The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: News and Current Events - 2017 - 2021  (Read 363780 times)

Online fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
Re: News and Current Events - 2017 - 2021
« Reply #6015 on: May 05, 2021, 05:25:05 PM »
Are they going to hold their breath until the country turns blue?

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #6016 on: May 05, 2021, 05:31:17 PM »
I thought the Republicans all left for that 'replacement' for Facebook anyway?

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #6017 on: May 05, 2021, 05:39:42 PM »
So true on both counts, Fritz and Chuck.
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #6018 on: May 05, 2021, 07:25:17 PM »
DeSatin and the FL GOP are ramming thru not only "jim-crow like" election restrictions in FL, they will now attempt to fine privately owned social platforms $250,000 a day if they cut off "FL politicians"  LOL! 
What happen to the GOP's ranting and raving about "big gov" ?? Hipocrites.
News Flash !!  These are privately-owned enterprises.   

Good luck winning that - but the end game is bigger - it's about staying in the news, staying relevant in the GoS's lunatic fringe base and above all raising $$ so they can do more of the above.

Oh DeSatin signed all this BS this AM: -> https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/gop-gov-desantis-signs-florida-election-bill-law/story?id=77530271&cid=clicksource_4380645_1_heads_hero_live_hero_image

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2021/04/30/facebook-youtube-twitter-florida-ban-censor-trump-politicians/4897949001/
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/nod-donald-trump-florida-set-ban-big-tech-deplatforming-rcna784
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2021/05/ron-desantis-josh-hawley-2024-attacking-big-tech

Stay safe, stay alive. Peace.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 10:11:48 AM by gattaca »

Online Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6019 on: May 10, 2021, 01:25:55 PM »

A 20 Year Old Iranian Man Seeking Refuge Killed by His Own Family
https://www.out.com/crime/2021/5/10/killed-by-own-family-member-for-being-gay

i have no words

(but horrible feelings)

Online fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #6020 on: May 10, 2021, 01:54:28 PM »
Grrr.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #6021 on: May 10, 2021, 02:05:54 PM »
god damn.   How awful.

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #6022 on: May 10, 2021, 06:48:53 PM »
Will his death be chalked up to Culture, or Religion? Or both?  :o

Sad indeed, either way........ :(

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #6023 on: May 15, 2021, 09:32:56 AM »
So, Bill Maher is fully vaccinated against COVID-19, and now he's tested positive for it anyway.

Online Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6024 on: May 15, 2021, 12:55:58 PM »
^^^

Yes, I saw that last night when I went to watch his weekly show last night:

______

No vaccine is infallible and they've always said maybe 5%-10% of vaccinated people will still get COVID, but because you're vaccinated symptoms will be minor, or you'll be asymptomatic, and more importantly, no one who has gotten COVID after being vaccinated has succumbed to it, it's a life saver. That's huge.

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #6025 on: May 15, 2021, 03:08:02 PM »
^^^ Be careful. While that's true for many/most, there's a subset who are immune-compromised or have some medical treatments such as cancer where their immune system is compromised, or suppressed (organ-transplants) so even a "breakthrough" would be dangerous.  Yes this is a small subset of the human population but when it's your spouse, child, parent, loved ones, ... then it's not so small.

While I understand the nature of the CDC guidelines as trying to balance returning to "normalcy for the majority" (WTF that means...)  of the US population, everyone still needs to understand the risks to those who may not be able to "stop wearing a mask" or maybe even get vaccinated - not by choice.  With anti-maskers and anti-vaxers prancing around - many who could be and likely are asymptomatic, those ass*(@*(@ could infect and kill someone with their selfish, "my rights mean more than your life" piss-poor attitudes.  :(  So much for those "do unto others"  evangelicals and so called "Christians"..... suffer a minor inconvenience to potentially save someone else's life! 

Also, you should read how we now understand COVID is more of an aerosol which the physics says behaves totally different than we assumed and initially understood!!  Some of the 6' guidance was based on decades old research which is now known to be not accurate.  "Wired" may be pay-walled, try a diff browser.  It's a longer 15 minute and a bit more technical read but worth it if you really want to understand how COVID19 spreads.

https://www.wired.com/story/the-teeny-tiny-scientific-screwup-that-helped-covid-kill

FWIW, the "real" medical papers I'm reading tend state COVID19 is here to stay - at least for several years as the WORLD works thru vaccinations, variants, and understands more on controlling spreads.  Of course, this is not "popular" as we focus on "getting more people vaccinated.. " Then, the next hurdle will be "keeping them vaccinated...."   I get it and understand dealing with the fickle mostly uninformed public is tough.  As more information surfaces - AKA, just like the Wired aerosols analysis, hopefully we will see more things happening in "indoor spaces".   BTW, this example is not first time I've seen "recommendations carried forward for decades" based on assumptions or data from something that should have been re-examined in modern contexts.  I can think of 2 other OTOMH without trying.

FWIW, several vaccine makers  (I know moderna) are preparing "boosters" aka like the annual flu shots.

Until Darwin works thru these bat-shit crazy anti-maskers and anti-vaxxers we will continue seeing "pop-ups" and hot spots -  though hoping not enough to overwhelm hospitals.  Sadly, the unvaccinated and people at high risks even if they are vaccinated will die needlessly.  It's hard to fathom anyone with a lick of common sense placing their heath and longer-term well-being (think long-COVID issues) over politically rooted lies and half-truths still being circulated.  Much of the selfish uncaring public needs a real karma boom-a-rang and rebalance.   

At this point, I'll continue wearing my gear when INSIDE and around people who IDK if they are vaccinated or not.  The last thing we need is with mask requirements being relaxed, is being inside near someone huffing and puffing on exercise machine next to you which is an anti-vaxxer or anti-masker.  That is a recipe for them spreading and more breakthrough cases.  :(  Sadly, all we can do for now is protect ourselves and stay the hell out of FL, TX and any other high rate areas.     

Stay safe, stay alive.  Peace. V.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 05:15:31 AM by gattaca »

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #6026 on: May 15, 2021, 08:05:11 PM »
I totally, absolutely agree with you, Vincent! I gave two girls in the house who are under the age of 7 and who knows how long it'll be till they are vaccinated, so, as you said, we have no clue who out there is vaccinated, so I will continue to wear a mask.

Jonathan and Amy were out today, with masks, and they said that about 75% of the people still were wearing masks.
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #6027 on: May 15, 2021, 10:35:50 PM »
I totally, absolutely agree with you, Vincent! I gave two girls in the house who are under the age of 7 and who knows how long it'll be till they are vaccinated, so, as you said, we have no clue who out there is vaccinated, so I will continue to wear a mask.

Jonathan and Amy were out today, with masks, and they said that about 75% of the people still were wearing masks.

Around here they're still not supposed to even let you through the door without a mask. For now the CD guidelines are making no practical difference.

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #6028 on: May 16, 2021, 09:09:04 AM »
A lot of the businesses here have gone from Masks Required to Masks Recommended now. Not all, but most. My Fitness Center isn't going to the recommended phase for a while yet. But that's only for the public walk areas, you never had to wear your mask while using the machines or equipment with SD in place. Some people would walk on the track, or RUN on it, with Masks on, I couldn't do that! I'll be glad when the requirements are totally lifted here, sure, but continue to do my part for now.

Online Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6029 on: May 16, 2021, 10:44:39 AM »
No vaccine is infallible and they've always said maybe 5%-10% of vaccinated people will still get COVID, but because you're vaccinated symptoms will be minor, or you'll be asymptomatic, and more importantly, no one who has gotten COVID after being vaccinated has succumbed to it, it's a life saver. That's huge.

^^^ Be careful. While that's true for many/most, there's a subset who are immune-compromised or have some medical treatments such as cancer where their immune system is compromised, or suppressed (organ-transplants) so even a "breakthrough" would be dangerous.  Yes this is a small subset of the human population but when it's your spouse, child, parent, loved ones, ... then it's not so small.

I'm not sure what you mean exactly by "Be Careful. While that's true for many/most..."  It's true that right now that "no one has succumbed to COVID after being fully vaccinated," according to the CDC's website. (Is the CDC info just for the U.S., or world-wide?) It's also true that they say on the website: "a small percentage of people who are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 will still get sick and some may be hospitalized or succumb from COVID-19", which is what you're implying might happen with those whose immune systems are compromised. "Will get sick." Yes. "May be hospitalized or succumb..." No one has yet.