The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: News and Current Events - 2017 - 2022  (Read 763278 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
Re: News and Current Events - 2017
« Reply #3090 on: June 09, 2019, 06:08:30 PM »
This is PRIDE weekend in Los Angeles/West Hollywood and the parade was today!

Philadelphia and Washington, too.

Good news fpr Pete Buttigieg on PRIDE day today, too.

I was out last night, as I do on Saturday nights, and in the bar there was a young man wearing one of those "But Edge Edge" t-shirts. I leaned over to him and said, "We love our Mayor Pete!"

He responded, "Oh, thank you! Nobody ever gets the shirt!"  :laugh:

Offline Paul029

• Obsessed
« Reply #3091 on: June 10, 2019, 01:02:52 AM »
White stork pair could become first of their species to breed in UK for 600 years

The birds’ habit of building huge nests and faithfully returning to them each year has seen them play an important role in history, culture and folklore across Europe. Although the occasional wild stork flies across Britain, the birds are believed not to have successfully bred there since 1416, though some believe wild storks fledged chicks as late as the English civil war.

Male white stork joins his mate in their nest on top of an oak tree at Knepp estate

The enormous birds are brooding three eggs on the grounds of the rewilded Knepp Castle Estate in Sussex as part of a project to reintroduce the species to south-east England.

The decision to select the estate as a home for the storks is because the breeding of this particular species is rooted in the area’s history. In the Domesday Book the Saxon name for the nearby village of Storrington in West Sussex was originally ‘Estorchestone,’ or the homestead of the white storks, and the bird still features on the town’s crest.

The storks have been brought back in a collaboration between three private landowners in south-east England, the Cotswold Wildlife Park, the Roy Dennis Wildlife Foundation and the Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust, an expert in restoring endangered bird species.

Storks with clipped wings from the Warsaw Zoo were introduced into a large, fox-proof, open-topped pen three years ago. Conservationists hoped these would attract passing wild storks, which has happened. But within weeks of being released into the pen one bird had defied its clipped wings to take flight and escape, and was subsequently spotted in Norfolk, Hampshire and Dorset.

One of the fears with the project was that British-reared birds would not be capable of flying to continental Europe and mixing with its wild populations, nor undertake the migration to spend the winter in sub-Saharan Africa. While the bird which escaped flew off to Brittany it later returned to its pen, showing that migration is possible—that the birds can go off to Europe and fly back to Britain.

Additional birds bred in captivity will be released over the next five years, with the aim of a self-sustaining wild population by 2030.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/may/22/white-storks-could-become-first-to-breed-in-wild-in-uk-for-centuries
...there was no real scent, only the memory of it, the imagined power of Brokeback Mountain...

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3092 on: June 10, 2019, 01:16:59 AM »
Finally, some piece of good news! That's wonderful, Paul.

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #3093 on: June 10, 2019, 04:30:06 AM »
Very good.

And Pete G’s rise too!

Offline Paul029

• Obsessed
« Reply #3094 on: June 10, 2019, 09:53:02 PM »
Thanks Elena, Sara—yes, it’s nice when the news isn’t always about “doom and gloom” in the world.  :)
...there was no real scent, only the memory of it, the imagined power of Brokeback Mountain...

Offline Paul029

• Obsessed
« Reply #3095 on: June 10, 2019, 09:54:23 PM »
The World’s Largest Bee Is Not Extinct
An expedition of conservationists have found a living Wallace’s Giant Bee on a remote Indonesian island.

It’s been 38 years since scientists last spotted the insect, a rare species found only in the North Molucca islands of Indonesia. With a wingspan of 2.5 inches and a body the size of a human thumb, it’s considered the world’s largest bee species.

Wallace’s Giant Bee (Megachile pluto), shown with a honey bee for scale.

The bee collects nectar to feed to its young, but doesn't produce honey like the European honeybee or some Australian natives, and can sting repeatedly as it doesn't die after the first sting.

Wallace’s Giant Bee is named after Alfred Russel Wallace, an English explorer and entomologist who worked with Charles Darwin to formulate the theory of evolution through natural selection. Wallace first discovered the bee on an expedition to Indonesia in 1859, describing the female as “a large black wasp-like insect with immense jaws like a stag beetle.” Though Wallace didn’t seem particularly interested in the bee—he devoted only a single line to it in his journal—it became something of an obsession among biologists.

Despite its conspicuous size, the bee remained elusive, and was feared to be extinct, with almost nothing known about the female’s secretive life cycle involving making nests of tree resin inside active arboreal termite mounds. The bee was not seen again until 122 years later, when several were observed in the wild in 1981 by American entomologist Adam C. Messer, who returned home with a handful of specimens that are now held in the American Museum of Natural History in New York, the Natural History Museum in London and other institutions.

But in January this year an international team of four conservationists from Australia, Canada and the US discovered a live specimen, and captured the first-ever photos and videos of Wallace’s Giant Bee.

Robin Moore, a conservation biologist with Global Wildlife Conservation, an Austin, Texas-based organization which runs a programme called The Search for Lost Species, said: “We know that [announcing this rediscovery] could seem like a big risk, given the demand, but the reality is that unscrupulous collectors already know that the bee is out there.”

Moore said it was vital that conservationists made the Indonesian government aware of the bee and took steps to protect the species and its habitat, which is threatened by massive deforestation for palm oil, which is rife thoughout Indonesia. “By making the bee a world-famous flagship for conservation we are confident that the species has a brighter future than if we just let it quietly be collected into oblivion,” he said.

Excited as they were to find the bee, expedition member Dr. Simon Robson, a biologist at the University of Sydney, and his team worry that the sighting may be a mixed blessing. Last year, an anonymous seller sold a previously unaccounted-for specimen to an unknown bidder on eBay for $9,100, highlighting the lack of protection afforded this rare species, whose size and rarity make it a target for collectors. “If you can get that much money for an insect, that encourages people to go and find them,” he said.

To help protect the bees, the team has agreed not to disclose the location of the specific island where they made their discovery.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2019-02-22/bee-giant-wallaces-rediscovered-indonesia/10830224
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/21/science/giant-bee-wallace.html
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/feb/21/worlds-largest-bee-missing-for-38-years-found-in-indonesia

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3096 on: June 10, 2019, 10:06:20 PM »
Ok, I am not sure that's good news, Paul!  :laugh: Sorry, I think if I found that thing in my house my first reaction would be to look for a grenade launcher.

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #3097 on: June 11, 2019, 12:06:45 AM »
*gazing at my thumb* Which human’s thumb, I wonder? :D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #3098 on: June 11, 2019, 07:05:56 AM »
Ok, I am not sure that's good news, Paul!  :laugh: Sorry, I think if I found that thing in my house my first reaction would be to look for a grenade launcher.

If it were April 1, I'd be inclined to class this with the Swiss Spaghetti Harvest, but I take it for real.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaghetti-tree_hoax

Sounds like a good premise for another horror film about bees.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #3099 on: June 11, 2019, 07:17:19 AM »
That reminds me of the Asian Hornet.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3100 on: June 11, 2019, 12:11:36 PM »

I prefer the Green Hornet.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3101 on: June 11, 2019, 12:13:53 PM »
Philadelphia and Washington, too.

I was out last night, as I do on Saturday nights, and in the bar there was a young man wearing one of those "But Edge Edge" t-shirts. I leaned over to him and said, "We love our Mayor Pete!"

He responded, "Oh, thank you! Nobody ever gets the shirt!"  :laugh:

That's why it's good he's wearing it!  He can introduce people to Pete!

Also, didn't I hear something happened in Washington on Pride day...that turned out to be a false alarm...I forgot to look up what happened?

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3102 on: June 11, 2019, 12:29:58 PM »
So, I looked it up now:

Man Pulling BB Gun at Capital Pride Parade Triggered Panic: Police

A man pulled out a BB gun during an altercation during Saturday's Capital Pride Parade, causing widespread panic and mistaken reports of an active shooter, police say. Several people were hurt in the chaos as hundreds fled.

D.C Police Chief Peter Newsham confirmed to News4 that a shooting did not occur at the Dupont Circle festival on Saturday. A police report released Sunday shows that the confusion may have started when a man pulled out a BB gun.

About 7:20 p.m., nearly three hours into the parade, officers ran into Dupont as parade attendees fled, some shouting that there was a man with a gun. Some said that the man had fired.

According to a police incident report, Aftabjit Singh, 38, said he pulled out the fake gun to threaten an unknown person who was hitting his significant other. Singh will appear in court Monday on misdemeanor charges.

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/False-Report-of-Shooting-at-Capital-Pride-Parade-Triggers-Panic-511027152.html

This article has video of people fleeing and running in the streets.

About 7:20 p.m., nearly three hours into the parade...

They start their parade late in D.C.  Ours starts at 11am.

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3103 on: June 11, 2019, 12:33:27 PM »
That reminds me of the Asian Hornet.

NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #3104 on: June 11, 2019, 01:19:44 PM »
NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE

Not to drag the thread off topic, but you are right to "nope" about these things!

I've seen stories about them on TV, they are highly aggressive, and a swarm of just 30 can destroy a hive of 30,000 honeybees in just a few hours. 

They are fast fliers and will fly longer distances to defend their nests or attack prey.  Their venom is potent and can dissolve human flesh, and they will sting multiple times.