The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What Are You Listening to Right Now? - Volume 5  (Read 314409 times)

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
Re: What Are You Listening to Right Now? - Volume 5
« Reply #1470 on: September 15, 2019, 07:14:09 PM »
Ric Ocasek, The Cars Frontman, Dies at 75

Ric Ocasek, frontman of the popular late 1970s and 1980s band the Cars, was found dead in his New York home on Sunday. He was 75.  The NYPD confirmed that he was found dead after they received a call for an unconscious male at his townhouse. Emergency services pronounced him dead at the scene.   The Cars and Ocasek were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2018.

With a sound that melded new wave and rock, the Cars had 13 top-40 singles including “Just What I Needed,” “Good Times Roll,” and “You’re All I’ve Got Tonight.”

After The Cars broke up in 1988, he went on to produce numerous albums for bands including Bad Brains, Weezer, Guided by Voices, Bad Religion and Nada Surf. He released seven solo albums, but none had the impact of the original Cars material.

Billboard Top 40 hits for The Cars.

Touch And Go - Peaked at #37 on 10.18.1980

My Best Friend's Girl - Peaked at #35 on 12.23.1978

Why Can't I Have You - Peaked at #33 on 3.30.1985

I'm Not The One - Peaked at #32 on 3.22.1986

Just What I Needed - Peaked at #27 on 9.16.1978

Hello Again - Peaked at #20 on 12.22.1984

You Are The Girl - Peaked at #17 on 10.24.1987

Let's Go - Peaked at #14 on 9.8.1979

Magic - Peaked at #12 on 7.7.1984

You Might Think - Peaked at #7 on 4.28.1984

Tonight She Comes - Peaked at #7 on 1.11.1986

Shake It Up - Peaked at #4 on 2.27.1982

Drive - Peaked at #3 on 9.29.1984

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1471 on: September 16, 2019, 07:43:18 PM »
I've never seen Streisand perform! A friend has a few times, here and in Vegas. I have seen her in person a couple times, though. Once was when she and James Brolin were going to see a movie in Century City at the AMC Theatres.
Don't leave me hanging, Lyle!! What did your friend think of her concerts? And when was this, the 1994 tour, or more recent? Inquiring minds need to know! lol....also, how did she look in person?

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1472 on: September 17, 2019, 10:40:55 AM »

Jonn!  You really are a big fan!

I don't really know all the details of his Streisand concert events, it's all a blur over the years! I know he saw her in the 90's (it seems to me it was a New Year's Eve concert) and also more recently at the Staples Center.

He's a huge fan like you are, though, so I'll tell you this...he works at a high end Beverly Hills restaurant that lots of entertainment people frequent and a couple months ago the management informed him that a party of 4 was reserved the following week and he would be handling the table and it was Streisand. The management did this because they know how big a fan he is of hers and it's the only celebrity that would make him nervous and they wanted to see him squirm for a week. And he was nervous about it as he relayed to me quite a few times that week.

But he needn't have worried as he said it was fine and she was really nice. She was having dinner with Rebecca DeMornay and her husband, who I guess is an executive in the business in some capacity, and she was with Josh Brolin. (Not James.)

When I saw her at the AMC Theatres, a friend and I were there to see something, I don't recall it was very crowded at the time, and we noticed an AMC usher talking to a couple in front of one of the theatres and we noticed James Brolin first because Barbra did not look like "Barbra Streisand" right then, she looked like the Yenta character from Fiddler on the Roof! Really, like an old Jewish lady. I used to remember what movie that was playing they were going to see, but don't now...in any event the usher went in the theatre and came back out and said there wasn't really any seats for them...it was pretty full. Or something like that. Then they wandered back down the theatre hallway. Don't know if they went to see another film that was playing there or not.

In contrast to how we perceived her there in person, a few days later she was on Oprah "looking like Barbra Streisand." I recall David Letterman asking Cher once if she went out much and Cher said not as much as she used to. He asked why and she said "because I have to go out looking like 'Cher'." She talked about how long it takes to get made up and what she has to wear and such. People expect her to look like "Cher". Makes a lot of sense!

This was around the time that James Brolin was playing Reagan in the TV miniseries, so around 2003.

I used to frequent that AMC Theatre complex almost every week for around twenty years and saw a few celebrities there on occasion. (I usually went in the afternoons or early evenings.) On one particularly crowded Saturday I once saw Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell go into a theatre and when I was leaving I saw Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman there.
Twice I sat near Ed McMahon. I sat in front of him and his party when I saw As Good as It Gets and in the same row when I saw a John Goodman movie titled King Ralph!

Offline gwyllion

• Backpacker
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Polite menace
    • AO3
« Reply #1473 on: September 18, 2019, 04:08:09 AM »
The kid is driving cross-country from San Diego. Today, he made it to this village in Ooh-tah where the roofs are thatched with gold...

"You're a fucking lunatic and I like it." -Edward Teach

Offline BlueAmber63

• Striped socks and dusty shoes
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1474 on: September 18, 2019, 04:16:31 PM »
                                                      ^^^^

Heard nothing in the UK about the death of Ric Ocasek of "The Cars". :(
R.I.P. Ric.
When ever I hear the song "Drive" ...it instantly takes me back to *Live Aid*.
I watched the whole thing from start to finish. In the breaks they played
the song "Drive" whilst showing the heartbreaking pictures of the misery
in Africa. The one which has always stayed in my memory is of pathetically
thin tiny child ....lying on the ground trying to cover herself with a small
piece of rag...as a blanket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k1rxUnh99A
Wanting him to come back... before anyone notices
part of the world has not moved...since he left.

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #1475 on: September 26, 2019, 10:52:05 AM »

Paul Badura-Skoda, excellent Austrian pianist, passed away today at age 91.

Here's his fabulous yet simple rendering of a famous Schubert piano piece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InAs5Q8S70M

WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #1476 on: October 26, 2019, 12:09:19 AM »
Pentatonix hits another one out of the park with a new cover.

God Only Knows

https://youtu.be/SOaukqq9cIQ
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #1477 on: November 03, 2019, 01:59:28 PM »
Yesterday afternoon:  Mendelssohn's "Reformation" Symphony (Symphony #5). This afternoon: A collectgion of hymn settings by Ralph Vaughn Williams.

Offline foreverinawe

• Expert
  • An ant, crawling across infinity
« Reply #1478 on: December 02, 2019, 06:46:10 AM »
hr-sinfonieorchester

The whut?

It’s the symphony orchestra of Frankfurt’s public TV station. Not many public TV stations have their own orchestra, but here is one, and it is astounding. Not because it’s as good as “the big boys” (Berlin, Vienna, London, Concertgebouw, NY Phil.)  but because it’s better.

Better sound (incredibly good on youtube), better venue (gorgeous!), better soloists (no doubt inspired by) better conductors, better interpretations (institutional hallmarks), better oeuvre (Bach to Bartok). It’s famous in Germany, but not so much in the U.S., although they have toured here

Enough talk. Please listen to Dvorak’s 8th symphony, conducted by Manfred Honeck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXAv-NGppFw&t=7s

The comments are worth reading, too.

~~~fia
And why are we shown this trivial detail? Because that truck carries the most important cargo of our puny lives:  love and hope.

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #1479 on: December 02, 2019, 09:48:04 AM »
This is just beautiful and amazing! Do rich and full and draws one in!

Thanks for posting!
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1480 on: December 03, 2019, 04:41:40 PM »

A great classic of French chanson

Gérard Manset, "Il voyage en solitaire" (1975)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vYsueL46oA
WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1481 on: December 03, 2019, 04:42:41 PM »
WISE UP

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1482 on: December 03, 2019, 04:43:47 PM »

And here's a cover by genius Alain Bashung:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCSgJabkiO8
WISE UP

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1483 on: December 07, 2019, 12:18:14 PM »
I posted about some holiday music I've been listening to on the Holiday thread.
On this page:

https://ultimatebrokebackforum.com/index.php?topic=31782.1665

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #1484 on: December 10, 2019, 05:04:54 PM »

Roxette Singer Marie Fredriksson Dies at 61

Marie Fredriksson was a Swedish pop singer, songwriter, pianist and painter, known for forming pop rock duo Roxette in 1986 alongside Per Gessle. The duo achieved international success in the late-1980s and early-1990s with their albums Look Sharp! (1988) and Joyride (1991), and had six top two hits on the Billboard Hot 100: "The Look", "Listen to Your Heart", "Dangerous", "It Must Have Been Love", "Joyride" and "Fading Like a Flower (Every Time You Leave)".

In 2002, after fainting at home, Fredriksson was diagnosed with a brain tumour. During her rehabilitation, she continued to record music as a solo artist, resulting in The Change in 2004 and Min bäste vän in 2006, as well as the non-album single "Där du andas" in 2008—her first solo number one single in Sweden. She and Gessle later reunited to record more albums as Roxette, who embarked on a worldwide concert tour. She also continued to record as a solo artist in her native Sweden, releasing Nu! in 2013.

Fredriksson died on 9 December 2019 in Djursholm, Sweden at the age of 61 from complications from a brain tumor.

Billboard Top 40 hits for Roxette.

Church Of Your Heart - Peaked at #36 on 4.4.1992

Spending My Time - Peaked at #32 on 1.4.1992

Dressed For Success - Peaked at #14 on 7.29.1989

Fading Like A Flower (Every Time You Leave) - Peaked at #2 on 8.31.1991

Dangerous - Peaked at #2 on 3.3.1990

Joyride -  Peaked at #1 on 5.11.1991

The Look -  Peaked at #1 on 4.8.1989

Listen To Your Heart -  Peaked at #1 on 11.4.1989

It Must Have Been Love (From "Pretty Woman") - Peaked at #1 on 6.16.1990