The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: News and Current Events - 2013 to 2014  (Read 773455 times)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
Re: News and Current Events - 2013 to 2014
« Reply #255 on: August 22, 2013, 11:16:02 AM »
So I suppose that, all in all, they couldn’t care less about what goes on at Heathrow Airport
(or Sheremetyevo Airport, for that matter), just as long as they’re not personally affected.

Despite the fact that my degree of caring or not won't change one thing about what is happening
to Snowden or Greenwald or Miranda, why is it that you do and what is it that you and oilgun want
us to do about it?

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #256 on: August 22, 2013, 11:21:25 AM »
If you’re going to quote me please use my actual words—and not those of Simon Jenkins.
You know how to do that, don’t you?

Bossy, aren't we?

Offline janjo

• Obsessed
« Reply #257 on: August 22, 2013, 11:28:36 AM »
The military isn't responsible for the psychological problems they CAUSE, why would they be responsible for problems individuals bring in with them?

They have sentenced Bradley manning to 35 years in jail when they have some culpability themselves for putting him in that position. I would contend that he was somewhat unstable and was exploited further by Julian Aussange, who in my opinion is a waste of space.
Brokeback short stories at storybyjanjo.livejournal.com

"Are birds free from the chains of the skyway?"
Ballad in plain D: Bob Dylan

Offline doodler

• Obsessed
« Reply #258 on: August 22, 2013, 11:35:45 AM »
We're ALL exploited by someone. No one goes through life without being bullied or abused or used or tricked at some time.
In 2010, 606 people (all ages) were accidentally killed by guns.
Almost 3000 teens (15-19) die in traffic accidents a year.
1100 kids under 19 drown each year.
44 kids under 5 died of heat stroke in hot cars in 2013.
HIGH school sports account for 1.2 million trips to the ER annually.

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
  • ...suspended above ordinary affairs...
« Reply #259 on: August 22, 2013, 11:39:12 AM »
what culpability do they have?  why not put the responsibility on him?  he said he did it, and that he was sorry for hurting the country.  why must everything be excused due to his poor upbringing, or his confused sexuality, or because he didn't get a bike for Christmas when he was 8....everybody has bad things happen to them in life, he is not an exception...why doesn't anyone have to take responsibility for their actions? 
Bye, Felicia

"What a maroon."  Bugs Bunny

"I try to be good...I only manage it in streaks."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #260 on: August 22, 2013, 12:15:57 PM »
what culpability do they have?  why not put the responsibility on him?  he said he did it, and that he was sorry for hurting the country.  why must everything be excused due to his poor upbringing, or his confused sexuality, or because he didn't get a bike for Christmas when he was 8....everybody has bad things happen to them in life, he is not an exception...why doesn't anyone have to take responsibility for their actions?  

That is a very good question.

Because somewhere along the line, it became in the interest of somebody--lawyers? shrinks? both?--to foster the notion that nobody is responsible for anything because we're all victims of someone or something, and it all went downhill from there?  :(

They have sentenced Bradley manning to 35 years in jail when they have some culpability themselves for putting him in that position. I would contend that he was somewhat unstable and was exploited further by Julian Aussange, who in my opinion is a waste of space.

He certainly seems like a supreme narcissist, anyway.

Offline Tony_

• Obsessed
« Reply #261 on: August 22, 2013, 02:24:30 PM »
  FWIW, those supposing non-Americans should not remark upon U.S. news.........could they at least consider waiting until the U.S. gets its troops out of everywhere else, and its nose out of everyone else's business?  Xenophobic/parochial tendencies might then be more supportable  :)......

Offline Tony_

• Obsessed
« Reply #262 on: August 22, 2013, 02:30:36 PM »
 And, hey, how about that Antoinette Tuff?  Here comes a guy with an AK-47 into a school, and she talks him down !
It bordered on hilarious, the Southern motif:
 "Now you just put that gun over there, and lay down on the floor, before dem helicopters start comin' in."
Which, he did, after asking could he keep his cell phone.
She's on CNN tonight, at 8 P.M. EST.
  Is she available for Syria  :-\ ?

Offline janjo

• Obsessed
« Reply #263 on: August 22, 2013, 04:23:26 PM »

Of course, Bradley Manning is ultimately responsible, but what I was trying to suggest was that there was mismanagement by the US Army. If there wasn't, this breach of security wouldn't have happened.
Gender confusion is not easy to live with, and causes much suffering. I should know, I have a nephew who is a female to male transsexual. He had depression, anorexia, and much mental torment before he had his treatment, since when he is much happier.
A person with such serious issues should not have had access to high security material, unless the USA really doesn't care about its secret information.
This is not to suggest that someones sexuality should be an issue, only when it causes mental ill health.

Offline doodler

• Obsessed
« Reply #264 on: August 22, 2013, 04:33:26 PM »
And once again, the Army is supposed to be a mind reader? The guy hid his problems. If he was capable of that, he is capable of accepting responsibility for what he did. Which, sincere or not, is what he has done.

I think mental health experts should be forced to accept responsibility for all the misery, pain and death caused by the creatures created by their "treatments" who go forth and act out. People with contagious physical illnesses are confined, often against their will, and no one bitches about that. It is done to protect society at large, but all anyone has to do is cry mental illness and all is forgiven.

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
« Reply #265 on: August 22, 2013, 04:36:07 PM »
Of course, Bradley Manning is ultimately responsible, but what I was trying to suggest was that there was mismanagement by the US Army. If there wasn't, this breach of security wouldn't have happened.
Gender confusion is not easy to live with, and causes much suffering. I should know, I have a nephew who is a female to male transsexual. He had depression, anorexia, and much mental torment before he had his treatment, since when he is much happier.
A person with such serious issues should not have had access to high security material, unless the USA really doesn't care about its secret information.
This is not to suggest that someones sexuality should be an issue, only when it causes mental ill health.

What horrible thing has your nephew done, due to his "gender confusion"?
Bye, Felicia

Offline janjo

• Obsessed
« Reply #266 on: August 22, 2013, 04:47:12 PM »
As I was reading the above postings a national newspaper editor on TV which I am watching desribed the Bradley Manning affair as "crass mismanagement by the US Army."
I think that is the point I was trying to make.
Blame has to go to the right places.

Offline doodler

• Obsessed
« Reply #267 on: August 22, 2013, 04:57:34 PM »
Well of course that settles it. Some British "journalist" has decided. Amen.

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
« Reply #268 on: August 22, 2013, 04:58:10 PM »
but you do know it sounds like you're saying don't blame the poor one who did wrong.....poor boy, hard life, it is not his fault...
Bye, Felicia

Offline doodler

• Obsessed
« Reply #269 on: August 22, 2013, 04:59:25 PM »
And, hey, how about that Antoinette Tuff?  Here comes a guy with an AK-47 into a school, and she talks him down !
It bordered on hilarious, the Southern motif:
 "Now you just put that gun over there, and lay down on the floor, before dem helicopters start comin' in."
Which, he did, after asking could he keep his cell phone.
She's on CNN tonight, at 8 P.M. EST.
  Is she available for Syria  :-\ ?

Yeah, she is something, ain't she? Talk about grace under fire.
Of course, since the gunman had mental problems, he was easy to talk down and control.