The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: News and Current Events - 2017 - 2022  (Read 753075 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
Re: News and Current Events - 2017
« Reply #3555 on: February 07, 2020, 12:53:06 PM »
Will Rogers quote indeed.   :">

Will Rogers never met a man he didn't like. He never met Punkinhead.

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #3556 on: February 07, 2020, 02:09:34 PM »
Thanks, Lyle. That was a great synopsis. Even I could understand it!
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3557 on: February 07, 2020, 04:41:36 PM »
Thank you, Linda... :)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3558 on: February 07, 2020, 04:43:15 PM »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #3559 on: February 07, 2020, 07:04:10 PM »
Interesting! Thanks, Lyle.

(Gritty is the mascot of the Philadelphia Flyers hockey team.)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3560 on: February 08, 2020, 04:08:30 PM »
USA Today released a new New Hampshire poll a few hours ago:

Pete Buttigieg surges to small lead in New Hampshire amid post-Iowa bounce, new poll finds
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/02/08/Buttigiege/surge
_______

There's always some odd polls that come out in elections, like the Halloween mask poll, but if you're ahead in them, why not:

AI picks Buttigieg ‘the candidate to beat Trump’
by Paul Bedard | February 08, 2020 12:44 PM

An artificial intelligence analysis of Friday night's Democratic debate picked former Mayor Pete Buttigieg as the clear winner and said that voters believe he can beat President Trump.
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/washington-secrets/ai-picks-buttigieg-the-candidate-to-beat-trump

Buttigieg Leads NH Bumper Sticker Poll

If you’re skeptical of the accuracy of a bumper sticker-based poll, consider this: ASI’s first bumper sticker poll for the Iowa caucus was proven right after Buttigieg, the former South Bend, IN mayor, nabbed a win – with a slim lead over Sanders – in that state. In the New Hampshire bumper sticker poll, Buttigieg enjoyed widespread support across all demographics.
https://www.asicentral.com/buttigieg-leads-nh-bumper-sticker-poll/

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #3562 on: February 11, 2020, 02:20:43 PM »
I read today that Punkinhead is asking for $25.5 billion for NASA in the budget for the next fiscal year. I'm shocked to find myself approving anything he does, but I have to admit I like this proposal. Maybe it's because I was a child during the years of the Apollo project, but I'd like to see the U.S. return to more active space exploration. I'd like to live long enough to see a human being standing on the surface of the planet Mars, but I guess it's rather doubtful I will.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3563 on: February 12, 2020, 12:09:12 PM »

Pete did well in the New Hampshire primary last night:

25.9% Sanders
24.4% Buttigieg
19.8% Klobuchar

Amy got a rise in support over the weekend, possibly taking some of Pete's vote as they're considered both in the moderate lane.

It's so early, but Pete is still in first with delegates.  Yeah, early. They've all been campaigning for a year.

I will vote for any of the candidates who become the eventual nominee, but I have a complete dislike for a Sanders nomination. I think he's divisive. He is grumpy. He just recently had a heart attack. (He said he'd release all his medical records before the pri.aries. He hasn't. At one point he said if I start releasing my records it'll just go on and on. That sounds worrying.)

His speech from New Hampshire last night...not a smile in sight for his success there. Ugh! I want "hope" not "mope." A recent 2019 study had Sanders rated at the bottom of who best sponsors bi-partisan legislation in Congress. He seems unwilling to try and gather votes from all who want to defeat Trump. For example: In a news interview this morning a reporter asked him about Iowa. His reply was "Iowa was a complete disaster." Do Iowans want to hear things like that? Iowans who might want to vote for you? Bernie's way is my way or the highway. He worries me immensely. His supporters are also a whole lot like Trump supporters. Bernie even had to make a statement telling them not to bother the other campaigns. I want "No B.S. for President."

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3564 on: February 12, 2020, 03:50:15 PM »
I don't think Bernie will last, IMHO, you understand? He's tooooo much into histronics, much like Warren is too. Both of them NEED to recognize that unless the power structure changes in the Senate, NOTHING they propose will get passed......simple........

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #3565 on: February 13, 2020, 02:54:47 AM »
Pete B is featuring quite a lot in the news here now.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3566 on: February 13, 2020, 10:25:30 AM »
First Trump demeans the Presidential Medal of Freedom award by giving it to Limbaugh, and then Limbaugh cheapens it further:

Fresh off President Donald Trump awarding him with the Presidential Medal of Freedom, conservative talk radio host Rush Limbaugh mocked 2020 Democratic candidate Pete Buttigieg for being openly gay on Wednesday.
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/

(Is anyone surprised?)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3567 on: February 14, 2020, 04:46:06 PM »
I am kind of tired about all the Democratic party talk about Iowa not being a diverse enough state to be the first in the nation in nominee selection. That is most definitely true in terms of the state's population, but in the last three election cycles all these white people chose as the winner of Iowa a black man, a woman and a gay man. Iowa shouldn't be dumped on for that.

By the way, Pete's win made him the first ever gay man to win delegates from any major political party. That's history making.

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #3568 on: February 14, 2020, 05:47:32 PM »
Well, openly gay man.  ;)

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed