The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: TV Right Now: The Good, the Bad, and the Totally Sucky - Volume 2  (Read 472796 times)

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
Re: TV Right Now: The Good, the Bad, and the Totally Sucky - Volume 2
« Reply #6675 on: May 12, 2018, 04:21:53 PM »
Believe it or not, the fan sites say her given name on the show is Edit Marie Janko. ?? ?? And no, this is not a misspelling.

Also Jamie's full name is Jameson Reagan, which is what I thought he said when he made the engagement announcement.

All the other kids have middle names, but he doesn't.

We'll see if this ends up being a mistake
Nature has cunning ways of finding our weakest spot.
Call Me By Your Name

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #6676 on: May 12, 2018, 08:39:25 PM »
Believe it or not, the fan sites say her given name on the show is Edit Marie Janko. ?? ?? And no, this is not a misspelling.

Now that you mention it, I'm sure I've heard that. I just couldn't remember it. (That is, the "Edit" part. I don't remember the Marie.)

Also Jamie's full name is Jameson Reagan, which is what I thought he said when he made the engagement announcement.

I didn't quite catch that. I'm not sure if it's my hearing or his enunciation.  ;D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #6677 on: May 15, 2018, 07:51:04 AM »
Well, I see from my morning newspaper that the ax has begun to fall.

Fox has cancelled Lucifer. Actually, I had begun to think that maybe the show had run its course. I'm just a little annoyed that I missed all but the last 15 minutes of the final episode last night. (I was invited to dinner by friends, and I couldn't very well decline on the grounds of the season finale of a TV show.)

On the other hand, those last 15 minutes pretty much told me everything I really needed to know about the end of the season. 

Possible Spoiler Alert: At the same time, however, I suppose we will never know what happened now that Det. Chloe Decker has finally seen that Lucifer really is the Devil--and admitted to herself that she probably knew all along but was basically in denial.

My opinion: The cancellation is a good argument against the practice of ending a show's season with a cliffhanger. Granted, this one isn't "Who shot J.R.?" but it might have been nice to know where they would have gone with Chloe's new-found comprehension about Lucifer.

(I always wondered why the Devil had white wings. I thought black would have been more appropriate.)

I do still think Tom Ellis is sexy. I've never quite figured out why. He is fair enough. I do know I loved the way he delivered the snarky lines given to Lucifer.

Scorpion is gone, too. It wasn't unusual for me to skip an episode, but I liked the characters, and I find Elyes Gabel really cute.

I find this interesting: Elementary is now running in Scorpion's time slot. Reminds me of "the old days" when there actually were "summer replacement" shows.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 08:58:31 AM by Jeff Wrangler »

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6678 on: May 15, 2018, 10:31:40 AM »
I really don't understand how Elementary has lasted so long.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #6679 on: May 15, 2018, 10:45:46 AM »
I really don't understand how Elementary has lasted so long.

It went completely off my radar when it was moved to Sundays. I was surprised to find it in Scorpion's time slot.

I'm afraid last night I fell asleep and missed the ending  :D   but, assuming I can stay awake,  :D  I will watch because I like Jonny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu (especially Liu's Watson).

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #6680 on: May 15, 2018, 06:29:13 PM »
I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens going forward, but in this evening's episode of NCIS the young woman who was helping Ducky with his book and ended up helping Abby in the lab is working in Abby's lab.

And the NCIS season finale isn't until next week, that is, May 22.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 07:04:04 PM by Jeff Wrangler »

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6681 on: May 23, 2018, 10:31:54 AM »

THE MIDDLE ended it's 9 season run last night with two outstanding episodes. I don't know
anyone else who watched the series so I could never talk to anyone about it, so I was just
happy to watch it each week and be terrifically amused and often moved. "The Middle" refers
to a family living in fly-over country, "the middle" of the country, in this case Indiana. I had
to laugh when the series Roseanne returned this year with some reviewers saying that it
was good to have a series on the air that dealt with the problems of real people in this country
the networks often overlook. Well, there was The Middle right there for anyone to enjoy. I've
always thought if this series took place in a city or urban area it would've been as awarded as
Modern Family, say. It was just as good and sometimes better. (It premiered the exact same
night that Modern Family did, by the way.)

The show creators decided last year that this wold be the farewell season, saying: “Last year we
sat down with our cast and made the bittersweet decision together that in this ninth season it is
time to bring the Hecks’ story to a close. It’s been an amazing run, a once-in-a-lifetime experience,
and we’re looking forward to having an entire year to say goodbye. Plus, we wanted to go out before
too many people knew we were on the air.”    :laugh:

One of the character traits of the mother, mentioned on a few occasions, was that she loved all
things "Royal Family", so how fortuitous the recent nuptials happened so there was an episode
where the rest of the family, who were definitely not into it, gave her the Mother's Day gift of
spending the whole day with her and watching those festivities together.

I don't know if anyone here ever said they watched this series, either.  Maybe Mark, did.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #6682 on: May 23, 2018, 12:51:44 PM »
I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens going forward, but in this evening's episode of NCIS the young woman who was helping Ducky with his book and ended up helping Abby in the lab is working in Abby's lab.

She was in Abby's lab again in last night's episode, so I guess she's Abby's replacement.

The bad guy du jour in last night's episode was played by a guy who used to work in the lab on Bones.  :D

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6683 on: May 24, 2018, 11:51:59 AM »

Jeff, did you watch the two hours or episodes of L&O:SVU last night?

A friend of mine wanted me to come over and watch the whole evening of
Survivor with him, so I did that. So I'll watch L&O: SVU tonight, maybe.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #6684 on: May 24, 2018, 12:59:34 PM »
Jeff, did you watch the two hours or episodes of L&O:SVU last night?

Yes, I did. Interesting plot turn that I didn't see coming and won't spoil for you.

The new issue of TV Guide has a list of cancellations. So far I only had time to glance at it, but I remember noticing that Scorpion is gone, and also Superior Donuts. I'm sorry to see both go.

I wish some of these cancellations would teach producers or show-runners or whoever to stop ending seasons with cliff-hangers. Am I the only one who's annoyed when a show's season ends with a cliff-hanger--and then the show is cancelled?

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6685 on: May 24, 2018, 02:27:36 PM »
I wish some of these cancellations would teach producers or show-runners or whoever to stop ending seasons with cliff-hangers. Am I the only one who's annoyed when a show's season ends with a cliff-hanger--and then the show is cancelled?

Cancelled or not, I'm not a fan of cliff hangers.  When did they start this anyway?
Somehow I think the networks think those kinds of episodes get them better ratings
for sweeps months and will draw viewers back in the fall, but if you watch a show, you're
going to come back to it, regardless of a cliff-hanger, and I don't see why they'd draw any
new viewers to the episode. They're not going to think about watching something that won't
finish for months.

Also, I've never liked these cliff-hangers much for several reasons. One is that with so much
time elapsed before the next part, it's usually pretty anti-climactic by then. The second parts
never live up to the first part.  A big reason for that, to me, is that the first episode is at the
end of a season where you've made all these shows and you're on a roll. Several months later
they do the second part and often, if you notice, the actors look a bit different, they've been
on vacations, might have tans, it's a different vibe. I don't even think they've written the second
part until later on, either. And it always seems unsatisfying.  The X-Files had some of the very
best cliffhanger episodes ever, and I always thought the first episode of the next season, the
second part of those episodes were some of the worst. CSI's were also very disappointing.

These shows are like announcing the nominees for Best Actress are...and then coming back a
month later to tell you who won.

It is different for some shows that might get cancelled. In the case of Timeless, the series had
always been in danger of not being renewed. The creators said they were not going to proceed
with the 2nd season as though it could be canceled, though, and the finale was great, but if not
renewed it'll be tough to swallow. A show like that, though, is always up in the air with it's "what
will happen next," so each episode is pretty much a continuation. Those kinds of shows have somewhat
of a different problem. I do like it if a show gets picked up and the network might say it'll be the last
season. Then you don't have that problem.

Regardless, even if a series we like doesn't have a cliffhanger, we don't like it if it gets canceled anyway.
CW did the nicest thing last year, though. When Frequency was cancelled, they had a 15 minute wrap
up to the storyline on their website for fans who watched it. I appreciated that.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #6686 on: May 24, 2018, 02:32:18 PM »
Cancelled or not, I'm not a fan of cliff hangers.  When did they start this anyway?

I don't remember any from before "Who Shot J.R.?" but I'm not prepared to say that started the trend. I do remember that it was a Big Deal at the time.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #6687 on: May 24, 2018, 02:38:25 PM »
It is different for some shows that might get cancelled. In the case of Timeless, the series had
always been in danger of not being renewed. The creators said they were not going to proceed
with the 2nd season as though it could be canceled, though, and the finale was great, but if not
renewed it'll be tough to swallow. A show like that, though, is always up in the air with it's "what
will happen next," so each episode is pretty much a continuation. Those kinds of shows have somewhat
of a different problem. I do like it if a show gets picked up and the network might say it'll be the last
season. Then you don't have that problem.

I'll tell you--I hope a funny--little story about Timeless.

About a week ago, I watched the last episode of Moonlight on DVD. One of the performers in that last episode was Abigail Spencer. When I turned off the DVD player, the TV just happened to be tuned to Timeless--and there she was again, Abigail Spencer! She didn't seem to have aged much in 10 years.

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #6688 on: May 24, 2018, 06:30:39 PM »

From Wikipedia:
Cliffhangers were rare on American television before 1980, as television networks preferred the flexibility of airing episodes in any order. The phenomenal success of the 1980 "Who shot J.R.?" third season-ending cliffhanger of Dallas, and the "Who Done It" fourth-season episode that finally solved the mystery, contributed to the cliffhanger becoming a common storytelling device on television.[11] Another notable cliffhanger was the "Moldavian Massacre" on Dynasty in 1985, which fueled speculation throughout the summer months regarding who lived or died when almost all the characters attended a wedding in the country of Moldavia, only to have revolutionaries topple the government and machine-gun the entire wedding party.

The two main ways for cliffhangers to keep readers/viewers coming back is to either involve characters in a suspenseful, possibly life-threatening situation, or to feature a sudden shocking revelation. Cliffhangers are also used to leave open the possibility of a character being killed off due to the actor not continuing to play the role.

Cliffhangers are also sometimes deliberately inserted by writers who are uncertain whether a new series or season will be commissioned, in the hope that viewers will demand to know how the situation is resolved. Such was the case with the second season of Twin Peaks, which ended in a cliffhanger similar to the first season with a high degree of uncertainty about the fate of the protagonist, but the cliffhanger could not save the show from being canceled, resulting in the unresolved ending.
Call Me By Your Name

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #6689 on: May 24, 2018, 06:31:16 PM »
I don't remember any from before "Who Shot J.R.?" but I'm not prepared to say that started the trend. I do remember that it was a Big Deal at the time.

So you were right, Jeff.
Call Me By Your Name