The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Classic TV  (Read 200795 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
Re: Classic TV
« Reply #2085 on: June 11, 2019, 07:48:26 AM »
I guess you wouldn't exactly call Houston Knights a "classic" cop show; maybe it's just old (1987-1988).  :laugh:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston_Knights

I recently acquired the complete series on DVD. I didn't watch it back in its day, but I wanted to see it now because of my current obsession with Michael Pare.  ::)  :laugh:

I guess you can call me a lawbreaker, because the set is bootleg. You can easily tell the series had been videotaped at some point, and the DVDs were made from the tapes. On the discs I've played so far, I've seen snippets of commercials. The tapes were not from the first run (even though I guess you could do this in 1987-88; I got my first VCR in 1984, and it was a damn good one, too). In the episode I ran last night, I noticed the USA Network logo in the bottom right corner of the screen. Moreover, one disc had a promo for Cannon, a detective series that starred William Conrad that ran 1971-1976!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannon_(TV_series)

I guess Houston Knights is about a run-of-the-mill cop show for its day. The premise is downright silly: MP is a Chicago cop who gets sent off to Houston because he killed a mobster in Chicago and the mob put out a contract on him (you mean the mob was so stupid it couldn't trace him to Texas?). The music is kind of interesting, kind of Western blusey, I guess you might call it, with plenty of guitar and harmonica. I wasn't familiar with Michael Beck, who plays MP's Texas-born-and-bred partner, but I'd heard of him; I'm liking him in the role. Right now I'm running one episode on each disc just to make sure the discs play (the first one, with the premier episode, did not), and already MP and MB's constant fighting is getting a little old.

It's fun to see who pops up on these old shows besides the stars: Remember Dobbs, the bugler from F Troop :D  (James Hampton; https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0358996/)?

It's also fun to see those Reagan-era clothes, especially those yard-wide shoulder pads on the women.  ;D

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2086 on: June 11, 2019, 11:59:47 AM »
I guess you can call me a lawbreaker, because the set is bootleg.

There are so many shows out there, especially short-lived ones and ones with lots of music rights, that companies won't release, that I don't blame anyone for finding these shows from those who have them, and enjoying them. There's one show I so want to have and there's a place I can get all three seasons, and probably the only reason I haven't is that this particular offer is very pricey.

Of course, it's buyer beware with these things. You are taking a chance with quality, honesty, everything really. The only thing I have like this, so far, though I'm really tempted for so many things, is the documentary series from 1980 by Kevin Brownlow, titlked "Hollywood," which spotlights Hollywood's silent movie era.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #2087 on: July 22, 2019, 02:07:44 PM »
I just realized now I never got around to mentioning that the Wagon Train episode from July 13 was the Charles Laughton episode.

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #2088 on: August 04, 2019, 05:31:02 PM »
At my job we have a flat screen TV in the kitchen that we can watch during lunch.   The company doesn't pay for premium cable, so we don't have much of a selection,  but we have two networks that we always seem to watch.

The first is Laff, which has classic sitcoms on we've been watching "Grace Under Fire",  "Home Improvement", and "Night Court".

The other channel is Buzr, which shows old game shows.  We've been seeing "Classic Concentration", "Match Game", and other old shows, laughing at the clothes, the hairstyles, and talking about the amounts of the prizes, and how cheap everything was back then.  LOL

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #2089 on: August 04, 2019, 06:21:46 PM »
The first is Laff, which has classic sitcoms on we've been watching "Grace Under Fire",  "Home Improvement", and "Night Court".

I remember Night Court. I liked that.

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #2090 on: August 04, 2019, 07:07:35 PM »
I remember Night Court. I liked that.

I always liked  that show too.  I remember  when people started to say the show was cursed because the first two bailiffs died, both from lung cancer.

Online fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #2091 on: August 04, 2019, 07:40:13 PM »
John Larroquette and I were in the same class in grammar school in New Orleans, St Mary of the Angels.

We called him J B Larrycat.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #2092 on: August 04, 2019, 08:43:38 PM »
John Larroquette and I were in the same class in grammar school in New Orleans, St Mary of the Angels.

We called him J B Larrycat.

Really?  That's cool!

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2093 on: August 05, 2019, 01:27:00 PM »

Why did you call him that? I've always had an unexplained aversion to John Larroquette and thought he might be kind of unlikable. What did you think of him Fritz?  I was kind of not surprised when I was in Greenblatt's deli on Sunset once and I overheard some of the employees talking about him, they didn't really like him, and saying that he used to come in before he was successful and charge his orders and then he never would pay for them.  He IS in the new show Blood & Treasure I've been watching, though. Season finale tomorrow.

I often tune in to Buzzr, Chuck. I like game shows and it really is interesting to see them from 30-40 years ago! I saw a taping of the Match Game around 1980 or so. I remember sitting in the audience, but I don't remember anything else. Who were the six celebrities or anything. Gene Rayburn must've been there, right, but I really can't remember anything else about it.

Did you ever have a Gene Rayburn cocktail? One drink and your mind goes blank.

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #2094 on: August 05, 2019, 01:42:47 PM »

:laugh:

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #2095 on: August 05, 2019, 02:19:06 PM »
Why did you call him that? I've always had an unexplained aversion to John Larroquette and thought he might be kind of unlikable. What did you think of him Fritz?  I was kind of not surprised when I was in Greenblatt's deli on Sunset once and I overheard some of the employees talking about him, they didn't really like him, and saying that he used to come in before he was successful and charge his orders and then he never would pay for them.  He IS in the new show Blood & Treasure I've been watching, though. Season finale tomorrow.

He always seems to play arrogant people. I've wondered if he's that way in real life.

I often tune in to Buzzr, Chuck. I like game shows and it really is interesting to see them from 30-40 years ago! I saw a taping of the Match Game around 1980 or so. I remember sitting in the audience, but I don't remember anything else. Who were the six celebrities or anything. Gene Rayburn must've been there, right, but I really can't remember anything else about it.

Brett Somers Klugman, maybe?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brett_Somers

Online fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #2096 on: August 05, 2019, 02:40:00 PM »

It was just a variation on his name, following the same stress pattern. J.B. for John Bernard. He was always JB, never John or Johnny.

He was an attention grabber in elementary school, but I didn't find him objectionable. I ran into him on Canal Street a few times in subsequent years and we exchanged pleasantries, that was about it. Very much like a businessman. He attended my high school for a while but was kicked out (I forget the infraction), and graduated from public school.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2097 on: August 09, 2019, 10:23:52 AM »
He attended my high school for a while but was kicked out (I forget the infraction), and graduated from public school.

Probably wasn't paying his dues, heh!