The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: News and Current Events - 2017 - 2021  (Read 326410 times)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
Re: News and Current Events - 2017 - 2021
« Reply #5895 on: April 06, 2021, 11:52:07 AM »
^^^

Last year we had three small earthquakes one night and I believe they were in the same area.
And I believe that same area is where fracking has been going on. I'll have to see how close they
were to each other if I can.

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #5896 on: April 06, 2021, 05:12:00 PM »
Healing Spiritual Harms: Supporting Recovery from LGBTQA+ Change and Suppression Practices is a February 2021 report by. Australian researchers based on interviews with survivors of religious conversion practices or "counselling". It documents many issues that therapists and supporters need to understand. It is available online.

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #5897 on: April 08, 2021, 03:40:10 PM »
Virginia just legalized marijuana

By German Lopez  Apr 8, 2021

Virginia lawmakers on Wednesday enacted a marijuana legalization law, making the state the first in the South to legalize cannabis.

Under the law, adults 21 and older will be able to use and grow marijuana, starting in July. The state will also launch a legal, regulated market, with an expected launch in 2024. And it lets people with past marijuana convictions request lower penalties or for their records to be sealed.

Revenue from a new excise tax on marijuana will go toward education programs, equity initiatives, addiction treatment, and public health services.

The legislation came after a contentious, but relatively quick, legislative process. Gov. Ralph Northam (D) publicly backed marijuana legalization in November. After some back-and-forth, the Virginia House and Senate passed bills legalizing pot in February. Northam responded approvingly, but with amendments to the legislation. The legislature then approved the amendments, allowing the legislation to take effect with no further action from Northam.

In comparison, legislative battles over marijuana legalization dragged on for years in New Jersey and New York.

https://www.vox.com/2021/4/8/22307918/virginia-marijuana-legalization-law-bill-ralph-northam

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #5898 on: April 08, 2021, 03:42:45 PM »
Matt Gaetz associate likely to strike plea deal, attorneys say

By Paula Reid, David Shortell and Mark Morales - April 8, 2021

Joel Greenberg, a central figure in the ongoing investigation into Florida Republican Rep. Matt Gaetz, is likely to strike a plea deal with federal prosecutors, his attorney and prosecutors said in court Thursday, potentially putting additional legal pressure on the congressman.

Greenberg's possible cooperation with the Justice Department could provide investigators with key details as they work to determine whether Gaetz broke sex trafficking or prostitution laws himself.

Gaetz has denied ever paying for sex and over the past week has sought to frame the allegations against him as the result of political bias in the justice system and the media.  A federal prosecutor and Greenberg's attorney told a judge the deal was not finalized but there is an expectation that it could be resolved within weeks.

"We believe this case will be a plea," said assistant US Attorney Roger Handberg.  Greenberg's attorney, Fritz Scheller, requested a plea date by May 15. If a plea is not reached, they could move to a trial in July.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/08/politics/greenberg-gaetz/index.html

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #5899 on: April 08, 2021, 04:07:12 PM »
Virginia just legalized marijuana

By German Lopez  Apr 8, 2021

Virginia lawmakers on Wednesday enacted a marijuana legalization law, making the state the first in the South to legalize cannabis.

Under the law, adults 21 and older will be able to use and grow marijuana, starting in July. The state will also launch a legal, regulated market, with an expected launch in 2024. And it lets people with past marijuana convictions request lower penalties or for their records to be sealed.

Revenue from a new excise tax on marijuana will go toward education programs, equity initiatives, addiction treatment, and public health services.

The legislation came after a contentious, but relatively quick, legislative process. Gov. Ralph Northam (D) publicly backed marijuana legalization in November. After some back-and-forth, the Virginia House and Senate passed bills legalizing pot in February. Northam responded approvingly, but with amendments to the legislation. The legislature then approved the amendments, allowing the legislation to take effect with no further action from Northam.

In comparison, legislative battles over marijuana legalization dragged on for years in New Jersey and New York.

https://www.vox.com/2021/4/8/22307918/virginia-marijuana-legalization-law-bill-ralph-northam

Nice, but I'm not planning on partaking.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #5900 on: April 08, 2021, 05:36:07 PM »
Capitol riot defendant flips to help prosecutors against Proud Boys

Katelyn Polantz - Wed April 7, 2021

At least one of the Capitol riot defendants has flipped against the Proud Boys, agreeing to provide information that could allow the Justice Department to bring a more severe charge against the group's leadership, according to an attorney involved in the case.

The development is the first indication that people charged in the insurrection are cooperating against the pro-Trump extremist group. Federal prosecutors have made clear they are focused on building conspiracy cases against leadership of the Proud Boys and paramilitary groups like the Oath Keepers.

Court records have made murmurs for weeks about cooperators and plea deals in the works, and prosecutors revealed that a rioter wearing an Oath Keepers hat was in talks to cooperate earlier this week.

Yet the cases are still in early stages. None of the defendants have pleaded guilty yet, and prosecutors have struggled at times to convince judges to perceive high-profile defendants as conspirators who organized the violence toward Congress on January 6 in advance.

What happens next is likely to follow the same pattern as in organized crime or drug investigations, with prosecutors pressuring knowledgeable defendants to become witnesses. Some may sign up to cooperate, and many of those charged are likely to plead guilty to avoid trial or more severe charges.

So far, around two dozen people associated with the Proud Boys have been charged with federal crimes related to the riot.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/07/politics/capitol-riot-flip-proud-boys/index.html

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #5901 on: April 08, 2021, 05:39:51 PM »
Former Jets player Phillip Adams named as suspect in deadly South Carolina shooting, report says

Christine Fernando - 04/08/2021

A gunman in the Wednesday killing of five people in South Carolina was former New York Jets cornerback Phillip Adams, a source told the Associated Press.

A doctor, his wife their two young grandchildren were among those found Wednesday evening at a home in York County, South Carolina. They died as a result of gunshot wounds, according to the York County Sheriff's Office.

Officers identified a suspect in a nearby house after an hourslong search following what police called a "case of a mass shooting" Wednesday night. Police have not identified the suspect.

Adams' parents live near the doctor's home, and he has been treated by the doctor in the past, according to the AP's source, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he wasn't authorized to speak publicly. The source said Adams killed himself after midnight Thursday.

Dr. Robert Lesslie, 70, Barbara Lesslie, 69, and their grandchildren Adah Lesslie, 9, and Noah Lesslie, 5, were pronounced dead at the scene, according to the York County coroner's office. James Lewis, 38, was found dead outside. Lewis was working at the home at the time, police said.

A sixth person was injured and taken to a local hospital for serious gunshot wounds, York County Sheriff's Office spokesperson Trent Faris said in a press conference.

https://www.northjersey.com/story/sports/nfl/jets/2021/04/08/south-carolina-killings-suspect-found-phillip-adams/7138659002/?fbclid=IwAR0Wi_kMGtfbQjimRLSYZ2bwCIW7CR00nAps5HybtbvqTk-jeGDbJWIimF8

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #5902 on: April 08, 2021, 05:52:57 PM »
On NBC News tonight, his father said that he thought his head had been messed up from playing football.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #5903 on: April 09, 2021, 07:59:52 AM »
'Matt Gaetz needs to resign,' says GOP Rep. Adam Kinzinger

By Dareh Gregorian - April 9, 2021

Rep. Adam Kinzinger of Illinois called for fellow Republican Rep. Matt Gaetz of Florida to resign on Thursday amid a federal probe into allegations that Gaetz was involved in sex trafficking.

Gaetz, who has not been charged with any crime, has repeatedly denied wrongdoing. He is also scheduled Friday to headline a dinner for Women for America First, a pro-Trump group, at the Trump National Doral in Florida.

"Matt Gaetz needs to resign," Kinzinger wrote in a tweet linking to a Daily Beast story about Gaetz, who's become enmeshed in an investigation into former Seminole County Tax Collector Joel Greenberg.

Greenberg has been hit with 33 charges in federal court in Florida, including stalking, wire fraud and sex trafficking of a minor. In a brief hearing in his case in Orlando on Thursday, Greenberg’s lawyer, Fritz Scheller, and federal prosecutors told the judge they expect him to strike a plea deal.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/matt-gaetz-needs-resign-says-gop-rep-adam-kinzinger-n1263607

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #5904 on: April 09, 2021, 08:05:10 AM »
As Prince Philip dies at 99, tributes pour in for husband of Queen Elizabeth II

By Henry Austin - April 9, 2021

Britain’s Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, led the tributes to Prince Philip on Friday as the country — and the world — reacted to the death of Queen Elizabeth II's husband at the age of 99.

Speaking outside his home in London's Downing Street, Johnson said that Philip had “helped to steer the Royal Family and the monarchy so that it remains an institution indisputably vital to the balance and happiness of our national life.''

He said that Philip “was an environmentalist, and a champion of the natural world long before it was fashionable,” adding that he had “inspired the lives of countless young people” with his Duke of Edinburgh awards scheme.

"We remember the duke for all of this and above all for his steadfast support for Her Majesty the Queen,” he said. "Not just as her consort, by her side every day of her reign, but as her husband, her 'strength and stay,' of more than 70 years."

"And it is to Her Majesty, and her family, that our nation's thoughts must turn today, because they have lost not just a much-loved and highly respected public figure, but a devoted husband and a proud and loving father, grandfather and, in recent years, great-grandfather."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/prince-philip-dies-99-tributes-pour-husband-queen-elizabeth-ii-n1263611

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #5905 on: April 09, 2021, 09:31:32 AM »
Wonder if Harry and Meghan will attend the service? More fodder for the tabloids!!  :o :o :o

Offline Gillian

• Through the mirror blue
  • Obsessed
  • Pillars of salt, pillars of sand
« Reply #5906 on: April 09, 2021, 10:31:17 AM »
However expected this must be said to have been, I feel deeply sorry for Queen Elizabeth. Losing a spouse of so many years is a devastating blow to any person. My grandfather died less than two months after my grandmother passed unexpectedly - they had been married for more than 60 years. He lost his will to live on. And the same very recently happened with the elderly parents of a friend of mine.

I suppose that due to Covid the ceremonial surrounding the funeral will be scaled-back and restrained. I can't imagine Harry won't be there, but I hope Meghan uses her pregnancy as an excuse to stay away. Otherwise there will be an unpleasant media frenzy, no doubt about it.
Everybody's always creating 

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #5907 on: April 09, 2021, 11:49:08 AM »
However expected this must be said to have been, I feel deeply sorry for Queen Elizabeth. Losing a spouse of so many years is a devastating blow to any person. My grandfather died less than two months after my grandmother passed unexpectedly - they had been married for more than 60 years. He lost his will to live on. And the same very recently happened with the elderly parents of a friend of mine.

Many years ago a friend of my family lost both her elderly parents within a week of each other.

Offline janiebbmart

• Obsessed
« Reply #5908 on: April 09, 2021, 12:11:39 PM »
Sad news. I was two when he and the Queen were married so he's been a constant throughout my entire life. Somehow the stability and constant presence through all the massive changes and upheavals have helped. I don 't think that the Queen could have done what she has done so successfully without his support. He will be sadly missed.

I expect that Harry will come but I hope that Meghan has the sense to stay away. The histrionics have not gone down well while the Duke was so ill in hospital and the Queen was carrying on with her duties.   :(

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #5909 on: April 09, 2021, 12:42:54 PM »
I’m quite surprised how sad the news of his death has made me. I suppose it’s the “end of an era” feeling, and of a long, and I think very happy, marriage.