The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: News and Current Events - 2017 - 2022  (Read 762796 times)

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
Re: News and Current Events - 2017 - 2021
« Reply #6030 on: May 16, 2021, 11:19:19 PM »
^^^ Sorry bad wording.  I see now.  Be careful with that "CDC general guidance" that "Masks are no longer required for those who are vaccinated." That's simply not accurate considering those groups I mentioned. So maybe they publish a modified set of guidelines for higher risk groups.  Those of us with underlying higher risk conditions such as having an immune deficiency or if a person's immune system compromised simply cannot afford a "mild" COVID breakthrough infection.

For instance, when taking something like common oral steroids which are prescribed for many medical conditions, they suppress a person's immune system.  Suppression on purpose from organ-transplants is another super high risk area for people.  Radiation therapy is another.  These groups should not risk getting infected. The CDC general guidance is also made for made "public consumption".  I feel the general public does not consider these very real cases unless they know someone in these situations - so the generality is risky. In some cases, like someone taking oral steroids for a temporary condition, they may not think about that putting them at an increased risk unless they are very well informed.  I know few people who actually read the "fine print" with medications.  The CDC is likely simplifying these "corner cases" simply not to "confuse the public...."  I know if I were taking immune suppressing medications, I would not stop wearing a mask until our general risk declines much, much lower than today.  FWIW, I had an uncle who had heart transplants.  You can never be too careful.  I hope that helps.  Sometimes I don't say things as well as I should.   Stay safe, stay alive!  Peace.  V.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 11:35:13 PM by gattaca »

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6031 on: May 17, 2021, 10:47:17 AM »
Thanks, Vincent, I see what you're saying. I still wear my mask around. I mean, I've gotten used to it so I don't mind wearing it at this point and so why not? Also, here one is still required to wear it on public transportation and most places I go still want you to wear it inside, so it's not that much a different yet. I don't get how mask wearing got to be such a contentious issue with some people. Why would one resist keeping themselves and other safe and healthy. They won't wear a mask, but they'll carry guns around in fear of some hypothetical danger.

Stay healthy everyone.

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
« Reply #6032 on: May 17, 2021, 02:56:59 PM »
^^^ 10-4!  I finally found an "official" CDC listing of all the people who "need to take added precautions"...

Just consider the # of people covered by these conditions... so when the news media reports the CDC says, "Masks are no longer required if you are fully vaccinated..."  There should be a big "*" flashing on the screen! 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/people-with-medical-conditions.html

I agree that the selfish, rightous attitudes of the anti-vaxxers, anti-maskers sure do not line "do unto".. so how they sleep at night is beyond me.  I take great comfort in knowing the karma boom-a-rang will eventually land home.

V.

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #6033 on: May 17, 2021, 07:21:31 PM »
This is not technically news, but I figured most here would get a kick out of this and a laugh!!

I just saw a portion of this EXTRA GUM commercial on TV right now. This is the complete commercial. Make sure to notice all the little things!! :laugh:

https://youtu.be/Gxm7Hu-IHJs
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #6034 on: May 17, 2021, 07:26:18 PM »
This is not technically news, but I figured most here would get a kick out of this and a laugh!!

I just saw a portion of this EXTRA GUM commercial on TV right now. This is the complete commercial. Make sure to notice all the little things!! :laugh:

https://youtu.be/Gxm7Hu-IHJs

Great! Thanks!

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
« Reply #6035 on: May 17, 2021, 10:21:59 PM »
^^^^ Very nice.  We are lucky with these vaccines.  I'm betting many certainly feel like that. TY for posting!  V.

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #6037 on: May 20, 2021, 08:07:10 AM »
Nice!

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #6038 on: May 22, 2021, 12:16:09 PM »
Super Lunar Event: Supermoon! Red Blood Lunar Eclipse! All Happening at Once – Here’s What It Means

By Shannon Schmoll - MAY 22, 2021

The first lunar eclipse of 2021 is going to happen during the early hours of May 26. But this is going to be an especially super lunar event, as it will be a supermoon, a lunar eclipse and a red blood moon all at once. So what does this all mean?

A supermoon occurs when a full or new moon coincides with the Moon’s closest approach to the Earth.

The Moon’s orbit around Earth is not perfectly circular. This means the Moon’s distance from Earth varies as it goes around the planet. The closest point in the orbit, called the perigee, is roughly 28,000 miles closer to Earth than the farthest point of the orbit. A full moon that happens near the perigee is called a supermoon.

So why is it super? The relatively close proximity of the Moon makes it seem a little bit bigger and brighter than usual, though the difference between a supermoon and a normal moon is usually hard to notice unless you’re looking at two pictures side by side.

https://scitechdaily.com/super-lunar-event-supermoon-red-blood-lunar-eclipse-all-happening-at-once-heres-what-it-means/

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #6039 on: May 22, 2021, 12:20:53 PM »
Reps. Matt Gaetz and Marjorie Taylor Greene rally in Maricopa County to keep 'big lie' going

David Knowles - May 22, 2021

On Friday, Reps. Matt Gaetz and Marjorie Taylor Greene brought their “America First” road show to Maricopa County, the place that has become ground zero in the Republican effort to keep alive former President Donald Trump’s false claims about his 2020 election loss.

“So, let me just check and make sure with all of you: Who do you think won in Arizona on Nov. 3?” Greene, R-Ga., asked a crowd of roughly 800 people gathered at a hotel ballroom in Mesa.

The question prompted loud cheers and chants of “Trump, Trump, Trump!”

“You know that’s how we feel in Georgia too,” Greene, who wore a blue dress, said of another formerly red state turned blue in last year’s presidential election. “As a matter of fact, that’s how Michigan feels, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin. I think that’s how at least 74-plus million people feel.”

Honoring how people feel, it turned out, was the theme of the night. And no one’s feelings factored more importantly than those of the former president.

https://news.yahoo.com/reps-matt-gaetz-and-marjorie-taylor-greene-rally-in-maricopa-county-to-keep-big-lie-going-154601880.html

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #6040 on: May 22, 2021, 12:26:39 PM »
The Shock Jock Texts That Could Be Critical in the Matt Gaetz Probe

Jose Pagliery, Roger Sollenberger - May 21, 2021

Text messages between Rep. Matt Gaetz’s wingman and a former Florida shock jock reveal how people with key information about an alleged underage sex ring were scrambling as the feds closed in—and they bolster the evidence in a growing scandal that could take down the congressman.

Gaetz associate Joel Greenberg was already under investigation when he had a private exchange with his one-time sports radio co-host, “Big Joe” Ellicott. In that exchange, conducted over the encrypted messaging app Signal and obtained by The Daily Beast, Ellicott expressed fear that others in their group of friends faced legal jeopardy for having sex with a 17-year-old girl.

Ellicott wrote that a mutual friend, a woman who figures prominently in Greenberg‘s Venmo transactions, “knew [the minor] was underage the whole time, had sex with her, and they both went [to] see other guys.”

Ellicott, who is Venmo friends with Gaetz and a number of women in the alleged sex ring, also acknowledged that “for other guys she brought ___ along to see, that could be trafficking,” using a nickname for the former teen. The Daily Beast has independently verified the young woman’s identity but is withholding her name.

https://news.yahoo.com/shock-jock-texts-could-critical-085354147.html

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #6041 on: May 22, 2021, 01:02:50 PM »
I totally get that the wheels of justice turn at the speed of a slug, (with probably as much slime), but with this case and so many of the dozens of others against the orange one, what is taking so friggin' long?

It seems they have enough to force Greensburg to take a plea deal in exchange for testimony, what's the delay on the a**hole Gaetz?
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #6042 on: May 22, 2021, 08:11:19 PM »
Rick Santorum Fired by CNN Over His Racist Comments About Native Americans

By David Badash - May 22, 2021

Rick Santorum, the Republican former U.S. Senator and presidential candidate, has been fired by CNN as its senior political commentator one month after his racist comments about Native Americans, including claiming there had been “nothing” in North America until white colonizers came.

“We birthed a nation from nothing. I mean, there was nothing here,” Santorum told students last month at an event hosted by the Young America’s Foundation, a right wing group with ties to former Vice President Mike Pence. “I mean, yes, we have Native Americans, but candidly, there isn’t much Native American culture in American culture.”

Huffpost’s Jennifer Bendery, who first reported on Santorum’s termination, in April called his remarks “as offensive as they are inaccurate.”

https://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/2021/05/rick-santorum-fired-by-cnn-over-his-racist-comments-about-native-americans/?fbclid=IwAR2PNVTPqq_bVkscQv-Dk68jZD1irGxGXY7BFxEHBKQAiL85iiVAHrSjo6Y

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6043 on: May 23, 2021, 01:29:44 PM »
^^^

Reminds me of a joke I heard on an episode of Laugh-in I watched recently:

Squaw: "This land is my land, this land is your land...
And that sums up the history of the Indians in this country."

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6044 on: May 23, 2021, 01:53:25 PM »
I totally get that the wheels of justice turn at the speed of a slug, (with probably as much slime), but with this case and so many of the dozens of others against the orange one, what is taking so friggin' long?

It seems they have enough to force Greensburg to take a plea deal in exchange for testimony, what's the delay on the a**hole Gaetz?

I know what you mean. For people with absolutely no shame or self-awareness, things take so much longer. And now we have a huge electorate of people who won't hold them accountable.

Reps. Matt Gaetz and Marjorie Taylor Greene rally in Maricopa County to keep 'big lie' going

The only thing more cretinous than these two are those that support and applaud them. I saw some Arizona lady in the crowd talking to a reporter. She had stars in her eyes when she said this about Greene: "I absolutely just love her."

Revising that drug commercial from decades ago:

This is your brain:

This is your brain on Trumpism:

P.S.: Did you know there's a drag queen named: Lady Maga?

P.S.S.:  Because of Watergate, almost every political scandal gets "gate" tagged after it. So why no Gaetzgate?

P.S.S.S.: I have a slogan for Marjorie Taylor's opponent in the next Congressional Election against her:

Greene
No Deal.