The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What Are You Listening to Right Now? - Volume 5  (Read 318466 times)

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
Re: What Are You Listening to Right Now? - Volume 5
« Reply #1110 on: April 12, 2017, 08:37:52 PM »
I've been listening to two women back from the 80s, who were definitely not the usual dance/pop style I loved.   Still I enjoyed their music.

Eithne Pádraigín Ní Bhraonáin (anglicised as Enya Patricia Brennan; born 17 May 1961), better known professionally as Enya, is an Irish singer, songwriter, musician, and producer. Born into a musical family and raised in the Irish speaking area of Gweedore in County Donegal, Enya began her music career when she joined her family's Celtic band Clannad in 1980 on keyboards and backing vocals. She left in 1982 with their manager and producer Nicky Ryan to pursue a solo career, with Ryan's wife Roma Ryan as her lyricist. Enya developed her distinct sound over the following four years with multi-tracked vocals and keyboards with elements of new age, Celtic, classical, church, and folk music. She has sung in ten languages.

Enya's first projects as a solo artist included soundtrack work for The Frog Prince (1984) and the 1987 BBC documentary series The Celts, which was released as her debut album, Enya (1987). She signed with Warner Music UK which granted her considerable artistic freedom and minimal interference from the label. The commercial and critical success of Watermark (1988) propelled her to worldwide fame, helped by its international top 10 hit single, "Orinoco Flow". This was followed by the multi-million selling albums Shepherd Moons (1991), The Memory of Trees (1995) and A Day Without Rain (2000). Sales of the latter and its lead single, "Only Time", surged in the United States following its use in the media coverage of the 11 September attacks. Following Amarantine (2005) and And Winter Came... (2008), Enya took an extended break from music; she returned in 2012 and released Dark Sky Island (2015).

Enya hit the Billboard Hot 100 three times with her singles, but she was must successful on the Adult Contemporary chart.

Only Time  #1

Orinoco Flow (Sail Away) #7

White Is In The Winter Night #8

Amarantine #12

Wild Child #12

Trains & Winter Rains #27

Someone Said Goodbye #29

Caribbean Blue #29

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1111 on: April 12, 2017, 08:48:21 PM »
Barbara Trzetrzelewska, known simply as Basia (pronounced  Bah-sha), is a Polish singer-songwriter and record producer. She established a successful international recording career featuring characteristically Latin-flavoured jazz-pop crossover songs during the late 1980s and early 1990s and the late 2000s and 2010s, particularly in the United States, the United Kingdom, France, and Japan. She is noted for possessing a wide vocal range, approximately three octaves that span from contralto to soprano tessituras, as well as her singular jazz-influenced stylings and multi-layered harmonies.

Just like Enya, Basia hit the Billboard Hot 100 three times, but did much better on the Adult Contemporary chart.

Cruising For Bruising #5

A New Day For You #5

Promises #8

Baby You're Mine #18

Time And Tide #19

Offline gwyllion

• Backpacker
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Polite menace
    • AO3
« Reply #1112 on: April 13, 2017, 11:44:20 AM »
Nice, Chuck!

Thanks for the Basia rec. I like it!

I listen to Enya often in work.

And this woman, Tarja Turunen.
"You're a fucking lunatic and I like it." -Edward Teach

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
  • ...suspended above ordinary affairs...
« Reply #1113 on: April 22, 2017, 05:54:22 PM »
Bye, Felicia

"What a maroon."  Bugs Bunny

"I try to be good...I only manage it in streaks."

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1114 on: April 22, 2017, 08:25:57 PM »
I listen to Enya often in work.

And this woman, Tarja Turunen.

Very interesting, she has an opera suited voice, which doesn't match the music she sings to, but it works.  She reminds me of when I first heard Evanesence.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1115 on: April 22, 2017, 08:28:31 PM »
The Shins - Simple Song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyAJ4V06izg

Not the style of music I listen to, but I liked it!  Thanks for sharing!

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #1116 on: April 22, 2017, 09:35:18 PM »
Pentatonix cover of "Bohemian Rhapsody". Remember this is their voices only. They do all the guitars, percussion, bass and of course the singing.

https://youtu.be/ojRj2JK5oCI

This is from their new EP "Classics". PTX Vol. 4
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1117 on: April 30, 2017, 04:56:07 PM »
Bye, Felicia

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1118 on: May 21, 2017, 08:13:04 AM »
Bye, Felicia

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
Bye, Felicia

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1120 on: May 21, 2017, 10:11:18 AM »
I love Bonnie's story, such a "never give up" ending.

Raitt was born in Burbank, California. She is the daughter of the Broadway musical star John Raitt and his first wife, the pianist Marjorie Haydock, and was raised in the Quaker tradition.  She began playing guitar at Camp Regis-Apple Jack in Paul Smiths, NY, at an early age. Later she gained notice for her bottleneck-style guitar playing. Raitt says she played "a little at school and at [a summer] camp", Camp Regis-Applejack, in New York.

In the fall of 1970, while opening for Mississippi Fred McDowell at the Gaslight Cafe in New York, she was seen by a reporter from Newsweek, who began to spread the word about her performance. Scouts from major record companies were soon attending her shows to watch her play. She eventually accepted an offer from Warner Bros., which soon released her debut album, Bonnie Raitt, in 1971. The album was warmly received by the music press, with many writers praising her skills as an interpreter and as a bottleneck guitarist; at the time, few women in popular music had strong reputations as guitarists.

While admired by those who saw her perform, and respected by her peers, Raitt gained little public acclaim for her work. Her critical stature continued to grow but record sales remained modest.  After the release of a number of albums, Warner Bros. dropped Raitt from their roster in 1983.

Raitt's management, Gold Mountain, approached numerous labels about a new record deal, and she was signed to Capitol by a&r executive Tim Devine. At Capitol, after nearly 20 years, Raitt achieved belated commercial success with her tenth album, Nick of Time. Released in the spring of 1989, Nick of Time went to #1 on the Billboard Hot 200 Album chart following Raitt's Grammy sweep in early 1990. This album has been voted number 230 in the Rolling Stone list of 500 Greatest Albums of All Time. Raitt herself pointed out that her 10th try was "my first sober album." 

The single "Have A Heart" got to #3 on the Adult Contemporary chart, and #49 on the Billboard Hot 100.  "Thing Called Love" didn't crack the Hot 100, but the video got heavy rotation on MTV and VH-1.

Raitt followed up this success with three more Grammy Awards for her 1991 album Luck of the Draw which sold nearly 8 million copies in the United States. Luck of the Draw gave Raitt her first hit singles.  "I Can't Make You Love Me" got to #18 on the Billboard Hot 100.  "Something To Talk About" did even better, getting to #5 on that same chart. 

Three years later, in 1994, she added two more Grammys with her album Longing in Their Hearts, her second no. 1 album. Both of these albums were multi-platinum successes.  Longing In Their Hearts gave Raitt another Top 20 single to her credit, as "Love Sneaking Up On You" climbed to #19 on the Hot 100 chart.

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1121 on: May 21, 2017, 03:14:20 PM »
I knew she was a twenty year "overnight" success, but didn't know the details - thanks, Chuck  :)
Bye, Felicia

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1122 on: May 21, 2017, 03:23:24 PM »
i've admitted to guilty pleasures in the movie (The Sandpiper) and in what in the world threads (a little coffee w/my sugar)...for music it's Shania Twain, but not the slow, sappy ones  ::)

Shania Twain - Man! I Feel Like A Woman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJL4UGSbeFg

« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 03:37:42 PM by morrobay »
Bye, Felicia

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1123 on: May 21, 2017, 03:25:47 PM »
Shania Twain - That Don't Impress Me Much
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqFLXayD6e8
Bye, Felicia

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1124 on: May 21, 2017, 03:50:11 PM »
:laugh:

I like Shania as well, including the slow, sappy ones!  I remember being a party years  ago, and  "Man!  I Feel  Like A Woman" came on, and I was bobbing my head and lip synching along.   One of my friends said:  "Chuck  you were singing that  song  HARD!"

lol