The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Classic TV  (Read 451006 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
Re: Classic TV
« Reply #495 on: April 26, 2013, 07:19:13 AM »
I remember each episode you stated.  I saw the Wagon Train one a few wks. back (with the mention of yellow fever - shades of Jezebel?) ;)  This was in b&w.

Darn! If ME-TV broadcast it sytem-wide, then I missed it!  :'(  I would really like to see that episode again. I wonder whether it's included in any of the collections that have been released on DVD?

You betcha that was a reference to Jezebel!  ;D

Offline kathy

• Obsessed
  • ...just like this...always
« Reply #496 on: April 26, 2013, 07:32:43 PM »
Jeff, the channel that runs the two Marshal Dillon 1/2 hr. episodes (with Chester), and next the 1-hr. episodes are shown here on Encore Western Channel.  Starz & Encore are kind of "together" but Encore is the one that shows the classic TV westerns and lately the classic film High Noon.
There are a few other Encore channels like Encore Suspense and Encore something or other, but I usually watch the Westerns one.   They are now still showing the 1/2 hr. ones w/Chester from 1960 - I think.  The hour ones are still in b&w and the one on today was from 1965 (Festus was in it).

ME-TV here: I have no idea what channel it's on.  I caught a Gunsmoke episode on it once by chance; it was in color.  But now I can't even find the channel.  Comcast has made many changes over the past year and sometimes the channels are just jumbled in my head; e.g. I have an HD TV.  The HD channels have a different numbered system from the others!  Talk about confusing.   ::) 

kathy     :)     
p.s.  Bette was also in another episode of Wagon Train w/Ward Bond.  She played a mother of several children and thought she was pregnant again.  But she learned it was a tumor and she would die in a matter of time.  (I'd like to catch the one w/Chas. Laughton). 
"Tell you what...the truth is...sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it".

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #497 on: April 28, 2013, 04:09:19 PM »
kathy     :)     
p.s.  Bette was also in another episode of Wagon Train w/Ward Bond.  She played a mother of several children and thought she was pregnant again.  But she learned it was a tumor and she would die in a matter of time.  (I'd like to catch the one w/Chas. Laughton). 

Wow! I didn't know that! I've only seen the "Jezebel episode," and that only once.  :(

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #498 on: April 29, 2013, 10:59:23 AM »

I saw the Bette Davis PERRY MASON episode last night. While it was grand to see Bette doing
her thing in a classic tv series, the episode and plot were not all that compelling.

Offline bubba

• Obsessed
  • love is a force of nature
« Reply #499 on: April 30, 2013, 07:10:42 AM »
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000012/

I can't believe how much TV she did, I had no idea!
There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why... I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #500 on: April 30, 2013, 11:02:46 AM »

According to that she did THREE episodes of WAGON TRAIN:

Wagon Train (TV series)
– The Bettina May Story (1961) … Bettina May
– The Elizabeth McQueeny Story (1959) … Madame Elizabeth McQueeny
– The Ella Lindstrom Story (1959) … Ella Lindstrom

I know one thing they don't have on that list because I saw the segment.
She was on an episode of ABC's Variety Series THE HOLLYWOOD PALACE.
Amazing what you can find all at your fingertips, too--I just googled Bette
and Hollywood Palace and you can find these clips on there!

THE HOLLYWOOD PALACE is a show that never really garnered much public attention
nor has it stayed in the minds of hardly any people. I think it was in a rough timeslot or
something, but if you look at the people who were on it you'd be quite amazed. It was
on for 192 episodes, too, from 1964-1970.

This wikipedia link has a list of the people who appeared on it each season!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hollywood_Palace

If I were here then I surely would've gotten a ticket or two to a taping.
It's got nearly all the whole list of Hollywood greats and people of the moment. It had different
hosts every week (like SNL) and it was structured like an old vaudeville show and actually done
in a theatre near Hollywood and Vine.

The place is still there and it's a nightclub called The Avalon.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #501 on: April 30, 2013, 11:19:46 AM »

Look at some of the famous people on this show that would've been glorious to see,
and this is only a selection from the FIRST season, mostly:

Bing Crosby
    Bobby Van
    Ginger Rogers
    Johnny Mathis
    Eleanor Powell
    Yma Sumac
    Gene Kelly
    Kate Smith
    Dean Martin
    Groucho Marx
    Nat "King" Cole
    Diahann Carroll
    Ken Murray
    Paul Winchell
    The Lennon Sisters
    Patti Page
    Cyd Charisse
    Tony Martin
    Ferrante and Teicher
    Rich Little
    Jimmy Durante
    Rowan and Martin
    Eddie Albert
    Anna Maria Alberghetti
    Henny Youngman
    Betty Hutton
    Carole Cook
    Paul Lynde
    Trini Lopez
    George Gobel
    Victor Borge
    Dennis Day
    Caterina Valente
    Phil Harris
    Louis Armstrong
    Gene Barry
    Buster Keaton
    Gloria Swanson
    The Rolling Stones
    Ed Wynn
    Eydie Gormé
    Joan Crawford
    Maurice Chevalier
    Dan Dailey
    Willie Mays
    Bette Davis
    Olivia de Havilland
    Arthur Godfrey
    Alice Faye
    Edgar Bergen and Charlie McCarthy
    Betty Grable
    Van Johnson
    Liberace
    Edward G. Robinson
    Shani Wallis
    Gene Barry
    Elizabeth Montgomery
    The Supremes

And some people I don't think I've heard of before:

Johnny Puleo
    Miriam Makeba
    Francis Brunn
    Michael Bentine
    Zizi Jeanmaire
    Gilbert Bécaud
    John W. Bubbles
    John Gary
    Philly Joe Jones
    Shelly Manne
    Gene Baylos

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #502 on: April 30, 2013, 11:44:43 AM »
According to that she did THREE episodes of WAGON TRAIN:

Wagon Train (TV series)
– The Bettina May Story (1961) … Bettina May
– The Elizabeth McQueeny Story (1959) … Madame Elizabeth McQueeny
– The Ella Lindstrom Story (1959) … Ella Lindstrom

That's the episode I've seen--and hope to see again.

I know one thing they don't have on that list because I saw the segment.
She was on an episode of ABC's Variety Series THE HOLLYWOOD PALACE.
Amazing what you can find all at your fingertips, too--I just googled Bette
and Hollywood Palace and you can find these clips on there!

THE HOLLYWOOD PALACE is a show that never really garnered much public attention
nor has it stayed in the minds of hardly any people. I think it was in a rough timeslot or
something, but if you look at the people who were on it you'd be quite amazed. It was
on for 192 episodes, too, from 1964-1970.

This wikipedia link has a list of the people who appeared on it each season!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hollywood_Palace

If I were here then I surely would've gotten a ticket or two to a taping.
It's got nearly all the whole list of Hollywood greats and people of the moment. It had different
hosts every week (like SNL) and it was structured like an old vaudeville show and actually done
in a theatre near Hollywood and Vine.

We watched The Hollywood Palace at our house.  :) Was it on Saturday nights? Sunday nights--later than Disney? I could never have believed it lasted till 1970--it's a part of my "Sixties Childhood" memories.  ;D

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #503 on: May 01, 2013, 10:47:44 AM »
The place is still there and it's a nightclub called The Avalon.

The other photo doesn't seem to be loading properly.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #504 on: May 01, 2013, 11:39:11 AM »
And some people I don't think I've heard of before:

Johnny Puleo
    Miriam Makeba
    Francis Brunn
    Michael Bentine
    Zizi Jeanmaire
    Gilbert Bécaud
    John W. Bubbles
    John Gary
    Philly Joe Jones
    Shelly Manne
    Gene Baylos

I ought to do some research (read: Google). I know Miriam Makeba and John Gary are/were singers. I'm pretty sure John W. Bubbles was a tap dancer. I think Zizi Jeanmaire was in a movie with Danny Kaye (just as "Jeanmaire"). And--I think this is kind of funny--I don't know a thing about Philly Joe Jones, but I've seen his plaque in Philadelphia's "Music Walk of Fame" on South Broad Street.

I think at our house, when I was a kid, we must have watched all the variety shows--and for myself I'm including in this category--but not limiting it to--Red Skelton, Ed Sullivan, Dean Martin, Jackie Gleason, Andy Williams, Flip Wilson, the Osmonds, and the King Sisters. There must be more.

Of course, Carol Burnett is sui generis.  :D

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #505 on: May 04, 2013, 12:56:57 PM »
I ought to do some research (read: Google). I know Miriam Makeba and John Gary are/were singers. I'm pretty sure John W. Bubbles was a tap dancer. I think Zizi Jeanmaire was in a movie with Danny Kaye (just as "Jeanmaire"). And--I think this is kind of funny--I don't know a thing about Philly Joe Jones, but I've seen his plaque in Philadelphia's "Music Walk of Fame" on South Broad Street.

That's cool that many are recognizable to you!

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #506 on: May 04, 2013, 01:33:56 PM »
I think at our house, when I was a kid, we must have watched all the variety shows--and for myself I'm including in this category--but not limiting it to--Red Skelton, Ed Sullivan, Dean Martin, Jackie Gleason, Andy Williams, Flip Wilson, the Osmonds, and the King Sisters. There must be more.

I used to love the variety show format, too.  I was more fond of the ones that accented
comedy over the music, though.  Now, I appreciate the ones with the music in them a lot
more than I did as a kid.

My favorite variety show of all time was:

Other huge favorties were and are:

The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour
The Red SKelton Hour
The Sonny & Cher Show
The Carol Burnett Show
   (I always loved that her shows' initials were also CBS!)
The Dean Martin Show

The Dean Martin Show wasn't one I could always stay up to see when I was a kid.
It was on at 10pm. And it wasn't rerun during the summer when I could have seen
it.  So, I don't know a lot about it, but I really liked it, even though it was more
attuned to music, but there were so many stars!  I know recently many have
been released on dvd at Time Lilfe, but I haven't seen them, though I will someday.

I don't really know much about the black and white variety shows before 1965,
like Danny Kaye, Perry Como, Judy Garland (I have seen some of these on video)
and Dinah Shore, Pat Boone, Nat King Cole and the like.

I remember some shorter lived series like Julie Andrews, Pat Paulsen, Leslie Uggams,
Tom Jones, Jim Nabors and Jerry Lewis. Milton Berle tried a series revival in 1968, or
thereabouts. Kraft Music Hall was always a hit or miss proposition because it had no
regular host each week. I did not really gravitate toward all the country star shows
because I was not really fond of all their music--Glen Campbell (the one I saw mostly),
Mack Davis, Johnny Cash (ugh) and the syndicated ones from Nashville. I did like
Flip Wilson (he appeared on Laugh-In a lot) but I did not like the format of his show,
with the studio audience practically in his lap or in every shot. It really annoyed me.
I know Ed Sullivan's show was variety, but I didn't really watch it, we watched Disney's
Wonderful World of Color more often than not.

I remember The Beautiful Phylllis Diller Show. Shields & Yarnell and Hee-Haw.  When I went off to
college I only brielfy saw some of those variety series that were the last of their kind like Donny & Marie
and The Captain & Tenille and what probably killed the genre-Pink Lady & Jeff!

In 1977 I was fortunate to see one of the Laugh-In '77 specials taped.  I alwasy looked forward to
Bob Hope's specials, at least his monologues. and the Jack Benny Variety Specials.

I always wanted Paul Lynde to have a variety series or be a regular on Laugh-In!

Of the six variety series I listed as my favorites, there are episodes one can find of all of those
on dvd, which is remarkable considering music rights hamper most all variety show releases.
I still enjoy watching many of them.

Of course, SNL starts out in the Classic TV Series era we've outlined!  I still watch that!
It's about 38 seasons now!  Incredible...Wow!

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #507 on: May 04, 2013, 01:43:05 PM »

In the variety show arena, one of the most amazing clips I have seen is on youtube
and it was labeled as from The Sammy Davis, Jr. Show. (I didn't know he had one.)
It had The Supremes on one side of the stage and The Andrews Sisters on the other
(Sammy was in the middle) and each "group" was singing the hits of the other. Amazing
piece of video. If you google Supremes + Andrews Sisters + youtube you'll probably find it.

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #508 on: May 04, 2013, 03:05:48 PM »
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #509 on: May 04, 2013, 03:48:15 PM »

John Gary lived in New Orleans for a while, and he was a fixture on local TV in the early 60's. He was an avid skin diver, and once broke the record for remaining underwater using scuba equipment while living down there.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."