The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: TV Right Now: The Good, the Bad, and the Totally Sucky - Volume 2  (Read 472800 times)

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
Re: TV Right Now: The Good, the Bad, and the Totally Sucky - Volume 2
« Reply #6705 on: June 15, 2018, 04:41:07 AM »
A reminder from our Bettermost friends... Man In An Orange Shirt (MIAOS) is airing in the US on PBS Sunday 17 June 18 at 21:00/09:00 PM.  Don't miss it. Great details.  Lots of homages to BBM which we discussed in several threads.  V.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6706 on: June 17, 2018, 03:25:47 PM »
Well, I see from my morning newspaper that the ax has begun to fall.

Fox has cancelled Lucifer.  [...] 

Jeff, I just read this week that NetFlix has picked it up for a 4th season!

In the meantime, a month ago NBC announced the fate of all their shows except this one.
They're leaving us all up in the air. What are they doing? Stop wasting time! Renew it already.
If they do not, it seems really cruel to keep everyone hanging on like this for weeks.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #6707 on: June 18, 2018, 07:42:24 AM »
Jeff, I just read this week that NetFlix has picked it up for a 4th season!

Thanks, Lyle. Interesting to know.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6708 on: June 22, 2018, 01:32:06 PM »

In the meantime, six weeks ago NBC announced the fate of all their shows except this one.
They're leaving us all up in the air. What are they doing? Stop wasting time! Renew it already.
If they do not, it seems really cruel to keep everyone hanging on like this for weeks.

Canceled today.

...every day a little sting
in the heart and in the head...

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #6709 on: June 23, 2018, 04:36:22 PM »
so sad.  I actually was a regular...though for many reasons.  :o  V.

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
  • ...suspended above ordinary affairs...
« Reply #6710 on: June 25, 2018, 11:35:47 AM »
Sling added a new channel, The Film Detective.  It shows movies & TV shows from the 1950s and 60s in categories like horror, mystery, family, martial arts, documentaries and more, including films like “Kansas City Confidential” and “Royal Wedding.”

This morning I saw an episode of Life with Elizabeth with Betty White.

Newlyweds Elizabeth and Alvin are enjoying settling into their new, ordinary life together, but keep inadvertently involving their friends and neighbours in their daily antics.
First episode date: October 7, 1953
Final episode date: September 1, 1955

There are also full shows on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7z0zAN_frw
“Leave the gun.  Take the cannoli.”

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #6711 on: June 25, 2018, 01:08:39 PM »
Sling added a new channel, The Film Detective.  It shows movies & TV shows from the 1950s and 60s in categories like horror, mystery, family, martial arts, documentaries and more, including films like “Kansas City Confidential” and “Royal Wedding.”

This morning I saw an episode of Life with Elizabeth with Betty White.

I've never heard of Sling. Do they show Pete and Gladys or December Bride?

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
« Reply #6712 on: June 25, 2018, 05:22:20 PM »
Sorry if this is TMI...Sling is basically streaming TV through a device, I use a Roku, and I love Sling.  I got it when the cable company (hereafter called "the devil") raised by monthly bill from $120 to $200.  I only get my internet from them now, no tv or phone. 

Basic Sling is $20 a month for about 30 channels.  You can add additional packages for $5/month.  I got Slign Blue for $25 and added Lifestyle Extra & Hollywood Extra.  My total bill including tax is $37.  And I can watch it on 3 devices, I have it on 2 TVs at home and on my Kindle Fire so I can listen at work.  You can add extras for news, sports, comedy, kids. 

Sling Orange: $20 per month. About 30 channels, including ESPN and Disney (but not Fox or NBC channels). Limited to one simultaneous stream at a time.

Sling Blue: $25 per month. About 45 channels, including Fox and NBC channels (but not ESPN or Disney channels). Up to three simultaneous streams.

Sling Orange + Blue: $40 per month. Includes all channels from both. Up to four simultaneous streams, but only one at a time of Orange channels.

Anyway, here's a list of what's on Film Detective, I didn't see the shows you asked about, but they say they're updating every month.
https://thefilmdetective.tv/video/?list=browse

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #6713 on: June 25, 2018, 06:11:57 PM »
Loving the F/X series, "Pose".

Set in the 1980s, Pose is a dance musical that explores the juxtaposition of several segments of life and society in New York: the ball culture world, the rise of the luxury Trump-era universe and the downtown social and literary scene.

Making television history, Pose features the largest cast of transgender actors in series regular roles, as well as the largest recurring cast of LGBTQ actors ever for a scripted series.  The transgender cast includes Mj Rodriguez, Dominique Jackson, Indya Moore, Hailie Sahar and Angelica Ross, who co-star alongside Evan Peters, Kate Mara, James Van Der Beek, Tony Award® winner Billy Porter, Charlayne Woodard, and newcomers Ryan Jamaal Swain, Dyllón Burnside and Angel Bismark Curiel.

Evan Peters and Kate Mara play New Jersey couple “Stan” and “Patty,” who get sucked into the glamour and intrigue of New York City in the 1980s, as epitomized by “Matt” (James Van Der Beek), Stan’s boss.   Mj Rodriguez stars as “Blanca,” who breaks from the House of Abundance and her former house mother “Elektra” (Dominique Jackson) to form her own “house,” a self-selected family that provides support to LGBTQ youth rejected by their birth families.  Indya Moore plays “Angel,” a streetwalker who develops feelings for her new client, Stan.  Ryan Jamaal Swain plays “Damon,” a dancer who joins Blanca’s house.  Together they compete in the Balls—where house members challenge each other in various categories and are judged on their outfits, attitude, or dance skills.  Under the watchful eye of “Pray Tell” (Billy Porter), Grandfather to all the children who compete in the house balls, Elektra’s House of Abundance and Blanca’s upstart House of Evangelista face off in what may develop into a legendary rivalry.

These are the episodes so far:

PILOT

In 1987 New York, Blanca Rodriguez leaves her house (House of Abundance) and pursues her dream of being a house mother and competing in the House Ballroom scene after a devastating medical diagnosis. She starts the House of Evangelista. Meanwhile, Damon Richards moves to New York after being thrown out by his parents for being gay.  He has aspirations of joining a dance company.

ACCESS

Blanca is denied access to a popular gay bar because she's a transgendered woman, leading to a purposeful feud. Meanwhile, inexperienced Damon learns the truth about love and sex when he is asked on a date.

GIVING AND RECEIVING

The House of Evangelista celebrates the holidays and prepares for the Snow Ball in spite of Angel's lack of holiday spirit. Elektra contemplates undergoing an affirming medical procedure.  Designer "Pray Tell" visits his boyfriend (who is suffering from AIDS) in the hospital.

THE FEVER

Candy's insecurities about her appearance are heightened when she is criticized at a ball. Blanca (who is HIV+ and hasn't told anyone) worries when Damon and Ricky have a medical scare that threatens to tear them apart, and reveal that they have not always practiced safe sex.

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
« Reply #6714 on: June 25, 2018, 06:34:36 PM »
oh, that sounds good!  I'm gonna see if I can get in on demand...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #6715 on: June 26, 2018, 07:14:29 AM »
Sorry if this is TMI.

Nah! Thanks for the explanation.  :)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6716 on: June 26, 2018, 11:08:15 AM »

Does anyone watch Real Time with Bill Maher?

It's on HBO, a pay channel, but you can usually find someone who's uploaded it onto youtube on Fri. - Sun. or so,
after each week's Friday night live program airs...before they get taken down.

A friend of mine who watches it has a couple months in the summer where he gets off early on Fridays, so we thought
we'd try to get tickets for a taping. They tape it at CBS Television City. After a few weeks I got a call yesterday from the
show and we are going this Friday. It's a LIVE show so it has to begin on time and such. We're to be there at 5:30 and
the show starts at 7pm / 10pm Eastern. I can't find out who the guests are this week, but we're going regardless.

Offline oilgun

• Obsessed
« Reply #6717 on: June 26, 2018, 04:57:51 PM »
Does anyone watch Real Time with Bill Maher?

It's on HBO, a pay channel, but you can usually find someone who's uploaded it onto youtube on Fri. - Sun. or so,
after each week's Friday night live program airs...before they get taken down.

A friend of mine who watches it has a couple months in the summer where he gets off early on Fridays, so we thought
we'd try to get tickets for a taping. They tape it at CBS Television City. After a few weeks I got a call yesterday from the
show and we are going this Friday. It's a LIVE show so it has to begin on time and such. We're to be there at 5:30 and
the show starts at 7pm / 10pm Eastern. I can't find out who the guests are this week, but we're going regardless.

I often watch clips of it on Youtube and enjoy them although his smirk can be a bit hard to take after a while. Enjoy the taping. The roundtable guests will be Ben Shapiro (eww!), Bradley Whitford, Lawrence Wilkerson, Jennifer Rubin & Michael Moore. Ben and Michael should liven things up.

http://www.real-time-with-bill-maher-blog.com/
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 09:57:46 PM by oilgun »
"Florence, this is a tough hurricane. One of the wettest we've ever seen from the standpoint of water." - Trump

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #6718 on: June 26, 2018, 07:10:12 PM »
Salvation began its second season last night. I'm not sure whether I'm going to stick with it. I'd watch its star, Santiago Cabrera, sit around and do nothing at all, but I'm finding the second plot, about a coup to take over the U.S. government, tiresome. The main plot, of course, is about an asteroid that's going to strike the earth and cause an extinction-level event.

The cast also includes the quite handsome Ian Anthony Dale, and young cutie Charlie Rowe, but, still, that coup plot is tiresome.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6719 on: June 30, 2018, 12:10:22 PM »
I often watch clips of it on Youtube and enjoy them although his smirk can be a bit hard to take after a while. Enjoy the taping. The roundtable guests will be Ben Shapiro (eww!), Bradley Whitford, Lawrence Wilkerson, Jennifer Rubin & Michael Moore. Ben and Michael should liven things up.

Hey, Gil, we enjoyed our evening out!  It was very therapeutic to laugh and vent with like minded people!
The show is off all of July. We're going to try for another one in August, but no guarantees. After all, we tried
last summer and didn't get in at all.

P.S.: Happy Canada Day to you tomorrow!

My friend Ken, originally from Canada, is having a little afternoon get together for Canada Day,
because he said he'd rather celebrate Canada this year than July 4th.  (Who can blame him?)

We're all supposed to wear red & white and "not be blue."