The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: TV Right Now: The Good, the Bad, and the Totally Sucky - Volume 2  (Read 494394 times)

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
Re: TV Right Now: The Good, the Bad, and the Totally Sucky - Volume 2
« Reply #7035 on: May 18, 2019, 08:01:50 AM »
Is SVU finally over? I mean final season ever? LORD!! That has been on a long time..20 years!? .. I have to say, in all honesty, something changed after Chris Meloni left the series. I watched it all the time before he left, after, not so much........and hardly ever for several seasons now, I just wonder what happened to the child that Benson had at one time? I also loved it when BD Wong was on the show, hated him leaving the series too. But I wasn't watching it all that much then.......

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #7036 on: May 18, 2019, 08:53:04 AM »
^^  I enjoyed this season finale SVU .. I don't think it's a series finale.  Yes, it's been on so long that it's one show I watch for hell of it. Sort of a slow-drip brain food.   This episode was not great and I think the ending, well could have been done better. 

Spoilers on:

What's with it ADA's on this show?  Invariably they get so fed up with the justice system that they just cannot take it anymore or their contracts just run out?  Winchester, who's played ADA Stone since 2016 has done a good job with the screen time he's had.  I liked him a lot better than some of the others.

FWIW -->  https://ew.com/tv/law-order-svu-adas/

Spoilers off:
V.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #7037 on: May 18, 2019, 09:41:11 AM »

NBC has been running ads the last few weeks touting Law & Order: SVU returning next year for
a historic 21st season, which makes it the longest running television series ever, beating out
Gunsmoke and Law & Order which went twenty seasons each.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #7038 on: May 18, 2019, 09:41:22 AM »
Lyle, did you catch the season finale of L&O: SVU?

Of course I have my opinions, but I won't write about them until I know if you've seen it. I don't want to spoil anything.

I watched it tonight.
You go first!

I've thought the whole Rob Miller plot line was poorly done from the get-go, not worthy of SVU. That final episode took the cake. First of all, they said the murder victim didn't drown (no water in her lungs), and that the body had been thrown from a plane or a helicopter. And they never tried to follow up on finding the aircraft (and maybe who did the flying, and who dumped the body)? Come on; these people are better detectives than that! And the murder conviction would not be the end of the story because of course a character like Miller would appeal and would probably get out on bail until the appeal!

I found the plot to set up Miller confusing, but I presume that's just me.

^^  I enjoyed this season finale SVU .. I don't think it's a series finale.

No, it isn't. I'm sure of it. 

Spoilers on:

What's with it ADA's on this show?  Invariably they get so fed up with the justice system that they just cannot take it anymore or their contracts just run out?  Winchester, who's played ADA Stone since 2016 has done a good job with the screen time he's had.  I liked him a lot better than some of the others.

FWIW -->  https://ew.com/tv/law-order-svu-adas/

Spoilers off:
V.

You could as well say that about the detectives. There's nobody left from the beginning except Benson and Tutuola. I didn't watch it the first season or two, so I'm assuming here that Finn's been around from the beginning, but if he hasn't been, then the only one is Benson.

The same deal holds with N.C.I.S., I think: no one left from the beginning except Mark Harmon.

But after watching these two shows for well over a decade now, I've developed a theory: One reason these shows have kept going is because of the turnover in cast/characters; every couple of seasons or so, there's someone new. One character (the star), is the anchor of the show, around whom everyone else comes and goes.

(I didn't realize it had been that long already since Philip Winchester joined S.V.U. as the ADA. So now he's gone just when I was beginning to warm to the character.)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #7039 on: May 18, 2019, 09:44:21 AM »
I watched the final two episodes last night. THe finale was quite good, mixing real laughs with sentiment and also
made it seem like an ending.

I thought everything was well done, too.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #7040 on: May 18, 2019, 10:05:11 AM »
I agree with you, Jeff, the story arc with that guy was poorly handled from the start.
It must've been envisioned as a longer storyline, rather than two intense episodes,
plus the teaser scenes last week, because it never seemed to play out in a totally
believable manner.

Also, the last I-don't-know-how-many-seasons this series has had cliffhanger finales.
Now, like you said, this guy could pop out of prison on a technicality or something again
next season, but they definitely didn't end the series in cliffhanger mode this year.

I'm not sure when I started watching the series, Meloni was on it at the time, but I've
kept my interest still when he left and different cast changes occur. I would say that
sometimes when a new cast member arrives that you don't like that much, I kinda let
it go because you have an idea they'll be leaving again. You're not stuck with the same
people over and over.

CSI kept having cast changes quite a bit during its 15 year run and ended up with the two
lead CSI's being totally different people and it was just as compelling right up to it's two-hour
movie send-off that CBS gave it.

With shows like CSI and L&O:SVU, it's the interesting stories that I would guess keep people
(many/most people) coming back to them, rather than the individual characters dealing with
said stories, perhaps.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #7041 on: May 18, 2019, 10:34:54 AM »
I thought everything was well done, too.

I like that they didn't tie EVERYTHING up with a bow. They left a few things for us to ponder and made it more of a "life will move on" feeling than an ending ending, if that makes sense.

SPOILERS:
For instance, they "started" a storyline with Leonard and Penny announcing a pregnancy and those two starting a family. Raj was not hooked up with anyone, we have the sense he'll keep on dating and still not finding a satisfying relationship with anyone as far as we know. And Sheldon had a life changing realization about himself in relation to others and his goals and maybe he'll grow from that.

Because of all those things it was quite a satisfying finale. They actually made it seem like an ending, but yet not an ending all at the same time. All these things in it could be played out in another season which, I feel, gave their audience things they could still discuss and wonder about still.

I can't imagine what it was like for these young actors to get on a show 12 years ago and then watch it burst into a 12 year run, the longest running sitcom in history. (Modern Family will have one more season next year, it's 11th, which ties Cheers and Frasier.) The actress who plays Penny was 21 years old when she was cast! (And really, now she's only 33!) By the way, when the cast was all on Colbert Thursday night they asked them some questions that were submitted by people online. One of them was, before she married Leonard, what was her last name. She was never given one, was the answer. Which seems odd, when you think about it.

Anyway...

One reason I will miss this show is that it's one of the few 3 camera sitcoms left that actually was written in the two act formula with plot set ups in the first act and payoffs in the second, like most all sitcoms were, up until commercial interruptions became more and more frequent. This show had the same amount of them, but after the first act, around 8-10 minutes, they actually would have a long 4 1/2 - 5 minute commercial break in there, which I found preferable to the seemingly constant stop and start of 3-4 mins. then commercials routine.

Did you know that many network sitcoms now, without commercials, run only 20-21 minutes. Crazy. At one time in the 1950's and 60's they all ran as long as 26:30.  Of course, over time, the 1 minute (give or take) theme song and one minute end credits were eliminated (the end credits being run over the plot time now). So that's one way they kept the content. (Hour shows ran 51-52 minutes. Now they're 44 minutes.)

Sorry, I got in rambling mode!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #7042 on: May 18, 2019, 02:13:23 PM »
I'm not going to miss BBT.

Sheldon had grown tiresome to me, and Howard always worked my last nerve. This is not to say I don't think the actors did good work; they did. I just never liked Howard, and I'd grown sick and tired of Sheldon's childish immaturity. He stopped being funny to me ages ago.

I remember when the show began. I watched an episode or two, didn't like it, and didn't go back. I think I must have started "watching" (I use the term loosely) because I turned on the TV because it preceded something I did want to watch--except that now I can't remember what that might have been.

They did have some amazing guest stars over the years--when they were discussed, I was surprised they didn't mention Will Wheaton, who was in one of the clips.

I liked poor Raj. Some years ago I convinced myself that he's actually gay, and someday he would figure that out, but, of course, they never went that way.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #7043 on: May 18, 2019, 03:00:39 PM »
^^^

They did hint at that several times, though.
_______

In real life he (Kunal Nayyar) married Miss India, 2006 winner, Neha Kapur in December, 2011. They live in Los Angeles.

One of the most amusing lines on Big Bang Theory with Stuart and Raj:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxHGA0OB7uY
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 03:22:23 PM by Lyle (Mooska) »

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #7044 on: May 19, 2019, 01:15:18 PM »
^^^

Before I write my post, I watched that clip again I linked above.
LOL, it so makes me laugh.   :P

Is anyone watching Fosse/Verdon?  Michelle Williams is so good in this. All my friends watching it agree.  I believe I'm caught up and there are two episodes remaining.

Watching this also makes me want to watch all of Fosse's work again like Damn Yankees, Sweet Charity (coming out on blu-ray in 4k soon!), Cabaret, Lenny...and he brought Chicago to life.

This series also shows how much women (Verdon) do behind the scenes, behind men, and get very little credit for it.

Something I didn't know about Gwen Verdon was that she was born in Culver City! Her father was an MGM studio technician!

She wasn't in that many films, but her most recognized one, besides Damn Yankees, might be Cocoon. She also had small roles in The Cotton Club, Nadine (I believe Jeff Bridges was in that one), the badly reviewed Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and Marvin's Room, which starred Leonardo DiCaprio.

She had featured roles on quite a few TV series, most of which I confess weren't ones I watched, including a couple of Walker, Texas Rangers, Touched by an Angel, Dream On, Alice, Dear John, 3 episodes of Webster and 5 episodes of Magnum, P.I., Hotel, Trapper John, M.D., Fame, M*A*S*H and Love, American Style.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #7045 on: May 19, 2019, 01:19:42 PM »
^^^

ONE OF MY GREATEST REGRETS: Not only do I like baseball, but I love the musical and the movie version of Damn Yankees. On July 15, 1994, AMPAS had one of their Gold Standard Screenings and it was of this film. As an L.A. Times newspaper excerpt said that I found online just now: Tab Hunter, Gwen Verdon and Jean Stapleton will appear at the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences on July 15 prior to the screening of the film at 7:30 p.m. The film's original trailer and footage of the original stage version will be shown with a three-strip Technicolor print of "Damn Yankees."   [In my memory, Ray Walston was supposed to be there, too. Maybe not?]

One problem is that I didn't know about this ahead of time and so couldn't try for tickets in advance. AMPAS has a system, though, where you can line up beforehand to get standby tickets and there's usually quite a few. So, on this hot July day I got in line early and there were already many people there. I was about 15-20th in line.  The Academy person out front to answer questions and such, I heard answer over and over again, people who asked "What's the chances of getting in?" He was emphatic that usually they'll let in 30 people or more and so if you were in the front you'd be pretty much guaranteed to get in. So, I was going to get in to my mind. As the sun went down, it got cold and windy for a July night and I was pretty uncomfortable, not having brought any kind of wrap. And waiting in line by yourself is not optimal...no one to talk to or keep your place in line if you want to just go anywhere for a bit. It got later and later and quite close to when it was to begin and still they hadn't let anyone in this line in. (Unusual.) At some point the AMPAS person out front had to tell us all who had been waiting for over two hours that no more people were going to be let in. Not only did they not let 30 or more of this line inside, they didn't let ANYONE in.

A SIDEBAR to this story: Close to the start time of the event, a paramedic truck pulled up in front of the theater and got out and brought out a stretcher, went inside and a few moments later brought out someone from inside; they'd put some kind of breathing apparatus over their head etc. The stretcher was on the sidewalk near the front of the line I was in. BLACK HUMOR: Someone from
behind me yelled out: "Can I have her ticket?" The stretcher was put inside the the truck/van and whisked away. This happened shortly before we got the bad news.

So I felt kinda mad, and cold and hugely disappointed. I was angry for having three hours of time wasted. Ugh. Then I had to wait again for a long period for buses to get back home. It was such a frustrating evening. I was in such a foul mood.

It was that same year I got to see a touring production (Jerry Lewis was in it) of the musical at the Pantages. I went twice. I had seen Jean Stapleton before at a taping of All in the Family. A few years later because of my work I got to meet Tab Hunter. Never did get to see Gwen Verdon in person, though.   :(

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #7046 on: May 19, 2019, 08:16:41 PM »
Yes, LYLE!! I'm recording Fosse/Verdon every week and have caught all the episodes. I still don't like the jumping back and forth in time, it's a distraction to the story for me! I will agree though, Michelle is doing a great job with the role. But since I knew virtually NOTHING about Fosse or Verdon, I don't have any idea if the portrayals are spot-on or not. Interesting series, for sure, and the critics were right, you needed to STAY with it past the first 2 or 3 episodes to get into the storyline, it was all the jumping around in time thing......I'm sure some people tuned out after trying to follow the timeline at first. Which is sad, cause it's going GREAT for me now......... ;D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #7047 on: May 21, 2019, 07:22:26 AM »
My plan is to check out Blood and Treasure tonight. I wouldn't be especially interested, but I remember Matt Barr from Sleepy Hollow, and I, er, liked him then.

I haven't seen him since Sleepy Hollow. I just now learned that he was also in Valor.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #7048 on: May 21, 2019, 01:34:12 PM »
My plan is to check out Blood and Treasure tonight. I wouldn't be especially interested, but I remember Matt Barr from Sleepy Hollow, and I, er, liked him then.
I haven't seen him since Sleepy Hollow. I just now learned that he was also in Valor.

Another actress on Blood and Treasure was also in Sleepy Hollow: Katia Winter.

The previews I've been seeing for this show have been starting to grow on me.
I might also give it a shot tonight, although I just learned it is going to be a two hour premiere.

The first episodes are intriguingly called The Curse of Cleopatra, Part 1 & 2.

I am not a big fan of shows that premiere as a two hour story. Because those are usually written
differently than a regular episode will be like.  I'm more open if they show two episodes in a premiere. 

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #7049 on: May 21, 2019, 01:38:51 PM »
I was surprised they didn't mention Will Wheaton, who was in one of the clips.

I noticed this video today, which was posted sometime after the 12th episode of BB this season.

Why The Big Bang Theory Said Goodbye to Wil Wheaton
(they mean after this season's 12th episode)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGEjg2xcM1k