The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: TV Right Now: The Good, the Bad, and the Totally Sucky - Volume 2  (Read 476382 times)

Offline gwyllion

• Backpacker
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • burbubg passion!
    • AO3
Re: TV Right Now: The Good, the Bad, and the Totally Sucky - Volume 2
« Reply #6915 on: April 11, 2019, 01:17:30 PM »
Yes, I love the TAR people who will be in this season.

I know of Rupert (from Survivor).

Looking forward! I agree that being placed after Survivor will help TAR.

"This is Thor, holding his hammer, Mjollnir. Who hasn’t heard him beating his anvil in the storm? Who doesn’t believe in mighty Thor, slayer of frost and fire?" -Athelstan (History Channel Vikings)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6916 on: April 13, 2019, 12:03:26 PM »
Jeff, did you see Thursday's Law & Order: SVU program?

I am a bit confused as to why, if the young girl and the "father" were married, why did she not want him to know about
her being pregnant, or why did she want him to think it was the teacher's child? They were both alright with their situation
so her being pregnant shouldn't have been an issue between them, should it? It also just seemed to me they didn't
treat the teacher being killed in a way that made it as bad as it should have been treated. They never even said once
to the girl that her actions caused it. The way the episode played out makes me feel it was written poorly or else I was
missing something I didn't catch.    :-\

Sometimes in the latter half of the hour there are more commercial breaks and one can get distracted by that, your
concentration wanes a bit, if you're watching it when it's airing.

Online Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #6917 on: April 13, 2019, 02:36:11 PM »
Jeff, did you see Thursday's Law & Order: SVU program?

No, I didn't tune in because I thought it was going to be a rerun.

Instead I watched an episode of Michael Pare's old series Starhunter on DVD.

I still haven't gotten Houston Knights. I think that's going to have to come from one of those outfits that burns DVDs on demand, and I'm a little leery of that.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6918 on: April 14, 2019, 11:07:47 AM »
No, I didn't tune in because I thought it was going to be a rerun.

Well, next week IS a rerun.

Then there's 4 in a row to end the season.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6919 on: April 14, 2019, 02:29:56 PM »

A friend and I watched the first episode of Fosse/Verdon last night.

I know Gwen Verdon and her career more than many people (maybe) and I thought Michelle Williams
was fantastic portraying her. She had the perfect look, facial expressions, movements and right voice
inflections. I was impressed. (More than her Marilyn portrayal.)

Sam Rockwell was fine, but there's Roy Scheider's portrayal to compare it with and it wasn't as good as his.

Hope the next several episodes are as entertaining.  One thing we were confused about though, is that during
a few moments a title card appeared on screen that would say, 19 years to go. Or 16 years to go. The last one
said 8 minutes to go. We could not figure out what that was supposed to mean. Anyone else see this yet?

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #6920 on: April 14, 2019, 07:50:11 PM »
Lyle, I'm recording all the episodes, and watched the first one, from a review I read they said to keep watching episodes 2 and 3 then everything will fall into place. In other words, the reviewers thought the first episode will confuse viewers, and cause them to quit watching the follow ons......I do think Michelle is doing a great job, however, Sam's performance? Not so much great in it, maybe it gets better as we go along. I'll watch all the episodes, for sure, since I'm a Michelle fan!! LOL...... ;D :o ;)

Online Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #6921 on: April 15, 2019, 07:36:36 AM »
A friend and I watched the first episode of Fosse/Verdon last night.

I know Gwen Verdon and her career more than many people (maybe) and I thought Michelle Williams
was fantastic portraying her. She had the perfect look, facial expressions, movements and right voice
inflections. I was impressed. (More than her Marilyn portrayal.)

Sam Rockwell was fine, but there's Roy Scheider's portrayal to compare it with and it wasn't as good as his.

Hope the next several episodes are as entertaining.  One thing we were confused about though, is that during
a few moments a title card appeared on screen that would say, 19 years to go. Or 16 years to go. The last one
said 8 minutes to go. We could not figure out what that was supposed to mean.
Anyone else see this yet?

Till Fosse dies?

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #6922 on: April 15, 2019, 08:55:57 AM »
Like I said, Boys, they say you have to view the 2nd and 3rd episodes before the FIRST ONE starts to make sense...... ;)

Online Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #6923 on: April 16, 2019, 09:51:41 AM »
Good episode of 9-1-1 last night. Eddie (Ryan Guzman) was really in the spotlight.

One of these days I should check out some of the Eddie/Buck slash fiction.  ;D

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
« Reply #6924 on: April 16, 2019, 11:48:33 AM »
Am I the only GoT fan!? Darn, this is like soccer, I have nobody to talk to...

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6925 on: April 16, 2019, 11:54:25 AM »
^^^

Around my circle I ask the opposite, "Am I the only one who isn't a Game of Thrones fan?"
When I visit with 4 other friends in particular I have to sit quietly for at least a half hour while
they all talk about the shows they watch that I do not!

And it's not that I am not a fan, it's just it's not my cup of tea.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6926 on: April 16, 2019, 12:07:56 PM »
Good episode of 9-1-1 last night. Eddie (Ryan Guzman) was really in the spotlight.
One of these days I should check out some of the Eddie/Buck slash fiction.  ;D

I'm having a hard time keeping up with this spring's installments in terms of the direction this show's heading.
This spring the shows have been all over the place compared to last season and last fall.  They've done backstory
character shows, one episode was completely a stalker show, and there is way more personal storylines with the
characters. IMO, too much of that. I don't watch the show for that.

The first season did one backstory episode with one paramedic, but all the rest had the 9-1-1 calls with separate
incidents and they were all tied together with a theme, with a dash of personal stories thrown in. Last fall they
diverted from that just a bit and had mutli-story arcs for several episodes. This second half of the season seems
all over the place to me. Not that I haven't enjoyed the episodes for the most part, but it's seemed very inconsistent
to me, as compared to last season and last fall.

I believe there's only 4 more episodes this year, for a total of 18.  That seems low for a successful series like this is for Fox,
but maybe it's very expensive to produce, I don't know.  Next week's episode title is humorous: Ocean's 9-1-1.

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
« Reply #6927 on: April 16, 2019, 12:11:47 PM »
^^^

Around my circle I ask the opposite, "Am I the only one who isn't a Game of Thrones fan?"
When I visit with 4 other friends in particular I have to sit quietly for at least a half hour while

I have a friend with cable who gets to watch GoT before us and he systematically spoils me the better moments. Sometimes friends and tv are just incompatible. I understand that it's no show for everyone, I feel with you, and I admire you for resisting against peer pressure ;)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6928 on: April 16, 2019, 12:30:18 PM »

In the 2016-17 season there were several time travel themed series that began airing: Frequency, Time After Time, Timeless and Making History.
I started watching all of them. Frequency and Making History (a sitcom) lasted one season and were cancelled. Time After Time aired only a handful
of episodes (but made 13 of them) and was cancelled. Timeless aired one season and was famously cancelled and then brought back for a second
season and then cancelled, but was then given two more episodes to wrap things up and appease the fans.

I liked all these series. I had said that I'd watch all 13 episodes of Time After Time if they ever were made available. At least 7 of them never aired.
A couple weeks ago I saw an ad on the CW for an online site they call CW Seed where they have a whole lot of things you can watch FOR FREE!  In
the commercial I thought I saw scenes from Time After Time so I looked it up and. yes, they have all 13 episodes of Time After Time. So last night
I began watching it again, re-watching the first two episodes as I hadn't seen them for two years. While doing so, it all came back to me. What a treat!
Three other friends had said they'd like to see all the episodes if they were ever available and so I alerted them to this.

On the CW Seed website this show was under the heading of One Season Wonders and I also discovered they have ALCATRAZ on there. That was a show I got interested in when it premiered in the spring of 2012 as a mid-season replacement on ABC. I hadn't watched it from the beginning and saw only 5 episodes. It also has elements of time travel in it. I now can see all those episodes, too!

Not only these time travel themed series, but I was just pondering in the last few years how many shows I've began watching that only ran a season or got cancelled really quickly. I wish some of them had been hits and ran longer!  But it's also a treat to get to see things that in the past never would have seen the light of day again.

Online Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #6929 on: April 16, 2019, 01:42:09 PM »
Am I the only GoT fan!? Darn, this is like soccer, I have nobody to talk to...

^^^

I'd never heard of George R.R. Martin or the books until I began hearing about this series before it began. It sounded interesting, but then I heard there were dragons in the story, and I decided that it sounded like a mix that didn't appeal to me, so I never watched it. I have nothing against stories with dragons in them, but it sounded to me like an uneven mix of more-or-less reality and fantasy. I'm perfectly willing to admit I may have been wrong about that, but that's what I thought when I first began to hear about the show. While I'm not particularly sorry that I've never watched it, all the hype I've heard over the current season being the last has made me wonder if this is another cultural phenomenon I've missed out on.

The other one I seem to have missed out on was Downton Abbey. I never watched that because before it began it sounded to me like a reboot of Upstairs/Downstairs with perhaps a dash of Gosford Park courtesy of Dame Maggie Smith.

I understand GoT has been a great boon to the tourist industry where it was filmed in Northern Ireland.