The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: TV Right Now: The Good, the Bad, and the Totally Sucky - Volume 2  (Read 472798 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
Re: TV Right Now: The Good, the Bad, and the Totally Sucky - Volume 2
« Reply #7125 on: June 21, 2019, 11:41:43 AM »
I think of it as celebrating a certain heritage and culture. (And being free to be yourself, of course.) West Hollywood has a program, this year it's from May 22 - June 30, called One City, One Pride: 40 Days of LGBTQ Arts.  There are presentations of Theatre, Poetry, Dance, Art Exhibitions, History exhibits, Concerts, Lectures and all sorts of other things, ranging from the City Library's "Drag Queen Story Hour," to a new documentary film being presented for the first time titled "L.A.: A Queer History," which I will be attending next Wednesday. It's not quite finished as it says "near complete," billed as "a film showcasing the LGBTQ history of Los Angeles."  (Did you know, for example, Los Angeles is the first city in the nation to have an approved authorized permit for a Gay Pride Parade in 1970? (There was a plaque installed at the corner of Hollywood Blvd. (& Ivar, I believe) where this parade originated and there is video footage of this first parade that I'm sure must be in the film. Or that on New Year's Eve 1967 there was a riot at the Black Cat bar in Silverlake when police tried to stop people from kissing and were arresting them. Protests and marches followed. This was before Stonewall happened.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbara_Gittings

Lyle, do you know Barbara Gittings (not personally, of course)? Around here we set great store by her leading the Annual Reminder picketing in front of Independence Hall on the Fourth of July beginning in 1965.

Their does seem to be an overarching idea that everything needs to be represented when there's a group of people together and it often comes across as obvious instead of organic, but since most of my life watching TV I've never regularly seen LGBT couples together in commercials or programs, it pleases me rather than annoys.

I like your choice of words, "It often comes across as obvious instead of organic." I'll grant that it can be seen as progress to see gay people featured in commercials (even commercials that feature family gatherings--"Uncle Mike brings his husband Steve to Christmas dinner"), but my reaction is, Oh, great, we're being used to sell stuff. Like I said, sourpuss. ... (At least I admit it.)

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #7126 on: June 21, 2019, 01:17:36 PM »
Yes, this week it was because they only got ONE of the boats instead of two and had to travel back around in a circle.

They've been undone by rushing too fast or just making a mistake and instead of correcting it, going on with it. But they're still there!
In an interview segment near the beginning of the episode, I believe it was Jamal who said, "When we're at the top of our game no one
can beat us, but we haven't been at the top of our game the last eight or nine legs."  LOL!

I hope not!  You never know, though, what can slow down a team. One finale in Los Angeles, a team just got the worst cab driver and that did them in. I happened to read a blurb about next week's finale episode and it said what city it's in. I can tell you if you want to know. I don't usually read things like that. (One friend of mine doesn't even like to see the next week's preview.)

The one team I have never been able to make a connection with Colin and Christi will probably be the one to take it. They are just too hokey for me.

I would really love it if Tyler and Korey make it, but I follow Tyler on FB and the other sites and it just doesn't seem as if they won.

Tyler does have a steady boyfriend now, which I am glad about. I know a lot of people have commented on Tyler's physical changes. One of the things he vowed to do last year was go to the gym regularly and get more physically fit, which he has more than accomplished . Even Phil commented on it in the first episode.
Nature has cunning ways of finding our weakest spot.
Call Me By Your Name

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #7127 on: June 21, 2019, 03:10:07 PM »
I would really love it if Tyler and Korey make it, but I follow Tyler on FB and the other sites and it just doesn't seem as if they won.

I was going to ask if you had any hints while following them.

Maybe if you win you have to sign something that if it gets out who won, you don't receive the prize! Heh!

Whoever won, they know it, unlike Survivor, and they've known it for a year. Can you imagine knowing
you won the prize, but can't do anything about it for a whole year?  You couldn't even act like you did by
using your credit cards because you know you won, or buy something extravagant, or even make plans
because there are those who try to find out such things.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #7128 on: June 21, 2019, 03:11:25 PM »

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #7129 on: June 21, 2019, 03:16:04 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbara_Gittings

Do you know Barbara Gittings?

Thanks for the link, Jeff.  No, her name wasn't familiar to me so thanks for letting me know about her. I was familiar with the name Frank Kameny that was mentioned with whom she worked with on some of her actions. So many have spent much of their lives trying to accomplish things we now take for granted.

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #7130 on: June 21, 2019, 05:30:25 PM »
I was going to ask if you had any hints while following them.

Maybe if you win you have to sign something that if it gets out who won, you don't receive the prize! Heh!

Whoever won, they know it, unlike Survivor, and they've known it for a year. Can you imagine knowing
you won the prize, but can't do anything about it for a whole year?  You couldn't even act like you did by
using your credit cards because you know you won, or buy something extravagant, or even make plans
because there are those who try to find out such things.

I never knew that about Survivor. That's terrible.
Call Me By Your Name

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #7131 on: June 22, 2019, 09:26:00 AM »
Thanks for the link, Jeff.  No, her name wasn't familiar to me so thanks for letting me know about her. I was familiar with the name Frank Kameny that was mentioned with whom she worked with on some of her actions. So many have spent much of their lives trying to accomplish things we now take for granted.

I never met her, but clearly Barbara Gittings was an amazing and very brave person.

We have a section of street here in our Gayborhood that has been named Barbara Gittings Way in her honor.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #7132 on: June 22, 2019, 11:15:36 AM »
I never knew that about Survivor. That's terrible.

I was wondering which is worse...

If you're an Amazing Race contestant, at the end of filming everyone knows who won. But, none of the people are allowed to tell anyone about that until the show airs. That has been anywhere from 5 months to, in this case, over a year ago! SO, if you won you have to keep it to yourself and not disclose it to anyone all that time. I'd be calling up my race partner to talk about it!

If you're a Survivor contestant, in the last episode there are, depending on the season, two or three people left who could win. Everyone votes and the winner is declared months, or in a couple cases, over a year later. So three people might be winners of the million dollars, but they have to wait to find out all that time. Worth it for the winner but the others? What a disappointment to go through.

I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing these reality show people must have some non-disclosure rules they sign and penalties if they reveal something.

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #7133 on: June 22, 2019, 02:51:54 PM »
I would assume so. I'm not sure I'd have the intestinal fortitude to take part in these shows even if I was younger and in good health. It just doesn't seem worth it.
Call Me By Your Name

Offline gwyllion

• Backpacker
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • burbubg passion!
    • AO3
« Reply #7134 on: June 25, 2019, 04:33:33 AM »
Speaking of...

--Amazing Race

Last night's episode was quite good.

I'd rather Colin & Christie were eliminated than Becca & Floyd, but they made a big mistake.
Becca's claws came out: "You realize I want to smash this in your face fight now?"
When they didn't check the eggs I wondered if that might be trouble.

Also, in the beginning of the episode I wondered when Tyler & Korey said, "You have $88 for this leg of the race," if that was going to signal a problem because 1.) They haven't been saying that this season when they leave a pit stop and running out of money can be problematic,or has been in the past, and 2.) Because later they talked about their taxi driver going a long way and cheating them.

Jamal & Leo U-Turned Victor and Nicole because they didn't like their names being brought up previously, but Leo & Jamal weren't U-Turned that leg, so I don't know if I would've. Becca & Floyd got U-turned both times and might've beat it this time if they had checked their eggs, but we don't know for sure.

The canal task was beautiful with all those inlets and the green scenery. That one guy said to Tyler & Corey something like, "Are you purposely acting like idiots?"  Korey, "We're trying not to."

So next week is it already!  The two-hour finale. Goes by so fast, especially with only one a year now!

I'm rooting for:

1.) Tyler & Korey
2.) Leo & Jamal
3.) Victor & Nicole (she's won BB)
4. Colin & Christie

It's really anyone of these teams to take, in my opinion.

Oh no! I got home from vacation last night and watched this ep where Team Fun was eliminated.

Oooh, wow... Becca was so mad! I'm sorry Team Fun are out, they were my favorites.

On the bright side, while in CA, I did get to do some of Lyle's suggestions like: drive over the Coronado Bridge, see the Coronado Hotel, visit the San Diego Zoo, etc as previously discussed!

"This is Thor, holding his hammer, Mjollnir. Who hasnít heard him beating his anvil in the storm? Who doesnít believe in mighty Thor, slayer of frost and fire?" -Athelstan (History Channel Vikings)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #7135 on: June 25, 2019, 11:48:31 AM »
^^^

Excellent!  I hope you had a wonderful time!

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #7136 on: June 26, 2019, 04:09:03 AM »
MTV is airing the next season of "Are You The One?".

A group of men and women are secretly paired into male-female couples by producers, via a matchmaking algorithm.  Then, while living together, the contestants try to identify all of these "perfect matches."  If they succeed, the entire group shares a prize of up to $1 million.  Over the course of each season, the contestants have the opportunity to pair up in different combinations to compete against each other to win dates, as well as the opportunity to learn in the "truth booth" if a given couple is a correct match.  At the end of each episode, the contestants pair up in a "matching ceremony" and learn how many perfect matches they have, but not which matches are correct.  From season 3 onward, the prize was reduced any time that the house failed to identify any matches other than those already confirmed via the truth booth.

This new season, they've added a twist.  All of the contestants this season define themselves as "sexually fluid", so we will end up with same-sex pairings for the first time.

Offline gwyllion

• Backpacker
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • burbubg passion!
    • AO3
« Reply #7137 on: June 26, 2019, 07:00:54 PM »
Good luck to Tyler & Korey tonight (or the Afghanimals)  :laugh:
"This is Thor, holding his hammer, Mjollnir. Who hasnít heard him beating his anvil in the storm? Who doesnít believe in mighty Thor, slayer of frost and fire?" -Athelstan (History Channel Vikings)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #7138 on: June 27, 2019, 12:21:54 AM »
I give the episode a 07-24-17-01

Well, that was an exciting two hours of The Amazing Race, with the lead changing a number of times.
I was on the edge of my seat. Yes, of course, I would've liked a different ending, but what can you do?

Tyler & Korey were very gracious to the winners, I like that about them. That's why we like them.

London looked so beautiful in the first episode they can use the footage to entice tourists! I loved
at the end of the leg when they got to the mat that they had to continue with a scavenger hunt in
the marketplace!

And how on earth can you remember those directions without being able to write anything down?

In Detroit, I loved that art deco building, but I could not have rappelled down the side of it from the top
of the building!

Offline gwyllion

• Backpacker
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • burbubg passion!
    • AO3
« Reply #7139 on: June 27, 2019, 04:53:12 AM »
You've got to admire Colin & Christie for coming back from last place.

I wonder if Korey regrets helping her with the encrypted message?

Probably not. He and Tyler are such decent people.

I am so glad whiny Nicole and Vic didn't win.

Oh, man, I was screaming at Leo to stop turning that dial so carelessly.

I, too, was on the edge of my seat.

I couldn't sleep!

In our hypothetical season, Lyle, I will do the scary stuff!

Great season! Glad to have Auntie onboard as a new fan!

:-*