The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: News and Current Events - 2017  (Read 127041 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
Re: News and Current Events - 2017
« Reply #2895 on: April 11, 2019, 06:23:17 PM »
I just found it more than absurdly ridiculous for anyone with half a brain to equate a chocolate Easter bunny with racism and more absurdly ridiculous that the store bought into their bullshit.  that's all...

I agree.

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #2896 on: April 12, 2019, 02:28:33 AM »
I just found it more than absurdly ridiculous for anyone with half a brain to equate a chocolate Easter bunny with racism and more absurdly ridiculous that the store bought into their bullshit.  that's all...

I agree, Nancy. But Waitrose has a reputation for ethical values, fair trade, reliable sourcing of meat, and high quality generally, and I suppose they didn’t want it tarnishing their image!

On the whole it’s an excellent shop, and I go to my nearest one often.
“When we grow older still we’ll speak about those two young men as if they were two strangers..... And we’ll want to call it envy, because to call it regret would break our hearts.”

Call Me by Your Name, André Aciman.

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2897 on: April 12, 2019, 07:13:49 AM »
I don't think this Brexit thing is EVER going to happen!! LOL....May and the rest of the politicos will be dead and gone before this is done! IMHO, you understand?  :o

Offline brian

• Obsessed
« Reply #2898 on: April 12, 2019, 01:02:06 PM »
When I was staying in London (Chelsea) I walked the 10 to 15 minutes to Waitrose rather than use the Sainsbury right opposite my apartment. I was impressed.  They even had free coffee although I never tried it, i guess it was just brewed coffee which I do not like.

Offline Paul029

• Obsessed
« Reply #2899 on: April 13, 2019, 07:14:52 AM »

Nice to see an example, for once, of a positive outcome for nature and wildlife ...

Lost watercourse flows again in Somerset after more than 60 years

Restoration of unnamed tributary of River Chew offers new habitat for rare wildlife.

The half-kilometre tributary of the River Chew, which runs from the Mendip Hills down to the River Avon, was severed by a dam in 1956, when the valley was flooded to form the Chew Valley Lake reservoir to supply water to Bristol and Bath.

Downstream, the ecosystem withered into a dry ditch and died. An important ecological corridor was lost for aquatic creatures which had been using the route since the last ice age. Instead, an occasional spill from the reservoir was diverted into a concrete spillway, bypassing the old riverbed and destroying the central linking piece of the route’s ecological jigsaw.

The water has now been redirected as part of a restoration project by Bristol Water, with Bristol Avon Rivers Trust and other partners. The river’s revival has included dramatic re-engineering of reservoir overflows, redirecting water along its former path.

The restored route meanders through an abandoned 1950s poplar and alder plantation. Dense thickets of bramble and shady canopy have been opened up to encourage river wildlife, bringing in light and encouraging aquatic plants, and the channel has been reshaped with berms, riffles and pools so undesirable silt buildup is scoured out by the natural energy of a faster current, opening up fish and invertebrate spawning areas.

Vulnerable populations of water voles, eels, and white clawed crayfish should be able to weave their way upstream and recolonize the area. Fish likely to return include salmon, trout, chub, perch, bream, carp, pike, minnow and stickleback.

Otters, kingfishers, barn owls and rare bats already hunt close by. Spring forest floor flowers have reappeared on the river banks. Chattering green woodpeckers and orange-tip butterflies flash through fresh sunlight among primroses, wild garlic and bluebells.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/apr/12/lost-river-returns-somerset-70-years-after-dried-up
...there was no real scent, only the memory of it, the imagined power of Brokeback Mountain...

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #2900 on: April 13, 2019, 08:55:35 AM »
Very nice.
“When we grow older still we’ll speak about those two young men as if they were two strangers..... And we’ll want to call it envy, because to call it regret would break our hearts.”

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #2901 on: April 13, 2019, 08:58:39 AM »
When I was staying in London (Chelsea) I walked the 10 to 15 minutes to Waitrose rather than use the Sainsbury right opposite my apartment. I was impressed.  They even had free coffee although I never tried it, i guess it was just brewed coffee which I do not like.

You do have to have a Waitrose card and spend at least £10, but you also get a free newspaper.

Not sure what you mean by ‘brewed’. It’s freshly made in a machine with coffee beans, and is very good IMO!

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #2902 on: April 13, 2019, 09:05:53 AM »
Nice to see an example, for once, of a positive outcome for nature and wildlife ...

Lost watercourse flows again in Somerset after more than 60 years

Restoration of unnamed tributary of River Chew offers new habitat for rare wildlife.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/apr/12/lost-river-returns-somerset-70-years-after-dried-up

This is a great story, Paul.  I agree, nice to see a positive outcome for nature!

Offline Paul029

• Obsessed
« Reply #2903 on: April 13, 2019, 08:57:27 PM »
Thank you, Chuck.  :)

It’d be even better if it happened more often, especially after what happened here recently, with a million fish dying due to disastrous water management of our country’s major Murray-Darling River Basin.
...there was no real scent, only the memory of it, the imagined power of Brokeback Mountain...

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2904 on: April 15, 2019, 09:17:05 AM »
Mayor Pete announced, Tiger WINS the Masters, and Trump raises 30 million for his re-election? LORD!! I thought he was SELF-FUNDING everything? Whatever, we'll all be exhausted by the time we get to the voting booths!!  :o

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2905 on: April 15, 2019, 10:30:44 AM »

Pete B.'s announcement speech was just beautiful. Something I could not have imagined even a few years ago.
Leaving out the political aspects, it made me think that's what most black people felt when Jesse Jackson became
a candidate or what women felt when Geraldine Ferraro was nominated for Vice-President.

It's about 40 minutes and there's numerous youtube postings.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2906 on: April 15, 2019, 11:06:14 AM »
Whatever, we'll all be exhausted by the time we get to the voting booths!

I'm tired of it already.

As of this post there's only
567 days
13,619 hours
817,195 minutes
49,031,631 seconds
...to go...

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
  • ...suspended above ordinary affairs...
« Reply #2907 on: April 15, 2019, 11:21:33 AM »
some people just don't have enough to worry about...too aggressive?  WTF does that mean?

Putting American flags on police cars sparks backlash in Laguna Beach

A decision to affix an American flag graphic to the side of freshly painted Laguna Beach police cars is dividing residents, who are alternately praising the image as patriotic or panning it as too aggressive.

After hearing the criticism and acknowledging that the image they approved didn’t quite match the final results, officials agreed to reconsider their February decision to paint the Laguna Beach Police Department’s fleet of 11 squad cars. The City Council will take up the issue again at its Tuesday meeting.

“People are screaming that the American flag on a police car is somehow or another ... hurting people’s feelings who might be immigrants or visitors,” said Councilman Peter Blake. “People are actually ridiculous enough to bring up comments about our cop cars having American flags on them.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/putting-american-flags-on-police-cars-sparks-backlash-in-laguna-beach/ar-BBVUtnt

“Leave the gun.  Take the cannoli.”

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #2908 on: April 15, 2019, 11:36:34 AM »

While I do agree it's much ado about nothing, given the political state of the US no, and the focus on immigration, I can understand why seeing a law enforcement vehicle with the flag of the country on it could cause others to feel intimidated.

Just out of curiosity, I went to Google and did an image search on the following  police cars:

British police car, Italian police car, Ireland police car, Spanish police car, Finnish police car, Mexican police car, Swedish police car, Puerto Rico police car, Russian police car, Iraq police car, Iran police car, Australia police car, New Zealand police car, Ukraine police car, Brazil police car.

None of those cars had their country's flag or colors painted on them.  The only exception is the one I bolded, the Spanish police car, and there was an exception to that.  The police cars for town forces had no national colors on them.  The car used by the Spanish National Police (to differentiate it) had a stripe that matched the Spanish flag.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2909 on: April 15, 2019, 11:50:54 AM »

Maybe they could paint them pink:

I like this one: