The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: News and Current Events - 2017 - 2022  (Read 753042 times)

Offline Pepe1

• Expert
Re: News and Current Events - 2017
« Reply #75 on: January 16, 2017, 03:06:32 PM »
I hate fake news, it really has gotten out of control..  anyway like I said Happy Martin Luther King day!

We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
« Reply #76 on: January 16, 2017, 03:25:13 PM »

Happy Martin Luther King day!

I'll second that. :)

Offline suelyblu

• Striped socks and dusty shoes
  • Obsessed
    • suelyblu
« Reply #77 on: January 16, 2017, 07:41:23 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38645787

Thank God.
Another one down.How many more to go ?
"I  know that ghosts have wondered on the earth,
 Be with me always. Take any form. Drive me mad,
 only do not leave me in the dark alone, where I cannot
 find you.
 I cannot live without my life.
 I cannot die without my soul.

Offline Pepe1

• Expert
« Reply #78 on: January 17, 2017, 09:30:56 AM »
The LAPD will be massively out in force Friday, bracing for what they believe could be large, unruly crowds protesting the beginning of the Trump presidency.

Law enforcement sources tell TMZ, LAPD cops will have riot gear at the ready as they try to control the various demonstrations they are expecting.

As for how much police will tolerate ... not a lot. We're told if demonstrators try to block traffic, freeways or vandalize anything ... they'll be arrested.

And, we're told, there will be special focus on social media, which could set the direction of the protests.

There are certain locations that will get special police attention ... the Federal Building in Westwood, Hollywood and Highland and freeways.

Our sources say cops are mindful of the constitutional right of demonstrators to protest ... they just can't cross the line.

http://www.tmz.com/2017/01/17/trump-inauguration-lapd-protests-riots/

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
« Reply #79 on: January 17, 2017, 10:49:20 AM »
I have decided to also not attend the inauguration.  ;D

(Or any of the inaugural balls I was not invited to.)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #80 on: January 17, 2017, 11:00:06 AM »
The LAPD will be massively out in force Friday, bracing for what they believe could be large, unruly crowds protesting the beginning of the Trump presidency.

^^^

That sounds ominous.  :)  There were protests when G.W. Bush took office the first time, because
of the electoral circumstances, but there wasn't any trouble.  I'm sure Los Angeles isn't the only
city that is having demonstrations, either.

L.A. Weekly says:

City records show the Los Angeles Police Department has granted at least three special-events permits for marches downtown on Jan. 20.  All three marches are scheduled to converge at around 1 p.m. in front of City Hall.

The LAPD special events calendar indicates there will be a rally starting at 10 a.m. at Broadway and Olympic. That march will be convened by a group called the Full Rights for Immigrants Coalition, which will likewise march to City Hall. A group called CA for Progress is calling for a "United Against Hate-Inauguration March" downtown from 11 a.m. on. The specific location has not been announced, but some sources indicate this will be part of the Immigrants Coalition just mentioned. The California Latino Congreso is calling for an Inauguration Day rally at 1 p.m. at this same location, the corner of Broadway and Olympic Boulevard in downtown L.A. The Latino Congreso is an alliance of immigrant advocates and supporters including L.A. City Councilmembers Herb Wesson and Gilbert A. Cedillo. After the rally, supporters will march to City Hall. In Boyle Heights, community activists will convene a rally at 11 a.m. in Mariachi Plaza, at Boyle Avenue and First Street.  After the rally in Mariachi Plaza, protesters will march through Boyle Heights and across the river to La Plaza Olvera, then on to join the Latino Congreso protest at City Hall.

The swearing-in of Donald Trump has elicited other calls for political protest in L.A., in addition to the marches for immigrant rights:

There will be a "Rally to Save Roe" on the day before Inauguration Day, Jan. 19, at 4 p.m. on Fairfax Avenue between Clinton Street and Rosewood Avenue, according to LAPD's special-events calendar.

And on the day after Inauguration Day, on Jan. 21, there will be a "Women's March" gathering in Pershing Square at 9 a.m. and departing for a march to City Hall at 10 am.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #81 on: January 17, 2017, 11:04:26 AM »

But...the weather might put a damper on everything here in Los Angeles.  We literally have not had significant rainfall in
Southern California for the past 7 years. This year we're actually having some rain occasionally!  The National Weather
Service today says, "A round of three storms will take aim at California this week and this weekend. Each storm will bring
locally drenching rain and heavy mountain snow, with the potential for flooding and travel disruptions.

HERE THEY COME...

"The first storm will spread southward through California on Wednesday and Thursday with a second to follow Friday,
lingering into Saturday. A third storm will swing in Sunday and may have major impacts that linger into Tuesday.
Incidents of urban flooding are likely in Sacramento, San Francisco, Los Angeles and San Diego, California. They
may have a significant impact as far east as Palm Springs and Las Vegas."

As our local NBC weatherman said last night, "We're expecting three storms, but it will more likely
seem to you like one long storm from Wednesday night to Tuesday morning!"

I'm sure that this will lessen the turnout of the Los Angeles demonstrations.

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
  • ...suspended above ordinary affairs...
« Reply #82 on: January 17, 2017, 11:05:56 AM »
I've taken a half day Friday to go here...if i don't go home first...odds of me leaving after being home are slim...

Thousands expected to protest Trump at Auditorium Shores
As Inauguration Day nears, more than 40 local organizations are preparing for a march and rally next Friday in downtown Austin that’s expected to draw more than 3,500 anti-Donald Trump protesters to Auditorium Shores.
Bye, Felicia

"What a maroon."  Bugs Bunny

"I try to be good...I only manage it in streaks."

Offline Pepe1

• Expert
« Reply #83 on: January 17, 2017, 11:07:53 AM »
I have decided to also not attend the inauguration.  ;D

(Or any of the inaugural balls I was not invited to.)

LOL now you tell me, I was suppose to be your date, what I am suppose to do with that dress I paid 10 grand for?

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #84 on: January 17, 2017, 11:20:18 AM »

If you do go, Nancy, let us know what it was like.

Yesterday, Reince Priebus tried to tell us all that Republicans never questioned the
legitimacy of President Obama.  I guess the Republican party and Trump's whole
years long birther thing was just an expression of support.

The biggest reason to demonstrate at all, if one has any inclination to do so, is
that it really just irks the Donald not to be liked and thought of in the grandest
light. He could have a mental breakdown. As Seth Myers hinted, "so Trump will
be inaugurated on Friday and then Mike Pence will be inaugurated on Monday."

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
  • ...suspended above ordinary affairs...
« Reply #85 on: January 17, 2017, 11:24:25 AM »
I both look forward to and dread the first time he is stopped from doing something he wants done...the 16 year old girl will come out in him and he'll look like a fool. 

I still can't imagine: one week from being sworn in as president, and he's on twitter about SNL.  Every day it seems he gets more and more away from reality...
Bye, Felicia

"What a maroon."  Bugs Bunny

"I try to be good...I only manage it in streaks."

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #86 on: January 17, 2017, 11:45:47 AM »
^^^
Yes,  I guess we're in for: "fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night."

I heard an amusing enough joke.

"What are they serving to eat at Trump's inaugural ball?"

"The guests will dine on Pasta Putinesca."

Offline Pepe1

• Expert
« Reply #87 on: January 17, 2017, 11:59:03 AM »

President Trump: The Inauguration

4pm, BBC One/ STV

"After a long absence, The Twilight Zone returns with one of the most ambitious, expensive and controversial productions in broadcast history. Sci-fi writers have dabbled often with alternative history stories - among the most common is the "What If The Nazis Had Won The Second World War" setting - but this huge interactive virtual reality project, which will unfold on TV, in the press, and on Twitter over the next four years, sets out to build an ongoing alternative present.

The story begins in a nightmarish version of 2017 in which huge sections of the US electorate have somehow been duped into voting to make Donald Trump president. It sounds far-fetched, and it is, but as it goes on it becomes more and more chillingly plausible. Today's feature-length opener concentrates on the gaudy inauguration of President Trump, and the stirrings of protest and despair surrounding the ceremony, while pundits speculate gravely on what lies ahead. It's a flawed piece, but a disturbing glimpse of the horrors we could stumble into, if we're not careful."

:laugh:

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #88 on: January 17, 2017, 01:08:27 PM »

LOL now you tell me, I was suppose to be your date, what I am suppose to do with that dress I paid 10 grand for?

If you left the tags on it, I'm sure you can return it.  ;D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #89 on: January 17, 2017, 01:13:31 PM »
I both look forward to and dread the first time he is stopped from doing something he wants done...the 16 year old girl will come out in him and he'll look like a fool.

Agreed! 

I still can't imagine: one week from being sworn in as president, and he's on twitter about SNL.  Every day it seems he gets more and more away from reality...

I remember the fuss to make Obama give up his Blackberry for security reasons. Isn't anybody trying to stop this buffoon from tweeting?