The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Daily Sheet July - August 2013  (Read 29492 times)

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
The Daily Sheet July - August 2013
« on: July 01, 2013, 10:46:16 PM »

Tuesday, July 2nd, 2013

TDS Commemorates Pride Month

Yes, it's officially July, but since I missed the first Tuesday in June due to the Boston AIDS Walk, and with the recent SCOTUS decisions on DOMA and Prop 8, it felt right to extend the pride celebrations by one  more week.

Question Of The Week

Last Week's Question: What Greek poet's home gave rise to the modern use of the word "lesbian"?

Many of you answered this question, all correctly.   Sappho was a resident of the island of Lesbos in the Aegean Sea. She lived around 600 BC and wrote passionate poems about her love for women.  The word 'lesbian' this came to describe a homosexual woman.  Unfortunately, most of Sappho's work has been destroyed.

This Week's Question:   What classic Hollywood actor was fired from MGM for his refusal to deny his sexuality and his refusal to leave his partner?

DOMA Overturned

The Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA - enacted September 21, 1996) is a United States federal law that allows states to refuse to recognize same-sex marriages performed under the laws of other states.  DOMA, in conjunction with other statutes, had also effectively barred same-sex married couples from being recognized as "spouses" for purposes of federal laws, or receiving federal marriage benefits.

On June 26th, the Supreme Court announced that it found parts of DOMA unconstitutional, and it was invalidated.   Democrats are now moving forward for a full repeal of DOMA.

Supreme Court DOMA Decision

Proposition 8 Overturned

Proposition 8 (known informally as Prop 8) was a California ballot proposition and a state constitutional amendment passed in the November 2008 California state elections. The proposition was created by opponents of same-sex marriage in advance of the California Supreme Court's May 2008 ruling which legalized same-sex marriage, overriding the statute (Proposition 22 in 2000) by ruling it unconstitutional.

When Prop 8 passed, some gay couples had already wed, so it led to extreme confusion with how those marriages would be handled.

On June 26th the Supreme Court overturned Prop 8, and California Gov. Jerry Brown's office issued a letter stating that gay marriages can begin right away.

Gov. Brown's letter    

Rough Road Ahead for Same-Sex Marriage Opponents

With the recent successes for the gay community with the Supreme Court, social conservatives are now wondering if they are fighting a losing battle.  With the decisions on DOMA and Prop 8, The Supreme Court showed that it stands with the White House and the belief that gay couples deserve the same treatment as straight couples.

The Catholic church finds itself in uncertain territories.  Bishops in red states are comfortable with their fight, believing they have many who are on their sides.  Bishops in blue states are seeing themselves in a losing battle as polls continue to rise in support for gay marriage.  As for Bishops in states where gay marriage is already legal, the decisions have made them feel that they have no choice but to admit defeat and move on, as the SCOTUS (Supreme Court of the United States) has sided in favor of gay marriage.

There is also speculation among social conservatives that the SCOTUS bowed to "political correctness".  They state that the court has had only two appointments under Obama, the liberal judges Sotomayer and Kagan, and they replaced two liberal judges, so the court's make up has not changed.  However, the public shift in favor of same-sex marriage may have influenced the court's decision in the minds of opponents  who wanted to keep marriage between a man and woman.

Rough Road Ahead for Same-Sex Marriage Opponents

"Same Love" Surges after Supreme Court Decisions

It appears the time is right for the first ever song about gay marriage to hit the Top 20.  While "Same Love" is not there yet, in the wake of the DOMA and Prop 8 decisions, airplay for "Same Love" surges, and the song climbs to #28 on the Billboard Hot 100 songs.

In response to the decisions, Macklemore issued a statement that reads (in part):

"Today is a historic day for civil rights in America.  By declaring DOMA unconstitutional, the Supreme Court has stated that the U.S. government can no longer deny federal benefits to same sex couples. This means that people like my uncles, who have been in a committed relationship for over 20 years, will now receive the same rights that my parents have."

Macklemore praises rulings

Macklemore ~ Same Love

Movie Spotlight

8: The Mormon Proposition is an American documentary that examines The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) and its support of California Proposition 8, stating that the church has been actively involved in the denial of LGBT human rights. The film was written by Reed Cowan, directed by Cowan and Steven Greenstreet, and narrated by Dustin Lance Black. It was released on June 18, 2010 by Red Flag Releasing (RFR).

Director Reed Cowan, who is a former Mormon missionary, "planned on making a film about gay teen homelessness and suicide in Utah, but switched his focus to Mormon ideology because of how it contributes to the homophobia that causes these problems".  The film focuses on the wealth and power of the The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and how the Church uses the National Organization for Marriage to advocate for denial of rights to lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) Americans. It states that LDS Church leader Thomas S. Monson asked to ensure the passage of the controversial California Proposition 8. It also states that many homeless people in Utah are LGBT teens who were abandoned by their Mormon parents.

According to the New York Times, the film "uncovers the classified church documents and the largely concealed money trail of Mormon contributions that paid for a high-powered campaign to pass Proposition 8", noting that "Mormons raised an estimated $22 million for the cause."

The Los Angeles Times says the film is "An outstanding and urgent example of the investigative documentary" that "is all the scarier for its straightforward presentation of how the LDS Church succeeded in getting California's Proposition 8 on the ballot in 2008 and then getting it passed. As an exposé, there could hardly be a stronger case for ensuring and strengthening the separation of church and state".

8:  The Mormon Proposition

If you would like to discuss this film, come to the Gay Cinema thread.

Gay Cinema

Book Spotlight

First comes love, then comes marriage unless, of course, you're gay. But when San Francisco's mayor, Gavin Newsom, ordered City Hall to begin issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples on February 12th, 2004, thousands of gays and lesbians from around the world lined up to take their vows, inspiring other cities to follow suit. As intense public debate continues, We Do is an intimate portrait of these history-making weddings. A many-splendored thing, love is captured here in all its joy and diversity. Drawing on ceremonies from around the country, here are weddings both traditional and unconventional, whether the brides and grooms are in flowing white gowns, business suits, or blue jeans. The result is a touching album of happy couples, from the two lesbians who've been together 51 years to dads with babes in arms. A joyful celebration, We Do stands witness to the fact that we are all created equal in love.

You can buy the book here:

We Do

Brokeback related performances/showings

5th Anniversary All Star Gala  -  July 12, 2013 - The Marines' Memorial Theater  - 609 Sutter Street, San Francisco, CA 94108,

Presenting:  Hollywood Knights Tribute to Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly & Gregory Hines set to Rachmaninov  / Beyond Brokeback - Tribute to the most romantic movie of ”our time” /  On Broadway - Featuring the best male dance moments of Broadway / NutcrackOr “Sneak Peek”  -of our Dec. 20th World Premiere

http://www.mandance.org/season/summer/

Photo Captions

Marc was inspired by a recent re-post of an older pic of Jake Gyllenhaal.

Pardon me while I take off my clothes.  Won't be a minute.  

It'll take a little longer than normal, because I'm wearing underwear today.

Hope you won't have a problem with that.

Photo Captions

06/19/2013 - UK Brokie Gathering

(left to right)

IngmarNiceBbMt (Ing), Trigger_Hippie (Nick), Rob In Puyallup (Rob) Clifton, John (non-Brokie friends from another forum), Mr S (Ing's partner), Cally (Sara), Juliane (non-Brokie friend)

To see all these fantasic shots, just click the link below.

The Forum Meetings/Reunions/Visits Pics Thread IV

NYC Pride pics

I had a great time at the NYC Pride March, and took a ton of pics that are now posted on the "Life Through The Lens" thread.  Click the link below to see them all.

Life Through The Lens 7 - Sharing Your Photos & Your Talent

2013 Brokie Gatherings!

Interested in attending a Brokie gathering?  Click on the links below to go to the threads for these events to see the specifics.  As dates get closer, coverage will get more detailed.

Brokie gathering in NYC - July 12th & 13th

Contributors: Marc, Cally, CellarDweller

The Daily Sheet is a production of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum at www.davecullen.com/forum.

Today's edition by CellarDweller115

Editors emeritae: CactusGal, Marge_Innavera, tellyouwhat, Stilllearning, MissYouSoMuch, gnash

We count on you to send us your news items, questions, and nominations for posts of the day.
If you have items you’d like to see published, send them to CellarDweller115.

To subscribe to The Daily Sheet, click the “Notify” button at the top or bottom of the page.
When a new issue of TDS is posted, you will be notified by e-mail.

The Daily Sheet Archives
Respond to The Daily Sheet
[/quote]
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 11:06:57 PM by killersmom »
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
Re: The Daily Sheet July - August 2013
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 07:10:39 PM »

Tuesday, July 9th, 2013

Setback For Transgender Rights Bill

It has been a long, 8 year road that Bill C-279 has been traveling, and the road just got longer.

Bill C-279 is a Canadian bill that was presented in an effort to give more protections to transgendered and gender variant Canadians.  The bill was written to include transgender and gender variant Canadians in the Canadian Human Rights Act.  It would also work to protect them against discrimination.   Finally, when the proposed bill becomes law it would also prohibit hate speech or the incitement of genocide on the basis of gender identity in the Criminal Code.

The House of Commons passed the bill on March 20, whereupon it went on to the Canadian Senate, but the bill failed to make it to the final vote before summer recess began. 

The bill is sometimes (mockingly) called "The Bathroom Bill", as opponents claim the main goal of the bill is to allow transgendered men to use the women's bathroom.

Setback For Transgender Rights Bill

Other Cases Using The Gay Marriage Ruling

When the Supreme Court struck down part of an anti-gay marriage law, Justice Anthony Kennedy took pains in his majority opinion to say the ruling applied only to legally married same-sex couples seeking benefits from the federal government.   However, other cases for gay marriages in other states are taking his words to use them in their own court battles.

Jon Davidson (legal director of the gay rights group Lambda Legal) has said: "It's stigmatizing and it's harmful to people and particularly harmful to children when their parents' relationship is treated as inferior by the government. Those points are points we will be making in all of our marriage cases."

Same-sex marriage is legal, or soon will be, in 13 states and the District of Columbia, representing about 30% of the U.S. population. The states are: California, Connecticut, Delaware, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New York, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington.  Federal challenges are popping up as well, in Nevada, Hawaii and Michigan, among other states.

Other Cases Using The Gay Marriage Ruling     

Green Card Issued After Same-Sex Marriage

Cathy Davis and Catriona Dowling are lesbian couple that married in 2012, but there was a snag.  Catriona (a Dublin resident) is also a naturalized US citizen.  Cathy is a Dublin citizen, but not a US citizen.  The pair met on a hiking trip in the Himalayas.

With DOMA (Defense of Marriage Act) beings struck down, Cathy Davis was able to get a green card, which made Davis is the first immigrant to become a permanent resident in the U.S. through marriage to her same-sex spouse according to the website americablog.com.  The couple have three adopted children.

Green Card Issued After Same-Sex Marriage

Alec Baldwin's Gay Bashing Tweet

George Stark (reporter with Daily Mail) reported erroneously that while attending James Gandolfini’s memorial service, Alec Baldwin's wife (Hilaria) was "tweeting" during the service.  This infuriated Baldwin, who replied with this tweet:

“[I’d] put my foot up your fucking ass, George Stark, but I’m sure you’d dig it too much. I’m gonna find you George Stark, you toxic little queen, and I’m gonna fuck you … up.  For all my followers and beyond to straighten out this fucking little bitch, George Stark.”

This resulted in calls for Capital One to drop Alec Baldwin as their spokesperson, and now Alec has issue an apology through Twitter that reads (in part): “as someone who fights against homophobia, I apologize … I would not advocate violence against someone for being gay and I hope that my friends at GLAAD and the gay community understand that my attack on Mr. Stark in no way was the result of homophobia.”

Baldwin later deactivated his ABFoundation Twitter account for which he sent the homophobic tweets from and told Vanity Fair he would “never” reactivate it again.

Alec Baldwin's Gay Bashing Tweet

Top 10 Firework Scene?

For the 4th of July, a movie blog listed their picks for the Top 10 Fireworks Sequences in film.  They opted to included Brokeback Mountain and had this to say:

Brokeback Mountain (2005). The scene isn’t on YouTube, so far as I can find, but the shot of Heath Ledger in his denim jacket, standing against the backdrop of nighttime fireworks, having just beaten up someone who called his sexuality into question, seems as iconic as anything else in the movie.

10 Best Fireworks Sequences

Question Of The Week

This Week's Question: What classic Hollywood actor was fired from MGM for his refusal to deny his sexuality and his refusal to leave his partner?

Charles William "Billy" Haines (January 2, 1900 – December 26, 1973), known professionally as William Haines, was an American film actor and interior designer.  Haines was discovered by a talent scout and signed with Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer in 1922. His career gained momentum when he was loaned out to Columbia Pictures where he received favorable reviews for his role in The Midnight Express. Haines returned to MGM and was cast in the 1926 film Brown of Harvard. The role solidified his screen persona as a wisecracking, arrogant leading man. By the end of the 1920s, Haines' had appeared in a string of successful films and was a popular box office draw.

On a trip to New York in 1926, Haines met James "Jimmie" Shields, possibly as a pick-up on the street.  Haines convinced Shields to move to Los Angeles, promising to get him work as an extra. The pair were soon living together and viewed themselves as a committed couple.  Haines' string of hits continued with Little Annie Rooney (1925) with Mary Pickford and Vola Vale, and Show People (1928), costarring Marion Davies.  Haines was a top-five box office star from 1928 to 1932.  He made a successful transition into sound films in the part-sound film Alias Jimmy Valentine (1928).  His first all-sound film, Navy Blues, was released the following year.  He starred in Way Out West in 1930.  The 1930 Quigley Poll, a survey of film exhibitors, listed Haines as the top box office attraction in the country.

In 1933,  Louis B. Mayer  (the studio head at MGM) delivered an ultimatum to Haines: choose between a sham marriage (also known as a "lavender marriage") or his relationship with Shields. Haines chose Shields and he was fired from MGM.

Haines and Shields began a successful dual career as interior designers and antique dealers. Among their early clients were friends such as Joan Crawford, Gloria Swanson, Carole Lombard, Marion Davies and George Cukor.  The couple finally settled in the Hollywood community of Brentwood and their business prospered until their retirement in the early 1970s, except for a brief interruption when Haines served in World War II.

The couple was together for 50 years, the relationship ending on December 26th, 1973, when Billy Haines died from lung cancer.   Soon afterward, Shields took an overdose of sleeping pills. He was found wearing Billy Haines' pajamas, and his suicide note read in part, "Goodbye to all of you who have tried so hard to comfort me in my loss of William Haines, whom I have been with since 1926. I now find it impossible to go it alone, I am much too lonely."

Brokeback related performances/showings

5th Anniversary All Star Gala  -  July 12, 2013 - The Marines' Memorial Theater  - 609 Sutter Street, San Francisco, CA 94108,

Presenting:  Hollywood Knights Tribute to Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly & Gregory Hines set to Rachmaninov  / Beyond Brokeback - Tribute to the most romantic movie of ”our time” /  On Broadway - Featuring the best male dance moments of Broadway / NutcrackOr “Sneak Peek”  -of our Dec. 20th World Premiere

http://www.mandance.org/season/summer/

Classic Independence Day Pictures

Lyle (Mooska) has continued his trend of finding great pictures of classic Hollywood stars and starlets celebrating the holidays.  His last set (posted in Fan Fair) are all themed for Memorial Day & Independence Day.  So stop on by and see images of Piper Laurie, Bettie Davis, Shirley Temple, Ann Miller, Rita Hayworth, and many others all decked out in stars & stripes, lighting fireworks, and celebrating the 4th of July or honoring those who we lost in war.   Click the link below to go to the start of the series.

Piper Laurie

Fan Fair

07/07/2013 - NYC Brokie Gathering

(left to right)

Meryl, CellarDweller (Chuck), Aloysius J. Gleek (John) LouiseV (Louise), sophytofu (Sophia) *picture taken by Monika*

2013 Brokie Gatherings!

Interested in attending a Brokie gathering?  Click on the links below to go to the threads for these events to see the specifics.  As dates get closer, coverage will get more detailed.

Brokie gathering in NYC - July 12th & 13th

Contributors: Lyle (Mooska), Cally, CellarDweller

The Daily Sheet is a production of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum at www.davecullen.com/forum.

Editors emeritae: CactusGal, Marge_Innavera, tellyouwhat, Stilllearning, MissYouSoMuch, gnash

We count on you to send us your news items, questions, and nominations for posts of the day.

To subscribe to The Daily Sheet, click the “Notify” button at the top or bottom of the page.

The Daily Sheet Archives
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 07:53:17 PM »

Tuesday, July 16th, 2013

To Get Married, They Left Ohio

Jim Obergefell, (right) and John Arthur have been partners for almost 21 years.  The couple had been though a lot together, but never had a ceremony, always saying that in their eyes, they were married.  That didn't stop Arthur’s aunt, Paulette Roberts, from getting ordained to perform weddings, hoping that one day she'd be able to perform theirs.

Later, Arthur developed amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or ALS, a progressive neurological disease that robs patients of their ability to walk, talk and eventually breathe.  

The day the Supreme Court struck down DOMA, they decided to get married, but had to deal with the logistics of getting Arthur (who is bedridden) to a state where gay marriage is legal, as well as the costs that came along with their situation.

Click the link below to read the article about their journey to their marriage day.

To get married, they left Ohio

Jazzie Collins, S.F. Transgender Activist, Dies

She was described as "fiery" and a "passionate advocate", and Jazzie Collins will be remembers by those she came into contact with as someone who fought for causes that affected her life and the lives of others: tenants' rights, workers' rights, transgender rights and aging and health issues, among others.

Jazzie was open and honest about her life, and that included her HIV + status.  She was 54 and her health was failing, but that has not been determined as the cause of her death.

Late last month, Ms. Collins was honored for her work at the Capitol in Sacramento by the California Legislative Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Caucus.

Born Sept. 24, 1958, in Memphis, in 1988 Jazzie moved to San Francisco in 1988, and became involved with development issues at the Plaza Hotel on Sixth Street in 2002.  A few years later she transitioned from male to female and worked with a wide range of community groups, and was a volunteer and organizer for Senior and Disability Action and vice chair of San Francisco's LGBT Aging Policy Taskforce at the time of her death.

Jazzie Collins, S.F. transgender activist, dies    

GOP Gay-Bashing in 2016

Texas Gov. Rick Perry has announced he will not seek reelection in 20104, fueling the stories that he will be running for president in 2016.  During his time as Governor of Texas, he was considered one of the more anti-gay governors in political history.

In 2003, Perry lambasted the U.S. Supreme Court for striking down the Texas sodomy ban, and all sodomy bans in the states.  In 2005, Perry championed a constitutional ban on gay marriage and civil unions, and signed it into law in a ceremony held in a church. During his 2012 presidential run he cruelly told a 14-year-old bisexual girl on the campaign trail that gays shouldn't serve in the military because "homosexuality is a sin," and he demeaned gay service members in a political attack ad that was the most parodied ad of the election season.

Other Republican possible presidential candidates are not any better.  With Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.), another 2016 potential presidential candidate, having suggested that legalizing marriage for gays and lesbians opens the door to polygamy and marriage to "non-humans,", NJ Gov. Chris Christie vetoing a gay marriage bill, and with Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), another 2016 hopeful, adamantly opposed to gay marriage or any laws protecting LGBT people, it so far looks like we can expect the same kind of gay-bashing in 2016 among GOP candidates that we saw in 2012.

GOP Gay-Bashing in 2016

HBO to Produce Documentary on Gay Marriage Legal Fight

HBO on Tuesday announced a documentary film project that will chronicle the court battle to overturn California’s ban on same-sex marriage.

HBO said that two directors, Ben Cotner and Ryan White, have for years had exclusive behind-the-scenes access to the legal team that argued the recent Supreme Court case over Proposition 8, a California ballot initiative that banned gay marriage in the state. The Supreme Court late last month declined to rule on the case, effectively ending the ban.

The still-untitled documentary will be completed by the end of the year and make its debut on HBO sometime next year. Michael Lombardo, HBO’s programming president, in a statement called the movie “the story of a modern-day American revolution” and said it was intended to be “the film of record on this landmark case.”

HBO to Produce Documentary on Gay Marriage Legal Fight

Anne Hathaway Joins Board of Public Theater

The Public Theater is the only theater in New York that produces Shakespeare and new work in equal measure.  In their mission statement, they state their dedication to achieving artistic excellence while developing an American theater that is accessible and relevant through productions of challenging new plays, musicals and innovative stagings of the classics..

7 women have recently been appointed to their board, one of them is Oscar winning actress Anne Hathaway.

Hathaway joins Candia Fisher, Debby Landesman, Barbara Manocherian, Audrey Wilf, Charlotte Relyea and Anne Clarke Wolff on the board.   The Public Theater has a 40-member board of trustees.

Anne Hathaway Joins Board of Public Theater

Steve Grand breaks out with 'All-American Boy'

In a week Steve Grand went from being an unknown to the latest viral celebrity  after uploading his first music video, “All-American Boy,” to YouTube.  Grand is 23 years old, and doesn't have a manager, publicist, label, or agent, but his video has gotten over 1.4 million views on YouTube.  On top of that, the song is about Grand's unrequited love - to another man.

Grand financed the video himself, even maxing out a credit card in the process. “I took everything I had, and everything I didn’t have, and made this video with that. There was no Plan B,” he said. “There was no going back.”

The video, which despite its polished look only cost $7,000, caught the attention of major outlets like BuzzFeed, Huffington Post, the Associated Press, Billboard, Slate and ABC's "Good Morning America," which interviewed the singer.

While Grand isn’t the first openly gay singer out there, his country-tinged song is widely gaining traction for its groundbreaking potential in a genre that has been particularly shy about breaking gay acts.

Steve Grand breaks out with 'All-American Boy'

Contributors: canmark, morrobay, Lyle (Mooska), CellarDweller

The Daily Sheet Archives
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 10:28:17 PM »

Tuesday, July 23rd, 2013

Queen Signs Final Approval of UK Same-Sex Marriage Bill

Queen Elizabeth II gave her approval to gay marriage, signing the Marriage (Same-Sex) Bill when it was placed in front of her, finalizing the process for same-sex marriage in the UK and Wales.  Gay marriages can start in 2014.

Some 54% of Britons are in favor of allowing same-sex couples to marry, according to a YouGov poll for the Sunday Times.  As a result, Britain has not seen the types of protests that France has.  In France the margins were much closer, and those who opposed marriage rights were also fighting adoption rights.

While there were no protests, there was still controversy over the decision, as those in the conservative party were not happy with the decision.  On top of that, an ally close to Prime Minister David Cameron reportedly called those who opposed the bill as "swivel-eyed loons".

Queen Signs Final Approval of UK Same-Sex Marriage Bill

Transgender Play Gets Attention

There's a new play that's getting attention in Pittsfield Ma, called "Southern Comfort", but it has nothing to do with liquor.

"Southern Comfort" is a musical produced by Robert DuSold and is centered around a group of transgendered friends living in rural Georgia.  When the play had a run-through in NYC, DuSold was worried that people would view it as a "freak show" or laugh at it.  However, he found that the stories of the characters touched the audience and his worries were unfounded.

The show stars “Smallville” and “Superman III” veteran Annette O’Toole (picture left) as Robert Eads, the bearded, cowboy-hat-wearing female-to-male transgender at the center of the story.

The show grapples with issues of prejudice and discrimination, the struggle for self-acceptance and the myriad medical dilemmas that transgender people must navigate. Yet the creators insist it’s a story about family.

Ticket's can be purchased at the link below.  

Barrington Stage Company Box Office  

Transgender Play Gets Attention    

GOP Stops Defending DOMA

The Republican party has spent over $3 million dollars defending DOMA (Defense of Marriage Act).   On June 26th, the Supreme Court ruled against both DOMA and Prop 8, and the Bipartisan Legal Advisory Group announced today it will stop defending the law in several ongoing court challenges.

Lawyers for the Republican-led House Bipartisan Legal Advisory Group announced that they were withdrawing their defense immediately, just under one month past the Supreme Court decisions.  The announcement came as part of BLAG's latest filing in a federal case from Massachusetts that challenges the constitutionality of the military's statutory definition of spouse as "a person of the opposite sex" in Title 38 of the U.S. Code.

Controlled by House Republican leadership, BLAG repeatedly came under fire for spending close to $3 million of taxpayer money defending DOMA and similar statutes in various federal court cases around the nation.

GOP Stops Defending Doma

Lesbian Couple Threatened

Susan Belyea and Karen Dubinsky are a lesbian couple living in Kingston, Ontario, Canada.   Recently they've received two hate letters from a religious group telling them (basically) to "move, or else."  The letters are signed "in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, our savior", and the group states in one of the letters they are interested in "removing the scourge of homosexuality in our city."

Belyea and Dubinsky have turned the letters over to the Kingston police, who are watching them and their property.  The second letter speaks of violent actions and guns.

As a followup, we had a group meeting yesterday on how best to deal with you. Some of our younger members want to have fun chasing ‘lesbos’. We have brought them BB guns and today they are doing target practice, so that they can hunt you down. It is regrettable that in Canada, real guns are hard to find, so BB it shall be. I can assure you BB pellets hurt!!'

The letters were reprinted in their entirety at the link below.

Lesbian Couple Threatened

TV's Best Gay Weddings

Couples have been getting married on TV for decades, and gay couples have been getting married as well.  Rumor has it that Mitch and Cam from Modern Family will be tying the knot in Season 5.

To commemorate the Supreme Court rulings on DOMA and Prop 8, Rolling Stone has compiled a list of the top gay weddings see on TV.  Shows like Rosanne, Friends, The Real L Word, and Queer As Folk are a few of the shows that made the list.

To see the complete list, click the link below.

TV's Best Gay Weddings

Top 10 Dumb Things Said About Gay Marriage

Over the years we've heard a number of stupid things said about gay marriage, by a number of different people.   Rolling Stone has put together their list of the Top 10 dumb things said about gay marriage.   We have comments from politicians, pageant contestants, preachers, and others, and comments range from "gay marriage being made of a man and a woman" to comments on natural disasters as punishments.

Just when you think you heard it all, there's another comment that's just as dumb, or maybe dumber.

Click the link below to see them all.

Top 10 Dumb Things Said About Gay Marriage

Brokeback Locations

DCF member OregonDoggie received the following email from Mouk regarding the flooding that has taken place in Canada, and how Brokeback locations are/may be affected.

Yes, recovery in Calgary has been impressive, quick and efficient. I was evacuated but the building suffered no damage, the water stopped a couple of blocks away...

Kananaskis has been devastated though. Upper Kananaskis Lake has not suffered (nasty washroom is still in the same place, wish a flood could have taken it away...) but Galatea is closed, I wonder if the Basque bridge survived. Hwy 66 to Elbow falls is still closed, I think Spray Lakes road has just reopened but I am scared to go and see what happened to the Dozy Embrace Campsite.... Moose Mountain remains suspended above ordinary affairs, I think the boys are safe up there this summer, Aguirre can't make it with the road being broken. Will have to shoot a few elks though and eat some sheep  as the Basque probably can't make it either...

Last night I was at a meeting on how to help the First Nations that were badly affected by the flood. Apparently people are sending too many soups and beans to their food bank and not enough fresh stuff. I almost choked when one of them said 'no more beans',and it was so hard not to respond 'too early in the summer to be sick of beans', lol

Life Through The Lens

FritzKep (Fritz) posted a series of pics taken of his garden.  You can see the series in the Life Through The Lens thread.

Life Through The Lens

Contributors: OregoneDoggie, Mouk, FritzKep, CellarDweller

The Daily Sheet Archives
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 07:52:05 PM »

Tuesday, July 30th, 2013

Archbishop Tutu Shows Support for GLBT People

A meeting regarding the UN-backed campaign in South Africa to promote gay rights took place recently, and one of the people involved is retired Archbishop Desmond Tutu.

Archbishop Tutu is a long-time supporter of gay rights, and at the event made the comparison of homophobia to racism.  He went on to say that he would never worship a God he considered homophobic, and would not enter a homophobic Heaven, saying he would "prefer to be in the other place."  Archbishop Tutu said the campaign against homophobia was similar to the campaign waged against racism in South Africa. "I am as passionate about this campaign as I ever was about apartheid. For me, it is at the same level," he added.

According to UN human rights chief Navi Pillay, same-sex relationships are legal in South Africa, however, it has some of the worst cases of homophobic violence.

Archbishop Tutu Shows Support for GLBT People

Anti-gay Violence in Montenegro

The former Yugoslav republic of Montenegro has put forth a bid to join the EU (European Union), but that bid may have been set back in a major way with a break of anti-gay violence.  A gay pride march was scheduled on Wednesday, and anti-gay protestors responded by throwing rocks at marchers while wearing masks to cover their identities.  They also shouted out "Kill the gays!"

Prime Minister Milo Djukanovic, a key backer of the bid to join the EU, told Parliament on Wednesday that his government “supports protection of human rights for all people without difference.”

A statement posted on the website of the U.S. Embassy in Podgorica, the Montenegrin capital, said the U.S. government “condemns the acts of violence and hateful language aimed at parade participants. We urge the government to take appropriate measures against those individuals responsible for such actions.”

Anti-gay Violence in Montenegro     

The Fall of the Western

In years past one genre that always seemed to have life and strength in the movie business was the Western.  This "Americana" genre created stars and many memorable cinematic moments.  However, in recent years, the western films that have been released have failed to generate any excitement in movie audiences.

The Lone Ranger is already considered a box-office disappointment, and recent films like Cowboys & Aliens and Jonah Hex are barely remembered by audiences.

Prestige movies like True Grit, Django Unchained and Brokeback Mountain have broken through to achieve critical acclaim, Oscars, and profits, but newer westerns aimed at wide audiences have not succeeded. 

The Fall of the Western

‘Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon’ Props On Display In NYC

New York’s Museum of the Moving Image is hosting a new exhibit called PERSOL MAGNIFICENT OBSESSIONS:  30 stories of craftsmanship in film.  They've opted to include props from two Chinese films, The Last Emperor and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.  On exhibit are Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon’s location scouting photos, behind-the-scenes diagrams, and a roomful of weapon props from the set; and of course, the chased-after treasure in the film—the Green Destiny sword.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is one of the most internationally acclaimed Chinese films ever made. It made a splash at the 2001 Oscars, earning four awards out of ten nominations.   

Over the last two decades, Lee has received international award nominations for various films, including The Wedding Banquet (1993), Eat Drink Man Woman (1994), Sense and Sensibility (1995), The Ice Storm (1997), Hulk (2003), Brokeback Mountain (2005), Lust, Caution (2007) and Life of Pi (2012).

‘Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon’ Props On Display In NYC

High School Coach Comes Out To His Players

Anthony Nicodemo has been coaching high school boys basketball for over 16 years, but was keeping a secret.

Nicodemo had no intentions of coming out when he arrived at Saunders High School in Yonkers, N.Y.  He was there to help a team that was struggling to win.  However, he decided that the time had come to stop conning himself and others around him, and he came out.

Joe Nolan, a player, recalled what happened in the moments after Nicodemo spoke.   “We just started talking and started applauding him,” Nolan said.  “He said, ‘Does any player want to speak,’ and I was the first one to jump up and start speaking for him.”

The team describes Nicodemo as a mentor and father figure, someone they can look up to.

High School Coach Comes Out To His Parents

Lesbian Couple Threatened - A Follow-Up

Last week TDS gave you the story of Susan Belyea and Karen Dubinsky, a lesbian couple living in Kingston, Ontario, Canada.   They began receiving hate letters from a religious group telling them (basically) to "move, or else."  The letters were signed "in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, our savior", and the group states in one of the letters they are interested in "removing the scourge of homosexuality in our city."

After that story ran on news outlets and went viral,  the couple has received another letter, a giant card from the community containing messages of love and support.

Outraged members of the community held two rallies to show their support and created a Facebook page called Kingston Loves The Queer Community to gather additional support from around the world. “It’s like a symphony of love here, it’s crazy,” said Belyea, who hasn’t received any additional threats since the last two.

Kingston police are looking to file hate-based charges against the still-unidentified sender, but recognize the situation as “a remote incident,” according to Mayor Mark Gerretsen.

Lesbian Couple Threatened - Follow-Up

The Places We've Been - Pictures from Abroad and Travelogues 

DejaVu (Debbie) posted a series of pics taken on a recent bus trip.  One of the stops along the way was the famous Frank Lloyd Wright house (above).  You can review the entire series at the link below, which will take you to her first image in the series.

Contributors: canmark, Cally, Deja Vu, CellarDweller

The Daily Sheet Archives
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 07:56:08 PM »

Tuesday, August 6th, 2013

Ohio Must Recognize Their Marriage

In the July 16th issue of TDS, we shared the story of John Arthur and James Obergefell.  The couple left Ohio to be married on the tarmac of an airport in Maryland.  While the couple didn't intend to marry until it was legal in all 50 states, Arthur developed Lou Gerhig's disease and together decided that since the Supreme Court ruled against DOMA, being married would allow Obergefell to receive surviving spouse benefits.

After the marriage it was discovered they would need to have a legal battle, as the cemetery that Arthur has a plot located at a cemetery that only allows descendants and spouses.

A federal judge in Ohio heard the case, and decided in favor of Arthur and Obergefell, saying that for this one case, the state of Ohio must recognize this out-of-state same-sex marriage.   This means they can both be buried in the family plot, side by side.

To quote Judge Timothy Black:  :Historically, Ohio law has recognized out-of-state marriages as valid as long as they were legal where they took place, such as marriages between cousins and involving minors.  How then can Ohio, especially given the historical status of Ohio law, single out same-sex marriages as ones it will not recognize?  The short answer is that Ohio cannot."

Ohio Must Recognize Their Marriage

Gay Olympian Against Sochi Games Boycott

February of 2014 marks the beginning of the Winter Games in Sochi, Russia.  While the start of any Olympics is generally celebrated, controversy is surrounding this Olympics, regarding gay athletes, reporters, photographers, and recent legislation passed in Russia banning homosexual “propaganda” in the presence of children, as well as the general abuse of GLBT people in Russia.

New Zealand speed skater Blake Skjellerup is gay and out, and fully intends to represent his country at the games, and to be very vocal about the treatment of GLBT people in Russia.

Skjellerup has teamed up with Athlete Ally, a U.S.-based nonprofit that promotes respect and acceptance of LGBT people, both inside and outside the sports world, and also opposes the boycott.   Their opinions on this matter is "Speak up, don't sit out".

For Skjellerup, the decision to speak out was easy. “I believe it’s the right thing to do,” he says. “These laws are in direct conflict with who I am. It all starts with awareness, which is what I bring, what Athlete Ally brings. I believe we will start a conversation, and we’ll let the people of Russia know that they’re not alone. That people are thinking of them. We support them in their human rights endeavors.”

Gay Olympian Against Sochi Games Boycott     

Raven-Symone Comes Out

Raven-Symone got her break in show business in 1989 when she got the part of "Olivia" on the successful series "The Cosby Show", and she played "Olivia" until the show concluded in 1992.  After that she became a "Disney Kid" and was the star of the hit Disney TV series "That's So Raven", which ran from 2003 to 2007.  She continued with Disney work, specifically The Cheetah Girls project.  She's also let her voice to numerous animated projects and has appeared on Disney albums.

On Friday, via a Tweet, Raven-Symone revealed that she is a lesbian:   “I am very happy that gay marriage is opening up around the country and is being accepted.  I was excited to hear today that more states legalized gay marriage.  I, however am not currently getting married, but it is great to know I can now, should I wish to,”

Raven-Symone Comes Out

Columbus Company Helps Transgender Worker Make Transition

It can be a shock, returning to the work place after an extended vacation.  Top brass for Resource (a Columbus marketing company) had no idea what surprise would be waiting for them.  An employee (Shelly Moss) approached HR director Jamie Barcelona & company founder Nancy Kramer to let them know she was transgender, and would be returning to work as Decker.

For decades, the marketing company has been in the forefront in dealing with such issues. Resource was one of the first in Ohio to offer same-sex partner benefits; and in 2007, Kramer testified in front of Congress in support of the Employment Non-Discrimination Act, or ENDA.  This revelation was entirely new ground, however, and Moss didn’t know if anyone had ever presented a similar case.

Decker Moss (pictured center) credits Nancy Kramer, left, and Jamie Barcelona for making his gender transition easier in the workplace. Transgender employees present unique issues for companies, Kramer and Barcelona said.

Columbus Company Helps Transgender Worker Make Transition

Gay Teacher Fired After Marrying Partner

A gay teacher at a Catholic high school in Glendora was fired after he married his partner and photos of the wedding were published in a local newspaper last month.  Ken Bencomo, 45, was fired from his teaching position at St. Lucy's Priory High School after he married his partner of 10 years, Christopher Persky. 

Officials at St. Lucy's Priory had been aware of Bencomo's sexual orientation for about 10 of the 17 years he was employed by the school, and on multiple occasions over the year, Bencomo has introduced Persky as his partner to administrators at school events.

In a statement released through an attorney, the school said it is "a community of faith for those who wish to express, practice and adhere to values in education based on the Roman Catholic tradition.  While the school does not discriminate against teachers or other school employees based on their private lifestyle choices, public displays of behavior that are directly contrary to church teachings are inconsistent with these values," the statement reads. "These values are incorporated into the contractual obligations of each of our instructors and other employees."

An online petition to reinstate Bencomo had garnered nearly 10,000 signatures by Thursday afternoon.

Gay Teacher Fired After Marrying Partner

Vulcan Celebrates 100 Years

The city of Vulcan, in Canada, is celebrating their centennial, and the opening of a Star Trek museum.  In the Star Trek franchise, Mr. Spock is a "Vulcan" and the city celebrates their connection to this pop culture movement that includes  various TV series, movies, and memorabilia.

The museum is opening with an exhibition called "Trekcetera", which will feature authentic costumes and props from the show.  The museum was slated to open in June, during Spock Days, but the unique displays weren’t quite right yet, needing inspection from CBS Studios.

Trekcetera is also home to some of southern Alberta’s film history, including items from Brokeback Mountain and the original Superman movie.

Vulcan Celebrates 100 Years

Gayest Season of America's Next Top Model

On Friday, August 9th, the newest season of America's Next Top Model has a two hour premier, and this season is being viewed as the 'gayest' yet.

In the past the show has featured lesbian cast members (and one transgendered member), but this season amps it up.   The season marks the first season that female and male models will be directly competing against each other.  We will be introduced to Cory, a 22-year-old gay man, described himself as being "very androgynous -- a little more feminine, a little more edgy."  and Virgg, a 19-year-old contestant, who announced early on that she was a transgender woman who had recently begun transitioning.

Virgg revealed that Tyra had chosen her specifically from an Instagram contest to be on the show. Virgg told the judges that the earlier participation of Isis King, ANTM's first transgender contestant, had been of great help during her school years.

Gayest Season of America's Next Top Model

Thread Spotlight Section

Not long ago a newspaper printed the following "description" of The Wizard Of Oz:

Since that printing occurred, the lines have been sent via email, appearing in signature lines, and even inspiring others to come up with their own descriptions of movies.   This is the subject of the newest thread here on DCF.  Called "Make Up Your Own Movie Descriptions", a number of members have posted to the thread, creating funny, sarcastic, or off-the-wall descriptions to popular movies like Dances With Wolves, My Fair Lady, Fatal Attraction, Gone With the Wind, and (of course) Brokeback Mountain.  If you would like to read the thread and join in the fun, just click the link below!

"Make Up Our Own Movie Descriptions "

Contributors: lislis, OilGun, BayCityJohn,  CellarDweller

The Daily Sheet Archives
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 01:53:00 AM »

Tuesday, August 13th, 2013

IOC & The Sochi Games

The IOC (International Olympic Committee) has been getting a lot of attention regarding the Olympics being held in Sochi, Russia.  Calls for a boycott and a change of venue have been in the news and all around the internet.   For those who aren't aware, Russia has enacted laws that are considered "anti-gay", specifically a recent law that targeted gay activism, which bans displaying "propaganda of nontraditional sexual relations” to minors.

Violence against the GLBT community in Russia has increased, and there are strong concerns about the safety of out athletes, reporters, coaches, and other members of the Olympic teams attending the event.

The IOC has issued a statement to Russia that states:  "The International Olympic Committee is clear that sport is a human right and should be available to all regardless of race, sex or sexual orientation as stated in the Olympic Charter. The Games themselves should be open to all, free of discrimination, and that applies to spectators, officials, media and, of course, athletes. We would oppose in the strongest terms any move that would jeopardise this principle."

IOC & the Sochi Games

From Beatniks to Gay Liberation: Allen Ginsberg & Queer San Francisco

(Taken from the Facebook page for this event)

What was the world that Allen Ginsberg inhabited in San Francisco in the 1950s? How did the then-lively gay scene in the North Beach neighborhood interact with the rest of the city? And what happened to that scene between Ginsberg's controversial public reading of "Howl" at the Six Gallery in 1955 and the dawn of the era of gay liberation?

By reading passages from biographies and memoirs of Ginsberg, Jack Spicer, Sam Steward, James Broughton and José Sarria, as well historical studies, Michael Flanagan will recreate a vibrant world that has disappeared and will tell the story of how bohemian and beat San Francisco blended -- and didn't blend -- into one another. Flanagan is a reference librarian, writer and independent scholar who lives in San Francisco. His talk is cosponsored by the Contemporary Jewish Museum

Admission: $5.00 (general); $3.00 (California students); free for GLBT Historical Society members.

GLBT Historical Society     

Obama's Statement About Russia

At a recent stop to The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, President Obama talked about Russia's anti-gay law.  “I’ve been very clear that when … you are discriminating on the basis of race, religion, gender or sexual orientation, you are violating the basic morality that I think should transcend every country,” Obama said, according to a transcript of the Tuesday night interview. “And I have no patience for countries that try to treat gays or lesbians or transgender persons in ways that intimidate them or are harmful to them.”

While most were happy with this support, the reception was mixed on his views on an Olympic boycott, which he spoke on at another event.   “I do not think it is appropriate to boycott the Olympics.  We’ve got a bunch of Americans out there who are training hard who are doing everything they can to succeed.”

He went on to say:   “One thing I’m really looking forward to is maybe some gay and lesbian athletes bringing home the gold or silver or bronze, which i think would go a long way in rejecting the kind of attitudes were seeing there. And if Russia doesn’t have gay or lesbian athletes, it’ll probably make their team weaker.”

Obama's Statement to Russia

Gay Marriage in Australia

Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd has issued a statement saying that if he is elected, he promises to act on bringing gay marriage to Australia within his first 100 days in office.

In May, Rudd publicly declared his support for marriage equality, saying: ‘I have come to the conclusion that church and state can have different positions and practices on the question of same sex marriage. I believe the secular Australian state should be able to recognize same sex marriage.’

Christian groups in Australia called Rudd's shift in opinion a betrayal to voters and a political mistake.  Recent polls in Australia reveal that over 35% of young voters have stated that where the candidate stands on gay marriage will decide how they vote in the upcoming election.

Gay Marriage in Australia

Peer Groups Stand Behind Bullied Philippines Transgender Beauty Queen

Francine Garcia, a transgender bearing a striking resemblance to popular Philippine actor Kim Chiu, won the Super Sireyna Queen of Queens 2013, a popular pageant for transgenders, on July 27, beating seven other finalists.

Her joy was short-lived, however, for not long after she was crowned, nude photographs surfaced, with people claiming they are of Francine Garcia.  Ms. Garcia claims she's never posed for pictures like this, and that the images are doctored fakes, posted by disgruntled contestants who felt they should've won the contest, not her.  A rumor also surfaced that Ms. Garcia was asked to turn in her crown, but no official statement from pageant officials could be found to verify that.

Four Philippine gay rights organizations have come forward to support Ms. Garcia, urging rights for her human rights and dignity.

Peer Groups Stand Behind Bullied Philippines Transgender Beauty Queen

Canada Floods & the Brokeback Locations

As Brokies we're all aware of Brokeback Mountain being shot in Canada, and many of us have been to the filming locations. 

We're also sadly aware of the recent floods that have hit Canada, and we were wondering about the state of those locations.  We now have some word.

Two Brokies (pictured left - SouthEndMD (Paul) & Sason (Sonja) went to the filming locations just a few weeks ago, and have given an encouraging update on the status of most of the sites.  However, two locations appear to have been lost, one to floods, and one to industrialization.  However, a memento left behind by yours truly at one of those sites was able to convince them they were at the right location.

Sonja posted their findings in The Diner, and I copied it to a thread called Movie Location Photos & Videos.  You can read her post there, as well as look at pictures and videos from various members who have made the pilgrimage too the filming locations.

Movie Location Photos & Videos

New Project for Ang Lee

Two-time Academy Award-winning director Ang Lee is getting ready to start a new project for Universal Studios.

The director will be creating a film about the world of boxing from the 1960s-1970s, focusing on its biggest rivalries and greatest fights. 

The film will be shot in 3-D, with a scrip written by Peter Morgan.  This film will also reunite Lee with long-time collaborator James Schamus.  Together they have created a long string of critically acclaimed films that include Eat Drink Man Woman, Sense And Sensibility, The Ice Storm, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Hulk and Brokeback Mountain.

While all of the bouts have not been confirmed, one that has is the showdown between Joe Frazier and Muhammad Ali that was called the Thrilla In Manila.

New Project for Ang Lee

Texas Anniversary!

August 11th, 12th, and 13th mark the seven year anniversary of the first "big" Forum Gathering, which was dubbed the "BBM Backyard BBQ".  With a guest list of 85 members from various states and countries, we all met face-to-face for the first time in Texas, in the back yard of KillersMom's (Linda's) backyard.

For any or all attendees, if you have memories you want to share, come join us in the "How The Forum Get Togethers Affected Me" thread, and share your funny stories, memories, and moments that made it so memorable for you.

"How The Forum Get Togethers Affected Me"

Photo Captions

Here's a new caption from George66.

Bobby: "Dad for the last time. Stop playing with my toys!"

george

"Photo Captioning Fun Vol 7"

Contributors: George66, KillersMom, CellarDweller

The Daily Sheet Archives
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 11:59:27 PM »

Tuesday, August 20th, 2013

IOC Sides with Russia

The IOC (International Olympic Committee) initially seemed to side with gay athletes, however, a recent statement from the IOC seems to indicate that they are now siding with Russia and their anti-gay propaganda law.

At first Russian officials stated that the laws would not be in effect for the games, meaning that any spectators, guests, athletes, reporters who are gay would be safe.  However, recent statements show that the laws will indeed be in effect during the games.  Once again, people turned to the IOC to determine what their stance would be, since athletes said they would be making statements, and wearing pride colors in protest of the country's laws.  The IOC released an official statement in response to this.

The IOC has a clear rule laid out in the Olympic Charter (Rule 50) which states that the venues of the Olympic Games are not a place for proactive political or religious demonstration. This rule has been in place for many years and applied when necessary.  No kind of demonstration or political, religious or racial propaganda is permitted in any Olympic sites, venues or other areas.

Many are taking this as a warning to gay athletes, not to "stir the pot" as the IOC will not protect them.

IOC Sides With Russia

USOC and the Sochi Games

The USOC  (United States Olympic Committee) has recently issued statements that shows them on both sides of the fence on the issue of Russia's anti-gay propaganda laws and the Sochi games.

The first statement was to denounce the law as “inconsistent with the fundamental principles of the Olympic and Paralympic movements”, however, they go on to ask their athletes to abide by it, saying:  “The athletes are always going into countries with laws different than his or her own country. They’re going to agree with those laws in some ways, they’re going to disagree with those laws in other ways.  It’s our strong desire that our athletes comply with the laws of every nation that we visit. This law is no different.”

There continue to be issues as athletes do what they can to make statements regarding the law, or the GLBT community in general.  This week marked the occurrence of the World Athletic Championships in Moscow, and U.S. mid-distance runner Nick Symmonds publicly dedicated his silver medal to his LGBT friends.  At least two Swedish athletes competed with rainbow-colored fingernails to protest the law.  The most visible protest came from Russian relay athletes Kseniya Ryzhova and Tatyana Firov, who while on the podium and wearing gold medal for the even they just won, kissed in front of everyone as a protest.

USOC and the Sochi Games     

Gay Couple Bashed in NYC

Michael Felenchak, 27, left, and Peter Norman, 53 were leaving a movie theater just after midnight, and decided to hold hands.  They were in the Chelsea area when they were verbally attacked by two men.  Words were exchanged, and the two men were suddenly joined by 4 more, and together those 6 men attacked Michael and Peter, bruising Peter's face and slashing Michaels lower lip, causing him to need 7 stitches.

The two men were taken to Bellevue for treatment, and police are looking for the group of 6 men.

The assault took place just two months after a spate of anti-gay attacks rocked Manhattan — a spree of violence that peaked with the May 17 shooting death of Mark Carson on W. Eighth St. in Greenwich Village.

Gay Couple Bashed in NYC

Another Military Gay Proposal

Machinist's Mate 2nd Class Jerrel Revels got on bended knee and proposed marriage to Dylan Kirchner after he stepped off the USS New Mexico in Connecticut from a six-month deployment.

The couple met last September, through mutual friends, and Kirchner said he had no idea that Revels was going to propose.   He went to meet Revels when he got home, and Revels dropped to one knee on the dock of the Naval Submarine Base New London surrounded by roughly 200 people.

The proposal comes approximately 18 months after DADT (Don't Ask, Don't Tell) was repealed, and about two months after the Supreme Court struck down a part of DOMA (Defense of Marriage Act) as unconstitutional.

Another Military Gay Proposal

Insanity's Shaun T Marries

Many people know Shaun T as the creator of the Insanity workout.  Many were surprised to find out that Shaun T is gay, and that last year he married his boyfriend Scott Blokker.

Shaun T's career began as a health and fitness specialist/personal trainer and health program manager at Wyeth, a multi-national pharmaceutical company. He also worked at a number of fitness chains, including Equinox Fitness.  Shaun began dancing in college, when, at 21, he was required to teach an aerobics class as a part of his Sports Science degree and became an aerobics instructor. After graduating from Rowan University, he moved to Los Angeles to work as a choreographer, dancer and trainer.  His first professional work as a dancer was for Mariah Carey. While Thompson was teaching a popular fitness class at Equinox Fitness, he was approached by representatives of Beachbody, LLC. and asked to submit a demo for a workout video.

Insanity's Shaun T. Marries

Wrestler Darren Young Comes Out

WWE (World Wrestling Entertainment) has their first out wrestler as star Darren Young comes out in an interview.

A videographer for the news/gossip organization TMZ approached Young as he was picking up his bags after a flight into LAX last Wednesday.  Looking for an interview, he asked Young if he felt that a gay wrestler would be successful in the WWE organization.  The cameraman got a big surprise with Young's reply.

"Absolutely.  Look at me. I'm a WWE Superstar and, to be honest with you, I'll tell you right now, I'm gay, and I'm happy. Very happy.  I guess if you want to call it 'coming out,' I really don't know what to say it is.  I'm just letting you know that I'm happy [with] who I am, I'm comfortable with myself, and I'm happy to be living the dream."

When the news was released, blogs of wrestlers and their fans became very active.  It's believed that Young is the first out/open WWE star.

Wrestler Darren Young Comes Out

Michelle Williams is a Louis Vuitton Woman

Actress Michelle Williams has been selected to be the newest ambassador for the products of designer Louis Vuitton.

Williams was selected due to her independent spirit with which she has forged her path through the Hollywood star system, defining herself by her outstanding talent, her passion for her craft, and her choice of daring and challenging roles.

Williams started as a TV actress on the teen drama Dawson's Creek, but got real attention for her role of Alma Del Mar in Ang Lee's Brokeback Mountain (2005).  She has since gone on to give outstanding performances in Synecdoche, New York (2008), Shutter Island (2010), and My Blue Valentine (2010). In 2011, her performance as Marilyn Monroe in My Week with Marilyn earned her a Golden Globe and her third Oscar nomination.

Michelle Williams is a Louis Vuitton Woman

Hollywood Costume exhibition in Virginia!

Nov 09, 2013 – Feb 17, 2014
Virginia Museum of Fine Arts

Organized by the Victoria & Albert Museum, London, Hollywood Costume explores the central role costume design plays in cinematic storytelling. Bringing together more than 100 of the most iconic movie costumes from across a century of filmmaking, it is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to see the clothes worn by unforgettable and beloved characters in films such as Brokeback Mountain, The Wizard of Oz, The Birds, My Fair Lady, Superman, Titanic, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince and The Dark Knight Rises.

Contributors: BayCityJohn, lislis, Lyle (Mooska), Gwyllion, CellarDweller

The Daily Sheet Archives
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 09:33:50 PM »

Tuesday, August 27th, 2013

US Churches Prepare For Lawsuits

When the Supreme Court issued their decision on DOMA (Defense of Marriage Act) in late June, it was a reason to celebrate for marriage equality supporters.  However, for some churches, it was a reason to think of lawsuits, and some churches are beginning to change their By-Laws to show they only will sanction marriages between men and women.

Dean Inserra, pastor of City Church Tallahassee Florida has openly wondered what would happen if some of the gay congregants his church has approached him to hold a wedding ceremony, and he refuses.  His concern is that the event will be viewed at a civil rights movement, instead of a religious freedom moment.  The churches believe that changing their By-Laws will protect them from lawsuits filed by gay people.

Ross Murray, GLAAD's director of news and faith initiatives, has said these changes are unnecessary as no church has been sued to hold a gay marriage, as gay people have numerous churches, synagogues, or other places of worship who respect and support their relationships.

US Churches Prepare For Lawsuits

Homosexual Issue Needs to Be Corrected

Reverend Dr Donald Stewart is a Jamaican pastor who claims he is an expert exorcist and can cast out demons.  He has recently made statements that state it's his opinion that the church is confused about homosexuals and how to handle the homosexuality issue.

To quote Stewart directly:  "The argument is that [gay people] are born that way, and these are God-given gifts and they should not be treated any different. That is what they are trying to sell.  There are no homosexual genes and God never made anybody that way. And that is not something I back away from."

Stewart has written/published 20 different books on Christianity, and one of them deals with homosexuality.  In it he claims that there are up to 20 different causes of homosexuality, and the treatment varies on the causes.

Homosexual Issue Need to Be Corrected     

Lesbian Stereotypes

We are all familiar with stereotypes, we all joke about them, and sometimes are offended by them.  Latinos, black people, women, teens, gay men are all subjected to stereotypes, and lesbians are no exception.

Some of the more prevalent stereotypes that we know are:  Men molested them as children and that turned them into lesbians, lesbians hate men, in every lesbian couple, one has to be the man, lesbians just haven't been with the right guy yet.  How lesbians have sex is also the subject of stereotypes:  Every lesbian uses strap-ons and dildos to take the place of men,  no lesbians ever use strap-ons,  it's not real sex if there's no penis, every lesbian relationship has a butch and a femme.

Huffington Post has recently published an article that discusses these stereotypes, and debunks them. 

Lesbian Stereotypes

VMA's Queerest Moments

The VMAs (Video Music Awards) aired on MTV on Sunday 8/25, and it marked the 30th anniversary of the MTV awards show. 

In honor of this anniversary, Huffington Post created a list of the "Queerest" moments that took place at the VMAs.  Of course, the kiss between Madonna, Brittney Spears and Christina Aguilera (pictured left) was one of the big moments, and it's not a surprise that the artist listed the most (3 times) is Madonna.

The article and images are a flashback MTV and music fans, so click the link to read about RuPaul, Nirvana, Ricky Martin, Frank Ocean, Madonna, and others!

VMA's Queerest Moments

Brokeback Birthdays

Ok, so maybe Tardar Sauce (Grumpy Cat) is not happy at celebrating a birthday, but in general most people enjoy birthdays.  It turns out that August is a big birthday in the "Brokie-verse".

August 19th is Gustavo Santaolalla's birthday.  He is 62 years old, and is a two-time Academy Award winner, for Best Score for Babel in 2006, and Brokeback Mountain in 2005.

August 22nd is Annie Proulx's birthday.  She is 78 years old, and she has won multiple awards for her writing, including winning for Brokeback Mountain in 1997.

August 24th is Diana Ossana's birthday.  Her age is not listed online, and she has won an Academy award in 2005 for Best Adapted Screenplay for Brokeback Mountain in 2005.

Macklemore Just Misses the Top 10

Hip-Hop artist and gay rights supporter Macklemore has just missed the Top 10 of the Billboard Hot 100 chart with his song in support of same-sex marriage, "Same Love".

Macklemore performed on the recent VMAs with his musical partner, Ryan Lewis.  Together they worked on "Same Love" and the project was very personal for Macklemore, who has a gay uncle in a long-term relationship with his partner. 

In the wake of the Supreme Court's decision on DOMA, airplay for the song and video surged and it flew up the Hot 100, reaching a peak position of #11.  It held the #11 position for three weeks, fell down a notch to #12, climbed back up to #11, but was unable to crack the Top 10, stuck behind other songs getting a higher rotation.  With the release of two new singles by superstars (Katy Perry & Lady Gaga) that debuted in the Top 10, "Same Love" gets pushed further down chart this week.

Macklemore performed on Sunday's Video Music Awards event, and won the coveted "moonman" for Best Video With A Social Message for "Same Love".

Macklemore ~ Same Love

Michelle Williams Reaches Out to Lea Michele

On July 13th of this year Glee fans were rocked by the news of the death of star Cory Monteith.  He was 31.  Cory had been in rehab prior to this incident, when his family staged an intervention when he was 19.

Cory was one of the major stars of Glee, and was dating his costar, Lea Michele.  Initially Lea issued a statement asking for her privacy to be respected, but she's since come out of seclusion and started doing appearances again.  She is also working with the writers on Glee to create what is being called the "Cory Monteith Tribute" episode. 

Lea has received support from the Glee cast and crew, which she expected.  However, unexpected support came from actress Michelle Williams.  According to an insider at Lea's camp, Lea was touched by Michelle's gesture, and that of all people, Michelle could understand what Lea is going through, as she went through a similar experience with the late Heath Ledger.

Michelle Williams Reaches Out to Lea Michelle

Organized by the Victoria & Albert Museum, London, Hollywood Costume explores the central role costume design plays in cinematic storytelling. Bringing together more than 100 of the most iconic movie costumes from across a century of filmmaking, it is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to see the clothes worn by unforgettable and beloved characters in films such as Brokeback Mountain, The Wizard of Oz, The Birds, My Fair Lady, Superman, Titanic, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince and The Dark Knight Rises.

Life Through The Lens

MiaIsland has posted a series of picture that she took recently, below is her shot of the Swedish sunset.

To see all of the fantastic shots in her series, just click the link below.

Life Through The Lens

DejaVu (Debbie) posted a series of pics taken on a recent bus trip to Cape Cod.  Her pics include some of the beautiful houses that are typical of the New England area.  To see her entire series, click the link below.

Contributors: BayCityJohn, MiaIsland, DejaVu, CellarDweller

The Daily Sheet Archives
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 05:29:37 PM by CellarDweller115 »
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 08:07:00 PM »

Tuesday, September 3rd, 2013

Liz Cheney & Gay Marriage

Liz Cheney is a Republican Senate candidate and has recently made the statements that she is "strongly" pro-life, and not pro-gay marriage.

Liz Cheney is the daughter of former vice president Dick Cheney, and her sister Mary is a out gay woman, who married her partner in DC last year.

She stated she was replying to a poll that stated she was aggressively "pro-gay marriage", and wanted to correct this, in light of the fact that she is running against incumbent Republican Mike Enzi for the state’s Senate seat.

Liz's sister Mary issued a statement via her Facebook page that states: "For the record, I love my sister, but she is dead wrong on the issue of marriage.  It’s not something to be decided by a show of hands.”

Liz Cheney & Gay Marriage

Cory Booker Accused of 'Acting Ambiguous'

The Senate race in New Jersey is heating up, with Republican candidate Steve Lonegan trailing to Democrat and Newark mayor Cory Booker.  

Things are starting to get personal now, with Steve Lonegan making a claim that Cory has made an ambiguous statement about his sexuality to court gay voters to his side.

Cory's sexuality has long been up for debate, with numerous rumors stating that Cory is gay.  In a recent interview he was asked point-blank if he was indeed gay.  Cory replied with:    "So what does it matter if I am? So be it. I hope you are not voting for me because you are making the presumption that I'm straight."

Steve Lonegan commented on the issue as well.  "As a guy, I personally like being a guy.  I don't know if you saw the stories last year. They've been out for quite a bit about how he likes to go out at three o'clock in the morning for a manicure and a pedicure.  It was described as his peculiar fetish," Lonegan continued in his NewsMax interview. "I have a more peculiar fetish. I like a good Scotch and a cigar. That's my fetish, but we'll just compare the two."

The Booker campaign released a statement that said, "Mr. Lonegan's comments are disappointing, bigoted and far outside the mainstream, implying that a man is not a man if he's gay."

Cory Booker Accused of 'Acting Ambiguous'    

Bar Owner Ordered to Pay Fee

Chris Penner is the owner of The Twilight Annex, formerly knows as P-Club.  When the club was known as P-Club, it hosted a weekly gay dance night, and a local gay pool club would go to the bar to practice.  A group that called themselves "The T-Girls" also frequented the club on Friday nights, a group of transgendered women.

At one point last year, Penner left a voicemail for one of the T-Girls, that basically asked them not to come back, saying:   “People think that a.) We’re a tranny bar or b.) We’re a gay bar. We are neither. People are not coming in because they just don’t want to be here on a Friday night now.”

The T-Girls took their case to the Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries, and presented the voicemail as evidence they were being discriminated against.  Penner testified in court that he had been getting complaints from other clients that the T-Girls were being disruptive, and women were upset with the condition of the women's room after it had been used by the T-Girls.  However, those issues were never addressed with the T-Girls, nor were those issues mentioned on the voicemail message.

The Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries sided with the T-Girls, and Penner must now pay fees that total almost $400,000.00, which will be divided between the 11 T-Girls who presented their case.

Gay Marriages Get Recognition From the I.R.S.

The Treasury Department and IRS (Internal Revenue Service) released a statement on Thursday, that all same-sex couples who are legally married will be recognized as such for federal tax purposes, even if the state where they live does not recognize their union.  The announcement is a "follow-up" to the June judgment by The Supreme Court that DOMA (Defense of Marriage Act) was unconstitutional.  The June decision was made that stated same-sex couples were entitled to equal federal benefits, but did not address how the various agencies would address this issue.

The fact that this statement came just two months after the judgment shows how quickly the government is moving to treat gay couples in the same way that it does straight couples.

Their address or the location of their wedding does not matter, as long as the marriage is legal: a same-sex couple who marry in Albany, N.Y., and move to Alabama are treated the same as a same-sex couple who marry and live in Massachusetts.

Gay Marriages Get Recognition From the I.R.S.

Jake Gyllenhaal on "Actors Studio"

Many are familiar with the TV show Inside The Actor's Studio, and its host, James Lipton.  Near the end of the show he asks his guests 10 questions, such as "What turns you on?", "What turns you off?" and "Favorite curse word?"  Guests on the show have included:  Paul Newman, Glenn Close, Meryl Streep, Clint Eastwood, Sissy Spacek, and many many more.

On September 19th at 8:00, Jake Gyllenhaal's name can be added to that list.

The show (which airs on the Bravo network) filmed an episode last month with Jake Gyllenhaal in anticipation of the release of the film Prisoners.

Jake Gyllenhaal on Actors Studio

"Prisoners" Earns High Praise for Jackman & Gyllenhaal

Surprises at film festivals occasionally happen, and this year the Telluride Film Festival in Colorado got two surprises when the films 12 Years a Slave and Prisoners made surprise debuts there.

Written by Aaron Guzikowski, Prisoners focuses on what happens to two families (Jackman and Maria Bello and Terrence Howard and Viola Davis) when their daughters are kidnapped on Thanksgiving day. Gyllenhaal plays the detective tasked with finding the young girls, with Paul Dano and Melissa Leo acting in supporting roles.

The film was viewed by Variety critic Scott Foundas, who wrote a rave review of the film, saying:  "Prisoners is fully deserving of mention in the same breath as Seven, Mystic River and In the Bedroom."

According to Deadline.com awards guru Pete Hammond, Prisoners is a:  " superbly directed and produced film that features career best performances, for sure, from Jake Gyllenhaal and Hugh Jackman.

Prisoners Earns High Praise for Jackman & Gyllenhaal

Prisoners is set to have a release date of September 20th.  Click the link below to see the trailer on You Tube

Trailer for Prisoners

Anne Hathaway's Voice Project

Academy Award winning Anne Hathaway will be lending her voice to a new documentary that will mark the 50th anniversary of the assassination of John F. Kennedy.

Anne Hathaway, Jessica Chastain and Channing Tatum are the latest additions to a list that will also include Betty White, Viola Davis, Michelle Williams, and others, who will be reading about twenty out of the over 800,000 letters of condolence sent to the former First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy following the politician's tragic shooting in Dallas, Texas in 1963.

The film is directed by Bill Couturie, and it will will premiere at the Kennedy Presidential Library in Boston, Massachusetts on September 17th.

Anne Hathaway's Voice Project

Life Through The Lens

JanJo has posted a series of picture that she took recently to Edinburgh.

To see all of the fantastic shots in her series, just click the link below.

Life Through The Lens

Contributors: JanJo, CellarDweller

The Daily Sheet Archives
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 05:32:28 AM by CellarDweller115 »
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 09:13:03 PM »

Tuesday, September 10th, 2013

Wedding Guests Should Tell Gay Couples To Die

Kevin Swanson is an anti-gay pastor who has a radio show.  On a recent show he began to talk about a bakery in Oregon that closed down due to a boycott, after they refused to make a wedding cake for a lesbian couple.  Swanson went on to say that the "Pink Mafia" is trying to shut down businesses that don't agree with "their agenda".

He went on to say that in retaliation, anyone who can go to a gay wedding should go, and call the couple an abomination and that they should be put to death.  He also said that any baker who makes a cake for a gay wedding should write "Leviticus 20:13" on the cake.  For those who don't know, that section of the bible reads:  If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

Swanson is also known for making statements after the Boy Scouts allowed gay members, that the scouts would now be teaching "cannibalism and sodomy" and that the legalization of gay marriage would prompt gay people to burn Christians at the stake.

Wedding Guests Should Tell Gay Couples To Die

Wedding Announcement Refused By Texas Paper

The Texarkana Gazette has recently refused to run a wedding announcement for a lesbian couple.

The couple Michelle Cooks and Patricia Wrightner are getting married on September 13th and wanted to place an announcement in their local paper, but they were turned down, and claimed the representative at the paper was rude to them.  In an interview with KSLA News 12, the pair stated:   "if the Pentagon has recognized, you know, giving same sex couples benefits,” at least, I think we could……put our picture in the paper.   We were discriminated against,  there’s no other reason not to have our picture in the paper.”

The paper has issued a statement that claims they based their decision on their state laws:  “The Texarkana Gazette publishes wedding, engagement and anniversary announcements related to marriages or impending marriages that are recognized by states in which it circulates.  This policy have been in place for several years.  Neither Texas nor Arkansas allows same-sex marriages or recognize same sex marriages from other states. If those laws change, this newspaper will re-examine its policy.”

Wedding Announcement Refused By Texas Paper

Gay Marriage Shows Constitution's Genius

Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg is the second woman named to the high court, and she has now served for 20 years and leads the court's liberal minority.  She is one of the justices that voted on the case of DOMA, where it was found unconstitutional.

Justice Ginsburg has recently officiated over a same-sex wedding, and made the following statement regarding the Constitution:  "Equality has always been central to the Constitution, even if society has only applied it to minorities — be they women, blacks or gays — over time.  So I see the genius of our Constitution, and of our society, is how much more embracive we have become than we were at the beginning."

Ginsburg, 80, gave no hint she would wind down her judicial career anytime soon, noting that the fall docket includes such important issues as campaign finance limits and affirmative action. And, despite her sharp ideological differences with some colleagues, including close friend Antonin Scalia, she said their work environment remains cordial.

Gay Marriage Shows Constitution's Genius

Police Search for Missing Teen

Police in Montgomery County, Wa. are on the lookout for a missing 15 year-old transgendered youth.

The family of Nathaniel Martin Malone contacted police when Nathaniel didn't come home on Saturday night.  He has a medical condition that require medication, so police are acting quickly and following leads. 

Nathaniel was last seen on Saturday night, just before 6:15pm.  He identifies as transgender, and may have been wearing women's clothing.

Police Search for Missing Teen

Raven-Symone Faces Backlash

Raven-Symone is best known as "Olivia" on the longtime CBS hit sitcom "The Cosby Show", and then later from "That's So Raven", which aired on the Disney Network.  She's also lent her voice to numerous animated projects and has appeared on Disney albums.

Just over a month ago, Raven came out with the following tweet:   “I am very happy that gay marriage is opening up around the country and is being accepted.  I was excited to hear today that more states legalized gay marriage.  I, however am not currently getting married, but it is great to know I can now, should I wish to,”

Not long after that, Raven faced a backlash from fans who were claiming that their childhood memories were ruined by this revelation. 

The hashtag #childhoodruined sprung up on tweets spreading the news, insinuating that the realization of the star’s sexuality somehow destroys the impact of her hit Disney Channel show “That’s So Raven” on their development.

Raven-Symone Faces Backlash

Cast for Nightcrawler Shaping Up

Nightcrawler is an indie thriller film that is set to begin production in October.  The film will be directed by Dan Gilroy, and star Jake Gyllenhaal.  News about other cast members has been released, and both Rene Russo and Bill Paxton are now on board for the movie.

Nightcrawler follows "a driven young man (Jake Gyllenhaal) who discovers the nocturnal world of L.A. freelance crime journalism."   No word yet on what parts Russo and Paxton will be playing.

Gilroy is also producing the dark indie flick alongside Gyllenhaal. The film marks Gilroy's directorial debut. He previously co-wrote The Bourne Legacy with his brother, Tony Gilroy.

Cast for Nightcrawler Shaping Up

Many are familiar with the TV show Inside The Actor's Studio, and its host, James Lipton.  Near the end of the show he asks his guests 10 questions, such as "What turns you on?", "What turns you off?" and "Favorite curse word?"  Guests on the show have included:  Paul Newman, Glenn Close, Meryl Streep, Clint Eastwood, Sissy Spacek, and many many more.

The show (which airs on the Bravo network) filmed an episode last month with Jake Gyllenhaal in anticipation of the release of the film Prisoners.

Thread Spotlight

As you are all aware, we have a number of threads to discuss various aspects of the book, movie, and characters that we have come to know and love (and sometimes hate).

Last week one thread became particularly active, the "Ennis' & Jack's Relationship, II" thread, which is in the Elements and Themes section of the forum.

Some very interesting posts have been made by members such as JanJo, Morrobay, Suelyblu, Morrobay,, and many others.

If you want to read their opinions and join the conversation, please click the link below!

Ennis' and Jack's Relationship, II 

Remembering September 11th

Tomorrow marks the anniversary of the September 11th attacks on the World Trade Center, Pentagon, and the crash of United Flight 93.

As we always do, we've reopened our In Memoriam - September 11, 2001 thread, and it is linked below.  If you want to go and post messages about your memories of that day, share thoughts, post images, please feel free to do so.

In Memoriam - September 11, 2001

Contributors: BayCityJohn, KilersMom, CellarDweller

The Daily Sheet Archives
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 07:50:48 PM »

Tuesday, September 17th, 2013

September 15, 16, & 17 marks the anniversary that took place in San Francisco in 2007.

CW Developing Drama About Transgender Teenager

Brooklyn-based writer-playwright Kyle Jarrow and executive produced by Michael London have teamed up on a new project, a TV series that will air on the CW network.   The program is titled ZE and will follow the life of a family, one of the members being a FTM transgendered teenager.  

Described as "raw & quirky family drama", the series is set in Texas and the family must deal with their reactions to the announcement that their teenage daughter will start living life as a boy.  This causes the family to spiral into dysfunctional situations, and the teen quickly realizes that he may be the most well-adjusted member of the family.

While there have been a handful of transgender characters on broadcast series, most notably one played by Rebecca Romijn on ABC’s Ugly Betty, this is the first time a transgender person would be the lead of a primetime show.

CW Developing Drama About Transgender Teenager

Many are familiar with the TV show Inside The Actor's Studio, and its host, James Lipton.  Near the end of the show he asks his guests 10 questions, such as "What turns you on?", "What turns you off?" and "Favorite curse word?"  Guests on the show have included:  Paul Newman, Glenn Close, Meryl Streep, Clint Eastwood, Sissy Spacek, and many many more.

Drama At Dallas Pride

Sunday, September 15th marks the 30th anniversary of the Dallas Pride celebration and march, and the march is having some unexpected drama.

Those who have organized the march are asking participants to comply with the city's nudity and lewdness laws.  In recent years march organizers have began to receive complaints that the marchers are baring too much, and observers say that they're seeing more than they would at a PG-13 movie.

Participants are split on this matter.  There are a number who say that of all days, this is the one day that GLBT people can be who they truly are, and this expression shouldn't be squashed.  Other march participants say that the GLBT community is asking for equality, and that would mean they are asked to follow the same laws as everyone else, which includes being clothed.  For years, Dallas’ pride parade — like those in other cities — modeled parade rules after state laws. Nothing has changed this year, Doughman said, except the organization decided to re-emphasize the rules after some sponsors, residents and LGBT families with children complained of inappropriate dress and behavior.

Call to bare not quite all at Dallas pride

Sara Gilbert Discusses Being A Lesbian

Fans of the TV shows Roseanne and Big Bang Theory are familiar with Sara Gilbert and Johnny Galecki.  The pair was on Roseanne as couple Darlene Conner and David Healy.  They were also on Big Bang Theory as Leslie Winkle and Leonard Hofstadter.

Gilbert is now a co-host on The Talk, and she has recently opened up about being a lesbian, and when she knew it, and why she kept it a secret.

According to Gilbert, she came to the realization she was lesbian while she was dating Galecki during their time together on Roseanne.  She explained that she had a 'crush' on him and they began dating, but when they would kiss and "make out", that she was ending up feeling depressed, and it began to affect Galecki.  When she told him she suspected she was a lesbian, he understood, and kept her secret.

Not long after, she got involved with an older woman, and because of the age difference, kept this quiet as well.

Gilbert is now engaged to Linda Perry, best known as a member of the 90s group 4 Non Blondes and their Top 10 hit "What's Going On".  She's also written and produced Top 10 hits for acts like Christina Aguilera, Alicia Keyes, Gwen Stefani & P!nk.

Sara Gilbert Realized She Was Gay While Dating 'Big Bang' Star Johnny Galecki

RuPaul's Drag Race - The Lost Season

We all know RuPaul due to her song "Supermodel (You Better Work)" and other recordings, plus numerous TV and movie appearances.  2009 marked the debut of the realty show/contest RuPaul's Drag Race.  For those who are unfamiliar with the show, it is a contest that starts with 12 drag queens who have auditioned for the show.  They are already paid performers, but they are competing for the title "America's Next Drag Superstar".  The show premiered on the LOGO network, as well as VH-1.

The series has been on for 5 seasons, as well as an "All Star" season where past competitors came back from prior seasons to compete against each other.  Season 6 is being worked on as we speak.  

All the past seasons have been rerun since airing, except season 1, which has not be able to, due to music usage/clearance.  It has since become known as "The Lost Season"

It appears that all the proper clearances have been obtained, as LOGO has been promoting the 'return' of the lost season.  Fans can once again watch Victoria "Porkchop" Parker, Tammie Brown, Akashia, Jade, Ongina, Shannel, Rebecca Glasscock, Nina Flowers and BeBe Zahara Benet all vie for the coveted title of "America's Next Drag Superstar".  The reruns begin on September 30th.

RuPaul's Drag Race

Ang Lee on Award Jury

The Golden Horse Awards was founded in 1962 to promote Taiwanese film production and recognize excellent Taiwanese films and outstanding filmmakers.  The name "Golden Horse" is derived from the names of the two outlying islands of Kinmen and Matsu.  The Golden Horse Awards are among the most prestigious and time-honored film awards in the world of Chinese language cinema.  

The Golden Horse Awards welcome annual entries from Taiwan, Hong Kong, China and other Chinese speaking areas.  The nominations and results of 26 awards are decided by a group of jurors consisting of film professionals; their deliberations take place after they view every single film.  Apart from the official awards, there is also an Audience Choice Award and a Fipresci Award.  On its 50th anniversary, the Golden Horse Awards have become the highest accolade for all Chinese-language filmmakers, and are thus considered to be the Chinese-language Oscars.

Taiwan's most famous film director, two-time Oscar winner Ang Lee, will lead the jury at the 50th Taiwan Golden Horse Awards.  Lee, who won two best directing Oscars for Brokeback Mountain and Life of Pi, said "he will do his best to moderate the jury members' opinions in the most prestigious film competition in all the Chinese-speaking countries."

Ang Lee on Award Jury

Michelle Williams Makes Her Broadway Debut

Actress Michelle Williams is making her Broadway debut in the revival of the play Cabaret.  She will be playing the part of Sally Bowles, and will be sharing the stage with Alan Cumming.  Alan won a Tony award for his turn as the emcee, and he is reprising this role for the revival.

The revival is being staged by the Roundabout Theatre Company, which also worked on If There Is I Haven't Found It Yet, which featured Jake Gyllenhaal, Michelle's Brokeback Mountain cast mate.

Michelle Williams has been in an off-Broadway play (Smelling A Rat) and has been nominated three times for an Academy Award, for work in Brokeback Mountain, Blue Valentine and My Week With Marilyn.  She joins a roster of actresses who’ve played Sally Bowles, including Jill Haworth, who originated the role on Broadway in 1966, Liza Minnelli, who won an Oscar for the 1972 movie, and Natasha Richardson, who won a Tony for the ‘98 revival.

Michelle Williams, Alan Cumming to star in 'Cabaret' revival on Broadway

Thread Spotlight

As you are all aware, we have a number of threads to discuss various aspects of the book, movie, and characters that we have come to know and love (and sometimes hate).

Last week one thread became particularly active, the "All other scenes including truck scenes, Thanksgiving scenes, alley scenes, and other " thread, which is in the Elements and Themes section of the forum.

Some very interesting posts have been made by members such as BlueJeanDarlin', Andy, QuicksilverA, Cally, Malachite45, and others.

If you want to read their opinions and join the conversation, please click the link below!

All other scenes including truck scenes, Thanksgiving scenes, alley scenes, and other

Life Through The Lens

The above image is posted by Trigger_Hippie, who has posted numerous images over the years, and getting many compliments on his style and "eye".  After an absence from the "Lens" thread, we're happy to see ya back, Trigger_Hippie!

If you want to see the rest of his latest images, click the link below.

Life Through The Lens 7 - Sharing Your Photos & Your Talent

Contributors: Trigger_Hippie, GagaMama4, CellarDweller

The Daily Sheet Archives
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 09:43:45 PM »

Tuesday, September 24th, 2013

Joy & Pain for Homecoming Queen

Cassidy Lynn Campbell, is the newly crowned homecoming queen at Marina High in Huntington Beach.  Of course, this was a moment of great joy for her, but Campbell felt this was a bigger accomplishment for her, because Campbell is transgendered.

Cassidy Lynn started life as Lance Campbell, and three years ago began to transition to Cassidy Lynn three years ago.  She has numerous followers on YouTube and Twitter, as she's been actively posting stories and pictures of her transition.

When she won the Homecoming award, she felt not only a sense of personal accomplishment, but that she was perhaps helping other transgendered people around the world, so that they could see there was acceptance.  Her joy was short lived, however, as backlash has stung young Cassidy Lynn, and she has had to deal with negative comments and judgments after winning.

Transgender teen homecoming queen deals with criticism, praise

New Book Claims Matthew Shepard Not Killed For Being Gay

Author Stephen Jimenez has just released a new book, and in it he makes the claim that Matthew Shepard was not murdered for being gay.

Matthew Shepard was 21 when he was beaten nearly to death and then left tied to a fence.  He was found the next day, and rushed to a hospital where he died.  A Laramie police officer testified at a pretrial hearing that the violence against Shepard was due to how the attacker "[felt] about gays", per an interview of the attacker's girlfriend who said she received that explanation.  In the book, “The Book of Matt: Hidden Truths About the Murder of Matthew Shepard”, Jimenez claims that Matthew approached his attackers looking for drugs, and offered them sex for them.  Instead they tried to rob Matthew, and during the robbery the rage took over, and they were unable to stop.

The Matthew Shepard Foundation, meanwhile, has blasted Jimenez’s take, characterizing the book as an attempt to rewrite history.

Matthew Shepard not murdered for being gay

House Members Propose New Anti-Gay Bill

A new bill has been introduced to Congress, it is currently in front of the House of Representatives, and is being 'promoted' as a bill that protects religious freedoms.  However, there are many who say that this bill is anti-gay and will open the doors for faith-based people and organizations to discriminate against gay people.

Some of the ways LGBT people could be adversely affected are:  Federal workers processing tax returns, visa applications, or Social Security filings could refuse to do their job if it meant providing benefits to a same-sex couple.  Federally funded programs like homeless shelters and substance abuse programs could turn away LGBT people.

The bill is endorsed by numerous groups considered anti-gay, including:  U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, the National Organization for Marriage, Family Research Council, and the Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission of the Southern Baptist Convention.

House Members Propose New Anti-Gay Bill

Catholics Say 'Amen' to Pope's Latest Comments

Newly elected Pope Francis continues to show a different stance than prior popes, most recently three days ago when he conducted an interview and said that the church can not talk so much about abortion, gay marriage and methods of contraception.  "We have to find a new balance; otherwise even the moral edifice of the church is likely to fall like a house of cards, losing the freshness and fragrance of the Gospel." 

However, the Pope is also quick to point out that he doesn't believe the church is to move away from those topics.  He said there should be no retreat from the church's stand on the issues because he agreed with Church doctrine and considered the matter closed.

After masses on Sunday, many Catholics were discussing what they felt about Pope Francis' statements.  "He's not changing any doctrine ... (but) how we present it," Humitz said. "The word pontiff means bridge builder, and I think that's what he's doing."

Catholics say 'Amen' to pope's latest comments

Prisoners is #1!

This past weekend was the opening weekend for the Hugh Jackman/Jake Gyllenhaal film Prisoners.

The film has received numerous positive reviews, and has been the subject of debate due to what some have called disturbing scenes of violence and/or torture.  There has also been early hype/talk of Oscar quality performances in the film, and the intensity of the performances of Jackman and Gyllenhaal.

Prisoners opening numbers for the weekend are $21,430,000.00 which made it the number one movie of the weekend (according to Box Office Mojo).  Another new movie (Battle Of The Year - a dance movie) opened that weekend, but (despite numerous TV spots) failed to capture an audience, opening in 5th place with only $5,000,000.00 taken in that weekend.  In addition to the promotions, Battle Of The Year stars R&B singer Chris Brown, who has over 13 million followers on Twitter.  The movies between Prisoners and Battle were released last weekend, and saw a significant drop in their numbers.

Prisoners is a straight-forward drama, with little special effects, and not based on a known story, movies with these circumstances tend to be a 'hard sell' to the movie going public.  With that in mind, promotions for Prisoners was strong, with both Jackman and Gyllenhaal appearing on numerous talk shows, and the entire cast appearing on the Katie Couric show.

Box office report: 'Prisoners' locks up a $21 million debut

"Dead town" in Ky. Sees Revival After Passing Gay Rights Ordinance

The town of Vicco in Kentucky has a small population of 330, and was considered to be a "dead town" that was struggling for money, and doing what they could to revitalize their town.

Approximately eight months ago this tiny Appalachian town took a stand against gay-based discrimination, and made national headlines when three of four commissioners voted in January to pass an ordinance which prohibits discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity in employment, housing and public accommodations.

Since then, the town has received a lot of attention nationwide, and financial donations have been pouring in.  A group of residents appeared on The Colbert Report, and someone mailed a donation of $40.00 to buy them all a round of beer at the local bar.  One person from California sent $1,000.00, and a woman and her son (unidentified- also from California) have offered to pay to have the town's playground updated.  The estimated cost is $80,000.00.

City leaders said at the time they simply thought it was the right thing to do.

"Dead town" in Ky. Sees Revival After Passing Gay Rights Ordinance

Michelle Williams Makes Her Broadway Debut

Actress Michelle Williams is making her Broadway debut in the revival of the play Cabaret.  She will be playing the part of Sally Bowles, and will be sharing the stage with Alan Cumming.  Alan won a Tony award for his turn as the emcee, and he is reprising this role for the revival.

The revival is being staged by the Roundabout Theatre Company, which also worked on If There Is I Haven't Found It Yet, which featured Jake Gyllenhaal, Michelle's Brokeback Mountain cast mate.

Michelle Williams has been in an off-Broadway play (Smelling A Rat) and has been nominated three times for an Academy Award, for work in Brokeback Mountain, Blue Valentine and My Week With Marilyn.  She joins a roster of actresses who’ve played Sally Bowles, including Jill Haworth, who originated the role on Broadway in 1966, Liza Minnelli, who won an Oscar for the 1972 movie, and Natasha Richardson, who won a Tony for the ‘98 revival.

Michelle Williams, Alan Cumming to star in 'Cabaret' revival on Broadway

Photo Captions

Longtime DCF member Bubba found some humorous inspiration with a screen capture from Hugh Jackman's and Jake Gyllenhaal's movie, Prisoners!

Hugh:  I wish I knew how to quit you!!

Jake:  Oh dear God, not this again.

Want to express your humorous side?  Feel free to join us in the Photo Captions thread.

Photo Captioning Fun Vol 7

The above image is posted by fritzkep, who took a trip up to Quonset Point RI, boarded a ferry for Oak Bluffs on Martha's Vineyard MA, and then on to Nantucket before returning.

If you want to see the rest of his images, click the link below.

Contributors: Lyle (Mooska), fritzkep, bubba, CellarDweller

The Daily Sheet Archives
... Kierkegaard