The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: TV Right Now: The Good, the Bad, and the Totally Sucky - Volume 2  (Read 472794 times)

Offline oilgun

• Obsessed
Re: TV Right Now: The Good, the Bad, and the Totally Sucky - Volume 2
« Reply #6720 on: July 02, 2018, 01:00:03 PM »

Hey, Gil, we enjoyed our evening out!  It was very therapeutic to laugh and vent with like minded people!
The show is off all of July. We're going to try for another one in August, but no guarantees. After all, we tried
last summer and didn't get in at all.

P.S.: Happy Canada Day to you tomorrow!

My friend Ken, originally from Canada, is having a little afternoon get together for Canada Day,
because he said he'd rather celebrate Canada this year than July 4th.  (Who can blame him?)

We're all supposed to wear red & white and "not be blue."

Thanks, eh! I went to my sister's in Ottawa as usual. We are in the middle of a heatwave (36c feels like 45c) so the celebration was a bit muted. Luckily a neighbour lent us her pool.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 04:51:02 PM by oilgun »
"Florence, this is a tough hurricane. One of the wettest we've ever seen from the standpoint of water." - Trump

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #6721 on: July 05, 2018, 03:31:03 PM »
I've been binging thru "Counterpart" -
IMDB -> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4643084/?ref_=ttep_ep_tt 
Rotten (100%) -> https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/counterpart

This is a really well thought out and played SCI-FI series. If you enjoy an attention to detail beyond standard 5th grade TV.  If you like dialogs which sound like real adults are speaking and of course if you like JK Simmons, give it a shot.

As an example, here's a quote from Season 1, Episode 5 of "Shaking the Tree." It is from ~ 50 minutes in when Howard Silk (JK Simmons) says to Emily Silk (Prime) played by Olivia Williams as they are parting ways at her door for the evening, "Do you think it's possible to truly love someone without ever knowing who they really are?"  Emily answers after a pause, "Maybe we don't love someone for who they really are.  Maybe love is seeing them for who they'd rather be."   

Wow, that knocked me outta the chair with a WTF did they just say? V.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #6722 on: July 14, 2018, 09:50:12 PM »
going through the guide for my TV shows Hallmark airing "Christmas in Evergreen",  Hallmark Movies & Mysteries airing "The Christmas Train" and VH-1 showing "A Madea Christmas".

:laugh:

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #6723 on: July 21, 2018, 04:15:30 PM »
You'll never see the Golden Girls the same way again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax7pRMDPXhw

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
« Reply #6724 on: July 22, 2018, 06:47:47 AM »
^^^^ LOL... quite a little party they/we are having aye? 

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #6725 on: July 22, 2018, 07:26:18 AM »
“When we grow older still we’ll speak about those two young men as if they were two strangers..... And we’ll want to call it envy, because to call it regret would break our hearts.”

Call Me by Your Name, André Aciman.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #6726 on: July 22, 2018, 08:02:40 AM »
:laugh:

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
« Reply #6727 on: July 30, 2018, 02:24:30 PM »
I see that many people here are just as outraged about Roseanne Barr's racist comments about Valerie Jerrod as I am.  I love the original version of the televisions show "Roseanne" that aired between 1988 to 1997.  I did watch the 2018 reboot that lasted for about ten episodes, I liked it, but not quite as much as the original show. If I am wrong, Barr used to make references about being "white trash" in a comedic way, not to promote a stereotype, but she certainly seems to fit the definition of the phrase "white trash" considering her behavior over the years.  The original version of "Roseanne" had an element of realism to it mixed with humor, a very interesting depiction of a lower middle-class working family that try their best to support themselves and the issues of every day life that they go through. The show also dealt with some interesting social and political issues.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 02:39:47 PM by B.W. »

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6728 on: August 01, 2018, 03:37:35 PM »

It's something...

Timeless Lives! NBC Revives Cancelled Drama With 'Two-Part Finale'
by Michael Ausiello / July 31 2018

One month after cancelling the cult drama (again), NBC announced Tuesday that it has ordered a two-part finale that will give “closure to the globetrotting series.”

“While we wish we could’ve made another dozen seasons of Timeless, this is the next best thing,” said executive producers Shawn Ryan and Eric Kripke in a joint statement. “We’re thrilled to take the Lifeboat out for one last spin and bring closure to our story. The studio, network, cast and crew are all doing this for one reason only: the fans. Because they deserve it. Because the fans made this happen and we thank them for their passion, support and helicopters."

Per NBC, the entire cast — including Abigail Spencer, Matt Lanter, Malcolm Barrett, Goran Višnjić, Paterson Joseph, Sakina Jaffrey and Claudia Doumit — are on board for the finale.

Shawn Ryan told USA Today that enthusiastic viewers’ efforts to revive the cancelled series — including sponsoring a helicopter streaming a banner that read “#SaveTimeless” to fly over San Diego Comic-Con — “was very much on the radar” of executives at the network and Sony, which produces the series. “Trending on Twitter, months after the cancellation, was super-impressive. It’s such a passionate fan base.” He added: “Ultimately, NBC, which has always been good to the show, heard the fans’ voices and didn’t want to be the bad guys in this. They want the fans to get a proper ending and leave on a high note.”

The two-part series finale is slated to start shooting in Los Angeles mid-October. It will air during the holiday season and will, per the official release, give “closure to the globetrotting series that has generated incredible viewer passion” while delivering “one final, emotional story for the Time Team.”

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
« Reply #6729 on: August 04, 2018, 06:35:10 AM »
^^^^  Yes, they got my respect by doing right by the fans by closing the story rather than just quitting.  Thumbs up!  V.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #6730 on: September 23, 2018, 07:40:42 PM »
It seems the new seasons for many TV series are about to begin.

Tomorrow, it appears, is the beginning of the last season for The Big Bang Theory. I feel absolutely no interest in watching it. It's true that I have grown tired of the show, but that doesn't seem to be the problem. I've been looking through TV Guide at when shows I've watched faithfully are beginning their new seasons, and I just don't feel like watching any of them. I've kind of got out of the TV-watching habit over the summer, and I'm not entirely sure I want to get back into it, even for shows I really like, like L&O: SVU and Blue Bloods.

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #6731 on: September 23, 2018, 08:28:50 PM »
I am the same way for some reason, Jeff. The shows that I had been religiously watching over the last years I quit watching halfway through the last season, and have no desire to start back watching them again. I just seem to not be interested in them any more.
Nature has cunning ways of finding our weakest spot.
Call Me By Your Name

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
« Reply #6732 on: September 24, 2018, 03:31:34 AM »
^^^^^
WOW, I thought it was just me.  There are a few I'm hanging onto but done a severe pruning.  I also think I'm going to stop watching the evening news.  It's just gotten so wretched.  V. 

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #6733 on: September 24, 2018, 03:56:04 AM »
I've felt the same way with Fear the Walking Dead.  The most recent season just wrapped up, and I stopped watching in the middle.  I just lost all interest.

The original show (The Walking Dead) is starting up again next month, start of season 9.  I've watched for so long, I will follow that to the end, but I'm losing interest in that too.

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #6734 on: September 24, 2018, 06:52:45 AM »
I will watch Big Bang as it’s the last season. The previous season was quite good again, but it has definitely gone on long enough
“When we grow older still we’ll speak about those two young men as if they were two strangers..... And we’ll want to call it envy, because to call it regret would break our hearts.”

Call Me by Your Name, André Aciman.