The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: TV Right Now: The Good, the Bad, and the Totally Sucky - Volume 2  (Read 473159 times)

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
Re: TV Right Now: The Good, the Bad, and the Totally Sucky - Volume 2
« Reply #7020 on: May 14, 2019, 11:51:11 PM »

I watched this NetFlix special and really enjoyed it. It's a mix of old and new and I got big laughs out of it along with the tribute.
Like any variety program like this there's always going to be some pluses and minuses depending on one's own tastes, and that
was true for me as well. It was quite interesting to see some of the original Laugh-In set pieces done with todays performers,
along with a few of the originals.

Hope someone else gets to see it so you can share your opinions.

Found it on Netflix and will watch soon!
“When we grow older still we’ll speak about those two young men as if they were two strangers..... And we’ll want to call it envy, because to call it regret would break our hearts.”

Call Me by Your Name, André Aciman.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #7021 on: May 15, 2019, 07:20:51 AM »
Tim Conway, Star of The Carol Burnett Show, Dies at 85

https://people.com/tv/tim-conway-dies/

I am so sorry to hear this. He was one my most favorite comedian!  :'(

I was reading an appreciation of Tim Conway in my morning newspaper, and I suddenly found myself wondering if he could (would be allowed to?) do today some of the characters that he did on the Burnett show?

Times have changed. People have gotten so hypersensitive and quick to take offense. The way his Old Man character moved and spoke mimicked symptoms of Parkinson's Disease (I didn't know that as a teenager watching the Burnett show, but I know it now)--and there's really nothing funny about Parkinson's. I always felt that Mr. Tudball spoke with an accent that was vaguely Swedish; maybe that's not so bad, but still. I remember a sketch with Harvey Korman about making the treaty to end the Russo-Japanese War, and my memory is that Conway's character was a stereotype of a Japanese general.

Understand, I'm not attacking Tim Conway, or his characters. I just wonder if they would "play" today--I mean as new, not as reruns of the Burnett show.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #7022 on: May 15, 2019, 12:53:45 PM »
Meanwhile, I really do need to check out some of the Buck and Eddie fan fiction. I'm sure at least some of it is "slash."  ::)  ;D

Heh, remember in the first part of this episode when that 'style influencer" girl (just back from South America)
was streaming herself and the paramedics had to come...and they had the streaming phone comments on the
left of the screen while the paramedics were arriving...when Buck and Eddie came into the shot and then looked
into the camera I happened to notice one of the streaming comments said: "Who are they? Those 2 bros are
really cute together."   ;D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #7023 on: May 15, 2019, 02:03:23 PM »
When Buck and Eddie came into the shot and then looked
into the camera I happened to notice one of the streaming comments said: "Who are they? Those 2 bros are
really cute together."   ;D

I missed that!  >:(

OTOH, yesterday I was reading an interview with RG on the Internet. Typically, I didn't bookmark the source  ::)  but I was also reading it here at work. He said something that made me think that Falchuk, Minear, and Murphy, as well as RG himself, are aware that some fans are going "that way" (could account for the "streaming comment"as a kind of a "we know what you're thinking" wink?), though RG didn't really address it directly. I'm sure we've got a bromance going on here, but I'm also sure that's all it will be.

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #7024 on: May 15, 2019, 02:08:35 PM »
I was reading an appreciation of Tim Conway in my morning newspaper, and I suddenly found myself wondering if he could (would be allowed to?) do today some of the characters that he did on the Burnett show?

Times have changed. People have gotten so hypersensitive and quick to take offense. The way his Old Man character moved and spoke mimicked symptoms of Parkinson's Disease (I didn't know that as a teenager watching the Burnett show, but I know it now)--and there's really nothing funny about Parkinson's. I always felt that Mr. Tudball spoke with an accent that was vaguely Swedish; maybe that's not so bad, but still. I remember a sketch with Harvey Korman about making the treaty to end the Russo-Japanese War, and my memory is that Conway's character was a stereotype of a Japanese general.

Understand, I'm not attacking Tim Conway, or his characters. I just wonder if they would "play" today--I mean as new, not as reruns of the Burnett show.

He said that the accent was taken from his Romanian mother.
Nature has cunning ways of finding our weakest spot.
Call Me By Your Name

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #7025 on: May 15, 2019, 02:53:20 PM »
I missed that!  >:(

A friend of mine emailed about the episode awhile ago and he offered some more of those comments that he noticed:

"Those guys are so hot"
"Those 2 could put me in a sling any time"
"Those 2 should be a couple"

Heh!

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #7026 on: May 15, 2019, 05:39:36 PM »
So we know Amazing Race is not on tonight because of the Survivor finale.

Next week it will start at 8pm and they're showing two episodes.

Supposedly it will then stay at 8 p.m.

CBS announced their fall schedule today.

As relates to Amazing Race:

It’s Gonna Be Another Long Wait Before ‘The Amazing Race 32’ Premieres
Joyce Eng / Los Angeles Times
May 15, 2019

Time for another long break, “Race” fans. Season 32 of “The Amazing Race” will debut midseason next year, CBS announced Wednesday.

This isn’t really surprising as “Race” has been a midseason replacement since the 29th season in 2017, being reduced to one season a year. A time slot and premiere date will be announced at a later time.

Season 32 has already been filmed, so it’s also basically ready to go if any of CBS’ new fall shows don’t work out. “Race” has been called up to bat to pinch hit before as they did with Season 29 and the current edition began over a month earlier than had been scheduled when another CBS show faltered. 

Season 30 bridged the gap between “Survivor” seasons in January and February 2018 in the Wednesdays-at-8 slot, where it performed extremely well and had it's highest ratings in a few seasons. Many expected CBS to deploy the same method this season, but “Race” was held to the spring. If the next edition is again held until late spring it will begin airing nearly a year and a half since the race was run in November, 2018.

Amazing Race fans have had to put up with an awful lot from CBS and their programming department.
_______

Tell me about it.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #7027 on: May 15, 2019, 07:05:05 PM »
A friend of mine emailed about the episode awhile ago and he offered some more of those comments that he noticed:

"Those guys are so hot"

Heh!

;D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #7028 on: May 16, 2019, 07:05:42 PM »

"Those guys are so hot"

Heh!

I found plenty of photos on the Internet that would support that contention.  :D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #7029 on: May 17, 2019, 07:07:29 AM »
Well, BBT is no more.

Except that with 12 years of shows available for reruns, it will be with us forever.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #7030 on: May 17, 2019, 07:08:40 AM »
Lyle, did you catch the season finale of L&O: SVU?

Of course I have my opinions, but I won't write about them until I know if you've seen it. I don't want to spoil anything.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 11:28:17 AM by Jeff Wrangler »

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #7031 on: May 17, 2019, 10:58:30 AM »
Well, BBT is no more.

Except that with 12 years of shows available for reruns, it will be with us forever.

279 episodes!

I watched the final two episodes last night. THe finale was quite good, mixing real laughs with sentiment and also
made it seem like an ending.

An ADDED bonus or coda to that finale was the episode of Young Sheldon that followed it. It was about Sheldon wanting
to get a radio so that he could hear the live announcements of the Nobel Prize winners for science at 5am and the last
part, without giving it away, tied in to the Big Bang finale episode. It was a lovely bonus.

They did that once before when BB aired the episode where Sheldon & Amy got married and in the following Young SHeldon episode
we find out through his grown-up narration that in the future they will have two children.

Last night CBS also celebrated with a half hour behind the scenes of the show the last 12 years and then Late Night with Stephen Colbert
featured the entire cast as guests, plus Barenaked Ladies in person, who sang the whole theme song live. A great send-off!

Just think, when this show premiered in 2007, on my birthday no less, George W. Bush was President.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #7032 on: May 17, 2019, 11:01:09 AM »
Of course I have my opinions, but I won't write about them until I know if you've seen it. I don't want to spoil anything.

Jeff, I watched the first couple minutes and then got a phone call from someone I haven't talked to in such a long time.
Since I knew I could catch this one on NBC's website later on, I decided to chat with my friend and we talked over an hour!

So I'm going to try and watch it today if I can.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #7033 on: May 17, 2019, 11:29:24 AM »
Jeff, I watched the first couple minutes and then got a phone call from someone I haven't talked to in such a long time.
Since I knew I could catch this one on NBC's website later on, I decided to chat with my friend and we talked over an hour!

So I'm going to try and watch it today if I can.

I will be interested to know what you think.  :)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #7034 on: May 18, 2019, 01:04:35 AM »
Of course I have my opinions, but I won't write about them until I know if you've seen it.

I watched it tonight.
You go first!