The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: TV Right Now: The Good, the Bad, and the Totally Sucky - Volume 2  (Read 594306 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
Re: TV Right Now: The Good, the Bad, and the Totally Sucky - Volume 2
« Reply #450 on: February 25, 2013, 05:05:05 PM »
I'll second that. Opinions ARE a dime a dozen.

They're also like a certain orifice of the human anatomy: Everybody has one.  ;)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #451 on: February 25, 2013, 05:08:03 PM »
It wasn't a command, I believe I said "I" wouldn't discount them.

It still came across to me as criticism. You might have found a way to express your opinion that you would include Hope and Carson without sounding critical of someone else.

Offline doodler

• Obsessed
« Reply #452 on: February 25, 2013, 06:14:53 PM »
Isn't it interesting that Mondays have few unremarkable comedies and mundane dramas for entertainment. Well, there IS the Biggest Loser which falls in both categories.
In 2010, 606 people (all ages) were accidentally killed by guns.
Almost 3000 teens (15-19) die in traffic accidents a year.
1100 kids under 19 drown each year.
44 kids under 5 died of heat stroke in hot cars in 2013.
HIGH school sports account for 1.2 million trips to the ER annually.

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #453 on: February 26, 2013, 12:24:20 AM »
I resort to "Antiques Roadshow" on PBS on Mondays, and anything else I can find for the next hour, and then usually "Hawaii 5-0".
It is kind of an 'eh" night for TV.
Nature has cunning ways of finding our weakest spot.
Call Me By Your Name

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #454 on: February 26, 2013, 07:01:07 AM »
I resort to "Antiques Roadshow" on PBS on Mondays, and anything else I can find for the next hour, and then usually "Hawaii 5-0".

Roadshow is always fun and interesting, at least for a history geek like me. Last night Bones came on while I was washing up after supper. About 8:30 I sat down to watch the show--and the next thing I knew it was 9:02!  :D  I have no idea who the murderer was!  :D

I did catch Two Broke Girls and Mike and Molly, both of which I like (and I love it that M'n'M has the wonderful Swoosie Kurtz--have loved her since Love, Sidney!).

H 5-0 was a rerun--at least according to TV Guide--so instead of watching that I watched ... an episode on DVD from the second season of Daniel Boone!  :D

Tonight is the premier of Golden Boy.

Offline Ennis Del Mark

• Obsessed
  • The first sign of life in four years...
« Reply #455 on: February 26, 2013, 07:05:30 AM »
Finally caught up with last Thursday's BIG BANG THEORY.  Another winner.  The last few shows have been very good.   

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #456 on: February 26, 2013, 10:44:28 AM »
It still came across to me as criticism. You might have found a way to express your opinion that you would include Hope and Carson without sounding critical of someone else.

I'm not sure why this has bothered you so much.   :-\

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #457 on: February 26, 2013, 10:55:47 AM »
They are household names, who in many cases devoted their lives to entertaining the world.
But when George Clooney got up on stage to deliver the annual Oscars In Memoriam Tribute they simply didn't make the cut.
Amongst the stars who were not mentioned this year were Andy Griffith, Phyllis Diller and Larry Hagman.

Really, though, the awards are for movies and none of them were ever nominated for Oscar, though they
were in some movies. These people are known for their television work more than anything else, so.
It's more egregious they didn't mention someone like Ann Rutherford who was in Gone with the Wind,
but they find a slot for a film"critic" like Andrew Sarris, famous and respected to be sure, but until they
give out awards for film critiques, they should probably not incude those people.  The other award shows
don't seem to ever get flack for leaving people out. It makes you wonder why the Oscars always seem to
do something to annoy people.  Latinos aren't happy about them leaving out Lupe Ontiveros who was
nominated for Babel. Although I did notice when the segment was announced this year they said, "Here
are some of the people." I guess that was supposed to appease anyone who felt someone was left out.
I'm still waiting for them to acknowledge Ray Walston. Or the guy who streaked at the Oscars that one year.

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
  • ...suspended above ordinary affairs...
« Reply #458 on: February 26, 2013, 11:08:10 AM »

Linda,
have you watched Market Warriors, it's on right after Roadshow, and may I just say that those people are pretty awful about buying things to resell. 

But it is fun to watch (except Miller  :P)
Bye, Felicia

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #459 on: February 26, 2013, 11:48:16 AM »
Linda,
have you watched Market Warriors, it's on right after Roadshow, and may I just say that those people are pretty awful about buying things to resell. 

My dad likes Pawn Stars. I've checked it out a couple of times. I've seen some interesting stuff on the show, though it strikes me as almost a parody of Antiques Road Show.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #460 on: February 26, 2013, 11:51:20 AM »
I'm not sure why this has bothered you so much.   :-\

It always bothers me when it appears to me that someone is being disrespected or condescended to.

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #461 on: February 26, 2013, 06:36:21 PM »
Tonight is the premier of Golden Boy.

I plan on watching.

Antiques Roadshow is a favorite of mine.
Have you watched any of the British ones, Jeff?
Call Me By Your Name

Offline bubba

• Obsessed
  • love is a force of nature
« Reply #462 on: February 26, 2013, 06:39:04 PM »
Really, though, the awards are for movies and none of them were ever nominated for Oscar, though they
were in some movies. These people are known for their television work more than anything else.

They don't ever " just " mention people who have won or been nominated for Oscars.  And the strange thing was they mentioned Beastie Boy Adam “MCA” Yauch.  Glad they did, my son was a HUGE fan, but why mention him?   And they really should have mentioned Andy Griffith, for sure!!
There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why... I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #463 on: February 26, 2013, 06:39:54 PM »
Linda,

Yes I usually do watch this, but is not a big favorite of mine. If I find something else to watch, I'll give it up.
I always find it funny that they are surprised other people won't pay as much as they did for some of this junk. Not all of it is, but some is.
Call Me By Your Name

Offline gwyllion

• Backpacker
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Toss a coin...
    • AO3
« Reply #464 on: February 26, 2013, 06:40:29 PM »
And the strange thing was they mentioned Beastie Boy Adam “MCA” Yauch.  Glad they did, my son was a HUGE fan, but why mention him?  

My son noticed that, too!  That was pretty weird.
"If you're alone, just know that you're not."
                                                               -Joey Batey