much his eyes are worth now.

it hasn't been confirmed that he has a convertible.   someone tweeted that someone in a converitible let him into busy LA traffic and it was Jake.    There are photos taken from Sat,  Jake is visiting a friend at their cabin and he is not driving a convertible.   It looks like the audi hardtop we saw the last time they showed him in  a car

happened."

Offline Sienna

• Obsessed
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2010, 04:03:01 PM »
Some noise on the blogs that Jake has been spotted back in MV, still very bearded, possibly jogging with Mathew Mc. They were friends a while back, pre-reese, so that may be true or may not be, who knows. He's been wearing the Stand Up for Cancer hat and his spots have been running on TV, and word was that he was going to do the live show in just a few days, but according to the latest update of scheduled stars (as of saturday night) he's not on the list. Maybe he needs some more time in MV to prepare for all the crap he'll have to do to promote LAOD.

The more i hear about this movie, the less interested i am in seeing it. It seems like a sex romp with a sad ending, and i dunno - i'm just not interested in seeing jake with a girl - i guess BBM ruined me for him with girls. Sorry, but it kinda icks me to even think about it. I know i'm not the only one who feels that way, but i'm one of the only ones who's dumb enuf to say it out loud. Oh well. Y'all can fire me if you want to - i don't care - that's how i feel.

And in US mag today there's a big pic of Reese and her new wonderful, superfragicali-istic boyfriend Jim Toth, who is such a joy to be with after her less than grown-up exes, RP and JG. I'm so sure. He's not prettier than her. That's what's so f'n great about him. Wtfe reese.  :P

Anyway, just the news of the day from my end of the gossip world, since no one else has anything to say over here. Hugs. S.

Offline ric123gw

• Experienced
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2010, 06:00:15 PM »
"Speaking of Love and Other Drugs this is the first Jake movie I'm willing to pay to see in the theater since BBM instead of simply waiting for it come out on DVD. Sounds very promising."

That's kind of sad because Jake is really a fine actor. Some of the material he has been in may not be great but his acting skills make the material  better. That's what good actors do.  I think if some of you would stop looking at Jake's as Jack Twist you would be pleasantly surprised, for instance with POP.  It was fun and Jake thought outside the box some of his fans seems to what to keep him.  I wonder how some of you would have felt about Heath performance in the Knight movie, not Dark Knight but the earlier movie if he would have done it after BBM. 

I hope I don't offend but I probably will, some of you can't get pass Jack Twist. Jake was a fine actor before, during and after that role.  And the fact that some of you can't get past Jack Twist just proves what a fine actor he really is. 

One other note, I believe one of the scenes in Brothers,  Jake had them use a picture of Heath as Ennis.

Offline Sienna

• Obsessed
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2010, 07:38:43 PM »
ric... i know you are speaking generally and not just to me, but since it's quiet around here, i'll respond to your post. I agree that Jake did a number on a lot of us as Jack Twist and it has limited my interest in seeing him in other roles, such as LAOD. However, it hasn't helped that none of his other roles since JT have been widely engaging. I read and occasionally post on a Jake Blog and the peeps over there - certainly not the voice of Jake Fans everywhere, but definitely a reasonable slice of JBG opinion - pretty much agree that he hasn't made anything enjoyable since BBM. Many of them mention Zodiac as being a "GOOD" movie, altho not necessarily one they enjoyed. The rest get a bad grade on their movie score card. I know some folks over here have enjoyed all of his movies, and i think that's great. I did not, and none of his other roles since BBM have moved me at all. I do think he's a good actor, but until he does another movie that i both enjoy and that lets him play a character that impresses me, i guess he will always be JT in my heart. Like Leonard Nimoy will always be Spock and Michael Landon was forever Litte Joe until Little House on the Prarie came along and then he was Pa till he died.

I will see LAOD with an open mind and i'll be the first one to cheer if i like it, but for lots of reason - not just my JT mentality - i'm not really feeling the love about it at the moment.

I know i speak for everyone when i say that as long as you abide by the few little rules in place, that you are welcome to state your opinion over here, even if it goes against the masses. We enjoy discussion. Please come back for more.  :D

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2010, 07:56:46 PM »
However, it hasn't helped that none of his other roles since JT have been widely engaging. I read and occasionally post on a Jake Blog and the peeps over there - certainly not the voice of Jake Fans everywhere, but definitely a reasonable slice of JBG opinion - pretty much agree that he hasn't made anything enjoyable since BBM. Many of them mention Zodiac as being a "GOOD" movie, altho not necessarily one they enjoyed. The rest get a bad grade on their movie score card. I know some folks over here have enjoyed all of his movies, and i think that's great. I did not, and none of his other roles since BBM have moved me at all. I do think he's a good actor, but until he does another movie that i both enjoy and that lets him play a character that impresses me, i guess he will always be JT in my heart.

Hiya Sienna,

I can understand what you say, as I have to say that I don't think that Jake has done anything that had moved me like Jack Twist.  That being said, Heath's last movies didn't move me the way that he did as Ennis Del Mar.

I loved Dark Knight, Dr. P, and Prince of Persia.  I understand that Brokeback affected me like no movie ever has, and probably like no movie ever will again.  I always make an effort to 'wipe the slate clean' when I see a Jake or Heath movie now so that I can accept it for what it is, instead of holding it up to Brokback, which is so high up on a pillar for me, that no other performance will compare to it.

Would Jake ever pair up romantically with another male actor on the screen again?  I don't know.  Has any other actor ever paired up for more than one gay role, other than an openly gay actor?

Offline Sienna

• Obsessed
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2010, 07:58:50 PM »
Ric... more words to you since you brought up POP and made me think about it. That was a movie that i was leery about for lots of reasons, but by the time it was close to coming out, i was truely hoping it would be good. The trailers looked fun and i was on board with the hair and all the muscles, etc - so yayay... bring it! However, in spite of my hopes to be thrilled and excited by the movie, i was not. It was like going to what has been billed as being a grand fire works display and then sitting for two hours watching mostly mediocre fireworks, interspersed with a few really excitign ones every now and then, for most of the show, then getting a mildly exciting build-up to a finale that then ends without really doing anything outside the box. If that makes sense. The movie was kinda fun in places, but when it was over, i felt flat, like i'd missed something big.

I thought Jake was great in his role, but i don't think that role should've been the lead role. I think Jake would've been great as the sidekick to some really badass dude. He had the humor and the cuteness and all the moves, but he wasn't convincing to me as a man who's been pushed to the edge and is on a mission to avenge himself and win back the love and respect of his people and save world AND get the girl. I just didn't believe all that. I could've easily believed he was along on someone else's mission and was flirting harmlessly with the girl they were going to get. That was totally believable. But him doing all that - no.

This artilce kinda says what i'm trying to say in a more succinct way. The Jake part is at the end of the article.  http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/more-mr-nice-guy-why-everyone-loves-russell-tovey-2067802.html

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
  • ...suspended above ordinary affairs...
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2010, 08:00:18 PM »
I'm with you there.  I can't like a movie just because a certain actor is in it...PoP was not something I would ever go see, in my opinion, it was made (as the director, I believe) said for teenage boy gamers.  I know it was very popular with the Jakettes around the world and that's fine, good for him, they paid him a lot of money and he worked hard for it.
But I can't part with my hard-earned money for a summer blockbuster (think I've mentioned that before).  I don't think it even got very good reviews for the genre.

Same with Heath's last movie.

I'm looking forward to LAOD, and I truly hope it's not a Hollywood rehash of other "opposites suddenly attract" with some pathos thrown in.  

I never saw The Good Girl, but it was on Fox today, and I was caught by surprise, I had no idea what the story was about or the ending...I thought it was good - not great.  

I think it will be a long, long time before we see anything close to the Brokeback phenomenon; the story, director, cast, timing, alignment of the stars...everything was perfect, and it doesn't happen often.

ETA: doesn't happen often: did it ever happen before?  I can't think of another movie that has affected me like this one, even though I have many favorites...there's been nothing like Brokeback.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 08:06:47 PM by morrobay »
Bye, Felicia

"What a maroon."  Bugs Bunny

"I try to be good...I only manage it in streaks."