The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: News and Current Events - 2013 to 2014  (Read 640688 times)

Offline bentgyro

• Obsessed
Re: News and Current Events - 2013 to 2014
« Reply #5625 on: December 13, 2016, 01:52:38 AM »

I also come from the day and age that pregnancy was the most terrible thing ever to happen to the girl (the slut) and the family was shamed.
My sister and I escaped the shame but our mother who was married in 1938 was pregnant.  Fortunetly our father did marry (for 62yrs), our mother.  Now, thank goodness, no one cares.  In my age group, I'm surprised at how many women I know whose husbands are not the fathers of their first child.  I also ask men I know how many children they have, their wives would be very surprised.  All this hiding in the name of religion that was waiting to shame us all.

Offline brianr

• Obsessed
« Reply #5626 on: December 13, 2016, 02:40:30 AM »
Hi Bentgyro
I completely agree with you. I was just reporting Bill English's views. and the fact that he had changed his views on same-sex marriage.  His party, now in Government never gets my vote. Another member of parliament who is gay was quite scathing of his change of views now that the law has been passed several years ago. I also advocate for euthanasia to be allowed. There is a committee of parliament discussing this now and I signed the petition for it.
I always give my vote to the Green Party which advocates for free access to abortion by all women up to the 20th week. At the moment in NZ there is de facto access to this because the law allows 2 doctors, one a gynaecologist to allow it if the woman's mental health is at risk but the Green Party says this often unnecessarily delays women from having an abortion.

Offline janiebbmart

• Obsessed
« Reply #5627 on: December 13, 2016, 04:31:19 AM »
Any minute now it'll be Kim Kardashian for Secretary for Culture.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #5628 on: December 13, 2016, 07:11:12 AM »
I also come from the day and age that pregnancy was the most terrible thing ever to happen to the girl (the slut) and the family was shamed.
My sister and I escaped the shame but our mother who was married in 1938 was pregnant.  Fortunetly our father did marry (for 62yrs), our mother.

My eldest uncle was born before my grandparents were married. My grandfather was his father, but still. ...  I remember hearing that my mother learned this from a gossipy neighbor when Mother was still a child, and she was quite upset. My grandparents' fiftieth wedding anniversary was quietly ignored because of this.

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #5629 on: December 13, 2016, 07:45:53 AM »
Any minute now it'll be Kim Kardashian for Secretary for Culture.

LOL Janie!

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #5630 on: December 13, 2016, 07:47:28 AM »
My eldest uncle was born before my grandparents were married. My grandfather was his father, but still. ...  I remember hearing that my mother learned this from a gossipy neighbor when Mother was still a child, and she was quite upset. My grandparents' fiftieth wedding anniversary was quietly ignored because of this.

How sad that is, Jeff. So what date would that have been - their fiftieth?

Offline brianr

• Obsessed
« Reply #5631 on: December 13, 2016, 10:48:58 AM »
I have trouble and have largely given up researching my ancestry on my mother's side. I could not find the birth records for my grandfather until a researcher in the farming community suggested using his mother's maiden name. By the time of his marriage he had the name of his "father" which was my mother's maiden name but there is no mention of him as progeny in the death notice of that man. So I do not know if that man was my actual great grandfather or not. He never married my great grandmother.

To get my first passport in 1974 I only needed the shortened version of my birth certificate but I let it lapse and needed a new passport in 1996. I had to obtain the full version and was shocked to discover I was the third child of my parents. I rang my sister and said "I know about you, who is this other?"
She told me we had an older sister who only lived 2 days but was born within 9 months of my parents' marriage in 1930. Of course, she was most likely premature but I was told never to speak to my mother about her (my father had already died). She was buried in the same grave as my grandfather was later  buried and there was no headstone but we remedied that after my mother's death with both names inscribed.  So different today when children are often the attendants at their parents' marriage.   

Offline Pepe1

• Expert
« Reply #5632 on: December 13, 2016, 12:19:56 PM »

Kanye West Visits Donald Trump as President-Elect Says They’ve Been Friends for a ‘Long Time’

http://people.com/music/kanye-west-visits-donald-trump-as-president-elect-says-theyve-been-friends-for-a-long-time/

“We’ve been friends for a long time,” the 70-year-old business mogul told reporters as he posed for photos with the rapper. He added that the pair met to discuss “life.”

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #5633 on: December 13, 2016, 01:33:18 PM »

Kanye West Visits Donald Trump as president-elect Says They’ve Been Friends for a ‘Long Time'

He says "everything."

No time for security briefings Mister p-e?

Now the p-e has announced his secretary of state will be the head of Exxon Mobil. Another person with no government
experience, elected or otherwise, no policy experience in foreign relations except that Putin awarded the guy the highest
honor Russia can bestow on a non-citizen. Sounds promising.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #5634 on: December 13, 2016, 01:52:30 PM »
Well guys,

It was a bit nostalgic posting at DC again. My intention was to go some way towards explaining the seeming unexplainable not with the aim of making it acceptable to you nor to troll. In return you have well explained the basis of your misgivings.

In the meantime ... hold on to your hats - it's going to be a bumpy ride for everyone - not just Americans either!

Best wishes for Christmas and the New Year and have confidence in the checks and balances instituted by your Founding Fathers  :)

I do appreciate the give and take you have brought us about this the past couple weeks, believe it or not.  You have stated many of your concerns about policies and positions that you'd like to see turned a focus on and in those I understand why you and others may have supported a candidate to address those and possibly take action on.  My problem with Trump supporters in that regard is, and has always been, that he is not the right vessel for the job. I always explain it this way: "If you need to have an operation you hire a surgeon, not a chef. If your Mercedes-Benz needs an overhaul you take it to a qualified mechanic, not a magician."  And this doesn't even address his abhorrent, and seemingly boundless less than stellar, personal qualities. I, for one, never trust people too much who have no sense of humor. The fact that Trump voters are willing to overlook all that, or simply just do not care about it, or, worse, don't see the danger or actively want to throw a Molotov cocktail into our presidency, and have raised this Forrest Gump creature into the ether is still unexplainable to me.

Online fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #5635 on: December 13, 2016, 05:38:14 PM »
Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #5636 on: December 14, 2016, 10:45:22 AM »
^^^^^^

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #5637 on: December 14, 2016, 11:27:47 AM »
How sad that is, Jeff. So what date would that have been - their fiftieth?

That was years and years ago, the early 1970s.

My mother was the fifth of eight children, and she was born in 1930.

Offline Pepe1

• Expert
« Reply #5638 on: December 14, 2016, 02:54:40 PM »

Ta-Nehisi Coates discusses the racial barriers President Obama had to overcome. http://on.cc.com/2gKbU2l

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
  • ...suspended above ordinary affairs...
« Reply #5639 on: December 14, 2016, 04:48:02 PM »
Pathetic...and no idea why the threats were made 1/10, yet the arrest wasn't made until 12/12..

Florida woman charged with threatening Sandy Hook parent over hoax conspiracy theory

A Florida woman has been charged with making death threats against the parent of a child killed in the Sandy Hook school massacre because she thought the attack was a hoax, federal authorities announced Wednesday.

Lucy Richards, 57, of Tampa was arrested Monday after a grand jury indictment on four felony counts of transmitting threats, the U.S. Justice Department said in a statement.

The threats were made Jan. 10, according to authorities, and included messages that said, "you gonna die, death is coming to you real soon," and "LOOK BEHIND YOU IT IS DEATH."

Another threat said, "there's nothing you can do about it," according to court documents.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-florida-sandy-hook-hoax-20161207-story.html
Bye, Felicia

"What a maroon."  Bugs Bunny

"I try to be good...I only manage it in streaks."