The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Diner - Volume 41  (Read 53334 times)

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
Re: The Diner - Volume 41
« Reply #10905 on: Yesterday at 08:21:36 PM »
Thanks Debs!

Offline dejavu

• may the snowy egret live
  • Obsessed
« Reply #10906 on: Yesterday at 08:45:16 PM »
Good night, Fritz, and anyone else around.

See you whenever.
Jack's from Texas.
Texans don't drink coffee?

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #10907 on: Yesterday at 08:49:56 PM »
sleep well, Debs!  Feel better!

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #10908 on: Yesterday at 08:55:01 PM »
G'nite Debbie! Sleep well!

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #10909 on: Yesterday at 10:08:04 PM »
Hiya Diners!

Linda's son, Jonathan, posted on Facebook that Linda came through surgery just fine and is in recovery.

Hello Chuck !

Thanks for passing on the good news !

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #10910 on: Yesterday at 10:45:50 PM »
Phong and I went to his workmate's wedding ceremony yesterday afternoon. K didn't introduce the bride to me. It was the most minimal ceremony. The celebrant read the monitum - the official definition of marriage and had each of them in turn repeat two words at a time their call for us present to witness that they took each other as their lawfully wedded wife/husband. They didn't use the opportunity to make their own personal vows. There was no ring ceremony, no flowers.They did dress up nicely. I felt the couple were treating it as a purely bureaucratic registration procedure, much like the unceremonious filling in and signing forms to legally register a marriage at a District Office in Thailand. The celebrant turned on a recording of the Pachelbel Canon at very low volume while the couple signed the Federal government Marriage Certificate and Phong and a relative (brother?) of the bride signed as witnesses. The celebrant sends the paperwork to the Victorian Births Deaths and Marriages office for it to post the state marriage registration certificate to them some time later. The only other person present was a Thai woman friend (of the bride?) in ripped jeans who wasn't introduced to me. I didn't have a chance to introduce myself to her. There were a few photos of the group taken on mobile phones in the ceremony room and in front of the facade of the building

There was a lunch with just the six of us in a large Thai restaurant in the basement of a hotel in one of the lanes of the city centre. The conversation was entirely in Thai. Although Phong was sitting next to the bride, I don't think she had a conversation with him. I asked Phong what the general conversation was about. He said it was about the visa, but he didn't take the opportunity to ask any questions and find out more about the couple's story. Otherwise they apparently just talked about food. There was no conversation with the bride and groom and me except when K shook hands and thanked me for coming when everybody left straight after the meal and the bride and the others just wai-ed, smiled and said Sawatdee, kap.

It was pouring rain when we left the restaurant.

We spent some hours today for Phong to write his statement on the Statutory Declaration in support of the bride's application for a marriage visa. He wrote what very little he knows and didn't make anything up. He had only the fact that K told him he loves her, that they live together and their appearance as reasons for feeling the relationship is genuine. He speculated that the bride's unforthcomingness is cultural and perhaps out of respect for him a an older man. He thinks that they think that paying the migration agent's $3000 fee will suffice for the visa to be granted. Who knows ?

t will take months after they submit the application.

Offline Elisiv05

• Obsessed
  • "Per sidera iuro."
« Reply #10911 on: Yesterday at 10:56:56 PM »
Oh, I never posted a pic of my apartment door, after I was finished with it on Saturday.

How welcoming! Is it common in US to decorate your house for Valentine's Day?
You know somebody name a Jack?

"Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always."

Offline Elisiv05

• Obsessed
  • "Per sidera iuro."
« Reply #10912 on: Yesterday at 10:59:36 PM »
Good morning Tony!

"Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always."

Offline Elisiv05

• Obsessed
  • "Per sidera iuro."
« Reply #10913 on: Yesterday at 11:08:50 PM »
Debbie, sorry to hear you' re still ill. I hope your cold is better today.  :)

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #10914 on: Today at 12:44:00 AM »
Hiya Diners!

Linda's son, Jonathan, posted on Facebook that Linda came through surgery just fine and is in recovery.

So glad.
“When we grow older still we’ll speak about those two young men as if they were two strangers..... And we’ll want to call it envy, because to call it regret would break our hearts.”

Call Me by Your Name, André Aciman.

Offline Elisiv05

• Obsessed
  • "Per sidera iuro."
« Reply #10915 on: Today at 01:34:58 AM »
Hello Sara! Yes, that' s good news. I hope you're doing fine too. I' m off for coffee break.