The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: News and Current Events - 2017 - 2021  (Read 393380 times)

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
Re: News and Current Events - 2017 - 2021
« Reply #6090 on: June 24, 2021, 07:50:59 PM »
I have to say, I like the English one.  ;D

Online fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #6091 on: June 24, 2021, 09:08:43 PM »
 :D

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Online Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6092 on: June 25, 2021, 12:00:11 PM »
The Pandemic Led To The Biggest Drop In U.S. Life Expectancy Since WWII, Study Finds

A new study estimates that life expectancy in the U.S. decreased by nearly two years between 2018 and 2020, largely due to the COVID-19 pandemic. And the declines were most pronounced among minority groups, including Black and Hispanic people.

I do wish that articles like this one would stop using Systemic Racism or Institutional Racism terms because those have become buzz words that polarize people. Notice that line above that says "declines were most pronounced among minority groups, including Black and Hispanic people." Why not just stop at "minority groups?"

A lot of the vaccine hesitancy, when you see the maps, is in the southern states, comprised of a lot of poor and uneducated white people as well. (And delusional Republicans.) Why not use the words structural and/or systemic inequality. If we are interested in equality, single out the problems and solutions for all disadvantaged people and stop thinking of the problems as specifics instead of generalities because the wealth gap among the population is more of an inequality that needs addressing in this country, if I'm being clear about this.

This would also benefit gay people in these religious liberty cases the Supreme Court keeps taking. Religions should be accused of systemic inequality when they refuse services to LGBT persons for whatever reason they feel like, as though LGBT people are not part of their own religions, which many are. So the religions are basically discriminating against their own members.

(I'm thinking of the current case they have about the City of Philadelphia requiring the Catholic church not to discriminate against married LGBT persons in adoption cases, if they're using city funds. What's very weird about this is that they do not hesitate to place children with LGBT people who are not married. So they'd rather place children with single LGBT persons than committed married LGBT couples. Makes no sense.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #6093 on: June 25, 2021, 12:30:07 PM »
I do wish that articles like this one would stop using Systemic Racism or Institutional Racism terms because those have become buzz words that polarize people. Notice that line above that says "declines were most pronounced among minority groups, including Black and Hispanic people." Why not just stop at "minority groups?"

Could be bad writing, too, especially if that's a news article. These days never underestimate the power of a news reporter to be a bad writer. If the writer wanted to emphasize that (perhaps) Blacks and Hispanics suffered worse than other minorities (Native Americans, Asians), maybe "particularly" would have been a better word.

But I get your point.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #6094 on: June 25, 2021, 12:32:39 PM »
If somebody could write an opera about Nixon in China, somebody could write an opera about Giuliani's self-destruction.

I have no sympathy for the man, but I still feel what he's done to himself is tragic.

Online fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #6095 on: June 25, 2021, 12:45:28 PM »
The apotheosis of hubris.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #6096 on: June 25, 2021, 02:39:00 PM »
The apotheosis of hubris.

Right out of some ancient Greek drama.

Whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #6097 on: June 25, 2021, 04:22:03 PM »

Judge sentences Derek Chauvin to over 22 years for murder of George Floyd

Crystal Hill - June 25, 2021

Former Minneapolis Police Officer Derek Chauvin was sentenced Friday to 22 and a half years in prison for the murder of George Floyd, more than one year after Floyd’s death sparked an international movement against police brutality.

Hennepin County Judge Peter Cahill, who presided over Chauvin’s murder trial, handed down a sentence of 270 months for charges of second-degree unintentional murder, third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter in Floyd’s May 25, 2020, death. Chauvin received a credit of 199 days served in prison. A jury convicted him of the charges on April 20.

“What the sentence is not based on is emotion or sympathy,” Cahill said. “But at the same time, I want to acknowledge the deep and tremendous pain that all the families are feeling, especially the Floyd family. I’m not going to attempt to be profound or clever because it’s not the appropriate time. I’m not basing my sentence on public opinion. I’m not basing it on any attempt to send any messages.”

Chauvin faced significant prison time for Floyd’s death. The most serious offense, second-degree murder, carries a penalty of up to 40 years in prison, according to Minnesota law. The other charges, third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter, can result in imprisonment of up to 25 and 10 years, respectively. Prosecutors wanted 30 years, while Chauvin’s attorney, Eric Nelson, asked for probation and time served. Floyd’s family wanted the maximum sentence.

https://news.yahoo.com/judge-sentences-derek-chauvin-to-22-years-for-murder-of-george-floyd-200220808.html

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #6098 on: June 25, 2021, 06:07:40 PM »
Right out of some ancient Greek drama.

Whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad.
[/b]

Jeff, this is so very true in his case. I believe he truly has lost his sanity.
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #6099 on: June 26, 2021, 10:02:17 AM »
A judge expressed skepticism about arguments from Mike Lindell, Sidney Powell, and Rudy Giuliani, who want Dominion's defamation lawsuits against them dismissed

Jacob Shamsian Jun 24, 2021

A federal judge heard arguments on Thursday over whether to allow multibillion-dollar defamation lawsuits from Dominion Voting Systems to proceed against Rudy Giuliani, Sidney Powell, and MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell.

Over four hours of arguments, attorneys for each of the defendants tried to convince US District Judge Carl J. Nichols that Dominion's lawsuits over their clients' conspiracy theories about the 2020 election should be thrown out of court.

Dominion sued Giuliani, Powell, and MyPillow in three separate lawsuits filed in January and February, each one alleging $1.3 billion in damages.

Nichols did not issue an opinion from the bench at the conclusion of Thursday's hearing, opting to deliver a written opinion at a later date. Dominion has asked for a jury trial in each case.

Giuliani represented President Donald Trump as an attorney in lawsuits seeking to overturn the election results. Trump's election team fired Powell, but she filed four failed lawsuits on her own seeking to do the same. And Lindell — when all other efforts to overturn the election were unsuccessful — went on an extensive media tour alleging that Dominion had been manipulated by foreign actors and falsified the election results.

Attorneys for Giuliani, Powell, and Lindell have submitted a wide variety of legal defenses in recent months asking Nichols to throw out the lawsuits. They have argued that Dominion cannot prove their clients acted with "reckless disregard for the truth," and that a federal court in Washington, DC, was the wrong venue for the legal action.

https://www.businessinsider.com/judge-weighs-dismissing-dominion-lawsuits-against-rudy-giuliani-sidney-powell-mike-lindell-mypillow-2021-6

Online Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6100 on: June 26, 2021, 10:45:46 AM »
A judge expressed skepticism

To put it mildly.   :laugh:

Those lawsuits should not be dismissed. These three people have caused serious harm to the integrity of our election systems going forward and it all needs to be dealt with. These companies need to be vindicated from the idiocy of these three cretins and the cretins need to pay the price for their lies and mischief. To put it mildly.

Online Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6101 on: June 26, 2021, 10:46:55 AM »
Could be bad writing, too, especially if that's a news article. These days never underestimate the power of a news reporter to be a bad writer.

You are correct about that. Almot anyone who writes about current events online is considered a journalist.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #6102 on: June 26, 2021, 10:47:49 AM »
To put it mildly.   :laugh:

Those lawsuits should not be dismissed. These three people have caused serious harm to the integrity of our election systems going forward and it all needs to be dealt with. These companies need to be vindicated from the idiocy of these three cretins and the cretins need to pay the price for their lies and mischief. To put it mildly.

I completely agree.   Hiding behind the "right of free speech" to spread outright lies and defame companies is wrong on so many levels.

I truly hope these cases are not dismissed, and when they go to court, they are found guilty and then dealt with.

Online Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6103 on: June 26, 2021, 10:51:32 AM »
If somebody could write an opera about Nixon in China,

I'll go you one better. There was an opera written about the Jerry Springer show.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Springer:_The_Opera

David Soul was in it. (There's clips of it on youtube.)

Online Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6104 on: June 26, 2021, 10:58:25 AM »
I truly hope these cases are not dismissed, and when they go to court, they are found guilty and then dealt with.

Totally agree. The one thing we know about these people is that they will not give up their insanity unless forced to...and even then one wonders. They're like those birthday candles you blow out and they keep lighting back up.