The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Classic TV  (Read 450987 times)

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
Re: Classic TV
« Reply #1005 on: May 22, 2014, 09:38:30 PM »
I think I've mentioned this before, but my grandparents had an early version of a remote. It was tethered to the TV by a very ... long ... cord. You had to be careful not to trip over it when you walked across the living room!  :D

My Dad had one too. Notice I say my Dad, as we were not allowed to use it!!
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #1006 on: May 23, 2014, 03:19:37 AM »
I think I've mentioned this before, but my grandparents had an early version of a remote. It was tethered to the TV by a very ... long ... cord. You had to be careful not to trip over it when you walked across the living room!  :D

Our first VCR had that feature as well, something like this, with the remote on the left of the pic.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1007 on: May 23, 2014, 10:41:10 AM »

When I got my VCR they told me it was the first one with a wireless remote.

I look at that photo and remember how heavy my VCR was. TV's weigh less now than the VCR did!

People didn't believe me years later when I told them that blank tapes used to cost $20 apiece!
Now people don't even know what "blank tapes" mean!

Offline bubba

• Obsessed
  • love is a force of nature
« Reply #1008 on: May 23, 2014, 02:04:28 PM »
I remember renting the VCR and a half a dozen movies for the weekend and it cost a fortune!

My kids had the first Ghost Buster movie on VHS (when it came out) and it cost a bundle, friends of ours bought a copy from the video store  for them for Christmas and that thing was worth it's weight in gold! lol

We waited to see these TV shows (and movies) come on the television, it never even occurred to us that one day we could own them and watch them at our leisure.

And now even owning them is old news, thanks to PVR and Nefflix. 

The times they are a changing...
There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why... I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?

Offline bentgyro

• Obsessed
« Reply #1009 on: May 23, 2014, 02:46:16 PM »
You've heard the old jokes about the first remote controls being your kids, changing channels for the adults! :D :D

Offline bubba

• Obsessed
« Reply #1010 on: May 23, 2014, 05:00:22 PM »
You've heard the old jokes about the first remote controls being your kids, changing channels for the adults! :D :D

:D

There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why... I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #1011 on: May 26, 2014, 10:50:07 AM »
Maverick marathon on Cozi-TV today.  :D

Offline bubba

• Obsessed
« Reply #1012 on: May 26, 2014, 06:43:51 PM »
I don't think we have ever talked about SOAPS in Classic TV, have we?

Here is one of the greats who passed, I never watched this soap, but I remember him oddly enough (his character) and seems like he did quite a bit of other TV as well.

And I had no idea the two of them were married, I really like her.   Rest in peace, poor man..  beautiful family.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2639192/Christine-Baranskis-soap-opera-actor-husband-Matthew-Cowles-dies-age-69.html

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #1013 on: May 28, 2014, 12:32:26 AM »
i remember the remotes with cords as well.  i was going to say zenith, and it might have been, but it might also be that the zenith was that first wireless.

in any case, the tv console was a behemoth.
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #1014 on: May 28, 2014, 12:40:14 AM »
Sounds like the first cell phone we had in our car!  :D
i wonder if you had what we had, not exactly a cell phone, but a ship to shore phone.  my grade school dropout dad was such an integral part of his water treatment facility design and maintenance operation that he talked the bigwigs into getting him a ship to shore phone for his truck, which he had also had customized for his special equipment needs  it had a regular handset, but you talked to an operator to get a land line.
http://weburbanist.com/2012/09/18/remember-millions-of-mobile-phones-in-the-1960s-you-should/
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #1015 on: May 28, 2014, 06:59:59 AM »
i remember the remotes with cords as well.  i was going to say zenith, and it might have been, but it might also be that the zenith was that first wireless.

in any case, the tv console was a behemoth.

I think you might be right about Zenith, Jack. That was more or less our "family brand," and I'm pretty sure the set my grandparents had was a Zenith.

I still have a Zenith VCR that was purchased 30 years ago this year. Don't know if still works, though.  :-\

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #1016 on: May 28, 2014, 11:55:20 AM »
It's looking quite possible that I may be spending much of this summer in a Wagon Train retrospective. At some expense I just bought the first season on DVD, and so far I've watched the first three episodes (from what I can tell, the episodes are on the discs in broadcast order). These first season shows are older than I am, but I think the stories are good, and such guest performers! The series debut episode had Earnest Borgnine, episode two had Ricardo Montalban (I admit it took me a few minutes to recognize him, until I heard that unmistakeable voice), and episode three had Carolyn Jones, Michael Rennie, Claude Akins, and Jack Elam.

And then there is the little matter that I think Robert Horton as scout Flint McCullough was sex on a stick. ...  ::)

Best I can determine, Horton is still "with us" and will be 90 years old July 29 of this year.

Offline bubba

• Obsessed
« Reply #1017 on: May 28, 2014, 05:21:39 PM »
Hey I was hooked on Rifleman there for a while!  :D

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/showbiz/2014/05/21/orig-the-sixties-television-quiz.cnn.html

Name that '60s' TV show 

How well do you know your '60s' TV? See if you can name these famous TV shows from a few bars of their theme songs.

I missed one, they were actually too easy!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #1018 on: May 29, 2014, 07:36:56 AM »
Hey I was hooked on Rifleman there for a while!  :D

That was a good show, too. The Marx company even made a play set, with "character figures" of Lucas and Mark!  :D

Johnny Crawford grew up to be a hottie, and last I saw him a few months ago, doing commercials for a nostalgia channel, he was still an attractive man.  :)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1019 on: May 29, 2014, 12:15:35 PM »
It's looking quite possible that I may be spending much of this summer in a Wagon Train retrospective. At some expense I just bought the first season on DVD, and so far I've watched the first three episodes (from what I can tell, the episodes are on the discs in broadcast order).

Click this link and it'll list the episode order for you.

http://www.epguides.com/wagontrain/

I've been watching Combat.  I just started the third season. Lots of guest stars in that show, too.
(Ricardo Montalban, as a matter of fact.) Perhaps an effort to get some younger viewers, but this show
had young crooners of the time guest starring in it like Frankie Avalon, Tommy Sands and Bobby Rydell.
They also had people like Eddie Albert, Lee Marvin, Mickey Rooney, Frank Gorshin, Jeffrey Hunter and
Robert Culp.

There were four gay men in guest starring roles so far, too:  Tab Hunter, Sal Mineo, Roddy McDowall and
Ramon Novarro! (I understand Sal Mineo did three episodes and Ramon Novarro did two, though I've only
seen one of each of them so far.)

Being the nature of the show there's few women in it, although they do have some occasionally like
Claudine Longet and an upcoming one has Luise Rainer in it!

There are actors in it who were not famous at the time, but went on to greater fame. Robert Duvall appears
more than once. Ted Knight often appears as a German character. James Caan was in a very good episode.

Interestingly, there's been several episodes involving stories with children, a young girl or boy will be
the focus of the story. Some of those are quite good and others a bit cringeworthy.

As a 10-15+ year old I was never much interested in the World War II series of the sixties at that time, but
thanks to dvd and the retro channels I've really been enjoying Combat and 12 O'Clock High. I'd like to see
more than the handful of episodes I've seen of the 70's series Baa Baa Black Sheep, too, also known as
The Black Sheep Squadron.

Others that I remember were on, but don't know much about were The Rat Patrol and Garrison's Gorilla's.
Or was it "Guerilla's"?

As for the WWII comedies, I try to like McHale's Navy, but it just veers into complete imbecility to me most
of the time. Most of the others, like Operation Petticoat, Mister Roberts and The Wackiest Ship in the Army
(yes "Army"), all of which were based on films by the way, Mister Roberts was also a play, but weren't on
long enough to have a studied opinion.