The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: TV Right Now: The Good, the Bad, and the Totally Sucky - Volume 2  (Read 472808 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
Re: TV Right Now: The Good, the Bad, and the Totally Sucky - Volume 2
« Reply #6735 on: September 24, 2018, 08:22:15 AM »
I expect I will have BBT on "in the background" tonight, but I probably won't pay close attention.

Actually, I've been that way for several years now--having shows on "in the background." It just seems that weekday evenings are too short, and there is way too much to accomplish in them, that I never seem to have time just to sit down and watch a show, even on Friday nights. I'm doing some writing now, and that seems more important to me even more than shows I've watched for years.

I like what I've seen being done with some shows these past few years: the week before the season premier, they run the last episode of the previous season. They did that with Blue Bloods this past Friday, but I didn't watch. I remember the most important thing that happened in the last episode of last season, something that makes me worry the show has "jumped the shark."

I gave up on Salvation this summer; I didn't watch the last two episodes. I was watching mainly for Santiago Cabrera anyway. I think if this had been done as a limited series/one season, sticking to the science fiction plot line of saving Earth from taking an extinction-level hit from an asteroid, it would have been a very good show. Instead they threw in a lot of political plotting clearly to stretch things out. I disliked that immensely.

I do look forward to the season premier of N.C.I.S. Love Mark Harmon! (And Wilmer Valderama, if he's still in the cast, is pretty easy on my eyes.)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6736 on: September 24, 2018, 02:42:48 PM »

No wonder ratings are down across the board!

I hear what a lot of you are saying and agree more or less.

THe first season of 9-1-1 that appeared in January was unexpectedly entertaining and I watched the
first of the two-part premiere las tnight to see if they could keep it up. An earthquake is happening on
tonight's episode!  I'll probably stick with shows I have been watching previously, but I can't say the
same for any new ones.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #6737 on: September 24, 2018, 04:04:28 PM »
THe first season of 9-1-1 that appeared in January was unexpectedly entertaining and I watched the
first of the two-part premiere last night to see if they could keep it up. An earthquake is happening on
tonight's episode!  I'll probably stick with shows I have been watching previously, but I can't say the
same for any new ones.

Phooey. I missed that. I enjoyed the few episodes I saw earlier this year.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #6738 on: September 25, 2018, 07:48:58 AM »
Did anybody check out the reboot of Magnum, P.I.? I did not. I switched to 9-1-1, and I think I will stay with 9-1-1.

I'm sorry. There is only one Thomas Magnum, and that's Tom Selleck.

Ryan Guzman of 9-1-1 is a hottie. Jay Hernandez, the new Magnum, does nothing for me (sorry, Jay).

Perdita Weeks, who plays "Juliet Higgins" in the Magnum reboot, looked familiar (I'd seen her in commercials promoting the show). Now I know why. I checked her IMDb entry this morning and discovered that she played a female assassin (who used a crossbow!) in one of my favorite episodes of The Musketeers.

It is kind of a neat idea to make Higgins a woman, even though nobody can replace John Hillerman. And I'd bet that eventually they'll go the "will they or won't they" route.

Offline BlueAmber63

• Striped socks and dusty shoes
  • Obsessed
« Reply #6739 on: September 26, 2018, 03:09:55 PM »
I have got wrapped up in the series "Trust"...about the Getty family. Mostly about
young Paul Getty and his kidnap.

But all I can think is ....how well Heath Ledger would have fitted playing that part.
The guy who plays him Harris Dickinson looks very similar to Heath in his "10 Things I Hate About You".

Donald Sutherland plays Paul Getty Snr. which he does brilliantly.

Oh! I'm so glad I'm not rich. It seems to make you very bitter and twisted !!

https://www.gettyimages.fi/detail/news-photo/harris-dickinson-interprets-young-paul-getty-in-civita-news-photo/846327080

ps. Is it ok for me to use this image link ?? Not sure with all that info attached to it
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 03:23:00 PM by BlueAmber63 »
Wanting him to come back... before anyone notices
part of the world has not moved...since he left.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6740 on: September 26, 2018, 03:35:57 PM »

I'm not an expert, but I believe linking to the page is fine.
Getty Images is one of the biggest sticklers for keeping their photos practically to themselves.though.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #6741 on: September 26, 2018, 06:03:33 PM »
Lyle, what did you think of the 9-1-1 episode?

Offline oilgun

• Obsessed
« Reply #6742 on: September 26, 2018, 06:17:51 PM »
I'm looking forward to the Murphy Brown reboot. It starts tomorrow. The reviews have been lukewarm however. I missed the premier of the Magnum P.I. reboot with Jay Hernandez. Did anyone watch it?
"Florence, this is a tough hurricane. One of the wettest we've ever seen from the standpoint of water." - Trump

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #6743 on: September 27, 2018, 07:50:21 AM »
I'm looking forward to the Murphy Brown reboot. It starts tomorrow. The reviews have been lukewarm however. I missed the premier of the Magnum P.I. reboot with Jay Hernandez. Did anyone watch it?

For reasons I won't go in to, I missed the original Murphy Brown. I'm looking forward to this one because I love Candice Bergen. On the other hand, you can't go home again. ...

I won't touch the Magnum, P.I., but I'd still be interested in what anyone else who did watch it thinks.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6744 on: September 27, 2018, 09:43:33 AM »

Jeff, I liked the first two 9-1-1 episodes of the season, the show is just very entertaining.
It's not your typical show of this type, it aims a little to the bizarre and or absurd and that's
what gives it a fresh approach. It doesn't take itself as seriously as a lot these type of shows
do, so it's more fun to watch.  Also, the episodes move, they have a great forward momentum
and that's even more important nowadays when so many commercials interrupt episodes.

When it premiered last January I wasn't even that interested in trying it out!

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6745 on: September 27, 2018, 09:48:47 AM »

I tried the new FBI show on Tuesday. Largely because Dick Wolf of all those Law & Order
shows created it. The first episode was good enough, so I'll watch it again next week. The
stars of the show didn't really hook me in any way yet, but the story was solid and it's a
show that's mostly going to stick with stand alone episodes, which I appreciate.

I wonder why NBC didn't pick up a Dick Wolf show?  Seems bizarre. His Law & Order: SVU
starts tonight in it's new time period, though they are apparently showing two episodes to
begin with...I don't know if it's a two part story or two separate episodes.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #6746 on: September 27, 2018, 11:38:20 AM »
I tried the new FBI show on Tuesday. Largely because Dick Wolf of all those Law & Order
shows created it. The first episode was good enough, so I'll watch it again next week. The
stars of the show didn't really hook me in any way yet, but the story was solid and it's a
show that's mostly going to stick with stand alone episodes, which I appreciate.

I wonder why NBC didn't pick up a Dick Wolf show?  Seems bizarre. His Law & Order: SVU
starts tonight
in it's new time period, though they are apparently showing two episodes to
begin with...I don't know if it's a two part story or two separate episodes.

Whatever they're doing, I'll miss the first hour, because I won't miss Mom, and I don't want to miss Murphy Brown.

I think it's interesting that for all intents and purposes, Anna Faris' character is no longer a mom. I've understood the original premise was that Anna Faris was a mom, Alison Janney was her mom, and Anna's character had a daughter who was pregnant and was going to become a mom. The daughter gave the baby up for adoption and then was basically written out of the show, and the son was sent to live with his dad and the dad's new wife, so he's gone, too. The opening sequence used to end with a photo of Alison, Anna, and the two kids. Now IIRC from last season, the photo is of Alison and Anna only.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #6747 on: September 27, 2018, 11:40:31 AM »
Jeff, I liked the first two 9-1-1 episodes of the season, the show is just very entertaining.
It's not your typical show of this type, it aims a little to the bizarre and or absurd and that's
what gives it a fresh approach. It doesn't take itself as seriously as a lot these type of shows
do, so it's more fun to watch.  Also, the episodes move, they have a great forward momentum
and that's even more important nowadays when so many commercials interrupt episodes.

When it premiered last January I wasn't even that interested in trying it out!

And have I mentioned that I think Ryan Guzman is a hottie?  :D

Actually, I enjoyed the show, too.  I will be missing some episodes because two Monday evenings a month I have something to do.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6748 on: September 27, 2018, 01:08:43 PM »
And have I mentioned that I think Ryan Guzman is a hottie?  :D

Actually, I enjoyed the show, too.  I will be missing some episodes because two Monday evenings a month I have something to do.

Ryan Guzman is indeed.  The new guy!

Keep track of the episodes you miss for reruns.
Unless you can watch them online.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #6749 on: September 27, 2018, 01:50:35 PM »
Ryan Guzman is indeed.  The new guy!

Always nice when somebody agrees with me.  :)  I didn't watch enough last season to know he's new.

Keep track of the episodes you miss for reruns.

Good idea. Thanks.  :)