The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: News and Current Events - 2017 - 2022  (Read 762800 times)

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
  • ...suspended above ordinary affairs...
Re: News and Current Events - 2017 - 2021
« Reply #5535 on: January 12, 2021, 02:03:37 PM »
sometimes i hate the ACLU

PHOENIX (KXAN) — The man accused of storming into the U.S. Capitol — while wearing a horned helmet and fur — during last Wednesday’s pro-Trump riot will be fed an organic diet while he’s in custody of the U.S. Marshals.

https://www.kxan.com/news/national-news/qanon-shaman-jake-angeli-will-be-fed-organic-diet-while-hes-in-custody-for-capitol-riot/
Bye, Felicia

"What a maroon."  Bugs Bunny

"I try to be good...I only manage it in streaks."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #5536 on: January 12, 2021, 02:22:37 PM »
Why is warning the terrorists that they are in danger of being shot giving battle plans away?  I'm all for law enforcement, from local police to the FBI, stating unequivocally that they are ready, willing and able to defend their capitols.  As I said, the terrorists are warning us, and it should be the other way around.

Yes, they should be warned, and warning them is not giving away plans, but that's not how I read that writer's comment. I took it, I guess, as literally telling them about troop placements and so forth. I was thinking things like, OK, let's tell them, "We're going to have tanks on Pennsylvania Avenue," or saying things like, "We're going to have snipers on every roof around the Capitol, and on the Capitol itself"--that sort of thing. Let them guess what they'll be facing.

I don't think warning them will keep them away, or not all of them, anyway.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #5537 on: January 12, 2021, 02:24:56 PM »
sometimes i hate the ACLU

PHOENIX (KXAN) — The man accused of storming into the U.S. Capitol — while wearing a horned helmet and fur — during last Wednesday’s pro-Trump riot will be fed an organic diet while he’s in custody of the U.S. Marshals.

https://www.kxan.com/news/national-news/qanon-shaman-jake-angeli-will-be-fed-organic-diet-while-hes-in-custody-for-capitol-riot/

WTF?  >:(

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
« Reply #5538 on: January 12, 2021, 02:35:07 PM »
Yes, they should be warned, and warning them is not giving away plans, but that's not how I read that writer's comment. I took it, I guess, as literally telling them about troop placements and so forth. I was thinking things like, OK, let's tell them, "We're going to have tanks on Pennsylvania Avenue," or saying things like, "We're going to have snipers on every roof around the Capitol, and on the Capitol itself"--that sort of thing. Let them guess what they'll be facing.

I don't think warning them will keep them away, or not all of them, anyway.

You're probably right about a warning not keeping them away.  It's like trying to reason with 4,000 trumps, can't do it.
Bye, Felicia

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #5539 on: January 12, 2021, 04:46:12 PM »

Early warning signs emerge for GOP after US Capitol riots

Marc Levy, Thomas Beaumont and Nicholas Riccardi - January 12, 2021

Since last week’s deadly insurrection at the U.S. Capitol, about 225 Republicans logged in to the election office in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, to change their party registration. Ethan Demme was one of them.

“Ever since they started denying the election result, I kind of knew it was heading this way," said Demme, the county's former Republican Party chairman who has opposed President Donald Trump and is now an independent. "If they kept going, I knew there’s no way I can keep going. But if you’ve been a Republican all your life, it’s hard to jump out of a big boat and into a little boat.”

Officials are seeing similar scenes unfold elsewhere.

In Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, 192 people have changed their party registration since the Jan. 6 riot. Only 13 switched to the GOP — the other 179 changed to Democrat, independent or a third party, according to Bethany Salzarulo, the director of the bureau of elections.

In Linn County, Iowa, home to Cedar Rapids, more than four dozen voters dropped their Republican Party affiliations in the 48 hours after the Capitol attack. They mostly switched to no party, elections commissioner Joel Miller said, though a small number took the highly unusual step of cancelling their registrations altogether.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/early-warning-signs-emerge-gop-051435341.html

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
« Reply #5540 on: January 12, 2021, 05:23:45 PM »
House releases final language of impeachment resolution against Trump
From CNN's Manu Raju

The House just released the final version of the sole impeachment article being filed against President Trump.

The measure is titled "Impeaching Donald John Trump, President of the United States, for high crimes and misdemeanors."

The House will vote on the single article of impeachment on Wednesday.

Here's an excerpt from the bill:

"Wherefore, Donald John Trump, by such conduct, has demonstrated that he will remain a threat to national security, democracy, and the Constitution if allowed to remain in office, and has acted in a manner grossly incompatible with self-governance and the rule of law. Donald John Trump thus warrants impeachment and trial, removal from office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any office of honor, trust, or profit under the United States."
Bye, Felicia

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #5541 on: January 12, 2021, 07:35:28 PM »
Top military leaders condemn ‘sedition and insurrection’ at Capitol, acknowledge Biden win

Amanda Macias - 01/12/2021

In an extraordinary letter Tuesday to the U.S. military, the nation’s top commanders condemned last week’s acts of “sedition and insurrection” at the U.S. Capitol, while acknowledging Joe Biden’s election victory.

The message did not mention President Donald Trump by name, but the Joint Chiefs of Staff, led by U.S. Army Gen. Mark Milley, made it clear that the military intends to stand by the constitutional transfer of power to the next administration.

“As we have done throughout our history, the U.S. military will obey lawful orders from civilian leadership, support civilian authorities to protect lives and property, ensure public safety in accordance with the law, and remain fully committed to protecting and defending the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic,” wrote the nation’s highest military officers.

“As Service Members, we must embody the values and ideals of the Nation. We support and defend the Constitution. Any act to disrupt the Constitutional process is not only against our traditions, values and oath; it is against the law,” the chiefs wrote.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/12/top-military-leaders-condemn-sedition-and-insurrection-at-capitol-acknowledge-biden-win.html

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #5542 on: January 12, 2021, 07:38:12 PM »
Ted Cruz Faces Mounting Backlash, Possible Censure As Top Aide Resigns Abruptly

By Daniel Villarreal - 1/12/21

Following the resignation of his communications director, Republican Texas Senator Ted Cruz is facing a potential congressional censure as Democrats and some Republicans have accused him of being partially responsible for the riot at the Capitol last Wednesday.

Cruz's communications director Lauren Blair Bianchi resigned because she was reportedly "unhappy with the direction the office had taken" following Cruz's opposition to Congress' January 6 certification of President-elect Joe Biden's Electoral College win, according to The New York Times.

"Senator Cruz and Lauren agreed that it would be best to part ways," Cruz's office said in a statement. "He thanks her for her service and wishes her the best."

"I'm grateful to Senator Cruz for the opportunity and wish him and his first-rate staff nothing but the best," Bianchi said in a statement about her resignation.

https://www.newsweek.com/ted-cruz-faces-mounting-backlash-possible-censure-top-aide-resigns-abruptly-1561016

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #5543 on: January 12, 2021, 09:24:47 PM »
Early warning signs emerge for GOP after US Capitol riots

Marc Levy, Thomas Beaumont and Nicholas Riccardi - January 12, 2021

Since last week’s deadly insurrection at the U.S. Capitol, about 225 Republicans logged in to the election office in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, to change their party registration. Ethan Demme was one of them.

“Ever since they started denying the election result, I kind of knew it was heading this way," said Demme, the county's former Republican Party chairman who has opposed President Donald Trump and is now an independent. "If they kept going, I knew there’s no way I can keep going. But if you’ve been a Republican all your life, it’s hard to jump out of a big boat and into a little boat.”

That is the county where I was born and raised.

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #5544 on: January 13, 2021, 07:47:33 AM »
^^^

If any of these places had done this 1-2-3-4-5---20 years ago I might be inclined to have a little more respect for them.
Sane people have known Trump is bad news for decades.

And what does "withholding donations" means. That implies a future donation, not just right now.

That's exactly what it means Lyle.  The thought that went through my head when reading that Dow was suspending contributions thru the next election cycle to those who supported the objection of certification of President Biden through the next election cycle is that it would be interesting to see if they hold to this for the time they said.
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #5545 on: January 13, 2021, 08:48:09 AM »
He's one person I thought WOULD accept it. He & Trump are supposed to be buddies, aren't they? He's expressed support for Trump many times. Call me cynical, but he's just protecting his business. Belichick still said, after all, that, "he had been 'flattered' to receive the honor."

And why would Belichick be given a "Presidential Medal of Freedom" honor anyway? I guess #3 can be very broadly interpreted:

The Presidential Medal of Freedom is awarded by the president of the United States "for especially meritorious contribution to (1) the security or national interests of the United States, or (2) world peace, or (3) cultural or other significant public or private endeavors".

The same question I had about all the golfers he gave it to and to the toady republican supporters.

President Trump’s picks
President Trump’s first round of medals is unusual in at least one respect: He waited 20 months to award them, longer than any other president. This is surprising for a president who enjoys commanding the media’s attention and exercising unilateral executive power.

Trump’s seven selections include three athletes and three posthumous awards – well above the mark for past recipients, 5 percent of whom were athletes and 10 percent recognized posthumously. One of these is baseball great Babe Ruth, who died 70 years ago, in 1948.

Trump’s selections also differ markedly from those of his predecessor, Barack Obama. Whereas Obama selected the most diverse set of recipients to date – 36 percent of whom were women, and 39 percent people of color – Trump has selected six men and six white people, out of seven recipients.

And while Trump’s selection of Miriam Adelson – a doctor, philanthropist and, perhaps most importantly, a GOP mega-donor – has been controversial, he is hardly the first president to award the nation’s highest civilian honor to a prominent political supporter. Obama, for one, awarded the medal to Oprah Winfrey – who gave him a key endorsement in the 2008 primaries. He also awarded it to Democratic activists such as Barbra Streisand and Bruce Springsteen. But the sheer size and scope of Adelson’s political contributions - more than US$113 million in combination with her husband, Sheldon – differentiates her from past recipients.

Who will Trump pick next?
Trump’s future selections will tell us even more about who he is and what legacy he wants to leave as president. In fact, if these first awards are any indication, Trump might use his medal selections to associate himself with cultural icons not yet claimed by other presidents - as he did by picking Elvis this year.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 09:00:30 AM by killersmom »
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #5546 on: January 13, 2021, 10:43:00 AM »
And while Trump’s selection of Miriam Adelson – a doctor, philanthropist and, perhaps most importantly, a GOP mega-donor – has been controversial,

Also the wife of Sheldon Adelson, who just died.

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #5547 on: January 13, 2021, 11:57:29 AM »
I've heard that Hallmark is asking for its money back. I wonder if they'll get it.

Hell no. OrangeASSity has put it in his private accounts, and if he's not going to pay back any of his loans to his banks, it is definite that he won't give back campaign funds.
... Kierkegaard

Online Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #5548 on: January 13, 2021, 12:03:47 PM »
How key states plan to secure their capitol buildings ahead of possible armed pro-Trump protests
By Eric Levenson - January 12, 2021

The warnings are particularly fraught in states that allow people to openly carry firearms.

Gee, maybe those states shouldn't allow that.   ::)

Online Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #5549 on: January 13, 2021, 12:06:00 PM »
In Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, 192 people have changed their party registration since the Jan. 6 riot. Only 13 switched to the GOP — the other 179 changed to Democrat, independent or a third party, according to Bethany Salzarulo, the director of the bureau of elections.

After the events of a week ago 13 people actually thought it would be a good idea to change their party to the Republicans.  I'd keep an eye on those 13.