The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: News and Current Events - 2017  (Read 158439 times)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
Re: News and Current Events - 2017
« Reply #3465 on: November 25, 2019, 11:01:40 AM »
^^^

That's probably what I was thinking of, Fritz.

Offline oilgun

• Obsessed
« Reply #3466 on: November 28, 2019, 10:12:33 PM »
As I recall, there were lots of rumors about Prince Edward back around that time, but not Prince Andrew.

Your'e right, the gay rumours were not about An
drew, they were about Edward. He was into theatre you see, lol!
"The 80s will never die" - Montana (AHS 1984)

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3467 on: December 05, 2019, 02:05:11 PM »
I love how Trudeau gets under Trump's skin!! lol.........and, of course, he is TALLER than Trump too, that's an issue for our Pres....... ;D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #3468 on: December 05, 2019, 06:38:44 PM »
I love how Trudeau gets under Trump's skin!! lol.........and, of course, he is TALLER than Trump too, that's an issue for our Pres....... ;D

He's probably, um, longer, too.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3469 on: December 06, 2019, 01:22:52 PM »
Last night I was watching a news channel and almost everything was making me feel hopeless. There is so much the current administration is doing that is really bad. But the results of what they're doing...or not doing in many cases...won't be felt or known for years to come and when it does it'll be blamed on the NOW of the moment and not what has accrued to make it so. I like to be an informed citizen, but lately who wants to feel hopeless and helpless about it all?

I was just recalling a song from the musical Dear World (Jerry Herman) titled "I Don't Want to Know" with the lyrics:

"Let me hide every truth from my eyes with the back of my hand
Let me live in a world full of lies with my head in the sand"

The character is much more optimistic later on with some uplifting sentiments, but we aren't there at the moment. I'm not. You?

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #3470 on: December 06, 2019, 01:54:41 PM »
^^^^^ No, I'm not either. I can no longer watch the national news for just these reasons, and have to mute the local news when it goes to national issues. I just can't listen to all of it anymore!! >:(
Nature has cunning ways of finding our weakest spot.
Call Me By Your Name

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3471 on: December 07, 2019, 01:17:35 PM »
^^^

It's hard not to, as even all the talk shows are all about it.

And here I go talking about it:

I heard this intriguing idea. Trump is so annoyed and worried about impeachment and wants it to get to the Senate ASAP as he feels he'll be vindicated there and then he can gloat about that all year.

Someone wrote an article saying that what the House should do is come up with the articles of impeachment and vote on them, but then NOT send it over to the Senate for a trial...and then all year long they hold onto it and they can add other articles of impeachment on to it all year long, holding it over the President's head which would drive him even crazier. They could eventually send it to the Senate at some point.

It sounds intriguing and who wouldn't want something that bothers the cretin to not go away all year? Since the only sane Republicans have disavowed their party and aren't in the government any more, maybe drastic and heretofore unthought of ideas should start to be thought of and tried. I mean, it doesn't seem like you can keep fighting this cult with common sense and normal means.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3472 on: December 07, 2019, 01:18:24 PM »
In 2013 the Supreme Court gutted provision 4 of the 1965 Voting Rights Act (in a partisan 5-4 ruling) saying it had outlived it's usefulness as it was based on old data. The court left Rule 5 in place saying Congress could update and re-institute it based on new data, but that meant in reality it was gutted based on the makeup of the current Congress.

The reauthorization of the 1965 Voting Rights Act was a bi-partisan effort since 1965 every time it was scheduled to be reauthorized the last 50 years. Yesterday the House passed "historic" legislation to restore and expand voter protections that were gutted by the Supreme Court in 2013. But only ONE Republican voted for it...in legislation that used to be firmly embraced in bipartisan fashion.

Passage of the Voting Rights Advancement Act (H.R. 4) is a "critical step" in combating voter suppression efforts that have proliferated in the six years since the Supreme Court's infamous decision in Shelby County v. Holder in 2013. Numerous state legislatures have undertaken targeted and deliberate steps to limit or impede the right to vote for communities of color, students, the elderly, and people with disabilities. Americans who are eligible to vote but are denied that right due to fabricated or illegal barriers are being deprived of the full privilege of our democracy.

It now heads to the Senate -- and we know what that means.

Considering that only one Republican voted for this bill, that heads us to the road of free and fair elections in this country...when this bill used to be supported by both sides without discussion...what does this say about the current Republican party?

The chilling answer is that these Republicans don't intend there to be any more free and fair elections.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3473 on: December 07, 2019, 01:29:13 PM »
Yesterday the House passed "historic" legislation to restore and expand voter protections that were gutted by the Supreme Court in 2013. But only ONE Republican voted for it...in legislation that used to be firmly embraced in bipartisan fashion.

And let us note this man who broke ranks with his party: Rep. Brian Fitzpatrick of Pennsylvania, District 1.

That's near where you are, Jeff, or is that your district?