The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: News and Current Events - 2013 to 2014  (Read 774151 times)

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
News and Current Events - 2013 to 2014
« on: July 26, 2013, 04:08:49 PM »
Well, a new thread should have been opened up at the beginning of 2013, but since it wasn't and we have filled up this thread to 500 pages, it is time to close the previous one and open a new one. So, as the title says, this thread is for the remainder of 2013 and as far as we can go into 2014.

I will leave the previous thread unlocked for a few days, in case anyone wants to quote from that thread and discuss it here. Just hit the quote button like usual, and cut and paste the quote and bring it to this new thread. Make sure to do it this way so that the discussion may be brought forward to the new thread and not posted in the old one.

Same rules apply.
News and current events discussions.
Be neighborly to one another!!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 08:37:35 PM by killersmom »
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline Ellen (tellyouwhat)

• Proulx 101
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • resist the corporate Taliban
Re: News and Current Events - 2013 to 2014
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 05:25:07 PM »
Hi Linda --

Thanks for the new thread, and I just want to say that I am also sorry to hear of JJ Cale passing. I liked is records, he had a good sound.
sometimes I think life is just a rodeo the trick is to ride and make it 'til the bell --john fogerty

Online fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 05:38:14 PM »
Sounds great about the meteor shower! Unfortunately over here it's one of the haziest times of the year, so the skies will not be very clear.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline brokebacktom

• Obsessed
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 07:52:25 PM »
Thanks Linda

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 03:20:25 AM »
Best times for the meteor shower will be midnight, and I'll be in bed both nights.  Work the following days.

Oh well.

Offline oilgun

• Obsessed
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 10:22:32 AM »

Was journalist Michael Hastings murdered?
Let's recap.
A journalist, with a history of taking down major figures and royally pissing off the powers that be, sends an email to his editors warning them that federal agents have been interviewing his associates and that he has to go off-radar to finish a big story.
What was the big story? For some reason the subject line of the email, which read "FBI investigation, re: NSA" has been persistently ignored. It certainly seems to suggest that his "big story" was related to the National Security Agency.
Shortly thereafter he dies in a fiery car crash. This crash is swiftly ruled an accident, however there are no skid marks to indicate braking, an eyewitness says he saw flames and sparks before the car left the road and video appears to show his car exploding into a fireball before it goes out of control and hits a tree.

http://rabble.ca/blogs/bloggers/ethan-cox/2013/07/was-journalist-michael-hastings-murdered#.UfWjNZgqoAQ.facebook

The answer: Yes, he was murdered.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 11:22:33 AM by oilgun »
"Yer fond of me lobster aint' ye? I seen it - yer fond of me lobster! Say it! Say it. Say it!" - The Lighthouse.

Offline Tony_

• Obsessed
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 12:36:23 PM »
.....The answer: Yes, he was murdered.
   It looks like that is true, and also, that it was an act of state terrorism.

Meanwhile, de Pope has made some historic remarks about gays.  "If a man is gay and seeks God, who am I to judge him?". He also said gays should not be marginalized or suffer discrimination.  But then said the problem was "lobbies".  Gays, Freemasons, corporate interests.  What's up with the Freemason bit, dunno.  Do know, the pope is a Jesuit, and should have known that he would be misunderstood about lobbies.  He well knows people have a right to organize for personal rights and has encouraged that. But the "lobbies' was probably a reference to a single-minded agenda that is sold for personal convenience or, as he said, for profit. He'll figure out he got that one wrong.
  As for homosexual acts being a sin, he'll never be understood by non-Catholics, there.  Everything non-spiritual is, by church tradition, sinful, as being materialistic. And, yes, that could include Bingo  :).  He did NOT say sexual acts barred one from the Church or from God.  He was upholding the spiritual versus the carnal, while accepting, that we are always unable to meet that goal.  Straights get the same tap on the wrist.
 The story should be on HuffPo soon, and, taken in context, is signalling an historic shift, with reservations, towards support of gay rights.  It is BIG news. But misunderstood all too easily.  He will condemn even more forcefully, gay bashing.  He has before, and, he will very likely, soon, blast the African and Russian atrocities.
  IMO, where it is possible, people should take "yes" for an answer. In Catholic lingo, he has said "yes".

Offline Tony_

• Obsessed
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 01:08:41 PM »
 Yeah, HuffPo has picked up the story: "Pope OK with gays".  Over-simplification.
 He's NOT happy with Freemasons and Haliburton  ::).  Oy-vay, what an interview.
Also, the joke about not seeing anyone yet, in the Vatican, with a name-tag "I'm gay", was probably an Argentinian yuk-yuk.

Bradley Manning gets his verdict tomorrow.  I hope the pope gets into condemning those who are trying to enforce the Orwellian-state lobby/agenda.  Now THAT would be a great help, in another direction.

Offline Tony_

• Obsessed
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 03:08:42 PM »
 I hope it's a 3 post limit, or else, am over the line.
Anyway, there's much more going on with the Pope's shifting tone and substance.  There are political implications in the U.S., as this may be the end of Pat Robertson's grand political alliance of Catholics and fundamentalist Protestants. The pope had already said (and I didn't know this), that abortion and gay marriage, as Big No's, were not on his agenda.  The theological issues there, he said, were understood.  Instead, he said the church must move to service and inclusion, and brotherhood.  I also didn't know he'd ruffled feathers by saying atheists could go to heaven (sorry, Gil,  :D ). The  impertinence !
  Very interesting, his saying the door was closed to women in the priesthood, but that it was urgent to include women in the leadership, and not as tokens. There had to be change.  Where is he going with that?
 And, in other news, I just heard who the Israeli negotiator is for a peace treaty: Tzipi Livni !  My sweetheart  :). I had her page on Facebook but had to cancel it (unending Hebrew news releases).  She has a conservative background but is now a peace activist, and Bibi's worst nightmare in their last election.  This could mean, there are stronger chances of a peace treaty!

Online fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 03:22:00 PM »
The supposed reason for not ordaining women is that the faithful cannot see Jesus if they look to the altar and see a non-male there.

It will still take decades or centuries, but at some point even the most misogynistic priest won't be able to look at a woman and not see the image of Jesus in her.

Offline Tony_

• Obsessed
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 04:15:28 PM »
  I hope it is sooner, rather than later.  Otherwise, we'll all end up Episcopalians  :D.

Online fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 04:59:52 PM »
 :D  :D  :D

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 02:00:35 PM »
The supposed reason for not ordaining women is that the faithful cannot see Jesus if they look to the altar and see a non-male there.ee the image of Jesus in her.

Really?  That's the reason?
I never heard that before.

(Sounds like an excuse, too.)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2013, 02:37:03 PM »
The answer: Yes, he was murdered.

It looks like that is true, and also, that it was an act of state terrorism.

I occasionally wonder why people feel they have to have definitive answers and so choose one.
The truth is, neither of you really know what happened.

Even the person who wrote the article says:

"I have no idea what happened to Michael Hastings, and it's certainly both possible and reasonable that
his accident was solely due to his own error or a mechanical fault. In fact, that's probably the most likely
explanation."

The article keeps talking about the improbability of cars catching on fire so quickly and/or exploding and yet
they do all the time. Here's one:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLoF99LYdts

A guy saw a car on fire outside his apartment and took cellphone video of it.  The car exploded.
Then, of course, you see commenters on the video writing that it's fake. The firemen were in on it.
Etc. (That wasn't you two, was it?) Google Los Angeles car fires and pages of photos pop up.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2013, 04:20:55 PM »
Really?  That's the reason?
I never heard that before.

(Sounds like an excuse, too.)

I've always heard that it was "because" Jesus picked 12 male apostles, so that's why all priests are male.