The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Classic TV  (Read 453227 times)

Offline bubba

• Obsessed
  • love is a force of nature
Re: Classic TV
« Reply #1065 on: July 01, 2014, 11:27:16 AM »
Never saw Shawshank, but I'll never forget James Whitmore in the one-man shows Will Rogers Tonight and Give 'Em Hell, Harry (as President Harry S Truman). He was a really great character actor. I don't think they make 'em like that anymore.

It seems very, very odd to me that I never knew Patricia Blair did a role on The Rifleman. Now I'd really like to see her Rifleman episodes. I really only knew her as Rebecca Boone. But it wouldn't surprise me if her role on The Rifleman is what gave somebody the idea to offer her the role of Rebecca. Something I read yesterday described her Rifleman character as "spunky," and you could say the same about Rebecca, at least in the early years of Daniel Boone. By the later seasons she was often not much more than a walk-on--walk on at the beginning, send Daniel and this then-current sidekick off on some adventure, and walk on again at the end of the episode.

She was in 22 episodes apparently!

Television

"The Dennis O'Keefe Show", 1 episode (10 May 1960)
    The Bob Cummings Show, 1 episode (1957)
    The Rifleman, 22 episodes (1958–1963)
    Tramp Ship, pilot (1961)
    The Virginian, 1 episode (1963)
    Perry Mason, 1 episode (1963)
    Bonanza, 1 episode (1964)
    Daniel Boone, 46 episodes (1964–1970)

There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why... I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #1066 on: July 01, 2014, 01:23:52 PM »
Television

"The Dennis O'Keefe Show", 1 episode (10 May 1960)
    The Bob Cummings Show, 1 episode (1957)
    The Rifleman, 22 episodes (1958–1963)
    Tramp Ship, pilot (1961)
    The Virginian, 1 episode (1963)
    Perry Mason, 1 episode (1963)
    Bonanza, 1 episode (1964)
    Daniel Boone, 46 episodes (1964–1970)

That episode count for Patricia Blair for Daniel Boone seems low to me, given that she was on the show for its entire six-season run. Some time I'd like to look into that, starting with how many episodes the Boone show did a season (I'll bet the number declined as the years passed). One reason why I prefer the first two seasons of the series is because you saw a lot more of Rebecca, Jemima, and Israel than in subsequent seasons (of course, Jemima disappeared after Season 2).

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #1067 on: July 02, 2014, 09:30:17 AM »
That episode count for Patricia Blair for Daniel Boone seems low to me, given that she was on the show for its entire six-season run. Some time I'd like to look into that, starting with how many episodes the Boone show did a season (I'll bet the number declined as the years passed). One reason why I prefer the first two seasons of the series is because you saw a lot more of Rebecca, Jemima, and Israel than in subsequent seasons (of course, Jemima disappeared after Season 2).

IMDb gives 118 as the Daniel Boone episode count for Patricia Blair, and that seems "more like it" to me.

Later yesterday I located an on-line episode guide to Daniel Boone; unfortunately, it only lists the "guests" who appeared in each episode, and not the "regulars." I might add that whoever wrote the episode descriptions was a bit sarcastic and sometimes downright vulgar in my opinion. There was one sarcastic reference to Perry Mason and Matlock not going back in time, and I noticed several descriptions of characters as "assclowns," whatever that is.

The episode descriptions at IMDb appear to list the "regulars" as well as the "guests" who appeared in each episode.

I am still somewhat in mourning for Patricia Blair. Had I known she was living relatively close to me, I would have attempted to locate an address and sent her a fan letter--and I hope she would have appreciated that. I can remember to this day always feeling a little bit let down if Rebecca did not appear in a particular Daniel Boone episode.

Offline bubba

• Obsessed
« Reply #1068 on: July 03, 2014, 08:56:31 AM »
Bob Hastings, best known for his role in the 1960s sitcom McHale's Navy, has died at 89.

Allison Knowles says her grandfather died Monday in his Burbank, California, home.

Hastings won fans on McHale's Navy as Lt. Carpenter, a bumbling yes-man. Other memorable roles were on All in the Family and General Hospital.

The Brooklyn-born Hastings began his career at age 11 on radio dramas.

He branched into TV in its infancy, snagging a role on Captain Video and His Video Rangers in 1949.

Other early acting jobs included a recurring role on the military comedy The Phil Silvers Show.

Later TV appearances included Ironside, The Dukes of Hazzard, Major Dad and Murder, She Wrote.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2678159/McHales-Navy-star-Bob-Hastings-dies-age-89.html#ixzz36Pwnppz5
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 09:58:11 PM by CellarDweller115 »
There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why... I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?

Offline carew28

• Virgin
« Reply #1069 on: July 05, 2014, 12:43:57 PM »
Well, here's a show I missed completely: The Quest.

It's only half-season was the fall of 1976. That was my first semester of college, and I wasn't watching too much television right then. Plus, I'd say it was doomed from the start, as a Western scheduled opposite Charlie's Angels.

But--holy smokes!--it had Kurt Russel and Tim Matheson as the stars!

I remember The Quest. I always hoped that in some episode Kurt and Tim would get into a fight, and have a wrestling match. Maybe if it had lasted longer on the air, they would have.  Actually, that would have been a prime topic for some fanfiction.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #1070 on: July 06, 2014, 01:42:13 PM »
Bob Hastings, best known for his role in the 1960s sitcom McHale's Navy, has died at 89.

There's a face I saw countless times on television, but I don't know that I ever knew his name.  :-\
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 09:58:24 PM by CellarDweller115 »

Offline bubba

• Obsessed
« Reply #1071 on: July 07, 2014, 02:46:52 PM »
I know me too, it was like "I know that guy"!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #1072 on: July 16, 2014, 07:37:50 AM »
Word of advice: Do not go searching for your favorite old cartoons on Youtube late in the evening. You just might find them, and then you'll never get to bed at a decent hour.  8)  :P

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #1073 on: July 17, 2014, 10:02:34 AM »
Word of advice: Do not go searching for your favorite old cartoons on Youtube late in the evening. You just might find them, and then you'll never get to bed at a decent hour.  8)  :P
its called the youtube rabbit hole, and i am disastrously familiar with it.  tonight it was the 8 part special on the huge tsunami covering the south pacific, narrated largely by eyewitnesses and using almost exclusively their photography of the events.  maybe its because i have lived coastally for much of my life, but the ignorance about tsunami, and especially what it means when the tide suddenly goes WAY out, was startling.  it can also happen hopping from one dance routine to another.  i don't have to look for them, they come after me...
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #1074 on: July 17, 2014, 10:34:17 AM »
its called the youtube rabbit hole, and i am disastrously familiar with it.

I can say the same.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #1075 on: July 17, 2014, 10:45:41 AM »
i don't have to look for them, they come after me...

I am beginning to get that feeling, too, but, if I may say so, it's comforting to know my experience is not unique.

Offline bubba

• Obsessed
« Reply #1076 on: July 17, 2014, 03:57:04 PM »

Elaine Stritch – a showbiz survivor who at last became a household name in her 80s when she played Colleen Donaghy, the harridan mother of Alec Baldwin's Jack Donaghy, on TV's 30 Rock – died on Thursday at her home in Birmingham, Michigan, reports The New York Times. She was 89.

Only last year, in failing health, she left New York to return to her home state of Michigan to be near relatives, though in the days leading up to her departure from her luxury Carlyle Hotel residence, The Times chronicled her nearly every hiccup – she was such a fixture of the city. As it was, the newspaper noted, in 2003 the New York Landmarks Conservancy had declared her a Living Landmark.

And, just like the city, she was every bit as iconoclastic and unforgiving, to say nothing of boisterous. She was also nearly as famous for the roles she didn't keep as for the ones she did.

Stritch was the first Trixie when Jackie Gleason's The Honeymooners was about to launch (he fired her before airtime), and, years later, she claimed in her 2003 one-woman Broadway show, Elaine Stritch at Liberty, she blew her audition for a new NBC sitcom by dropping an expletive.

The role, that of Dorothy Zbornak on Golden Girls, instead went to Beatrice Arthur.

Broadway Baby

With a voice that was once compared to a car shifting gears without the clutch – and a presence likened to Godzilla in a stalled elevator – Stritch may have been an unlikely Broadway musical star, yet early in her career she understudied for the inimitable Ethel Merman in 1950's Call Me Madam.

In her own right – admittedly, there were dry periods – she went on to star in a 1952 revival of Pal Joey, Noël Coward's 1961 Sail Away, and the landmark 1970 Company, for which she copped a Tony and delivered her own signature song, Stephen Sondheim's paean to Manhattan's jaded upper crust, "The Ladies Who Lunch."

A strict Catholic, as well as the youngest of three girls and the only one to enter show business, Stritch spent 12 years at the Sacred Heart Catholic Girls School, and when she first came to New York, in 1944, she lived in a convent while taking drama classes.

"Let me tell you about those convents," she told PEOPLE in 1988, when she was kicking up dust playing a movie-star mother in Woody Allen's September. "Convent schools teach you to play against everything, which is what I'm still doing."

Married and Widowed

While studying acting at the New School in New York, she dated fellow student Marlon Brando, who "walked into a room and it was knockout time."

Stritch nearly married two other actors, Ben Gazzara and Gig Young, but, she admitted to PEOPLE, "I couldn't bring myself to marry outside the Catholic Church or tie the knot with a divorced man."

While in London in 1973, Stritch – then 47 – married American-born actor John Bay, then 45. It was his first marriage, too. "The word that applies to John is sweet," said Stritch, who, in 1982, the same year the couple returned to live in the U.S., lost him to a brain tumor.

There also was another love in her life: the bottle, despite finally having to go dry because of her diabetes. "Sure, I've gone on with a few drinks under my belt," she also told PEOPLE, "but I've always gone on."

No doubt, the same will hold true for her in the afterlife.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #1077 on: July 17, 2014, 04:41:48 PM »
I hope they dim the lights of Broadway for her. R.I.P.

Online killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #1078 on: July 17, 2014, 10:48:07 PM »

So very true!! However, I have discovered some amazing performers in my travels though YouTube!
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #1079 on: July 20, 2014, 01:15:56 PM »
Adios, Brett Maverick.

So long, Jim Rockford.

James Garner, 1928--2014.

:'(