The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: News and Current Events - 2017 - 2022  (Read 753062 times)

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
Re: News and Current Events - 2017
« Reply #5100 on: November 20, 2020, 08:16:41 PM »
N.J.’s largest city to order 10-day coronavirus lockdown starting day before Thanksgiving

By Jeff Goldman

Newark residents will be asked to stay at home for 10 days beginning the day before Thanksgiving in an attempt to slow the spread of the coronavirus in the state’s largest city, Mayor Ras Baraka said Thursday.

“We are, from Wednesday before Thanksgiving to Dec. 4, going to lock the city down,” Baraka said in a radio appearance on WBGO 88.3 FM’s Newark Today. “We want people to shelter in place. We only want folks to come out for essential purposes. Do not go outside if you don’t have to. Don’t mingle with other people if you don’t have to. Stay (with) your family in your immediate household.”

The number people with COVID-19 in Newark has risen sharply in recent days with 164 additional cases announced Thursday. There have been 14,226 cases in Newark since the pandemic began in March with 694 deaths, according to Essex County officials.

Irvington’s mayor said earlier this week he was considering a week-long lock down as well.

It is unclear if Gov. Phil Murphy would overrule the Newark lockdown order. While Murphy recently signed an executive order allowing towns to close nonessential businesses starting at 8 p.m. - a step Newark took - Murphy has pushed back against additional town-by-town restrictions.

https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020/11/njs-largest-city-to-order-10-day-coronavirus-lockdown-starting-day-before-thanksgiving.html

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #5101 on: November 20, 2020, 08:20:45 PM »
Rudy Giuliani's Son Potentially Exposed Most of Trump's Legal Team to COVID During RNC Press Conference

BY Natalie Colarossi 11/20/20

Acampaign lawyer for President Donald Trump said that most of his legal team may have been exposed to COVID-19.

During a conference call Friday morning, Trump campaign lawyer Jenna Ellis said that the legal team was likely exposed—after Andrew Giuliani, Rudy Giuliani's son, tested positive for the virus on Friday, Axios reported.

Later that afternoon, Ellis tweeted that she and Rudy Giuliani, who is President Donald Trump's personal attorney, had so far tested negative for the virus, and that the rest of the legal team will continue to "follow the advice and protocols of our doctors."

Andrew Giuliani, a White House staffer, is thought to have exposed members of the legal team at a press conference, which featured his father, at the Republican National Committee (RNC) headquarters in Washington, D.C., on Thursday.

On Friday morning, the younger Giuliani tweeted that he was experiencing mild symptoms and following recommended protocols to prevent spreading the virus further.

https://www.newsweek.com/rudy-giulianis-son-potentially-exposed-most-trumps-legal-team-covid-during-rnc-press-conference-1549139

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #5102 on: November 20, 2020, 08:24:33 PM »
Georgia certifies Biden as state's 2020 winner

By Jane C. Timm and Dartunorro Clark - 11/20/2020

Georgia announced Friday that it certified the results of the 2020 general election, which Republican Gov. Brian Kemp said he would sign, following a hand recount of nearly 5 million votes that saw the majority of the state's counties finding no change in their final tallies.

The Trump campaign has until Tuesday to request a machine recount. The state’s secretary of state, Brad Raffensperger, a Republican, reiterated the validity of the results Friday. The state announced it had completed the certification process a couple of hours before it was finalized.

“Close elections sow distrust, people feel their side was cheated, we saw this from the Democrats in 2018 and we see this from Republicans today,” he said to reporters. “As secretary of state, I believe that the numbers that we have presented today are correct. The numbers reflect the verdict of the people, not a decision by the secretary of state's office or of courts or either campaign.”

Raffensperger also advocated for election reforms that would allow the state to intervene in county election administration and add a voter ID requirement for absentee ballots.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/georgia-certifies-biden-state-s-2020-winner-n1248416

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #5103 on: November 20, 2020, 08:28:04 PM »
Michigan lawmakers meet with Trump, say they haven't seen evidence of voter fraud

David Jackson & Michael Collins - 11/20/2020

President Donald Trump met Friday with Michigan lawmakers as part of an overall effort to reverse election losses in key states – but his guests said later that Michigan's electoral votes should go to the winner of its popular vote, and that is Joe Biden.

"The candidates who win the most votes win elections and Michigan's electoral votes," said a joint statement from Mike Shirkey, the majority leader in the Michigan state senate, and Lee Chatfield, speaker of the Michigan House. "These are simple truths that should provide confidence in our elections.”

White House spokeswoman Kayleigh McEnany said Trump did not plan the session as "an advocacy meeting." But other aides said the president has discussed the long-shot idea of pressuring Republican-led state legislatures to send a pro-Trump slate of electors to the Electoral College – even in states like Michigan where the voters went for Biden.

The statement by the legislative leaders seemed to throw cold water on the idea. Shirkey and Chatfield said allegations of fraud should be investigated, but "we have not yet been made aware of any information that would change the outcome" in Michigan.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2020/11/20/trump-meets-michigan-lawmakers-part-challenge-biden-win/6361814002/

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #5104 on: November 20, 2020, 08:30:55 PM »
Trump turns on Pfizer over vaccine timing

David Knowles

President Trump called a press briefing Friday to announce the implementation of his rules on drug pricing, which he said could save consumers hundreds or thousands of dollars a year, but got sidetracked with a rant against Big Pharma, which he blamed for sabotaging his reelection campaign because his policies would hurt their business.

In particular, he attacked Pfizer, the largest drug company in the U.S., just two hours after his press secretary, Kayleigh McEnany, claimed credit for the development of Pfizer’s new COVID-19 vaccine on behalf of the administration’s Operation Warp Speed program. Trump accused Pfizer of waiting to announce the success of their phase III vaccine trial until the day after the presidential election in order to avoid helping him.

Apparently, in his mind, it didn’t work. Trump proclaimed that he won the election anyway, as he has all along, notwithstanding Joe Biden’s commanding lead in both the popular and Electoral College votes.

“Pfizer and others even decided to not assess the results of their vaccine, in other words, not come out with a vaccine, until just after the election,” Trump said. “That’s because of what I did with favored nations and these other elements. Instead of their original plan to assess the data in October. So they were going to come out in October, but they decided to delay it because of what I’m doing, which is fine with me because frankly this is just a very big thing.”

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-turns-on-pfizer-over-vaccine-timing-214110276.html

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #5105 on: November 20, 2020, 11:54:44 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5dozZF_j80

This link is tonight's episode of ALL IN with Chris Hayes.

Show themes: American Delusion / Let the Voters Decide / The Trump Crisis

It's very illuminating. It deals with the current state of the election aftermath, the Republicans, Trump and his supporters. If one is looking for any reasoning for the state of all these things right now it's quite eye opening, especially how Trump supporters can possibly believe the things they do. Adam Schiff is interviewed, too.

This video was posted by a third party, not MSNBC, so if the link doesn't work it may have been taken down at some point. MSNBC does not always post entire episodes of their nightly programs, usually highlights, but not until the next day.

I'd be interested in anyone's opinion of this, especially the first twenty minutes.

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #5106 on: November 21, 2020, 02:19:54 AM »
^^^ WRT the spineless GSA administrator.... who's clearly not executing her job and is afraid of the GOS Tweet megaphone - those are people should be answering to congress, not the POTUS. 

Twitter was a horrible concept when it started and it's proven even worse today b/c like Suckerberg and his lofty ideas, the darker side of the equation was heavily discounted.  What could someone like Hitler have done with Twitter and FB at their disposal?  I shutter to think we'd all be clacking our boots.

WRT to GOS pandering about "lowering Rx pricing" LOL - but of course he's talking mostly to the senile elderly state of FL who are re-living the 1950s and have Fox Lies brainwashing them 24/7. 

WRT "RISE OF THE NAZIS", I plan to watch this now... TY for recommending.

WRT "Michigan Lawmakers"  Their  "statement" should be all we need to know as for WHY they were "summoned" to the WH by the GOS and GOP.  As for whether the "statement" is true or a cover for what they are really up to, we shall see.  Right now, every GOP Congressman should be standing up for the Constitution and not the GOS.  So far only a couple have including Romney.  While I'm not a fan of his politics, the fact that he (and a few others) are standing up sure beats Moscow Mitch and Lying Lindsay's position of supporting the GOS directly and by "letting this play out..."

Yeap all the *isms the Nazis perpetuated are hiding in the core of today's GOP.  Just listen to the blond *(@*@( in GA, a Senator, speaking openly - unbelievable the level of hate and bigotry and b/c it's a "female", she somehow get's away with it.  Shameful reflection on the people of GA who support her.  I can only hope they are both defeated... if not we are truely losing our human dignity and respect for the individual, life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Sadly, I believe we or rather the MBAs and company executives of the great American companies have over a period of 40 years slowly offshored far too many jobs to low-cost countries and as a direct result, they have abandoned the middle-class.  This demographic is where the bulk of the GOP's base originates and when there's no longer opportunities for everyone, society tends to see rise of people like Hitler and the GOS.   This is not a new or unique story.  While I despise this GOP when I stop and really think about it, the root cause really boils down to REAL opportunities for all and not just the 1% and until that is fixed, I fear we are thrashing in quicksand.   V.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 02:29:04 AM by gattaca »

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #5107 on: November 21, 2020, 10:24:03 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5dozZF_j80

This link is tonight's episode of ALL IN with Chris Hayes.

Show themes: American Delusion / Let the Voters Decide / The Trump Crisis

It's very illuminating. It deals with the current state of the election aftermath, the Republicans, Trump and his supporters. If one is looking for any reasoning for the state of all these things right now it's quite eye opening, especially how Trump supporters can possibly believe the things they do. Adam Schiff is interviewed, too.

This video was posted by a third party, not MSNBC, so if the link doesn't work it may have been taken down at some point. MSNBC does not always post entire episodes of their nightly programs, usually highlights, but not until the next day.

I'd be interested in anyone's opinion of this, especially the first twenty minutes.

Great video, Lyle. Thanks for posting it! It really covered a lot. I'm not sure it explained, for me at least, the reason why some people give such allegiance to someone who is so clearly bat sh*t crazy, narcissistic, uneducated..... I could go on and on. I guess I'm just too dense to see what anyone would see in him, much less a leader.

The thing is he has proven over and over again that he is a lying piece of sh*t that only wants to get what's in it for him, and to hell with anyone else. I just fail to see why there are so many that don't see this.

I think it was very prophetic when he made the statement that he could walk in Times Square in NYC and shoot someone and no one would do anything. He was speaking the truth, and how horribly disturbing this is?
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #5108 on: November 21, 2020, 11:15:34 AM »
^^^ Sadly, my gut for why "these people" do not, or rather do not want, to understand? 
Most people have empathy for the other beings of the world who are less fortunate, most people care about the environment we are leaving for future generations, most people believe a person's body is their own and not a government or religious bigots to determine how they live or what they do with their body, most people stand by our long time allies, friends and honor our long standing commitments (whether we might agree in total with them or not), ............   

It is also b/c those voting for this GOS have the same Narcissistic Personality Disorder and general belief characteristics of my sh*#*# don't stink.  The demographics have been published often - not shocking but frightening and disappointing b/c these "Evangelicals /Christians" profess loudly what they don't like while whispering about the all the crap they "overlook" b/c they themselves are doing it.  As I've said many times, why aren't these evangelicals waving signs trying to outlaw divorce?  Why aren't they protesting about businesses being open on Sunday...when everyone should be in a church pew? There are countless examples of this hypocrisy today and in the past.   V. 
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 07:36:33 AM by gattaca »

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #5109 on: November 22, 2020, 02:35:46 PM »
Great video, Lyle. Thanks for posting it! It really covered a lot. I'm not sure it explained, for me at least, the reason why some people give such allegiance to someone who is so clearly bat sh*t crazy, narcissistic, uneducated..... I could go on and on. I guess I'm just too dense to see what anyone would see in him, much less a leader.

I'm glad you found it worthwhile.  I think it was explained that it's not Trump necessarily they're giving so much allegiance to, but that it's...

Chris explained the those talk radio hosts like Limbaugh and Mark Levin for decades now have been telling their listeners that "they can't trust the 4 corners of deceit: Government | Academia | Science | Media.  And if you cut all that off, what are you really left with? Not much. Just what the cult wants you to believe."

Meaning they've been conditioning little by little anyone that speaks against their leaders/beliefs cannot be trusted and therefore are their enemy. So it's Trump or nothing, basically. Them vs. Us. Us vs. Them.  They see anyone outside their Republican circles to be enemies. We are their enemy and you never trust or capitulate or (heaven forbid" compromise on anything. It's why one Republican can express a viewpoint against their leader or party and immediately get primaried out of existence. Almost immediately.

Look at what happened on election night when Fox dared to project Arizona as a Biden state. Their loyal followers were immediately distrustful of the network aided by Trump's tweets demonizing them. In the days following Trump supporters gathered at various places in Arizona and were chanting Fox News Sucks. Trump has been tweeting that these followers dump Fox and head to One News Now and OANN (One America News Network) who make Fox seem like MSNBC comparatively. And they're doing it. These networks viewership has risen the past two weeks exponentially. I've seen some youtube videos from both ONN and OANN and it's like watching communist state supported television news. It's like a Nazi propaganda networks. If you thought Fox news viewers were on the misinformed side, to put it mildly, now...wait'll you see what they'll be like if they all gravitate toward those places.

By the way, that link of the whole show I initially provided from a third party is not that episode any more. Apparently this poster keeps changing the content on that link.

MSNBC has not provided their usual episode highlights from Nov. 20th yet, but they do have these two parts/segments from the episode online totaling together about 11 minutes.

American Delusion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_uV0RZZn98

Let the Voters Decide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJMSLq0Sxxo

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #5110 on: November 22, 2020, 02:43:55 PM »
Look at what happened on election night when Fox dared to project Arizona as a Biden state. Their loyal followers were immediately distrustful of the network aided by Trump's tweets demonizing them. In the days following Trump supporters gathered at various places in Arizona and were chanting Fox News Sucks. Trump has been tweeting that these followers dump Fox and head to One News Now and OANN (One America News Network) who make Fox seem like MSNBC comparatively. And they're doing it. These networks viewership has risen the past two weeks exponentially. I've seen some youtube videos from both ONN and OANN and it's like watching communist state supported television news. It's like a Nazi propaganda networks. If you thought Fox news viewers were on the misinformed side, to put it mildly, now...wait'll you see what they'll be like if they all gravitate toward those places.

After I wrote the above, I came across this article (Opinion Piece):

Fox News was Only the First Circle of Right-Wing Media Hell
The race to capture Trump supporters' eyes, ears, and clicks is just ramping up.
https://www.msnbc.com/opinion/fox-news-was-only-first-circle-right-wing-media-hell-n1248461

If you want to see and prepare for what the future holds in certain respects, you should read it.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #5111 on: November 22, 2020, 02:53:45 PM »

and their leaving Twitter for Parler and Facebook for MeWe.

Offline brianr

• Obsessed
« Reply #5112 on: November 22, 2020, 02:56:20 PM »
You may find an overseas (Australia) opinion interesting
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-23/united-states-is-just-too-big/12907642

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #5113 on: November 22, 2020, 03:03:19 PM »
I'm glad you found it worthwhile.  I think it was explained that it's not Trump necessarily they're giving so much allegiance to, but that it's...

Chris explained the those talk radio hosts like Limbaugh and Mark Levin for decades now have been telling their listeners that "they can't trust the 4 corners of deceit: Government | Academia | Science | Media.  And if you cut all that off, what are you really left with? Not much. Just what the cult wants you to believe."

Isn't it a tad ironic that talk radio is a part of the media? Or have I been totally misinformed all these years ???
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #5114 on: November 22, 2020, 03:06:23 PM »
Consistency is not among their strong points.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."