The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Classic TV  (Read 451072 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
Re: Classic TV
« Reply #345 on: March 22, 2013, 08:23:09 AM »
Well, I don't know whether Magnum, P.I., qualifies as "classic," but I had a good laugh from an episode I caught last night on Cozi-TV. The episode was from December 1982 (I looked it up), and the plot involved a woman wanting to deposit her father's ashes on the U.S.S. Arizona. The name they gave the father was "Miles Archer," and the name of the daughter was "Bridget."

Of course, "Miles Archer" was the name of Humphrey Bogart's partner who gets knocked off early on in The Maltese Falcon, and "Bridget" (actually "Brigid") was the name of Mary Astor's character in the same movie.   ;D

Offline bentgyro

• Obsessed
« Reply #346 on: March 22, 2013, 11:25:37 AM »
It is a "classic".....That episode was 31yrs old :o

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #347 on: March 22, 2013, 11:45:13 AM »
It is a "classic".....That episode was 31yrs old :o

And Tom Selleck sure looked good in a pair of form-fitting pale-blue jeans, with that luxuriant mass of dark chest hair peeking out of his Hawaiian shirt.  ;D

He looked even better in the final scene, where he was playing volleyball in just a little pair of shorts.  ;D

Offline bubba

• Obsessed
  • love is a force of nature
« Reply #348 on: March 22, 2013, 01:54:59 PM »
I worked with a girl that was in love with Tom Selleck, in his Magnum years.  She had poster up all over her office (back when you could put up pictures/posters in your office).  I personally didn't get it.   But then I had pictures of Don Johnson up in mine!  :D
There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why... I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #349 on: March 22, 2013, 02:25:16 PM »
I worked with a girl that was in love with Tom Selleck, in his Magnum years.  She had poster up all over her office (back when you could put up pictures/posters in your office).  I personally didn't get it.   But then I had pictures of Don Johnson up in mine!  :D

It's all about the mustache. Either you get it, or you don't.  ;D

(Don Johnson never did anything for me.  ;) )

Offline kathy

• Obsessed
  • ...just like this...always
« Reply #350 on: March 22, 2013, 07:42:50 PM »
We owe Lucille Ball a lot!

Oh, yes, but we just can't forget Desi.  He had so much to do with production from the very beginning.

kathy
p.s.  I'm certain The Untouchables (one of my favorites) was a Desilu production.  I heard Robert Stack mention it more than once.   
"Tell you what...the truth is...sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it".

Offline Ennis Del Mark

• Obsessed
  • The first sign of life in four years...
« Reply #351 on: March 23, 2013, 02:45:32 AM »
No, I'd never forget about Desi.

But he was long gone from Desilu by 1966, when Lucy gave the go-ahead to making the Star Trek and Mission:  Impossible pilots.  So the credit for them is all hers.

Offline Ennis Del Mark

• Obsessed
  • The first sign of life in four years...
« Reply #352 on: March 23, 2013, 02:47:29 AM »

I loved Tom AND Don, both of whom were dorky-looking in their 20s but by their mid-thirties were extremely sexy.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #353 on: March 23, 2013, 10:35:46 AM »
No, I'd never forget about Desi.

But he was long gone from Desilu by 1966, when Lucy gave the go-ahead to making the Star Trek and Mission:  Impossible pilots.  So the credit for them is all hers.

Lucy was a shrewd business woman. Star Trek may not have lasted many season in its initial run, but when you consider the life the franchise continues to have, I'd say her decision was justified.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #354 on: March 23, 2013, 10:39:24 AM »
Here's a good one. I just saw Corporal Klinger of the 4077th M*A*S*H on an episode of The Rebel!  :D  He was not wearing a dress, and he was even riding a horse!  :D

Meanwhile, I'm watching handsome-handsome Guy Madison as the guest star on Wagon Train.  :)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #355 on: March 23, 2013, 11:34:07 AM »
p.s.  I'm certain The Untouchables (one of my favorites) was a Desilu production.  I heard Robert Stack mention it more than once.  

You are entirely correct. The Untouchables initially aired in April of '59, as a two-part episode of the
Desilu Playhouse series. (This is where episodes of the Lucy/Desi Comedy Hour aired which featured
the hour long shows of Lucy, Ricky, Fred & Ethel.) The Untouchables was such a huge ratings hit that
a series was immediately brought into production. The original two-part episode was re-cut as a movie
and was shown in movie theaters in the U.S. and abroad to gain publicity for the upcoming series that
fall. It was also syndicated to stations across the country after that for years. The first season dvd of
The Untouchables includes the two parter in the "film version," but adds the introductions and original
credits of the Desilu Playhouse version as an added extra.

In 1966, I believe it was, three years after it was off the air, The Lucy Show did an episode
reuniting three of The Untouchables characters, including Robert Stack. Although they didn't
use their character names, they were playing their Untouchables characters, including Robert
Stack, and it was quite amusing. That episode is on one of the dvd's as a bonus extra, too.
SNL in it's second season did a parody of The Untouchables with Dan Aykroyd playing Ness.

I had always heard how violent this show was and at the time it was considered extreme.
Watching them now you may harken back to a "simpler" time and wonder what audiences
would think of today's television programs.

I've always been a fan. I also enjoyed the film. I could never get into the syndicated series
done in the early 90's, though. Did anyone know that a musical was done called "Eliot Ness
in Cleveland?" True!

I attended a Paley Festival event celebrating this series back in the early 90's. Robert Stack
was there as well as some other cast members. They showed an episode and had a panel
discussion.  Was great!

« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 12:24:44 PM by Lyle (Mooska) »

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #356 on: March 23, 2013, 11:47:45 AM »
I loved Tom AND Don, both of whom were dorky-looking in their 20s but by their mid-thirties were extremely sexy.

The first R- Rated film I ever saw when I went off to college starred Don Johnson.
I'm going to look up the title now.

It was The Harrad Experiment. Don Johnson was probably the first naked person I'd seen
in a film!  Heh! I'll bet the film doesn't hold up. Peyton Place was considered scandalous
when it came out. I thought it was a hoot. Generations now would probably think the
same of Harrad Experiment, which even had a sequel! Me and my friends were particularly
interested in Don Johnson then because one of our classmates looked amazingly like him.
(The guy's name is Paul Murray, if I recall.)

You could see more on the internet now than we ever thought of seeing
back when this film came out. I can't imagine growing up now and seeing
nearly anything you want and many things a young person shouldn't,
whenever you want to online! Back to TV!

Offline garyd

• Obsessed
« Reply #357 on: March 23, 2013, 12:02:58 PM »
Did anyone know that a musical was done called "Eliot Ness
in Chicago?" True!

LOL, well, "semi" true.  It was "Eliot Ness..In Cleveland". 
zzzzzzz

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #358 on: March 23, 2013, 12:03:57 PM »
Meanwhile, I'm watching handsome-handsome Guy Madison as the guest star on Wagon Train.  :)

I wish I'd seen that! That guy in photos alone makes me swoon, I can't imagine
what he'd have been like in person. Wonder who coined the phrase "bedroom eyes."

I just wrote this in the above post:
I can't imagine growing up now and seeing nearly anything you want
and many things a young person shouldn't, whenever you want to online!

Well, I googled Guy Madison to find a pic to post here and look what I immediately found:

Click the Not Safe for Work link here:  NSFW 

I've not seen many of his movies or his TV series.  What was the Wagon Train episode about?

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #359 on: March 23, 2013, 12:18:22 PM »
Every time someone mentions Guy Madison I spend an hour looking at
his photograph online. Dang you, Jeff.  I mean, thank you Jeff!  LOL!