The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Classic TV  (Read 451035 times)

Offline bubba

• Obsessed
  • love is a force of nature
Re: Classic TV
« Reply #825 on: November 15, 2013, 08:09:37 PM »
ok, so who is it?

:D  Richard Chamberlin, it even looks like him?   Did you watch The Thorn Birds?

I was also young, probably six when I had my crush on him.  I use to sing.........take me up to hospital, take me up to my room, give me a needle cause I don't care, I'm in love with Dr. Kildaire!

:D
There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why... I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #826 on: November 16, 2013, 09:57:38 AM »
Back to the 60s, did anyone know that MY MOTHER, THE CAR was just released on DVD?

50 years later I don't know what to say about this, except that when I was a child I did watch it
every week.  As a curiosity I'd check it out on an episode by episode basis. I have always thought
actor Jerry Van Dyke was annoying.  Either that, or he usually just played annoying characters. I
did not care for him on The DvD Show,  He was annoying on Coach. If he had played Gilligan
(it's stated he was offered that role) I probably would've hated Gilligan, too!  If the show was
broadcast in color I would like to see that, too, cause I wonder what color his mother was? What
I remember is that The Red Skelton Comedy Hour was on after this. (Maybe another network, but
same night.)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #827 on: November 16, 2013, 09:58:13 AM »

Red Skelton is largely forgotten by modern audiences for whatever reason. Probably because he
mostly left the public eye when his last series went off the air in 1971. His show was on in various
incarnations over twenty years, but always ranked in the top ten--even the last year he was on CBS!
Can you imagine cancelling a show in the Top Ten? The last year NBC picked him up for a 1/2 hour
verison, but it didn't work and he left the airwaves.  If anything, most people who remember him
do so from his 1962-70 CBS hour long run, but there is scant little of that to see.  And it's probably
mostly due to the usual problem--expensive MUSIC rights. He had musical guests (like the Supremes!)
on his hour long shows, but the 1/2 hrs. usually did not. And, unlike his contemporaries, Red SKelton
didn't do guest spots on other people's shows (with rare exception) and appear on talk shows. Many
of his 1/2 hr. b&w shows from the 50's are available and the last season of NBC 1/2 hr. shows is available.
One annoying thing is that dvd releases of Red Skelton material are often poor quality and overlap in
content all over the place.  Oh, well.  But I remember enjoying him every Tuesday night. I suppose
modern audiences would think he was just plain too silly, but we need more silliness nowadays, don't
we?

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #828 on: November 16, 2013, 10:06:07 AM »

Just my opinion, about Richard Chamberlain...somehow I've always had the impression that he was like one
of those stereotypical frat boy snobs you see in movies. That he felt the common folk were beneath him or
something. I don't know why, just an impression I'd always have. Maybe it came from him being gay and
having an air of "don'tgettooclose" that he projected...I don't know.  But I still kinda feel that way. Especially
when he did come out...wrote a book...and then said he didn't really think other gay actors should do it
as it might harm their careers. And Richard Chamberlain was on Will & Grace, too! In fact, didn't every
formerly closeted celebrity who came out appear on W&G, like George Takei?

Offline bentgyro

• Obsessed
« Reply #829 on: November 16, 2013, 01:57:59 PM »
I remember Red Skelton and I always thought him hilarious.
I also watched him movies.
I seem to remember that Vince Edwards and Richard Chamberlain had a falling out that they didn't mend.

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #830 on: November 16, 2013, 04:06:46 PM »
:D  Richard Chamberlin, it even looks like him?   Did you watch The Thorn Birds?

Nope, I was 14 when it was on, and most likely at that time had no interest in it.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #831 on: November 16, 2013, 06:03:54 PM »
I do indeed.

Back to the 60s, did anyone know that MY MOTHER, THE CAR was just released on DVD?

Hard to believe that Allen Burns and Chris Hayward created this one.

What on earth for?  ???  Probably the only thing worse was Me and the Chimp.  :D

Ann Sothern must have really needed the money. ...  8)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #832 on: November 16, 2013, 06:06:24 PM »
Age is no excuse for not knowing about hunky men, Chuck!  Before your time or NOT!

Certainly no excuse for not knowing Richard Chamberlain.

Restores Chuck's demerits. ...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #833 on: November 16, 2013, 06:10:53 PM »
Red Skelton is largely forgotten by modern audiences for whatever reason. Probably because he
mostly left the public eye when his last series went off the air in 1971. His show was on in various
incarnations over twenty years, but always ranked in the top ten--even the last year he was on CBS!

We always watched him when I was a kid.

I still remember Gertrude and Heathcliff, the two seagulls.  8)  :D

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #834 on: November 16, 2013, 06:24:29 PM »
Red Skelton has always been my most favorite comedian.
His humor was so funny and yet so gentle.
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #835 on: November 16, 2013, 06:44:33 PM »
Certainly no excuse for not knowing Richard Chamberlain.

Restores Chuck's demerits. ...

I reject your restoration.  So there!

If I had to think of a childhood crush from classic tv, this man was the winner.  ;D

Offline Ennis Del Mark

• Obsessed
  • The first sign of life in four years...
« Reply #836 on: November 16, 2013, 07:05:35 PM »
I also thought Russell Johnson was handsome.

My big heartthrobs were Robert Conrad and Ross Martin.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #837 on: November 17, 2013, 10:00:26 AM »
I still remember Gertrude and Heathcliff, the two seagulls.  8)  :D

Gertrude:  "Things nowadays are getting dangerous. You can't even be safe in the park.

Heathcliff: "I know what you mean. The other day I was in the park and asked for a cracker and I got a salted."

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #838 on: November 17, 2013, 10:25:38 AM »
I liked Red Skelton a lot.

There's a bridge across the Wabash River carrying US 50 in Vincennes IN, his home town, named in his honor.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline bubba

• Obsessed
  • love is a force of nature
« Reply #839 on: November 17, 2013, 01:13:10 PM »
Aww who doesn't like Red Skeleton!

Probably 90% of what is discussed in this thread, I never saw live, I was too young (and I am old  :D) but we catch it all in re-runs.  My daughter in law is a big I love Lucy Fan, she is 28.....  just like music, my son is a big John Lennon fan, sometimes I find it so hard to believe that John died before my son was even born!   He asked me one day "Mom where were you when you heard that news"?

So yea you gotta know the hunky men, all of them!   Which brings me to my next post, off to the movie thread!  :D

Oh and yea I always thought Richard Chamberlin was a bit stand offish, a bit full of himself, but it never put me off!      And see The Thorn Birds, read the book (anyone who hasn't) it's worth it.

There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why... I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?