The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Let's Get Serious About Jake II  (Read 525983 times)

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
Re: Let's Get Serious About Jake II
« Reply #6630 on: September 27, 2020, 08:01:38 AM »
Netflix Lands Jake Gyllenhaal-Antoine Fuqua Package ‘The Guilty’ In $30 Million WW Deal

By Mike Fleming Jr - September 23, 2020

In a $30 million deal, Netflix has acquired worldwide rights to The Guilty, with Jake Gyllenhaal starring and Antoine Fuqua directing a dramatic thriller based on the Gustav Möller-directed Danish drama Den Skyldige that premiered at the 2018 Sundance Film Festival. Deadline revealed a week ago that the package was being brought to the marketplace by Endeavor Content with a script by True Detective creator Nic Pizzolatto.

Netflix moved quickly. The streamer has been very aggressive in recent weeks, acquiring the Halle Berry-directed Bruised for $20 million just before it screened as a work in progress at the Toronto Film Festival; Pieces of a Woman for $10 million, and the Sam Levinson-directed Zendaya-John David Washington starrer Malcolm & Marie for $30 million, all out of the TIFF market. Netflix now bolsters its slate with The Guilty, a film expected to begin production before year’s end.

It takes place over the course of a single morning in a 911 dispatch call center. Call operator Joe Bayler (Gyllenhaal) tries to save a caller in grave danger—but he soon discovers that nothing is as it seems, and facing the truth is the only way out.

https://deadline.com/2020/09/netflix-jake-gyllenhaal-antoine-fuqua-package-the-guilty-30-million-dollar-worldwide-deal-1234582934/

Offline BlueAmber63

• Striped socks and dusty shoes
  • Obsessed
« Reply #6631 on: September 27, 2020, 05:06:52 PM »
                                                ^^^
This sounds great.....but how will they manage the filming with the restrictions
of Covid ??
Wanting him to come back... before anyone notices
part of the world has not moved...since he left.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #6632 on: September 28, 2020, 06:00:58 PM »
                                                ^^^
This sounds great.....but how will they manage the filming with the restrictions of Covid ??

I wonder that as well.   I'm sure some sort of safeguards will be in place.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #6633 on: September 28, 2020, 06:03:54 PM »
Jake Gyllenhaal Remembers the One ‘Prisoners’ Scene That Was Impossible to Act

Zack Sharf - Sep 17, 2020

This week’s episode of the “Team Deakins” podcast features a reunion between Jake Gyllenhaal and Roger Deakins, whose working history together includes Sam Mendes’ 2005 war drama “Jarhead” and Denis Villeneuve’s 2013 kidnapping thriller “Prisoners.” The latter starred Gyllenhaal as Detective Loki and remains a memorable project for the 39-year-old actor, considering one moment during the film’s climactic sequence proved “impossible to act.”

“I go back so often to that scene in ‘Prisoners’ where my character walks into the room and the girl has been drugged and Melissa Leo is there,” Gyllenhaal said. “The way it was written was impossible for me to act. It made it almost impossible for me to pull off. I would have had too much egg on my face as a performer to try and pull that off. I had just got shot, the girl that I’ve been looking for the whole time is right there, the [kidnapper] that I’ve been looking for the whole time is there. It’s this dramatic thing where I have to keep her at bay with my performance, save the kid, and I also just got shot in the head. It was too many elements as a performer to hold.”

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/09/jake-gyllenhaal-prisoners-scene-impossible-act-1234587170/

Offline BlueAmber63

• Striped socks and dusty shoes
  • Obsessed
« Reply #6634 on: September 28, 2020, 07:41:18 PM »
Hope he remembers he's got a date to fill in the UK at sometime.  :(
Wanting him to come back... before anyone notices
part of the world has not moved...since he left.

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #6635 on: September 29, 2020, 04:05:55 AM »

Or anywhere else in Europe.
WISE UP

Ing KräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #6636 on: October 07, 2020, 06:24:03 PM »
Jake Gyllenhaal, Glenn Close and More Stars Join amfAR Special to Aid Coronavirus Relief

By Morgan Smith October 07, 2020

Jake Gyllenhaal, Glenn Close, Whoopi Goldberg and more celebrities are using their acting chops to help fight the ongoing coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

On Oc. 8, the actors will virtually perform scenes from the Broadway play Angels in America as part of amfAR’s (The Foundation for AIDS Research) star-studded online benefit, The Great Work Begins: Scenes from Angels in America, to raise money for their Fund to Fight COVID-19.

Angels in America, by playwright Tony Kushner, follows two couples navigating the AIDs epidemic as it ravaged the United States.

The cast also includes Laura Linney, Patti LuPone, Alan Cumming and Paul Dano, among others. All of the actors shot their scenes apart, from home, only able to hear their scene partners’ voices. The footage was then put together to make it appear as if the actors can see each other. Composer Ellis Ludwig-Leone, award-winning creative director Paul Tate dePoo III and TBD Creative Media also donated their time in creating the show.

https://people.com/tv/jake-gyllenhaal-glenn-close-and-more-stars-join-amfar-special-to-aid-coronavirus-relief/

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #6637 on: October 08, 2020, 02:07:49 AM »

great!
WISE UP

Ing KräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #6638 on: October 17, 2020, 07:21:27 AM »
Jake Gyllenhaal's 5 Best Movies (& 5 Worst), According To IMDb

By  Colin McCormick  10/15/2020

Jake Gyllenhaal has become one of the biggest stars in Hollywood and one of the most reliable leading men in films. He started acting at a young age before finding success with lead performances in small but standout films. Since then, he has built an incredible career filled with big blockbusters, intimate dramas, and unforgettable roles.

Gyllenhaal's filmography is filled with films that will go down as amazing achievements. Of course, there are also those more forgettable films or the ones fans wish they could forget.

https://screenrant.com/jake-gyllenhaal-best-worst-movies-imdb/

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6639 on: October 17, 2020, 11:55:03 AM »
^^^

While that article was interesting to read, I hated the way it was layed out. Laid out? Alternating the movies like that.

So I'm going to list them in order here next -- SPOILER ALERT if you'd rather read the article first:

IMDb ranks the 5 best and 5 worst films of Jake Gyllenhaal:

Best
Prisoners (2013) - 8.1
Donnie Darko (2001) - 8.0
Nightcrawler (2014) - 7.9
October Sky (1999) - 7.8
Zodiac (2007) - 7.7

Worst
Accidental Love (2015) 4.1
Bubble Boy (2001) - 5.6
Velvet Buzzsaw (2019) - 5.7
Josh And S.A.M. (1993) 5.7
A Dangerous Woman (1993) - 5.8

First of all, IMDB ratings notoriously skew young, male and homophobic.
Were you expecting to see Brokeback Mountain on the list? I wasn't.
Back in 2005-6 there was lots of talk about how homophobes were going on the IMDB site and rating that film really low
even though they hadn't seen it, because of its gay film label.

I liked all those films rated his Best, especially Zodiac. Maybe I'm glad to say that I have not seen all those on the worst list. I have seen the "fairly underseen" A Dangerous Woman and this really shouldn't be on the list. The movie is specifically a Debra Winger film and Jake's not really in it that much. And, for the record, I liked it.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #6640 on: October 17, 2020, 12:05:10 PM »
Hello Lyle!

I've seen multiple lists set up like that (alternating good and bad).  I don't think they've all be through the site "ScreenRant", so I'm guessing there are people who like that layout.   I don't mind it, but I think the way you laid it out was better.

The layouts that really annoy me are the slide shows that you have to click through to go page by page to see the results.

As for the list itself, yes, I knew about the posters to IMDb, so I had no surprises when BBM wasn't on the list.   I was surprised that "Prince of Persia" wasn't on the 'worst' list, as people seem to really not like it.  I enjoyed it when I saw it.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6641 on: October 17, 2020, 06:52:01 PM »

Hi, Chuck,

I so agree with you about the lists that you have to keep clicking through for each entry! Those are the worst!

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Old Brokeback got me good and it sure ain't over
  • Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #6642 on: October 18, 2020, 03:40:35 AM »
Were you expecting to see Brokeback Mountain on the list? I wasn't.

Lyle, maybe you'll be pleased to know BBM was voted runner up (2nd place) in "Best Picture of the 2000s" by a Dutch film magazine recently. Winner was 'The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King' (2003), by the way.

My favorite Jake films 'Enemy' and 'Demolition' are also not on that IMDb list  :(  Quelle horreur!  I don't care much for 'Donnie Darko'. I don't think I understand it too well  :P

PoP has quite a decent cult following I believe, Chuck  ;D

And Jake finally received his first Tony nomination!

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/15/theater/jake-gyllenhaal-tony-nomination.html

If this was already posted in Eyelashes, my apologies  ;)
Chaos is order yet undeciphered.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #6643 on: October 18, 2020, 08:17:39 AM »
PoP has quite a decent cult following I believe, Chuck  ;D

And Jake finally received his first Tony nomination!

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/15/theater/jake-gyllenhaal-tony-nomination.html

If this was already posted in Eyelashes, my apologies  ;)

Hello BJJ!!  So good to see you popping in!  You've been missed!

Don't apologize for a double post.  This thread was set up to discuss Jake's work, so this information fits in right here, thanks for sharing!

As for PoP, I'm glad to hear there's a cult following for the movie.  If I'm remembering correctly,  Jake had done some serious roles before it, and I think that people went into it with different expectations.  I went in just to see a fun movie, and that's what I got.

:)

Come back more often!  :-*

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6644 on: October 20, 2020, 01:34:01 PM »

I posted this on the Daily Sheet reply thread a couple weeks ago after I read the article about the movie
where Jake has been cast as Robert Evans in the film. I was wondering if anyone who checks this site hadn't
seen that TDS, but I wondered your opinion of this:

I'd heard about that Francis and the Godfather film, but I was wrong...
I just assumed Jake was playing Coppola and Isaac was playing Evans.