The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Daily Sheet October 2010  (Read 11156 times)

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
The Daily Sheet October 2010
« on: October 04, 2010, 10:17:56 PM »

Tuesday, October 5th, 2010

What's It Like to Be a Gay Teen

What seems most befuddling about the suicide of Tyler Clementi, the gay teen whose roommate broadcast him having sex, is how this one incident lead to his death. It's because being a gay teen can be akin to prolonged torture.

Yes, high school—and often college—sucks for everyone. That's because teens are total assholes. They're just like normal people, but amped up on a combination of hormones and self-doubt that makes them particularly awful. And mean! Teens are cruel, especially to other teens and especially to other teens who are perceived as different.

Imagine your worst high school memory and multiply it by ten and that is how bad it is for many gay teenagers every day. The ones that have it the worst are those that are bullied repeatedly by their peers until they become suicidal, drop out of school, or are robbed of their education because they can't focus on learning the Pythagorean theorem or the amendments to the Constitution because they're thinking about how they're going to physically survive the day. In many cases, parents, teachers, principals and other grown-ups don't care about about the gay student's problems and condone the bullying behavior, either explicitly or with their own inaction.

Sure, there are places where there is real acceptance among peers, teachers, and parents, and not everyone with the strength to come out ends up suffering from bullying. But you'd be hard pressed to find one gay person who hasn't felt the sting of a slur at one time or another. And while some parts of the country are making their schools safer for all children, other areas don't seem that interested in protecting gay students.

Read more.    Source: gawker.com

CA Police Will Not File Charges In Case Of Boy Bullied To Death For Being Gay

Seth Walsh is another name that has to be added to the long list of young lesbians, gays and transpeople who have died because of bullying. The day after news of the suicide of Asher Brown in Texas, word has come down that police in Tehachapi, California will not be pursuing charges against the kids who bullied Walsh to the point where the thirteen year old tried to hang himself from a tree in his back yard. Nine days later, on the day that word of Asher Brown’s suicide broke, Walsh died while on life support.

Jeff Kermonde, Tehachapi Police Chief said “Several of the kids that we talked to broke down into tears. They had never expected an outcome such as this.” Which is, of course, true. They did not expect anyone to die from the bullying or feel miserable or feel hurt. They expected that their victim was going to be able to laugh it off and see the humor in the humiliation, degradation and pain of the bullying.

Walsh’s friends have stated that he was picked on for years because he was openly gay. School administrators have said that they have an anti-bullying program in place, but his schoolmates at Jacobsen Middle School in Tehachapi have said that the school did not offer Walsh any protection or guidance. It may very well be that they expected Walsh to seek it out, but for someone who is being bullied, it is often hard to reach out in order to get help, and often help has to be given.

Read more.    Source: lezgetreal.com

Related: Bullying Needs to Stop

Celebs Speak Out Against Anti-Gay Bullying

The recent suicide of Rutgers University Student Tyler Clementi, who was allegedly the victim of anti-gay bullying, has sparked Hollywood to react strongly.

“Something must be done,” says Ellen DeGeneres. “This needs to be a wake-up call to everyone: teenage bullying and teasing is an epidemic in this country, and the death rate is climbing.

Read more.    Source: justjared.buzznet.com

RECIPE FOR HOME GROWN TERRORISTS

1. Religious Right Wing Bigots -  Bully pulpit Missionaries and Preachers spreading fear through hateful lies – Anyone who tells a congregation that a son or a daughter or anyone in the room is an abomination in the eyes of  a deity ought to be put against a wall and urgh.. can I even say it – shot? NO – Tax Status revoked yes that is a good start. Because rest assured that someone some where down the chain is going to die as a result of this type of teaching.

2. Parents teaching children to hate gays and lesbians by modeling anti-gay behavior and fostering use of words like “faggot” etc.

3. School Districts, Principals, Officials - by not taking bullying seriously – there should be a zero tolerance policy.  Bullies should be expelled and kicked out of schools never to be allowed back. Parents should know that if their kids were caught bullying or calling names, then they would be the ones to have home school the child. Trust me that would wake parents up  – to get on their kids – to teach right from wrong. Principals stand to lose funding with expulsions – maybe then they would take this matter seriously.

4. The Government  ( all of Congress) of the USA:- The failure of the Government to legislate nondiscrimination and equality laws, the failure to repeal separatist and anti-gay legislation, on each and every aspect of  LGBT civil rights and basic human rights, endorses the marginalization of gays, lesbians and transgender people, thereby providing license for hate. If a sitting congress charged with upholding the constitution  messages an entire country through act or omission in legislation that gays and lesbians are not worthy and are NOT equal, then the message is that it is okay to hate gays and lesbians.

5. Politicians who use gay rights and equality as a wedge issue to incite hate, fear, for campaign purposes are in fact contributing to the ill treatment of gays. People hear anti gay advertisements – such as those my child was bombarded with in California during the proposition 8 vote campaign.

6. The creation of organizations specifically to target and scapegoat gays and lesbians, to raise money by asserting gays as having an agenda to be feared, describing  gays and LGBT families as threats to straight marriage and lifestyles, thereby creating a hate cottage industry that brings in nice dollars and salaries for those at the helm.

MIX IN ALL of the above – a  steaming hot giant size bowl of terrorism- enough to feed 200 million -  cooked up by our own and fed to our own.

Read more.    Source: lezgetreal.com

Related: A Message for Gay & Lesbian Teens from a Survivor Victim & an Activist

Director Helps Put Peru on the Film Map

Javier Fuentes-León’s debut feature movie, “Undertow,” deals with an uneasy and secret homosexual relationship in a fishing community in his native country, Peru.

As a result, the movie has earned acclaim as a new take on “Brokeback Mountain,” Ang Lee’s depiction of homosexuality in the American West, but steeped instead in Latin American magic realism.

Mr. Fuentes-León, however, is irritated rather than flattered by such a comparison, which he finds “lazy” on the part of movie critics, as well as prejudiced.

“Some people seem to want to see all homosexual stories as the same, but it doesn’t seem that every movie about a boy and a girl struggling in a forbidden relationship gets called a remake of ‘Romeo and Juliet,”’ Mr. Fuentes-León, writer-director, said in an interview during a visit to Madrid.

“Undertow” was released in Peru in late August. It was released in Spain on Sept. 17, when it also had its U.S. roll-out, in San Francisco, and has opened in some parts of Europe. The movie is reaching a wider audience since winning several prizes, including the audience award at the Sundance festival this year.

Besides Mr. Fuentes-León, a handful of other directors have also put Peru on the moviemaking map. Claudia Llosa’s “Milk of Sorrow” won the Golden Bear award at the Berlin International Film Festival in 2009, while “October,” which was directed by Daniel and Diego Vega, picked up a prize at the Cannes festival this year.

“It’s great to see that Peruvian cinema is making some splash,” Mr. Fuentes-León said. “But I do find it funny to be part of a ‘new generation’ when in fact I’m not exactly that young anymore.”

Mr. Fuentes-León, 42, took a long, tortuous road toward making his first movie. After high school, he opted to study medicine in Lima, spending eight years learning how to use a scalpel rather than a camera.

“I always knew that cinema was the world in which I wanted to live,” he said. “But I wasn’t in a society and at a time in which you could just do whatever you wanted to do. Nobody in my family belonged to the art world and it was simply not an acceptable career option.”

Read more.    Source: nytimes.com

Michelle Williams joins London talks

Michelle Williams ("Brokeback Mountain") has joined the Screen Talks series of onstage interviews at the BFI London Film Festival.
The actress, who stars in fest titles "Blue Valentine" and "Meek's Cutoff," joins Mark Romanek, helmer of fest opener "Never Let Me Go," and "Black Swan" helmer Darren Aronofsky in the series of conversations.

Read more.    Source: variety.com

Michelle Williams in "Meek's Cutoff"    Image via fanpop.com

Barstow Library Observes Banned Books Week

When library employee Steve Smith went to gather religious texts — which often face challenges — for the display, he noticed that someone at the library may have taken the banning into their own hands and stolen the Barstow branch’s copy of the Quran.

“I can’t say 100 percent that it was stolen, but the computer says it should be in the stacks and it’s not there,” said Smith.  

Smith said the only challenge to materials at the Barstow branch that he can recall came when two Barstow residents asked that the video copy of “Brokeback Mountain” be taken off the shelves. The library did not comply, but someone did check the video out some time ago and has yet to return it.

The American Library Association compiles a yearly list of banned books based on newspaper reports as well as forms that library personnel submit to the ALA. “Sexually explicit content” is the top  reason for challenges, with 1,114 submitted from 2001 to 2009, according to ALA reports.

Read more.    Source: desertdispatch.com

NOM Exposed by HRC, Courage Campaign

NOM Exposed, a website launched Tuesday by the Human Rights Campaign and the Courage Campaign, reveals the antigay affiliations of the National Organization for Marriage, discloses its substantial financial resources, and provides a dynamic space for activists to fight back.

Based on months of analysis and research drawn from public records, NOM Exposed was created to lay bare what the Washington, D.C.-based organization itself tries to hide through lawsuits like its recent challenges to disclosure laws in Rhode Island, New York, and Florida. The site reveals the deep-pocketed donors, such as the Catholic Church and the Mormon Church, that have helped the organization amass almost $10 million in the three years since it burst onto the scene with the Proposition 8 battle in California. NOM Exposed also monitors the organization’s current campaigns to defeat equality in states including but not limited to California, New Hampshire, New York, Minnesota, and Iowa.

Read more.    Source: advocate.com

Second Life: The Brokeback Gay Rights Awareness Center

On Thurday 30th at 12 SL time, The Brokeback Gay Rights Awareness Center traditionally holds a ceremony at its cathedral to remember the victims of homophobia.

Every year, all around the world, thousands of people are imprisoned, tortured or killed because of who they are.

Homophobia is NOT an opinion. It is a crime.

People from all over Second Life have sent poems to pay a tribute to all our lost friends. You can hear them by clicking the readers in front of the Church.

At 12 pm, Carmen Roeth and Sioux Nikolaidis will be singing a song .

If you wish to light a candle, you can do it inside the church, on the Memorial to the Victims of Homophobia and Transphobia or on the Memorial to Gay Deportation.

Here is the LM to the Cathedral.

Jake Just Because

See Jake (and his new beard) over in Jake's Eyelashes, Volume 18!

A METHOD TO THEIR OUTFITS

The cowboy uniform is more than just a draw for the girls.

Here is what they wear and why:

The stetson shades his eyes from low sun, his head from the heat and is an umbrella in the rain and snow.

A scarf protects the vulnerable blood vessels of the throat from the cold.

Shirt fasteners mean fast release if a horse has thrown him and is dragging him by his shirt.

Chaps protect against rain, burns in branding and the sharp underbrush of the horse's coat.

The boots have high heels to anchor to the ground when branding or wrestling a steer.

The pointed toes are for accessing stirrups easily.

Read more.    Source: dailyrecord.co.uk

Cowboy Costume from cheapestbargain.com

Rainbow Art: Bryce Canyon National Park

"I was caught in a downpour at Bryce Canyon NP one summer day but, rather than
head back to the hotel, we waited the rain out and just as the sun was dropping
there was a clearing in the sky and the most beautiful rainbow appeared
from edge to edge in the canyon."     flickr photo by laurieexcell

Fun Question of the Week

This week's question: What (and where) is the world's largest banana?

Let us know your answers in the Response Thread.

Last week's question and answer:  What civil rights leader did Dorothy Parker leave the bulk of her estate to?  Speaking of Dorothy Parker, it is said that she once said this about a star in a Broadway play: "[She] ran the gamut of emotions, from A to B." Who is she referring to?

fritzkep was right when he said "Dorothy Parker left her estate to the NAACP, despite having had no connection with the organization previously."

kathy answered the second part correctly: "Dorothy Parker said this about Katharine Hepburn."

As always, thanks for playing along!

The Cowboy Image

Posted by coal615 in Cowboy Up!

Post of the Day

By foreverinawe in Reactions to Brokeback by friends, family & audiences

Friends,

I guess this just amounts to an itch I have to scratch, but....it really does itch bad.

I've always loved Gone With the Wind, and its immortal (to me) introduction. How I wish that Brokeback Mountain had some equivalent sentiment somewhere. No, I don't mean a new lead-in on the screen, just some expression(s) written where they might be read, if anyone felt the need.

So I'd like to invite those who might be interested to try something with me. I've made this short video to show what I mean.

If you care to, please write something and post it on this thread. I may try to put them together, I'm not sure. Right now I don't know where it will lead, but I'm sure it will be a heartfelt trip for all of us.

~~~fia

The Forum Image

Posted by Cally in Life Through The Lens 5

About an hour ago - 7.45 am. The gangway was for when we had elderly cats.
Now we've got younger ones, but we keep it for old time's sake.

Posted by conny in Life Through The Lens 5

fall is starting to come

Quote of the Day

"Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it."

~  Helen Keller ~

Photo Caption of the Day

Posted by TwistandShout in Photo Captioning Fun 6

IT'S THANKSGIVING. NOT THE FEAST OF SAN GENNARO . . .

Sausage and meatballs? You have a hankerin' for

S A U S A G E   A N D   M E A T B A L L S  . . ?

Contributors:  foreverinawe, coal615, Cally, conny, TwistandShout

Calendar of Events

If you have ideas about initiating a gathering, go to Start Your Own Threads
and get the ball rolling to plan a get-together near you.

Fifth Anniversary Screening of Brokeback Mountain
and the staged reading of selections from Beyond Brokeback

Los Angeles, CA, December 11th, 2010

Let us know of any events you’d like listed here.

The Daily Sheet is a production of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum at www.davecullen.com/forum.

Today's edition by gnash

Researchers: BayCityJohn, Killersmom, Kittyhawk, Marge_Innavera, Stilllearning

Editors emeritae: CactusGal, Marge_Innavera, tellyouwhat, Stilllearning, MissYouSoMuch

We count on you to send us your news items, questions, and nominations for posts of the day.
If you have items you’d like to see published, send them to gnash.

To subscribe to The Daily Sheet, click the “Notify” button at the top or bottom of the page.
When a new issue of TDS is posted, you will be notified by e-mail.

The Daily Sheet Archives
Respond to The Daily Sheet
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 01:44:20 AM by gnash »
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
Re: The Daily Sheet October 2010
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 10:14:09 PM »

Tuesday, October 12th, 2010

Celebrating National Coming Out Day!

National Coming Out Day is an internationally observed civil awareness day
for coming out and discussion about gay, lesbian, bisexual, asexual and transgender
(LGBT) issues. It is observed by members of the LGBT communities and their
supporters on October 11 every year, or October 12 in the United Kingdom.

National Coming Out Day: What does it mean to you?

As cultural discourse around gay rights hits a fever pitch, messages of support for the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender community are pouring out online.

Today is National Coming Out Day, a movement started by the Human Rights Campaign in order for LGBT people -- and their straight allies -- to help raise awareness surrounding gay rights issues. This year, the theme weighs heavily on the importance of ending bullying. People are donating their Facebook statuses at such rapid pace that it's crashing the HRC application that helps them do it. (While we're on the subject: Ricky Martin turned the Human Rights Campaign dinner into a surprise coming out party this past weekend.)

But even as National Coming Out Day unfolds as a way for people to support one another, national headlines indicate conflicting views on homosexuality are mainstream. Last night, New York Republican gubernatorial candidate Carl Paladino told Orthodox Jewish leaders he doesn't want children "brainwashed into thinking that homosexuality" is acceptable.

Headlines like these bump up against reports of gay teen suicides. Seattle-based gay columnist Dan Savage created the It Gets Better video project to show teens that "happiness was possible in the future."

Read more. Source: voices.washingtonpost.com

North Grad Took Own Life After Week of 'Toxic' Comments

A week after attending a Norman City Council meeting where a heated debate played out in public, 19-year-old Zach Harrington took his own life at his family’s home in Norman [Oklahoma].

At the Sept. 28 meeting Harrington attended at City Hall, the council acknowledged receipt of a proclamation recognizing October as Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender History Month in the city. Council voted 7 to 1 in favor of it, with only Councilman Dan Quinn casting a nay vote.

Support for and opposition to the proclamation were fairly even and the public comment portion of the agenda item lasted for three hours — the entire time allotted.

The entire process was an exercise in representative government, with both sides — and those in between — given their chance to speak their minds.

One man said he moved to Norman because he thought it was the kind of place that would never accept the GLBT community with open arms. A woman, who described herself as “bi-racial,” said she was tired of the GLBT plight being compared to Civil Rights.

Some of those who opposed the proclamation claimed that members of the GLBT community would use it to infiltrate the public school system, essentially allowing the “gay lifestyle” to become a part of the curriculum.

Read more. Source:  normanmanuscript.com

Watch a video of the Norman, Oklahoma City Council Debate

A Letter of Thanks to Hal Ezzell, Ward 3 Council Member, Norman, OK

by Rubin Safaya

Dear Mr. Ezzell:

I wanted to take a moment to express my gratitude and admiration to you.  I'm not a resident of Oklahoma.  I currently live in Dallas, TX.  I've been married for nine years to a woman from Canada.  I have a couple of dogs, one speeding ticket and no outstanding warrants to my name.  I'm a responsible, productive U.S. Citizen.  I am, however, in a couple of minorities and I was fortunate to be raised by parents who cared not what I think but that I think, and so proceeded from an early age to arm me with a deep regard for being informed and educated, which lends itself to knowing how to think and navigate the myriad obstacles of life.

In 1976, my family immigrated from India to Grand Forks, North Dakota.  At age three, I was diagnosed with mild spastic diplegia, a form of Cerebral Palsy.  I have experienced discrimination in many forms throughout my youth.  I've been called a "cripple" by principals who barely understood how arcane and hurtful a term that is.  I've been told by school mates to go back to my own country.  Thirty years later it comes to my attention in the recent media focus on gay teen suicides that a young man had committed suicide after hearing some of the spiteful, divisive comments coming from the Norman community's debate on a resolution to recognize and foster understanding between the gay community and Norman as a whole.  I don't mention this to make some haphazard cause-effect judgment on the community, but to simply state that, unfortunately, this is how the discussion in Norman came to my attention just today.

While I'm often skeptical of the media—despite, or perhaps because I am part of it—I took the time to research the issue.  I watched the entire city council discussion from end to end.  I found a very clear delineation between those who supported the measure and those who protested it.  Supporters quite frequently demonstrated themselves to be articulate, informed and clearly aware of the text of the resolution up for consideration.  Protesters routinely presented ill-prepared, uninformed and illogical arguments demonstrating very little comprehension of basic principles of cause and effect.  These lines were drawn quite clearly, but not on the basis of age, or race, or gender, length of residence in the community.  The common denominator tended to be a rather selective doctrinal view that has, I think, been commandeered by self-interested individuals seeking office.

I was pleased to watch your statement about the varied communications you've received from residents and your break-down of the process and underlying purpose of law in this country.  I firmly believe that the U.S. Constitution is one of the greatest governing documents ever written, precisely because it ensures that even in a democracy by popular vote, the rights of all citizens and legal permanent residents are to be protected from the tyranny of a majority or minority.

I would like to thank you for your thorough, articulate, informed analysis of the issue concerning the resolution to foster better understanding of gays and their history as an integral part of society.  Most notably, you took to task certain boiler-plate counter-arguments and underscored that a majority doesn't need to be extended recognition because every day belongs to the majority.  You also brought to attention the political maneuvering that protracted the discussion around this issue, and you raised that point so well as to imply perhaps some disappointment in your fellow citizens that they've been so easily manipulated, misinformed and divided for purposes that have little to do with any deep concern for morals or values.

Thank you once again, for bringing clarity to this issue in such an eloquent, level manner.  When discourse in this country has become so polarized as to be reduced to people screaming uninformed rants at one another, it is very refreshing to see such a clear, concise analysis of the material facts at play.

Sincerely,

Rubin Safaya, Editor/Publisher, Cinemalogue.com

Full letter reprinted with permission from Rubin Safaya

Tyler Clementi's Death and Focus on the Family

By now we’ve all heard of the suicide of Tyler Clementi, the 18 year-old freshman at Rutgers University whose sexual encounter with another man was secretly videod and streamed by his roommate Dharun Ravi and his roommate’s friend Molly Wei.

Also to take their own lives this month were Seth Walsh, and Asher Brown, both only thirteen-years-old. Both boys were bullied mercilessly and finally reached a point where they couldn’t take anymore.

This weekend NBC News interviewed a young man named Garret Waddell (not sure if that’s the correct spelling). Garret was in junior high when his classmates learned he was gay. A very emotional Garret told Rehema Ellis, “I got text messages like… they were just horrible. It was very depressing.” One day Garret called his mom, and according to her, he said, “I’m in the garage, and I have a knife and I don’t like myself, I don’t like my life, there’s no reason to go on.”

Thank God he discovered the Trevor Project, an organization dedicated to helping young people who are on the verge of making that final and fatal decision.

These stories are highly personal to me. I’m reluctant to take the first-person narrative for many reasons, but I feel compelled to.

Read more.    Source: examiner.com

It Gets Better

Young & the Restless actor Thom Bierdz has created a video for the “It Gets Better” campaign — but with a twist.

The out actor, who also plays gay on the soap, has made a name for himself in the art world in recent years. He’s also involved in the American Art Awards, and this year, he’s inviting LGBT teens to submit art and show America “what it’s like to be a gay teen.”

Watch the video on YouTube.

Our forum's own Cellerdwellar115 has posted his own response to support the It Gets Better campaign. Here's a link to his post on the forum and the link to his YouTube video.

Gay Rights in Serbia

WHEN VINCENT Degert addressed a 1,000-strong gay-rights demonstration in Belgrade on Sunday he was sending out a number of important messages to Serbia. Protected by more than 5,000 police from an even larger stone-throwing counter-demonstration, the EU ambassador told the crowd waving rainbow flags: “We are here to celebrate this very important day . . . to celebrate the values of tolerance, freedom of expression and assembly”. It was an unusual forum for a diplomatic démarche which should help to put a human face on the often-remote union, a practical personal gesture of empathy and solidarity which should be applauded.

Degert’s presence, with several other member state diplomats, was intended to emphasise both that tolerance and gay rights are core EU values, and that Serbia’s vocation for membership of the union also requires it to defend them. The last gay pride parade in Serbia – in 2001 – saw marchers badly beaten by a mob as police stood by idly, while last year the parade was cancelled because of threats. Elsewhere in the Balkans, gay-pride events are held regularly in the Slovenian capital Ljubljana, and in Zagreb, capital of Croatia.

Serbia remains deeply hostile to homosexuality – recent polls showed 67 per cent believe it an illness and 49 per cent say they would not tolerate a family member coming out as gay. ...

Read more.  Source: irishtimes.com

YouTube: Watch as far-right supporters clash with police at gay pride in Belgrade.

University of Southern California Libraries Become
Home to World’s Largest LGBT Research Collection

ONE Archives donates materials documenting the history and culture of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender communities

The ONE National Gay & Lesbian Archives has donated the world’s largest research collection related to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender history to the University of Southern California Libraries.

The collection includes pioneering magazines, papers of LGBT activists and entertainers, and other materials that document diverse LGBT experiences. With its focus on the LGBT stories of Los Angeles, the ONE Archives collection complements the USC Libraries’ extensive holdings in regional history.

“The USC Libraries will make the ONE Archives collection accessible to future generations of students, scholars and researchers at USC and around the world,” said Catherine Quinlan, dean of the USC Libraries. “The collection will support teaching and research in history, gender studies, anthropology, literary studies and so many other disciplines. I thank the ONE Archives board of directors for their confidence in the USC Libraries and for entrusting these unique and valuable materials to our care.”

The ONE Archives collection reveals the complex stories of many national, watershed events in LGBT history, including the Stonewall riots, the identification of HIV and the debate over Proposition 8, California’s controversial Marriage Protection Act. The collection also highlights pre-Stonewall LGBT history and the significant role of Los Angeles and West Coast activists in advancing LGBT issues.

Read more.    Source: kansascity.com    Visit onearchives.org

What's In A Name?

A 2-Poisson Model for Probabilistic Coreference of Named Entities for Improved Text Retrieval

Named entities referring to entities in the real world are important queries in text retrieval. Examples of named entities ...include person names (such as Bill Clinton), company names (such as Qualcomm), movie names (such as Brokeback Mountain), etc..

Source: comp.nus.edu

Gay Group Rallies after Cookie Fiasco

Equality rally draws protesters

City Market was filled with people and music Monday morning, as a couple hundred people gathered for what they were calling a rally for equality.

"We just want to bring education and awareness to the community so there is equal rights for both the gay and straight communities, so we can all come together and celebrate," organizer Nichole Thomas said.

The rally comes after last month’s cookie controversy inside City Market. A bakery called Just Cookies turned down an order by a gay student group, after the group requested special rainbow-themed cookies for Monday, National Coming Out Day.

One of the owners turned the order down and made it known he didn't think the event should be celebrated. A discrimination firestorm erupted.

The bakery owners say they will sell cookies to anyone. However, they don't fill special orders.

Source: comp.nus.edu

Book Feature: Ben Tousey

MY EGYPT: WHY I LEFT THE EX-GAY MOVEMENT

I used to say often that "Since I gave up on God I feel a lot better about him."It was late September, 1984. Although he was only eighteen years old, this young man was already tired-worn out, lost and confused. What was it that had taken such a toll on his life even though he was still so very young? My Egypt is the story of one man's journey through the Exodus movement and the "Dark side of God."

Ben Tousey's book is available on the forum's Amazon bookstore.

Part of the Brooklyn Gang series
Leader of the Pack

‘They treated me like an invisible man,” Bruce Davidson told me. “I was a shadow.”

He was sitting in the living room of a large, tony Upper West Side apartment building with a courtyard — the fruit of a long and very distinguished career in American photography — and was talking about something that happened more than a half century ago. In 1959, he spent 11 months shooting a stunning portfolio of the members of a Brooklyn gang called the Jokers, producing one of the first full-immersion photo essays about an American youth subculture. He remembers it well, and not entirely happily: “They were 15, 16 years old, Polish and Irish kids. They were abandoned, there was nothing for them, they were very poor, they came from alcoholic families.” Davidson was young, too: he was 25 when he first contacted the gang, a Jewish kid from Illinois, slightly built and both unassuming and bold, who’d moved to the city to take pictures, heard about a rumble out near Prospect Park and went to see what he could see.

They were tough kids, and guarded, but as time passed they let him see everything, it seems: drinking in back alleys, moments of rage, make-out sessions in the backs of cars, liaisons under the Coney Island boardwalk. Davidson is 77 now, but you can still see how he called forth that kind of trust: he is courtly, quiet, unassuming, curious and mischievous. “I think that when I photograph I have to feel empathetic,” he said. “I have to feel that I want to belong. And they needed to be seen. No one was looking at them; no one was observing them. I could identify with that emotion in myself at that time. I could grab hold and be part of that isolation. And even within that isolation I found beauty, meaning and their vitality.”

Read more.  Source: nytimes.com

Typing One-Handed? Five-Button Jellyfish-Like Keyboard

The two-handed keyboard we use today isn’t the only possible option. One design that’s been around since 1968 is the chorded keyboard: a one-handed device that lets you use just a few keys in specific combinations to perform regular keyboard functions. The idea was originally conceived by Douglas Engelbart, the inventor of the computer mouse. Designer Erik Campbell is giving the chorded keyboard a new face with his jellyfish-inspired optical keyset.

This modern version of the one-handed keyset is designed to fit the hand and reduce stress on the fingers when typing. It takes up hardly any room on the desk, which is great for people who can’t seem to keep their workspace clean. The beauty of the chorded keyset is that, with enough practice, a user can type with these few keys even faster than on a a full-sized keyboard. For users with physical difficulties, typing efficiently with just one hand can be a great improvement over hunting and pecking on a keyboard.

Read more.  Source: gajitz.com

Taking A Trip Up Brokeback Mountain

Dear Eye View,

My husband and I were sweethearts through high school and college and have been married for nine years. We have two beautiful children and are very happy. My husband started a new job a few years ago and immediately struck up a close friendship with an unmarried male co-worker. They go on regular weekend fishing and hunting trips. They are so inseparable that our friends, families, and even their co-workers joke about their “bromance.” My husband has never displayed any bisexual or gay tendencies before. But he and his friend hug, often have their arms around each other, sit next to each other on our couch when watching TV, and talk for hours in our backyard. They even tell each other, “Love you.” I don’t believe my husband has said that to any other man, even his father. The friend has become part of our family. The kids adore him and call him “Uncle.” Sometimes I find myself feeling jealous of their closeness. Our conversations tend to be about paying bills, housework, and the kids. I tried to talk to my husband about how he and his friend often make me feel like a third wheel. My husband asked whether I want him to cut his friend out of our lives. I don’t, but I’m getting frustrated and a little resentful. Any advice?

Third Wheel

Dear Third Wheel,

I understand your concern. One evening have a get- together and  pop in a Brokeback Mountain cd. If your husband gets all weepy you’re screwed but not in a good way. I think you are in the middle of a full blown brodeo. Saddle up you are in for a rough ride.  Hope this helps,

Eye View

Source: moodyeyeview.com

HHS Awards LA Gay Center $13.3 million for LGBTQ Foster Youth

West Hollywood, California (October 11, 2010) - Last week the LA Gay & Lesbian Center was awarded a landmark $13.3 million, five-year grant from the Federal Department of Health & Human Services (HHS) Administration on Children, Youth and Families to create a model program that will provide life-saving support for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning (LGBTQ) youth in the foster care system.

Following a highly competitive review process, six grants were awarded—the Center’s grant is the only one specifically to support LGBTQ youth and the only grant that did not go to a government agency or academic institution.

It’s also the largest federal grant ever awarded to an LGBT organization.

Read more.  Source: wehonews.com

Rainbow Art: Shibori Rainbow Tee

"I call this a shibori design. As I understand it, shibori is a Japanese
term that could be loosely defined to include all tie dye, so my apologies
to those who know what that is. I created this design on a Gildan brand
heavy weight cotton t-shirt using Procion dyes that won't wash out or fade.
Size unisex adult small. Thanks for looking!"
 Source: syllishirts.etsy.com

Need a stocking stuffer early? Syllishirts also sells rainbow
mandala bandanas for the gay cowboy on your gift list.

Colin Morgan (Merlin),
Bradley James (Prince Arthur)
and furry friends.
New Kids on the Block

A new thread about the Merlin TV Series has been open for business in The Juicy Bits board, and lawgoddess has all the details:

This thread is for discussion of the BBC TV series Merlin, as well as the actors and fanfiction.

The series is currently showing on the SyFy cable channel in the US, and is also available through iTunes and Hulu.  Season 1 is also available on dvd.

Please post spoiler warnings as needed for episodes in Season 2, and any speculation about Season 3.

As Bradley James would say, "Hello, Merlin fans."

Have fun!

Fun Question of the Week

This week's question: What came first? Kentucky Fried Chicken or Eggo brand frozen waffles?

Last week's question and answer:  What (and where) is the world's largest banana?

Sason answered, but it was tongue in cheek. (See photographic evidence!)

brianr answered correctly when he said, "When I was growing up (a long time ago), it was always claimed that the world's largest banana was at Coffs Harbour on the North coast of NSW 540 km north of Sydney.  Googling now does not show any other answer. It is a tourist attraction The Big Banana opened in 1964 standing 11 meters long, 5 meters high and 2.4 meters wide. I have driven past if often on the way to Queensland but do not remember ever stopping.

"Australia went through a period of building these rather kitsch tourist things. large Pineapple, large Merino etc. Not a thing I am proud of and not the sort of thing I add to my travel itinerary. ;D"

For a peek at the world's biggest banana, click here.

Giant donuts more your thing?
Try this link.

The Cowboy Image

Photograph by Bruce Davidson.  Source: siblingshot.com

Post of the Day

By fritzkep in Weather Phenomena

Unusual weather here today, it's 95 outside right now, but 11% humidity, dew point 32. There's a red flag fire warning in the country because of the low humidity and wind (20-30 mph). It feels surprisingly comfortable outside.

What's with the hot weather, anyway?

The Forum Image

Posted by Miasland in Life Through The Lens 5

This afternoon. My newborn grandson Birger sleeping on his father's chest, the first time I saw him.

Quote of the Day

“Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made
a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life, but define yourself.”

~  Harvey Fierstein ~

Photo Caption of the Day

Posted by AZ.bbm in Photo Captioning Fun 6

I Know What You Did Last Summer

Click to enlarge picture

Contributors: lawgoddess, CellarDweller115, brianr, Sason, fritzkep, Miasland, AZ.bbm

Calendar of Events

The Daily Sheet is a production of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum at www.davecullen.com/forum.

Today's edition by gnash

Editors emeritae: CactusGal, Marge_Innavera, tellyouwhat, Stilllearning, MissYouSoMuch

We count on you to send us your news items, questions, and nominations for posts of the day.

To subscribe to The Daily Sheet, click the “Notify” button at the top or bottom of the page.

The Daily Sheet Archives
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 04:24:18 AM by gnash »
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 11:13:52 PM »

Tuesday, October 19th, 2010

LGBT Youth Suicides Spark Calls for Change

When Gabriel Haggray was a ninth grader at Salem High School in Conyers, Ga., he said he was bullied incessantly and would often go home after school and sit in his bedroom sobbing alone, feeling worthless.

“It was horrible. In gym class they would take my gym shorts or when I was in my gym clothes they would steal my street clothes,” he remembered. “One guy would always take my lunch, call me a fag and ask why I was still around.”

At first, Haggray said he “just took it” — he just put up with the bullying. Eventually he got tired of it and sought someone to listen to him as he dealt with the insecurity of being gay as well as finding a way to stop being bullied.

Fortunately, Haggray was able to find an empathetic counselor who presided over peer mediation with two of the boys who were bullying him, he said.

And after that, the bullying stopped. But during his senior year in high school, after he was completely out to his classmates and teachers, he ran for student council president. Someone went through the halls of the school and wrote “fag” and “homosexual” on his posters.

But because he had found a tight group of friends and support from teachers, the anti-gay vandalism didn’t hurt as much as it would have when he was in the ninth grade, he said.

“It’s very important to have good friends. They helped me through everything,” he said.

Read more.    Source: thegavoice.com

Texas Councilman Gives Emotional Testimony Against Bullying

Openly gay Fort Worth, Texas, City Councilman Joel Burns gave an impassioned plea to youth struggling with their sexual identity during a meeting Tuesday night, urging them not to despair in the face of intense adversity.

"I want to tell any teen who might see this, give yourself a chance to see just how much better life will get," Burns said, fighting back tears. "And it will get better, you will get out of the household that doesn't accept you, you will get out of that high school and you never have to deal with those jerks again if you don't want to. You will find and you will make new friends who will understand you and life will get so, so, so much better."

Burns began his speech with a display of a number of recent teens who have taken their own lives as a result of gay bullying from their peers. The councilman admitted that he, too, had been a victim of persecution as a high school student.

Watch the video and read more.    Source: huffingtonpost.com

Fight Bullying by Wearing Purple on Oct 20

Some people in Oakland County will be wearing purple on Wednesday, Oct. 20, in memory of the six gay men who committed suicide this year after being harassed for their sexuality, and participants are urging others to take part in this national Spirit Day.

“Wear purple because you support the mourning families and the struggle with which they now must come to terms,” said Zac Wieber, a graduate of Notre Dame Preparatory in Pontiac. “Wear purple because you know in your heart that what was done was wrong. Wear it because you never want someone to feel like they’re so alone again. Let them know you hear them, and let them know you care.”

Read more.    Source: theoaklandpress.com

Just to Be Clear: Paladino Compared
Gay Marriage to Evil Nazi Horrors

New York Republican gubernatorial candidate Carl Paladino apologized late yesterday afternoon for remarks he'd made in Brooklyn over the weekend, remarks widely condemned as bigoted and menacing -- particularly after a recent string of gay teen suicides and the torturing of two young gay men in the Bronx.

"I sincerely apologize for any comment that may have offended the Gay and Lesbian Community or their family members," he wrote in an email sent out by his campaign. "Any reference to branding an entire community based on a small representation of them is wrong." To address any remaining ambiguity, Paladino clarified the extent of his opposition to discrimination against any group (a reassuring "100%"), as well as to hate crimes of any form (also "100%"). On the issue of gay marriage specifically, Paladino now claims simply to have "the same position on this issue as President Barrack Obama [sic]."

All welcome clarifications, but for one small thing: In his weekend speech, Paladino didn't just imply some ugly slanders about gay people or tacitly endorse hate crimes; he equated gay marriage with the Holocaust -- and, for good measure, with political violence against blacks in the Civil Rights-era South.

Read more.    Source: theatlantic.com

Image via dailybail.com. Read their article: Carl Paladino Is A Racist: Tea Party NY Gov Candidate's E-Mails Exposed

My Jewish Perspective on Homosexuality

I tell gay couples they still have 611 of the Torah's 613 rules to keep them busy.

SHMULEY BOTEACH -- Carl Paladino, the Republican candidate for governor of New York, sparked controversy this week by declaring in a speech at an Orthodox synagogue that children shouldn't be "brainwashed" into considering homosexuality acceptable. He later apologized, saying that he supports gay rights but opposes gay marriage. The Rabbi who hosted Mr. Paladino's speech then retracted his endorsement of the candidate.

Some people of faith insist that homosexuality is gravely sinful because the Bible calls it an "abomination." But that word appears approximately 122 times in the Bible. Eating nonkosher food is an "abomination" (Deuteronomy 14:3). A woman returning to her first husband after being married in the interim is an "abomination" (Deuteronomy 24:4). Bringing a blemished sacrifice on God's altar is an abomination (Deuteronomy 17:1). Proverbs goes so far as to label envy, lying and gossip "an abomination to [the Lord]" (3:32, 16:22).

As an orthodox Rabbi, I do not deny the biblical prohibition on male same-sex relationships. I simply place it in context. There are 613 commandments in the Torah. One is to refrain from gay sex. Another is for men and women to marry and have children. So when Jewish gay couples tell me they have never been attracted to members of the opposite sex and are desperately alone, I tell them, "You have 611 commandments left. That should keep you busy. Now, go create a kosher home. Turn off the TV on the Sabbath and share your meals with many guests. Pray to God three times a day for you are his beloved children. He desires you and seeks you out."

I once asked Pat Robertson, "Why can't you simply announce to all gay men and women, 'Come to Church. Whatever relationship you're in, God wants you to pray. He wants you to give charity. He wants you to lead a godly life." He answered to the effect that homosexuality is too important to overlook, as it is the greatest threat to marriage and the family. Other evangelical leaders have told me the same.

But with one of every two heterosexual marriages failing, much of the Internet dedicated to degrading women through pornography, and a culture that is materially insatiable while all-too spiritually content, can we straight people really say that gays are ruining our families? We've done a mighty fine job of it ourselves, thank you very much.

Read more.    Source: online.wsj.com

Wyoming Governor Candidates Split On Gay Issues

The leading candidates for governor of Wyoming are split on whether the state should allow same-sex marriages.

Speaking Tuesday night at a debate at the University of Wyoming, Republican nominee Matt Mead said he believes that marriage should only exist between a man and a woman.

However, Mead emphasized he believes that Wyoming should make sure that gay and lesbian youngsters aren't bullied in school.

"Whatever the situation is, we need to make sure people in Wyoming are treated fairly, they're treated honestly, that they have worth, and we do not treat them as a lesser class of citizen," Mead said.

Democrat Leslie Petersen (pictured) said she would be glad to sign a bill to recognize gay marriage if one reached her desk as governor. However, she said she doesn't expect that to happen.

Petersen said she's been traveling the state campaigning for the past several months. "And I believe the people in Wyoming are not ready for any discussion of gay marriage," she said.

Read more.    Source: cbs4denver.com

Read about Wyoming's gubernatorial candidates at the wyoptv.org website.

Professor Blasted for Remarks on LGBT Event

Students seeking promotion of film fest met with advice not to support homosexual lifestyle

A professor at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire used an e-mail about a campus film festival on homosexual culture as a platform for incendiary, bigoted remarks.

The inaugural Eau Queer Film Festival’s student director sent out an e-mail to the women’s studies program faculty members asking for assistance in publicizing the event. The director received a discouraging response (.pdf) from a campus department chair urging against the promotion of certain aspects of the event.

The UW-Eau Claire women’s studies program asked the student director’s name not be published.

Information Systems Department Chair Thomas Hilton responded to the e-mail and criticized certain aspects of the homosexual lifestyle.

“These, our fellow humans, deserve our best efforts to help them recover their lives,” Hilton said in the e-mail. “We only hurt them further when we choose to pretend that these walking wounded are OK the way they are, that their present injuries are the best they can hope for in life.”

Other administration members condemned Hilton’s remarks.

Read more.    Source: badgerherald.com

Annie Proulx at the New Yorker Festival

The New Yorker Festival is available for viewing on FORA.tv

Watch individual Festival programs for 30 days from date of purchase for $4.95. Watch all select Festival programs on demand for 30 days from date of purchase for $59.95.

The New Yorker Festival, now in its eleventh year, brings together a distinguished group of writers, thinkers, artists, and other luminaries, and covers topics including film, music, politics, economics, architecture, fashion, and literature. From October 1st through October 3rd, in New York.

Living History: Peter Carey, E.L. Doctorow & Annie Proulx

Preview: Annie Proulx: Choice Words on Film Adaptations of Books    01 min 01 sec

See the complete listings for the Festival.    Source: fora.tv

The Making of Rufus Wainwright’s Prima Donna at TIGLFF

Singer-songwriter Rufus Wainwright has become known for his lush piano melodies and ornate song structure – often referred to as “Baroque pop,” and even, sometimes, “popera” – since his debut album was released in 1998. Over the past 12 years, he has established himself as a preeminent songwriter of his generation, able to transcend current trends and remain an enigmatic force on the music scene. And now, Wainwright – whose vast musical lineage includes singer-songwriter and father Loudon Wainwright III and mother-and-aunt folk duo Kate and Anne McGarrigle – a longtime fan of both classical music and opera has decided to delve into the world of Verdi and Schubert.

An intimate documentary directed by George Scott, Rufus Wainwright: Prima Donna, focusing on Wainwright’s foray into this world, [was] shown at the 21st annual Tampa International Gay and Lesbian Film Festival on Thursday, October 14. The film follows Wainwright, an openly gay musician since his teens, behind the scenes, as he grapples with the production of his first opera, Prima Donna. With home video footage and interviews with those closest to Wainwright, including friends, his boyfriend, his parents and his musician sister Martha Wainwright, as much as the documentary is about the opera itself, it’s also about his eccentric childhood, chronicling how he became the enigmatic and mercurial performer he is today.

When musicians throw themselves into projects outside the realm of what they’re known for, these creative forays are often dubbed as vanity projects and tossed aside by critics and fans alike. Wainwright, however, intends to make himself known on the modern opera scene as a serious contender. “When I first started this process, a lot of people didn’t take it seriously, maybe didn’t think I could pull it off,” he said. “But I think I came in and shocked everyone.”

Prima Donna, which debuted in Manchester, England in 2009, has a classic premise in a modern setting: Aging opera singer Regine Saint Laurent is making a triumphant return to the stage. Taking place throughout a day in the life of Saint Laurent, she confronts both her past and tenuous future, as she falls in love with the journalist covering her great comeback and return to form.

With his classical training, richly orchestrated ornate piano pop and long love of opera, which he calls “my religion and saving grace,” Wainwright is certainly not a surprising candidate to write a modern opera with mass appeal. “It’s something I’ve always wanted to do,” he said. “It’s something I’ve always dreamed of doing.”

As much as Prima Donna is a project to satisfy his own artistic needs, with a foot in both the pop and opera worlds, Wainwright knows that he has the opportunity to use his stature as a rock/pop artist to turn a younger audience on to classic opera, opening up an entirely new world to them. “That is the great triumph of this process,” he said. “About three-quarters of the audience have never even been to the opera.”

Read more.    Source: blogs.creativeloafing.com

Naked Director Photoshopped Out
of Love and Other Drugs Poster

Look closely at the poster for the Jake Gyllenhaal and Anne Hathaway Viagra-and-Parkinson's comedy Love and Other Drugs. Apparently, director Edward Zwick was actually naked and in the shot with his stars, but got Photoshopped out. At least that's what we heard at Zwick and Gyllenhaal’s recent New Yorker Festival Q&A with Anthony Lane. According to Zwick, Gyllenhaal and Hathaway had been complaining about how often he'd forced them to do nude scenes. "I said, 'What do you want me to do?'" said Zwick. "And they said, 'You take your clothes off.' And I said, 'Fine!'" Said Gyllenhaal: “It’s weird how eager you were, too. He was like, ‘That’s it? No problem!’ And then it was off. It terrified me! Like, all of a sudden, this really intimate relationship became way, way weird.” ...

Also, we learned a few other fun facts about Gyllenhaal:

• He accidentally offended the entire crew of Brokeback Mountain when he showed off his first “bad acting” attempt to play Jack Twist at age 40. “We did the first take and I was doing all this bad acting, like, limping around and my back was achy and I picked up this saddle and I grunted, and half of the crew was 40. They were like, ‘We’re 40. We’re not 80! We do more work than you do, you wimp actor.” Also, looking back on his performance, he really regrets the mustache, though he thinks it helped his acting. “It was hard to eat with that mustache,” he said. “Ultimately, it’s the pain that brings great performances.”

Read more fun facts about Jake.    Source: nymag.com

The Ambitiously Gay Duo

Howl filmmakers on James Franco’s latest gay role, working together and the movie’s controversy

Allen Ginsberg’s 1956 landmark poem Howl would become an influential and controversial part of the “Beat Generation” — and years later, give James Franco yet another reason to play gay.

In the eponymous film adaptation, directing duo Rob Epstein and Jeffrey Friedman (The Celluloid Closet, Common Threads) stray from documentaries to zero in on Ginsberg’s literary manifesto, focusing on the bard’s coming-to-terms with being gay while simultaneously recreating the resulting obscenity trial protesting his polarizing poem.

The filmmakers took a few minutes to discuss Franco’s turn as the gay icon — and why he’s not too hot for the role.

Chris Azzopardi: You’ve been making films together for over 20 years. What makes this relationship work?

Rob Epstein: How does our relationship work? Because we can’t answer that question! If we did, it would all fall apart (laughs).

Jeffrey Friedman: We complement each other in a lot of ways, but I couldn’t begin to define what those are exactly. We bounce ideas off each other, and we’ve found a way of working together creatively where what we come up with together is more interesting than what either of us might come up with on our own.

CA: Why did you use Ginsberg’s Howl as the stimulus for this film?

RE: The starting part was Ginsberg, and we were interested in doing something about this particular moment in his life, which seemed to be so formative and such a golden moment.

We were creatively excited about the challenge of coming up with a concept that would feel unique and different in the way that the poem was in its time. We really set out to find a cinematic contemporary equivalent to that approach; and then thematically, the poem itself is just so rich with so many different themes and so much significant content, so just getting to the meat of the poem also excited us.

Read more.    Source: qsaltlake.com   Read Howl on sprayberry.tripod.com

Students Shave It Off to Grow It Out

West Virginia University men will put down their razors and channel their inner mountain men for almost a month as part of the Beard Growing Competition.

The event has participants shave off their beards and not shave again until Mountaineer Week when they will be judged on the fullness of their beard.

Spenser Darden, a junior sports and exercise psychology major, participated in the Beard Growing Competition for the first time.

"I don't know if I will win, but I feel confident," he said.

Read more.    Source: thedaonline.com

Edgar and Clyde
Hoover Biopic: Clint Eastwood Says
No Joaquin Phoenix & No Gay Romance

The cinematic rumor mill was buzzing last month with news that quirky actor Joaquin Phoenix might team up with Leonardo DiCaprio for Clint Eastwood's upcoming J. Edgar Hoover biopic. Unfortunately, that rumor didn't last long. Hoover producer Rob Lorenz quickly set the record straight, stating that the filmmaker has never even considered Phoenix for the role of Hoover's protégé and likely lover, Clyde Tolson.

Now Eastwood has spoken out about September's casting rumors, his interests in the material and just how much of Hoover and Tolson's so-called relationship is in the film.

Here's a hint: This won't be a testosterone-fueled romance, nor a spirited sequel to Brokeback Mountain.

Read more.    Source: blog.moviephone.com    Image via zpub.com

Raymond Castro, a Veteran of 1969 Stonewall Rebellion, Dies

Raymond Castro, a veteran of the 1969 Stonewall Rebellion in New York City, died in his hometown of Madeira Beach, Florida on Saturday, October 9th.  He was 68 years old and is survived by his husband of 31 years, Frank Sturniolo, 50. On June 27, 1969 Castro was inside the Stonewall Inn on Christopher Street, on the first night of the uprising and is documented as the only person arrested that evening who was known to be gay, according to historian David Carter.

Although police raids of gay-friendly bars were sadly common at the time, on that night people fought back. As two officers were escorting Castro out of the bar, the crowd shouted, "Let him go, let him go," and he pushed against the waiting patrol wagon with both feet, knocking the two cops to the ground. He was put in the back of the vehicle and detained, but was later released without charge. He hired a lawyer to resist the charge against him in court and also his lawyer represent an arrested lesbian who was in the patrol wagon with him.  Typical of his generosity, he did not let the lesbian assist in paying the attorney who represented them. That night's events, including Castro's struggle against police, gave birth to the modern gay civil rights movement.

Read more.    Source: miamiherald.typepad.com

Drummer Magazine Founder John Embry Dies

John H. Embry, a pioneering gay author, Drummer magazine publisher, and activist died in his sleep on the morning of Thursday, September 16 at his home in San Francisco. He was 83.

After a successful career in advertising and marketing, Mr. Embry founded Drummer, the groundbreaking and most successful national publication for gay men in the leather lifestyle. Mr. Embry published the magazine from its inception in 1975 until 1986 when he sold it.

Mr. Embry and founding editor Jeanne Barney shared a vision: To produce a magazine that celebrated the masculine gay male, while embracing the literary values of the Evergreen Review, a publication famous for content that was counter to the culture and sexy. As such, they attracted such talent as Phil Andros (Sam Steward), Scott Masters (Edward Menerth), Fred Halsted, Tom of Finland, Harry Bush, and Robert Opel, among others.

Friends said that it is impossible to overstate the importance of Drummer. For the first time, gay men across the country – particularly gay men in small-town America – saw masculine images of themselves and not the stereotypes presented in mainstream media. Through their encounter with Drummer , many gay men realized that there were others like themselves "out there." At the same time, the magazine highlighted gay leather bars and businesses and gave those establishments a national venue.

The impact became even greater when, because of police harassment in Los Angeles, the magazine moved to San Francisco in 1977, generating an influx of gay leathermen to the Bay Area.

Jerry Lasley, Mr. Embry's business partner and husband remembered: "Drummer presented an image of gay men previously unknown to me. When I saw the photos of the hot guys having fun at the Drummer parties in San Francisco, I gave two weeks notice and headed west."

Read more.    Source: ebar.com

Outing Magazine: Deyong ~ Cowboy Artist

Deafness Drove Him Off the Range and Charlie Russell Taught Him to Paint

By Arthur A. Dailey, from Outing Magazine, August 1921

Seven years ago, Joe Deyong, a cowboy, lost his $40-a-month job punching cows in an Oklahoma ran on account of the loss of his hearing from spinal meningitis. But now–even though he is totally deaf–Joe is neither bothered about the loss of his hearing or the loss of his job, as he has developed into one of the few outstanding artists and sculptors of western life, under the tutelage of Charlie Russell, the cowboy artist and sculptor.

"Deafness a misfortune?" Joe says. "Well, maybe it is to some folks–but not to me. You know I never realized I could paint until I lost my hearing; and if it hadn't happened I'd probably still be punching cows. And," he adds with a grin, "painting pays a fellow much better than cowpunching."

When Joe lost that job of his down in Oklahoma he roamed around the country looking for a job. He could not find one. Most people were too busy or lacked the patience to be bothered with a man handicapped as Joe was. So, to pass the time away, Joe contented himself to making sketches of the life and the scenes familiar to himself and to every cowpuncher.

He was surprised to find that people recognized his sketches for what he intended them to me. So Joe just kept on sketching–and today, he is kept too busy and too contented to do anything else but make pictures of Western scenes, round-up scenes, horses and Indians, with the mountains, forests, chuckwagons, and teepees for his backgrounds. In his work he is living the only life he wants to lead–the life of a cowpuncher.

Read more.   Source: books.google.com

Clockwise from top: Joe DeYong, cowboy, philosopher, and pupil of Charlie Russell; Russelll in 1920; Deyong in 1908.

View more pics of Joe and Charlie at nationalcowboymuseum.com

Rainbow Art: Rainbow of Peace

"I took this photo while hovering over a chain of paper cranes
that were placed ever so gently on top of the ground zero memorial
in Nagasaki. My goal was to get all the colors i could. I had never seen
such a beautiful testament to peace."
    Image source: jasohill at flickr.com

Brokeback Mountain Screening: Trinity College, Hartford, CT

THURSDAY 21: Movie Night! 6:30pm @ Queer Resource Center

More info: Trinity Exchange

Chris Colfer in Glee
Better than Digital: Gay TV

A new thread called Gay TV has been turned on in TV & Music board, and moderator donna has the rundown:

Welcome to our new thread, "Gay TV."

This is the place to post information and discuss upcoming episodes of TV shows that have either a gay theme or a gay character in an episode.

For instance, you may never ordinarily watch "Friday Night Lights", but if there was a storyline dealing with a gay theme or character, you might want to know about it!

Thanks to Lyle (Mooska) for suggesting this thread and remember to follow the usual forum rules that are posted here.

Fun Question of the Week

This week's question:  Who was the first guest star to appear on The Muppet Show? Extra points if you can tell us Miss Piggy's full name.

Last week's question and answer:  What came first? Kentucky Fried Chicken or Eggo brand frozen waffles?

kathy answered correctly! Yes, the chicken came before the Eggo -- technically speaking. Kentucky Fried Chicken in 1952, Eggo Frozen Waffles in 1955. However, if you click the links you'll find that both products have been around since the 1930's.

Did you know that Eggo waffles were originally marketed as "Froffles"?

The Cowboy Image

By CellarDweller115 in Cowboy Up!

Post of the Day

By trekfan in Let's Get Serious about Heath

"Heath Ledger Theater to open in Jan." LINK

The highly anticipated State Theatre Centre of Western Australia will open in late January, Culture and the Arts Minister John Day announced today. ...

The facility, which includes the 575-seat Heath Ledger Theatre, will be open to the public on January 30 and will host the Perth International Arts Festival as its first major event in February.

The Forum Image

Posted by janjo in Life Through The Lens 5

"Here are a few of my pictures from our trip to the USA. ... These are a few from New York:

"Times Square"

Quote of the Day

“I remember how being young and black and gay and lonely felt.
A lot of it was fine, feeling I had the truth and the light
and the key, but a lot of it was purely hell.”

Audre Lorde ~

Photo Caption of the Day

Posted by Lyle (Mooska) in Photo Captioning Fun 6

Dear, Ennis:

Contributors: donna, CellarDweller115, janjo, trekfan, Lyle (Mooska)

Calendar of Events

Today's edition by gnash

The Daily Sheet Archives
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 12:06:17 AM »

Tuesday, October 26th, 2010

IT GETS BETTER: Supporting My Son by Maureen Goldin

The following speech was given at the Oct. 8 vigil at DePaul university, honoring those lost to suicide.

My name is Maureen and my 13-year-old son is gay.

I like to think that my son never really had to come out to his dad and I. From an early age, he was not your stereotypical boy. His favorite color was lighter pink, he loved dress up, his dream is to become a Fashion Designer and he is a gifted musician. Sports are not his thing and he is always surrounded by a gaggle of girls. Many parents have given me quizzical looks over the years about letting my son wear pink, or dress up as a "girl" witch for Halloween. But deep down I believed that if I suppressed his spirit and true being, I would eventually destroy his courage and self-assuredness. I have gone against advice about trying to get him to fit in more. Instead, I have let his creativeness flourish.

I regularly attend my PFLAG meetings and am often told what an amazing parent I am and how lucky my son is to have my husband and I as his parents. While I am flattered by their praise, I genuinely do not feel that I deserve any. I am only doing what I signed up for when I made the choice to become a parent—to love my children, unconditionally.

I have been told that my child is the first in his school's history to come out at such an early age. The truth is that there are many more children there who are gay and may not feel safe, comfortable or strong enough to come out. I remember my son telling me when he was five that he felt different. You cannot tell me that these kids don't know they are gay. They are just too afraid to talk about it.

Read more. Source: windycitymediagroup.com

Guess Who’s Gay event looks beyond common stereotypes

By asking random questions, students determined the sexual orientations of a group of people at the Sacramento State PRIDE Center's annual Guess Who's Gay event held Thursday in the University Union's Redwood Room.

"There are a lot of misconceptions and preconceived notions that people have of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and straight individuals," said junior public relations major Jackson Harris, programs and events coordinator of the PRIDE Center. "Guess Who's Gay shows that their sexual orientation has nothing to do with their interests, appearance or their mannerisms." ...

About 250 people, most of whom were students, filled the Redwood Room to watch the interactive show.

"The turnout was amazing. Last year we did this event and filled the Hinde Auditorium, which seats 180," Harris said. "This year we did this event, sat 180, but had to grab more chairs. We grabbed about 30 chairs and there were still 40 people standing after that, so we were thrilled with the turnout."

Junior biology major Georgina Rodriguez said she has attended the event several times because as a gay individual, she wanted to be more involved with the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Intersex, Queer, Questioning, Ally community.

"It's funny, it's very comfortable, very open, and it's just fun to come and hang out with this bunch of people," Rodriguez said. "You never expect the outcome of the people."

The second portion of Guess Who's Gay was for the crowd to determine by a show of hands whom it considered homosexual, heterosexual or bisexual among the panelists.

Pressnall-Duff said she participated in the event because she thought she could bring a good variety to the panel. A large majority of the audience guessed she was a lesbian before she declared being a bisexual.

"They assume one way, but they also don't assume the other," Pressnall-Duff said. "I don't believe in labels or stereotyping people into boxes."

Read more. Source: statehornet.com

Students hold a candlelight vigil.
Gay and gay-friendly students speak out
about climate at Montclair’s high schools

During the annual Montclair Cup, when the hockey teams for Montclair High School and The Montclair Kimberley Academy battle for supremacy, both sides’ fans employ decidedly anti-gay chants.

"MKGay, MKGay," MHS’s students yell, while their opponents respond with, "Brokeback Mounties, Brokeback Mounties," a reference to the 2005 gay-cowboy romance, "Brokeback Mountain."

Anti-gay chants at school sporting events are nothing new. Just last week in Ohio, dozens of high-school students were recorded chanting a gay slur at the opposing team. But the Montclair Cup chants illustrate how anti-gay sentiment can pervade schools even in liberal enclaves like Montclair.

Students who belong to the schools’ gay/straight alliances told The Times last week that openly gay students — and those perceived to be gay — are harassed less in Montclair schools than they would be elsewhere. Still, anti-gay bullying can get ugly, the students said.

Read more. Source: northjersey.com

October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month

GMDVP hosts annual Halloween event to shed light on domestic abuse in the LGBT community.

Boston -- October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month. The Gay Men’s Domestic Violence Project (GMDVP) is doing its part by hosting their annual Halloween Faces of Hope Masquerade Charity Gala to help raise awareness of this serious public health issue affecting the LGBT community. GMDVP provides crisis intervention, support, and resources to victims and survivors of domestic abuse. Funds raised from the Halloween Event will allow them to provide much-needed services to help victims obtain safety.

Assisting over 400 individuals per year, GMDVP is a national pioneer in expanding services to all victims of domestic abuse, regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. GMDVP was also the first organization to document the prevalence of domestic abuse in gay male relationships and show that it occurs at the same rate as it does in heterosexual relationships -- 1 in 4. Unfortunately, it’s still very much a hidden issue and LGBT victims are often denied services.

Recently, there have been serious cases of abuse against the LGBT community, from the dramatic increase in teen suicides because of anti-gay bullying, to the recent case of assault, battery and sodomy against 3 individuals in Brooklyn, NY by criminal gang. GMDVP works with the community to help prevent and reduce the impact of traumatic experiences inflicted against individuals.

While 1 in 4 gay men are directly affected by domestic violence, there are only five LGBT-specific beds for victims in Massachusetts, compared to several hundred beds for heterosexual female victims. Last year, GMDVP turned away 83 victims seeking shelter because they were at capacity in their 3-bedroom safe home. The Halloween Event will help increase GMDVP’s financial capacity to serve more victims.

Without support from the community many gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender victims are faced with the unfortunate choice of returning to their abusers or becoming homeless.

GMDVP’s 11th Annual Halloween Faces of Hope Masquerade is on Saturday, Oct. 30 at the House of Blues Foundation Room in Boston. Tickets are $75.00. For more information about GMDVP please visit www.GMDVP.org or call (617) 354-6056.

Source: baywindows.com

Number Of Anti-Gay Senators Doubles, HRC Survey Finds

The number of U.S. senators scoring zero percent support for the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender community doubled since the last Congress, an upcoming scorecard from the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) found.

HRC's Congressional Scorecard for the 111th Congress ranks 32 senators with zero percent support for gay rights, up from 16 in the last survey. House members ranked at zero percent support increased from 143 to 144.

“While advancements for equality were made this Congress, a strong and devoted group of anti-LGBT legislators continue to stymie the progress LGBT people deserve,” Joe Solmonese, president of HRC, said. “The fact that the first ever vote to repeal 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' in the House of Representatives was countered by a filibuster in the Senate illustrates the landscape.”

Read more. Source: ontopmag.com

Ghouls, Goblins, & Gays

Why The LGBT Community Has Taken Over Halloween

The bars and clubs are packed with costume contests and big name DJs. House party hosts battle it out year after year for whose party is the grandest. We overtake Midtown dressed in our scariest and most scandalous.

It’s what lesbian scholar and poet Judy Grahn once called “the great gay holiday.” Halloween. It’s a holiday the straight community celebrates too, but often with less fanfare than the LGBT community does. Most of them treat it primarily as a day for the children.

But we take it to another level, and it’s not difficult to see the reasons why.

Halloween is about transformation. It’s about stepping outside one’s comfort zone and expanding boundaries. About not being afraid to step into another world. Who has more experience in such things than gay people? We’re all veterans of the coming out process, some having less difficulty than others, but regardless we all know what it’s like to embrace a side that might not be considered “normal” in some social circles.

Read more. Source: fenuxe.com

Prince Poppycock to be Carnaval’s Honorary Mayor

West Hollywood -- Gearing up for Carnaval? Well, get this - Prince Poppycock will be crowned “Honorary Mayor” of the West Hollywood Halloween Carnaval when the festivities hit full stride on Sunday, October 31, 2010.

Prince Poppycock will be crowned “Honorary Mayor” of the West Hollywood Halloween Carnaval this year. His crowning takes place on the “Rocky Horror Picture” stage located at the intersection of Santa Monica Boulevard and San Vicente Boulevard at 10:25 pm.

Described by pop culture and style journalist Rose Apodaca as a rock star in Rococo France, Prince Poppycock’s glittering reign began in 2006 when singer-songwriter John Quale was invited to perform the Figaro aria Largo al Factotum, at a friend’s club.

However, there was one stipulation - he must wear a wig.

John appeared in a towering powdered confection to accompany the song about a fabulous hairdresser, and Prince Poppycock’s royal presence was instantly in demand.

Read more. Source: fenuxe.com

Johnny Weir talks figure skating, Halloween costumes, and just being himself

Can you be too gay for figure skating?  Seems impossible, like being too tall for basketball, or too white for journalism. But Johnny Weir—the American star with the spangliest costumes—managed it, at least according to some commentators (bad ones) at the Van City Olympics. Others (not bad ones) thought the remarks affected his performance. True, he placed sixth. And he won’t compete at all this year.

But Weir doesn’t give a flip of his quiff what you think: never mind “too gay,” he won’t declare himself queer at all, and instead says over and over that he just wants “to be me.” It’s because he’s so busy being, yeah, that. His eight-part show on the Sundance Channel, Be Good Johnny Weir, has been renewed for a second season (and may even come to Canada). He’s got a line of figure skating clothing, which he plans to extend to “real people” soon. He’s working on a book, a pop album, and a perfume. He’d like to act.

You don’t talk about your sexuality, but you are a role model for gay teens, or teens who don’t feel like everyone else, who are so-called freaks in their small town high schools. And as that role model, how do you feel about the recent persecution of, and the suicides of, gay teens?

I don’t feel myself as a preacher for anyone aside from people that feel a little bit different and feel unique and feel that they want to express themselves. I’m from a tiny, tiny village in the middle of Pennsylvania... that was literally 99.86 per cent Christian Caucasians. And Amish. To come from there, and be what I am today, it’s—it’s not an easy road. I’ve been bullied nearly every day of my life. Today, how many times was I called ma’am today? I think four times today. Or, you know, constantly being called “faggot” in school. It’s awful. But those things make you stronger. It’s so distressing to see what’s actually happening with these kids that feel so alone and so weak and it’s so sad and I mean, I can relate in a way that I’ve been bullied. I’ve never been hit or beat up. Friends of mine have—have been dragged behind trucks. I am aware of what’s going in the world. But suicide is never the answer. If you want to send a message, live. And live the way that you want to live. And let that be your statement to the world. You have to be strong. Suicide is an easy way out of a problem.

That’s why I’ve always taken a stance, saying, I don’t want to qualify myself as being different, because I’m the same as you. Let me live. Let me special. Let me be unique. And I’ll let you.

Read more. Source: eyeweekly.com

Poltergay — the movie about gay ghosts

I am a big fan of ghost stories and reality TV shows about ghost hunters, etc. And Halloween is one of my favorite holidays, if for no other reason than the fact that the TV channels are full of good, scary ghost stories all month long in October.

So many ghost stories are stories about star-crossed lovers who keep searching for one another, striving to be together, even after death. But I have never seen a story like that about same-sex ghost lovers. So just on a whim, I decided to see what would come up when I did an Internet search for “gay +ghost.” What did I find? A French movie called Poltergay.

I admit, when I first saw the title I figured it was a gay porn remake of Poltergeist (which by the way, is one of my favorite films. Poltergeist, I mean; not gay porn remakes). But then I read the description and watched the trailer, and I decided I really need to see this one!

Watch the trailer and read more. Source: dallasvoice.com

Paper taken to task over gay-marriage stance

The refusal by the state’s largest newspaper to run a wedding announcement from a gay couple has drawn the ire of one of New Hampshire’s Democratic congressmen, among others.

U.S. Rep. Paul Hodes issued a letter to the editor of the Manchester Union Leader Friday night, denouncing the paper’s refusal to print gay-marriage announcements.

Hodes called the newspaper’s policy to exclude gay marriage announcements from its Weddings, Births and Engagements section “reprehensible.”

The paper recently refused to print the wedding announcement of gay New Hampshire couple Greg Gould and Aurelio Tine, who will be married this weekend in Portsmouth.

Read more. Source: sentinelsource.com.com

Some 'Sesame Street' viewers sense a gay-friendly vibe

Sesame Workshop says it's not out to appeal to a gay audience but with such recent actions as a 'True Blood' parody, inviting openly gay guests like Wanda Sykes, and an interesting tweet by Bert, some are feeling the love.

Reporting from New York — Bert and Ernie are not gay. In their 31 years on "Sesame Street," they've never marched in a Pride parade or plastered a rainbow sticker on Oscar the Grouch's trash can. Sesame Workshop has always contended that they're just friends who happen to live together and sleep side by side in well-tailored pajamas.

And yet, because of a comment on "Sesame Street's" Twitter account, some are claiming that Bert is officially out of the closet.

On June 11, the mono-browed Muppet tweeted about the premiere of the recent "A-Team" remake. ( "Sesame Street" plans to air a parody of the movie in November.) "Ever notice how similar my hair is to Mr. T's?" Bert asked, name-checking the original "A-Team" star. "The only difference is mine is a little more 'mo,' a little less 'hawk.'"

Reading "mo" as slang for homosexual, gay bloggers rejoiced. To some, it seemed as if "Sesame Street" was aiming sly in-jokes directly at them, right under the noses of unsuspecting straight viewers. Ed Kennedy of the gay pop culture site AfterElton.com noted that the tweet came during a week when many cities were hosting Gay Pride celebrations. "The people at Sesame Street are way too clever for their own good," he wrote.

Now some people are wondering: Is "Sesame Street" brought to you by the letters G-A-Y?

Read more. Source: latimes.com.com

All About Beards: beards.org

"...the male beard communicates an heroic image of the independent, sturdy, and resourceful pioneer, ready, willing and able to do manly things."

This is beard-growing country. Now is the time.

Grow a beard. Do it now! Failed before? We'll help you succeed.

The purpose of this site is to increase awareness, appreciation, and understanding of the beard. The intended audience is anyone who has any interest in or curiosity about beards. It is also intended for anyone who has an opinion about beards, whether good, bad, or neutral. Whatever your opinion on beards, I hope a visit to these pages will improve it to some degree.

• View assorted beard styles: real-world examples from our gallery
• Appreciate beards! View an amazing variety of beards from around the world
• Featured beards: "must see" features on extraordinary beards
• Beards on the street: the beards of today, maybe from your neighborhood
• Beard success stories: see these, then grow a beard, too
• Participate in our beard survey for men

Read more. Source: beards.org

Men's Bags: Fall 2010

Whether you're a student, an office worker, a CEO, or you run your own business, it's hard to get by these days without a bag to carry around modern necessities such as laptops. Here we present a roundup of our men’s bag picks for next season.

Apart from backpacks -- which should only ever be seen in sporting contexts -- our selection includes messenger and duffel bags for casual days and briefcases for more professional contexts. We've also included a variety of price points and color schemes, so simply read on to find your standby men’s bag for Fall 2010

Read more. Source: askmen.com

Morris Museum adds a touch of Hollywood glam

New Jersey -- "Icons of Costumes: Hollywood's Golden Era and Beyond" — on loan from the James A. Michener Art Museum in Doylestown, Pa. — showcases the fashions of such movie greats as Monroe, Taylor, Dietrich, Ingrid Bergman, Greta Garbo, Betty Davis, Errol Flynn and James Dean. At the same time, there are costumes and accessories from more contemporary films, including the black leather jacket and pants Arnold Schwarzenegger wore in "Terminator 2: Judgment Day" (1991).

A companion exhibit, "Bonus Features: Hollywood Posters, Props and Personalities," which runs through Nov. 14, is drawn from the collection of Bergen County residents Michael and Sylvia Frodella. It includes a box of chocolates used in "Forrest Gump" (1994) and signed by Tom Hanks, Robert DeNiro's boxing gloves in "Raging Bull" (1980), plus costumes worn by Heath Ledger in "The Dark Knight" (2008), among other more recent movie memorabilia. There are movie contracts for Al Pacino and Tom Cruise, as well as posters and stills, accompanied by personal checks signed by Monroe, Dean and other actors.

Read more. Source: dailyrecord.com

Randy Quaid seeks refugee status in Canada

Oscar-nominated actor Randy Quaid, fearful of being murdered in Hollywood, is seeking refugee asylum in Canada with his wife.

The 60-year-old actor, featured in such movies as The Last Detail, Brokeback Mountain and National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, made his goal clear at an Immigration and Refugee Board hearing on Friday in which he said that he and his wife Evi Quaid want to start a new life in Canada.

During an emotionally charged hearing that came after they were arrested in Vancouver on outstanding warrants in California, Ms. Quaid said they were worried about friends “murdered” in Hollywood such as actors Keith Carradine – who is alive though she may have been referring to his deceased brother, David – and Heath Ledger, who starred in Brokeback Mountain, and Chris Penn. None of the actors deaths were ruled suspicious or homicides.

The couple has been dogged by legal troubles for skipping a court date in California over allegations of vandalizing a Santa Barbara home they formerly owned. They also have been charged for allegedly defrauded an innkeeper in Montecito, Calif.

After the couple was ordered released on $10,000 bond each, various reporting conditions and the promise to return for a further hearing next Thursday, Ms. Quaid told The Globe and Mail she and her husband sought to “find asylum from murderous rings in Hollywood” that consisted of lawyers.

At the time of that comment, she and her husband, who have been married for 20 years, were being handcuffed by security staff so they could be taken for processing and released.

Earlier, they released a handwritten statement to the media through their lawyer Brian Tsuji that read, “Yes we are requesting asylum from Hollywood Star Whackers. Evi and Randy Quaid.”

The Quaids did not offer any substantive basis for their concerns.

Read more. Source: theglobeandmail.com

Rainbow Art: Straight Rainbow

STRAIGHT Pride Rainbow T-Shirt

There’s no gray area with this greyscale black and white, “straight pride rainbow” t-shirt. If your sexuality is and has never been in question, you’re definitely going to want to show it to the world, on your chest, with a big black and white rainbow and the word “STRAIGHT” in all caps. Who needs members of the same sex when you’ve got straight desires to fulfill? Express your heterosexuality to the MAX with the grey rainbow shirt.

WARNING: Be prepared for general backlash as this blatant expression your sexuality may be attacked by the close-minded and ignorant.

Order yours today!    Source: tshirtdaily.com

TDS Goes Bi-monthly; Needs Recruits

Beginning in November, The Daily Sheet will be published twice monthly instead of once a week. Thank you for your patience and understanding. We hope you have a happy and safe Halloween weekend ~ see you on November 9th!

The Daily Sheet is looking for dedicated forum members to help create our Brokeback newsletter. If you would like to help out, and flex your editorial or formatting skills, please send a PM to gnash or killersmom.

Fun Question of the Week

This week's question:  What Hollywood film was the first to show a woman wearing only a slip and bra?

Last week's question and answer:  Who was the first guest star to appear on The Muppet Show? Extra points if you can tell us Miss Piggy's full name.

garyd answered and got it right with Miss Piggy Lee! He also says: "The Muppet Show was perhaps the favorite TV show in our house for a very long time.  So I went to the kids and Mrs. D and this is their take:

"Juliet Prowse was probably the first guest but Joel Gray may have been the first one to actually air.

"On the other hand, there is a contingent which insists that Mia Farrow was actually the first guest host as part of a pilot way back in somewhere around 1974."

Juliet Prowse was the first, but according to imdb.com, "Although the episode with Rita Moreno was the fifth episode produced, it was the first to air in most markets.  The first two episodes (featuring Juliet Prowse and Connie Stevens, respectively) were produced months before regular production began on the first season proper. They served as pilots to sell the series to TV stations."

There's also this tidbit: "Besides the theme song, very few songs were actually written for the show. They were taken from old comedy albums, vaudeville standards and British music hall routines."

The Cowboy Image

By huntinbuddy in Cowboy Up!

Quote of the Day

“There are nights when the wolves
are silent and only the moon howls.”

~ George Carlin ~

The Forum Image

Posted by Trigger Hippie in Life Through The Lens 5

Photo Caption of the Day

Posted by doodler in Photo Captioning Fun 6

Ennis : Damn, Jack, Aguirre's wedged under there good. Try backing up again.

Contributors: huntinbuddy, Trigger Hippie, doodler

Calendar of Events

Today's edition by gnash

The Daily Sheet Archives
... Kierkegaard