The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: News and Current Events - 2017 - 2022  (Read 753049 times)

Offline Pepe1

• Expert
Re: News and Current Events - 2017
« Reply #105 on: January 18, 2017, 09:39:58 AM »
I was just going to say "wasn't that a good thing"  ::)

Dalai Lama: 5 things to keep in mind for the next four years

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/18/health/dalai-lama-guide-to-surviving-trump/index.html

I like this one:

"Constant anger is very bad for our health," His Holiness said. "I try to keep compassion" constantly in mind and then stay "surrounded by (other) compassionate people" that can reduce your anger. Do that and your health will be "much better."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #106 on: January 18, 2017, 10:05:21 AM »
"Constant anger is very bad for our health," His Holiness said.

That is most certainly true.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #107 on: January 18, 2017, 11:49:33 AM »

Yes, constant anger fueled the rise of the Tea Party. That anger led to huge
gains in Congress by the Republicans in 2010 and that anger ultimately led
to an angry candidate and his election to office. This years long constant anger
has been bad for our country's health indeed.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #108 on: January 18, 2017, 11:56:33 AM »
Obama's last big mistake

WikiLeaks celebrates Chelsea Manning's commutation

I was surprised to hear this, but I don't think it was a mistake. Some people
are conflating this with being pardoned. Manning wasn't pardoned, the very
extreme sentence was just being commuted, so it's not as though Manning was
being found innocent of the charges.

Whether one agrees with the action or not, why would it be a mistake?

(I heard some reporters saying it was more of an act of mercy and the
lawyer believed it saved Manning's life.)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #109 on: January 18, 2017, 12:57:05 PM »
I get emails from MoveOn.org, and this is link for the Sister Marches all over the world.

https://www.womensmarch.com/sisters?source=moveon

We're planning to attend the one in Downtown L.A., but I see there is one in Beverly Hills, too,
which I didn't know about.  If the projected weather is severe, as they say it might be, this option
would be easier to go to, so thanks for the link, Linda.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #110 on: January 18, 2017, 12:57:45 PM »

Speaking of the weather:

I've heard the drought situation in California has really dropped from dangerous levels to more manageable now.  Will any of these three storms hit areas that still really need water?

Hi, Chuck, well...in an article I read today there was this sentence, "Drought conditions persist in Southern California, but in the north, it's near over, for now anyway.

Caption for this photo: Northern California has been
inundated with rain and snow, which is flooding some
rivers and filling basins that have been dry for years.

Northern California benefitted from El Nino last winter whereas Southern California got none which
puzzled all the meteorologists. The year after an El Nino year there's usually a La Nina which was
worrying them because that would usually mean a dry winter.  But Southern California has been
getting rain this winter, in fact we're above the average this year already, which still isn't what
most of you in other parts of the country would think was a lot.  And what they call "the pineapple
express" is coming this week.  That's a series of conditions when water from around Hawaii in the
Pacific is brought up into the atmosphere and carried to the West Coast in a series of storms. I read
that the amount of water these storms carry can be more than contained in the entire Mississippi river!

So it is certainly helping SoCal and the rest of California, but the state announced Tuesday they are
keeping the conservation rules in place and will re-evaluate them later in the year.

The worry in SoCal this week is that because of the 7 years we've had no rain, all the plants and
trees and whatever that haven't been getting much water don't have a good hold on the soil with
their root systems, so excessive rain can just saturate it quickly and the earth will give way. We
already had someone's backyard topple down a hill into Laurel Canyon Blvd. and cause the road
to be closed for several days. (That's the winding road that connects West Hollywood to the valley
(Studio City).  Mario Lopez tweeted pictures of his backyard caving in from somewhere up there,
too.  Plus, very few people have checked all their rain gutters for years. When we had a good rain
recently we discovered our apartment building's system quickly got clogged with dirt and mud.

Since it has been so rare for years, I am loving it, though!

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #111 on: January 18, 2017, 01:30:43 PM »

We're planning to attend the one in Downtown L.A., but I see there is one in Beverly Hills, too,
which I didn't know about.  If the projected weather is severe, as they say it might be, this option
would be easier to go to, so thanks for the link, Linda.

Glad to help, Lyle!!
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline Pepe1

• Expert
« Reply #112 on: January 18, 2017, 02:04:25 PM »

Barbara Bush Admitted to Hospital as President George H.W. Bush Remains in ICU

Former First Lady Barbara Bush has been admitted to the hospital as a “precaution” as her husband, former President George H. W. Bush, remains in the ICU after he was hospitalized over the weekend for “shortness of breath.”

According to a statement from the office of the 92-year-old former commander-in-chief — tweeted by his post-White House spokesman Jim McGrath — Barbara was admitted to the Houston Methodist Hospital Wednesday morning “as a precaution after experiencing fatigue and coughing.”

Meanwhile, the former president is “stable and resting comfortably in the ICU, where he will remain for observation” at the same hospital. It was stated that the 41st president underwent a procedure to address “an acute respiratory problem stemming from pneumonia.”..

George H.W. Bush sent letter to Trump on Jan. 10 stating he couldn't attend Inauguration: "We will be with you and the country in spirit." pic.twitter.com/zcoieQJmP6

— ABC News (@ABC) January 18, 2017

http://people.com/politics/barbara-bush-hospitalized-george-hw-bush-remains-in-icu/

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #113 on: January 18, 2017, 02:10:21 PM »

I mentioned this once before at some point in the past, but I still find this fact pretty
amazing. President Clinton served two full terms in office and he was followed by
President G. W. Bush who served two full terms and when President Obama leaves
office this Friday, he will have served two full terms as well.

It seems like this wouldn't be so unusual in our history, but it hasn't happened in nearly
200 years!  The last time we had three successive two term Presidents they were Thomas
Jefferson, James Madison and James Monroe, way back in the first quarter of the 1800's!

With the past three two-term presidents, when most people attended college, there was one
President who served during those 4 years they were in college. Today I was thinking that when
I went to college, during those 4 years there were 3 Presidents and 4 Vice-Presidents!

When I went to college, Nixon was President and Spiro Agnew Vice-President. Agnew resigned
and Gerald Ford became Vice-President. Nixon resigned and Ford became President. Ford chose
Nelson Rockefeller to be Vice-President. We then had an election and Jimmy Carter became the
President and Walter Mondale the Vice-President. Talk about current events!

Offline Pepe1

• Expert
« Reply #114 on: January 19, 2017, 11:31:26 AM »
Donald Trump and First Lady-to-be Melania have touched down in their new home, and they made quite the arrival.

The Prez-elect and his whole family -- all of his kids, their spouses, his grandkids -- plus various aides just walked off a military jet (Air Force One is still at least a day away) at Andrews Air Force Base.

They've got a busy day ahead -- the traditional wreath-laying ceremony and then the Make America Great Again Welcome Concert.

Then there's something happening Friday, or so we hear.

:laugh:

www.tmz.com/2017/01/19/donald-trump-and-family-arrive-in-dc/

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #115 on: January 19, 2017, 11:35:27 AM »
Then there's something happening Friday, or so we hear.

I know there's nothing funny going on here, yet, somehow, the idea of the whole clan trooping into Washington strikes me as ... funny.  ::)

Offline Pepe1

• Expert
« Reply #116 on: January 19, 2017, 11:47:58 AM »

I know there's nothing funny going on here, yet, somehow, the idea of the whole clan trooping into Washington strikes me as ... funny.  ::)

Exactly, me too, all I can think of is this for some reason:

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #117 on: January 19, 2017, 12:44:57 PM »
Exactly, me too, all I can think of is this for some reason:

Come and listen to my story 'bout a man named Trump. ...

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #118 on: January 19, 2017, 02:49:58 PM »

Nothing about what is happening or is about to happen strikes me as even remotely amusing.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #119 on: January 19, 2017, 04:45:06 PM »
Nothing about what is happening or is about to happen strikes me as even remotely amusing.

"If I laugh, it is but that I may not cry."