The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: TV Right Now: The Good, the Bad, and the Totally Sucky - Volume 2  (Read 482711 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
Re: TV Right Now: The Good, the Bad, and the Totally Sucky - Volume 2
« Reply #7185 on: August 11, 2019, 10:57:43 AM »
This weekend I have been binge-watching Season 1 of 9-1-1 on DVD. It appears I only ever saw the last three episodes of Season 1 (in reruns last summer). It really is amazing how much story they cram into less than an hour.

Season 3 begins September 23 (hard to believe that's only about six weeks from now). I've tried but not succeeded in finding a release date for Season 2 on DVD. If I understand correctly what I've seen, it's already available on Amazon Prime. As best as I can determine, Season 1 was released last year shortly before Season 2 began airing, so I theorize Season 2 will be released sometime in the next four to six weeks, probably shortly before Season 3 starts. That is, of course, assuming it will be released on DVD.

They sure showed off Oliver Stark to his best advantage in Season 1.

It still puzzles me that they brought another stud into the cast. One thought that has crossed my mind is that before they brought Ryan Guzman on board, there was no principal character of Hispanic background. They had Black, white, and Asian, but no Hispanic, but doesn't mean they had to add a hunky firefighter to add a Hispanic character--not that that was a bad thing. They might have replaced Connie Britton with a woman of Hispanic background as the 9-1-1 operator character. Don't take that as dislike of Jennifer Love Hewitt. I know she has her haters, both personally and her character, but I like her, and I like Maddie. I'm just making an observation.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #7186 on: August 11, 2019, 02:11:36 PM »

Have you seen the Valentine's Day episode yet, Jeff? It's called Heartbreaker. IMO, that is the craziest WTF episode of 9-1-1!
The episode after that is really good, too, Full Moon aka Creepy AF.  And I remember one called Trapped that dealt with some hoarders, which had their house booby trapped for the 9-1-1 guys to maneuver around, lol.

CSI had an episode once that I loved the title of: "House of Hoarders."

By the way, I understand that Connie Britton was asked by Ryan Murphy to do that role as a limited role. Meaning it was only going to be one season for her. Even so, she became really popular and at the end of the season it was said she might be back. But she hasn't been.

If I Hear of a DVD release date for the 2nd season I'll let you know here, Jeff.  OMG, I just thought of something. I have to look up something to tell you accurately, Jeff, and then I'll post it.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #7187 on: August 11, 2019, 02:34:34 PM »

Jeff, my friend Tim wrote me this email on Friday, August 2nd:

After work I decided to go see Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and when I got there it was sold out. After my aborted attempt to see the movie, I was on my way home, walking down Western Ave., approaching Melrose.  I passed a laundromat and there was a film crew filming inside.  As I passed, I happened to look in the window and saw Peter Krause standing there, waiting for what looked like to do another take.  I didn't linger to see if any of the other cast members were there. They probably were, but I didn't have a full view of the whole inside.  It was just a neat surprise to see him in his uniform.

The next day he wrote me another email and said he forgot to tell me the best part and proceeded in making up a story about seeing Ryan Guzman in the alley and Ryan looking at him and motioning him to come over where they got it on together. And afterwards my friend wrote, "You know I'm joking, right?"  LOL!  (Just to be clear, he wasn't joking about the filming part.)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #7188 on: August 11, 2019, 06:25:57 PM »
Have you seen the Valentine's Day episode yet, Jeff? It's called Heartbreaker. IMO, that is the craziest WTF episode of 9-1-1!
The episode after that is really good, too, Full Moon aka Creepy AF.  And I remember one called Trapped that dealt with some hoarders, which had their house booby trapped for the 9-1-1 guys to maneuver around, lol.

I've seen those episodes. I have the last three to go, including "Trapped." It looks to me like all I saw last summer were the last three episodes of the season, and they were enough to get me hooked to want to watch Season 2--and that was even before they brought Ryan Guzman on board.

By the way, I understand that Connie Britton was asked by Ryan Murphy to do that role as a limited role. Meaning it was only going to be one season for her. Even so, she became really popular and at the end of the season it was said she might be back. But she hasn't been.

I read that Britton's role was intended to be limited to one season; I had not heard that Ryan Murphy asked her to do it. (I feel old watching Mariette Hartley as Abby's mother, but never mind.) I've also read that there was talk of bringing her back, but maybe only in a limited or guest role capacity, but it hasn't worked out. I also read that she really enjoyed working with the rest of the cast.

If I Hear of a DVD release date for the 2nd season I'll let you know here, Jeff.

Thanks!

Jeff, my friend Tim wrote me this email on Friday, August 2nd:

After work I decided to go see Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and when I got there it was sold out. After my aborted attempt to see the movie, I was on my way home, walking down Western Ave., approaching Melrose.  I passed a laundromat and there was a film crew filming inside.  As I passed, I happened to look in the window and saw Peter Krause standing there, waiting for what looked like to do another take.  I didn't linger to see if any of the other cast members were there. They probably were, but I didn't have a full view of the whole inside.  It was just a neat surprise to see him in his uniform.

That would be very cool! Filming in a laundromat? Considering some of the crazy situations those first responders find themselves in, I would almost be willing to bet that they're there because someone got stuck in a clothes dryer. It will be fun to watch for that episode. If it was being filmed August 2, it will also be interesting to see how early or late in the season it airs.

Dammit I wish the show didn't air on Mondays. I have a club meeting on the first and third Mondays of each month. I hope Fox reruns episodes on Saturdays like they did before.

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #7189 on: August 12, 2019, 12:19:35 AM »
Jeff, how can you live without some means of recording television? :)
“When we grow older still we’ll speak about those two young men as if they were two strangers..... And we’ll want to call it envy, because to call it regret would break our hearts.”

Call Me by Your Name, André Aciman.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #7190 on: August 12, 2019, 06:47:18 AM »
Jeff, how can you live without some means of recording television? :)

I gave that up before the turn of the century (back in the VCR days) when I realized I was recording far more than I was ever able to watch, because there was always something else to watch. The explosion of channels and networks since then hasn't improved the situation, at least not for me. I also wasn't obsessed with any show back then. I'm sure there were shows I hated to miss, but I had no "must see TV."

I suppose I try to find out if 9-1-1 is available "On Demand," and then look into that, but I'm not inclined to pay extra to be able to watch one TV show. Perhaps a DVR would work, but there I have no confidence in my own ability to get a DVR and a DVD player and the cable box all hooked up to my late 1990s TV set and get them all working properly together. (The brain is getting older. Believe it or not, once I was able to set the clock on a VCR or a DVD player.  ;D )

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #7191 on: August 12, 2019, 01:00:18 PM »

Jeff, are you interested in the possibility of watching them online. I don't ordinarily like to watch things on my computer, but if it's the only way I can get to see something that I want to I'll do it. Most of the networks let you watch their programs, at least for awhile, on their websites. Some make you sign in with your TV provider, so you have to have that, and, also, you never know about computers and if yours plays whatever, but it's worth a shot if one wants to.

Give it a try:
https://www.fox.com/9-1-1/

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #7192 on: August 12, 2019, 02:30:50 PM »
Jeff, are you interested in the possibility of watching them online. I don't ordinarily like to watch things on my computer, but if it's the only way I can get to see something that I want to I'll do it. Most of the networks let you watch their programs, at least for awhile, on their websites. Some make you sign in with your TV provider, so you have to have that, and, also, you never know about computers and if yours plays whatever, but it's worth a shot if one wants to.

Give it a try:
https://www.fox.com/9-1-1/

I can't imagine sitting at my computer desk to watch a TV show, either, but, going forward, rather than miss episodes, I was willing to give it a try. Twice in the past couple of weeks I went to the Fox web site just to see if it were possible for me to watch on my PC.

The first time I saw something like "Enjoy your free one-hour trial"; it was something like that. I did not have time then to watch an episode, and the "free trial" business put me off. As obsessed as I presently am with 9-1-1, I'm not really inclined to pay for the privilege of watching just that on the Fox web site.

The second time, just last week, I saw a screen with a padlock icon and a message to "Unlock episodes" and "Sign in with your TV provider." I didn't know what was up with that TV provider business, since I would be watching on the PC monitor with no connection to my TV, so I let it drop. (I receive TV from Comcast as part of my monthly condo fee; I get phone and Internet from Verizon.)

Maybe I should see if any of my local friends have DVRs, and if they're difficult to work with. I remembered after I replied to Sara that I have a second TV (in my bedroom) that's on the cable, is more modern than the set I have in the living room, and has a built-in DVD player, so I wouldn't have to deal with trying to hook up two devices to one TV set.

I take it your friend Tim is also a Ryan Guzman fan. ...

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #7193 on: August 13, 2019, 10:50:24 AM »

Who isn't, heh!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #7194 on: August 13, 2019, 12:25:29 PM »

Who isn't, heh!

Oliver Stark's stock has been rising with me since I've been watching Season 1. If I didn't already, I certainly understand now why those two are being "shipped" constantly on Facebook and Instagram (according to RG in one of the gifs I've downloaded).

And it's not just OS's stock that's been rising. ...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #7195 on: August 13, 2019, 09:25:49 PM »
And this is now having me feeling seriously weird. I just finished watching Season 1 of 9-1-1 on DVD, and I only remember two of the episodes, the next-to-last, "Trapped," and the one before that, "Karma's a Bitch." I'm finding it difficult to believe that it took only two episodes to get me to watch Season 2 when it premiered last September? I guess maybe.  :">
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 09:30:55 AM by Jeff Wrangler »

Offline BlueAmber63

• Striped socks and dusty shoes
  • Obsessed
« Reply #7196 on: August 15, 2019, 02:48:53 PM »
Just watching a transgender(male to female) op. The genital area.....then the facial
features. These procedures are so complicated and must be soooo painful for a good few months....the person/s having it done must really want/need this.
Good luck to all of them.
Wanting him to come back... before anyone notices
part of the world has not moved...since he left.