The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: News and Current Events - 2017 - 2022  (Read 763574 times)

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
Re: News and Current Events - 2017 - 2021
« Reply #6000 on: May 03, 2021, 12:29:29 AM »
And of course, Anna Madrigal.

That’s who she’ll always be to me.

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #6001 on: May 03, 2021, 06:21:48 AM »
^^^ 10-4.  It is the familiar court play, "so you were lying then but you are telling the truth now??? Why should anyone believe you?"  It taints everything that person has ever said or done.   

Just like that lawyer now claiming that "no reasonable person would have believed what she was saying" as part of her defense in the defamation suits. WTF happened to honesty, and legal integrity?  Did they stop teaching that in law school?   Just unbelievable.  STOP there.. before rant... ;)  Stay safe, stay alive.  Peace. V.

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #6002 on: May 03, 2021, 06:31:23 AM »
That’s who she’ll always be to me.

I liked her a lot in AWAY FROM HER.

WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #6003 on: May 03, 2021, 06:49:51 AM »
The problem with denials and retractions? People always remember what they heard first, in general, and that plants the seed of doubt on the denials/retractions that follow. IMHO, you understand? It's what's happening in this Country. The Big Election Lie? You repeat it often enough, some people start to believe it, or believed it from the outset. Same with the Anti-Vax crowd, no difference to me. Snopes has a LOT of overcome to convince some people of lies being told or spread.

I agree with you. They remember the lie, not the retraction. And if you say something often enough and loud enough, people will believe it.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #6004 on: May 03, 2021, 07:14:35 AM »
Olympia Dukakis, the dignified actress who received a supporting Oscar for her performance as Cher's nitpicking Brooklyn mother in Moonstruck, has died. She was 89.

Rose Castorini--always and forever.

But I wouldn't call Rose a nitpicker. I think she's the most grounded character in the story--she knows who she is, and she has a clear view of life.

"If you love them, they drive you crazy because they know they can."

Odd maybe, but Moonstruck is not a movie I watch to make me feel good. It's a movie I watch when I am feeling good. Even I don't get that.

How can you not love a movie where the opening credits music is Dean Martin singing That's Amore?  That brings a smile to my face before the movie even starts. ;D

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #6005 on: May 03, 2021, 10:20:04 AM »
I agree, Jeff. Music, being the Universal Language, can literally SET THE TONE of a film right from the beginning. I love Songs and outtakes at the end of a film too! Two Songs can be the bookends to a film, and send a message through the lyrics at the same time, always gets me, in a dark theater the effect can be mesmerizing, IMHO!  ;)

Oops, this isn't the Film Thread!  :o

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #6006 on: May 03, 2021, 06:01:41 PM »
Cheney slams Trump on 'big lie' over election

By Joseph Choi - 05/03/21

Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) on Monday shot back at former President Trump over his claims that the 2020 election was stolen, accusing those who spread the claim of “poisoning our democratic system.”

“The 2020 presidential election was not stolen,” Cheney tweeted. “Anyone who claims it was is spreading THE BIG LIE, turning their back on the rule of law, and poisoning our democratic system.”

Cheney's tweet came in response to a statement earlier Monday morning from Trump, who called President Biden's victory in the November 2020 election "the big lie."

"The Fraudulent Presidential Election of 2020 will be, from this day forth, known as THE BIG LIE!" Trump said in the statement.

The tweet from Cheney was noteworthy nonetheless given the scrutiny she is under within the House Republican Conference, which she chairs, over her criticisms of Trump.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/551459-cheney-slams-trump-on-big-lie-over-election?fbclid=IwAR1pNgvrVDQdkW8xkoq1Pmw1W9Nk-18JPp7g7oPTKwOViYODKhjAkQTMioM

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6007 on: May 04, 2021, 01:21:52 PM »

While Liz Cheney is correct and I applaud her for standing up in that way, it seems a great deal of the rank and file Republicans just don't care enough to move on from it. They'd rather lie and cheat, actually turn their backs on the rule of law, and thereby poison the democratic system.

It is hard to govern. The GOP doesn't want to govern. They just want to argue, stir up the base with idiocies (they are false prophets) and remain in power by any means possible and lying is their path of choice. Their constant bowing and adherence to the golden calf in Miralago is objectively sad, but also extraordinarily dangerous.

They really need to be soundly roundly defeated at every possible turn.

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #6008 on: May 04, 2021, 01:30:43 PM »
Like the X, they want to rule and reign, but not govern.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #6009 on: May 05, 2021, 10:39:00 AM »
Facebook Oversight Board upholds Donald Trump's suspension from the platform

(CNN Business)Facebook can keep blocking former President Donald Trump from using its platform, the social network's court-like Oversight Board said Wednesday in a landmark move that affirmed the company's decision to issue the suspension after the January 6 US Capitol riots.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/05/tech/donald-trump-facebook-account/index.html
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6010 on: May 05, 2021, 11:28:32 AM »
^^^

I am surprised!  I had watched several news programs last night and they all surmised that it looked like his ban would be lifted, as long as some restrictions were adhered to.

I just read that linked article and it seems like the board punted the decision back to Facebook.

"In applying a vague, standardless penalty and then referring this case to the Board to resolve, Facebook seeks to avoid its responsibilities," the decision said.

So, they threw it back to Facebook saying they need to:  "Reexamine the arbitrary penalty it imposed on January 7 and decide the appropriate penalty," the board wrote in its decision. "This penalty must be based on the gravity of the violation and the prospect of future harm. It must also be consistent with Facebook's rules for severe violations, which must, in turn, be clear, necessary and proportionate."

The announcement from the board was likely a disappointment to Facebook, which had seemingly hoped that it could wash its hands clean of difficult decisions and deflect them to the Oversight Board.

Then the oversight board responded to the notion it had punted it back to Facebook: Oversight Board co-chair Helle Thorning-Schmidt pushed back against the characterization that the board had simply avoided making the tough call and deflected responsibly for the decision back to Facebook. "I don't think we are just passing the buck here," Thorning-Schmidt said, explaining that the board did make a decision to uphold the initial suspension, but believed that an indefinite suspension was not in accordance with Facebook's own rules.

"They can't just invent new, unwritten rules when it suits them," Thorning-Schmidt added. "They have to have a transparent way of doing this."

______

Um, yes...they can invent new unwritten rules when it suits them. It's their company. They can do whatever they want. They invented the board in the first place.

Facebook doesn't want Government Oversight, but they don't want to oversee and fix the bad things Facebook lets happen, either. They also have a lot of arbitrary rules.

Of course, the former defeated President put out a statement, describing the decision as a "total disgrace" and "embarrassment."
And, as usual, he's really just talking about himself.

Last night I was listening to the arguments about this and many people, including other world leaders like Angela Merkel and Putin's political nemesis Alexei Navalny, have the idea that banning him from Facebook is a bad thing; a censorship issue. In the case of Trump, though, do you just let him spout his lies and foment his minions? You know he'd go right back on any of these platforms and lie about the election and disregard any restrictions he was supposed to adhere to. It's not like his views are within any bounds of political disagreement. It's all lies.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #6011 on: May 05, 2021, 12:16:53 PM »
Last night I was listening to the arguments about this and many people, including other world leaders like Angela Merkel and Putin's political nemesis Alexei Navalny, have the idea that banning him from Facebook is a bad thing; a censorship issue. In the case of Trump, though, do you just let him spout his lies and foment his minions? You know he'd go right back on any of these platforms and lie about the election and disregard any restrictions he was supposed to adhere to. It's not like his views are within any bounds of political disagreement. It's all lies.

Maybe somebody should remind Angie and Alexei that Facebook isn't the government. If Facebook doesn't want to let The Great Orange Satan play in its backyard, it can do that. It doesn't have to share its toys if it doesn't want to.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #6012 on: May 05, 2021, 04:07:37 PM »
Facebook Oversight Board upholds Donald Trump's suspension from the platform

(CNN Business)Facebook can keep blocking former President Donald Trump from using its platform, the social network's court-like Oversight Board said Wednesday in a landmark move that affirmed the company's decision to issue the suspension after the January 6 US Capitol riots.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/05/tech/donald-trump-facebook-account/index.html

Happy Dance!!!!

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #6013 on: May 05, 2021, 05:06:04 PM »
And now the GOP is threatening Facebook, "You're going to be sorry.......!!"
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #6014 on: May 05, 2021, 05:14:17 PM »
::)