The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: News and Current Events - 2017 - 2022  (Read 767616 times)

Online fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
Re: News and Current Events - 2017 - 2021
« Reply #6120 on: July 04, 2021, 12:06:10 PM »
Yep. Conservatives will either say he wasn't gay or he wasn't that important to the Revolution. They lie to themselves as well as to others.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #6121 on: July 04, 2021, 01:22:28 PM »
Very cool comic!   Thanks Lyle!

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6122 on: July 04, 2021, 02:03:18 PM »

You're welcome!  :)

Online killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #6123 on: July 04, 2021, 06:34:06 PM »
Enjoy the 4th everyone!

Some old current events made new (in comic book form):
https://thenib.com/the-american-revolution-s-greatest-leader-was-openly-gay-baron-von-steuben/

This was wonderful, Lyle! Thanks for sharing it!!
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6124 on: July 05, 2021, 10:26:08 AM »

Thanks, Linda!

His memorial and park (a sprawling place where the community would often hold events during the summer, like the annual Volunteer Firemen's picnic) was about a mile from where I grew up. I can't imagine how knowing this stuff in high school might've changed my life, even if a little. I wonder what the community thinks of this information, or if they even know now.

And thank you, Ben Franklin!

Online fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #6125 on: July 05, 2021, 12:10:30 PM »
People have been known to simply ignore inconvenient facts.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6126 on: July 05, 2021, 12:31:14 PM »

...or excuse them on a technicality...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #6127 on: July 05, 2021, 03:04:33 PM »
The court is basically saying that Cosby "reached a deal never to be charged."  Which is ridiculous.

I'm sorry, but I disagree. If that deal couldn't be honored, then no grant of immunity would have to be honored either. The court may have ruled narrowly on Cosby's case, but I think if they had ruled against him, that the deal would not have to be honored, the decision would still be claimed as a precedent. Bruce Castor at least formerly had a good reputation from his years as D.A., but he made a huge mistake in this case.

Even Gloria Alred didn't sound as angry as I thought she would.

From the comments I've read online, the general public is taking this as he's free because he's not guilty, which is not true. He basically had the means and wealth to have lawyers keep nitpicking away at the law to find a technicality to get him off on.

Yeah, that pisses the hell out of me. It does NOT mean he isn't guilty, but, yes, people seem to be acting as if that's what it means, including, I'm sorry to say, from what I've seen, some of his victims. They are right to be angry that he's escaping punishment, but nobody is denying that he did to them what he did.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6128 on: July 05, 2021, 11:41:34 PM »
I'm sorry, but I disagree.

Last week I listened to two lawyers discuss this on a program and they both thought the PA Supreme Court got it wrong. Sounded right to me, but I can't find a video of the discussion.
_____

Well, I did find a video that said what I said above, but it wasn't what I originally had listened to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2YKOVzpSyU
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 11:55:05 PM by Lyle (Mooska) »

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #6129 on: July 06, 2021, 02:23:51 AM »
BLUF:  BC got released on a technicality regarding the honor of a DA's word and agreement.  From my vantage, "a man's word" is an important underpinning of his life - especially for someone in a position of DA/power. Make no mistake, I feel deep empathy for his victims and I hope they have found paths of peace and have moved on with their lives. 

WRT punishment, he's not gotten off and out of punishment completely.  His image, reputation, legacy and family name is forever tainted.  He will continue to be under public scrutiny the remainder of his life.  Summarize all of that, plus the social stigma, plus the millions he's spent already trying to stay outta jail and I think he's still in a prison, and will continue to be so the remainder of his years in this life - just not one with bars.   Let's also hope that karma balances the scales further.

Now can he maybe sue somehow for damages and &diety know what else?  I'd expect his fancy lawyers are already working on those scenarios.   

The ruling, while I do not like the results, sends a powerful message that a DA must honor such agreements, however as unpalatable they may be in hindsight, in perpetuity. That's a foundation of, and remains paramount for the Justice System of the United States. 

Stay safe, stay alive.  Peace. V

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #6130 on: July 06, 2021, 06:49:37 AM »
BLUF:  BC got released on a technicality regarding the honor of a DA's word and agreement.  From my vantage, "a man's word" is an important underpinning of his life - especially for someone in a position of DA/power. Make no mistake, I feel deep empathy for his victims and I hope they have found paths of peace and have moved on with their lives. 

WRT punishment, he's not gotten off and out of punishment completely.  His image, reputation, legacy and family name is forever tainted.  He will continue to be under public scrutiny the remainder of his life.  Summarize all of that, plus the social stigma, plus the millions he's spent already trying to stay outta jail and I think he's still in a prison, and will continue to be so the remainder of his years in this life - just not one with bars.   Let's also hope that karma balances the scales further.

Now can he maybe sue somehow for damages and &diety know what else?  I'd expect his fancy lawyers are already working on those scenarios.   

The ruling, while I do not like the results, sends a powerful message that a DA must honor such agreements, however as unpalatable they may be in hindsight, in perpetuity. That's a foundation of, and remains paramount for the Justice System of the United States. 

Stay safe, stay alive.  Peace. V

I agree, hunnerd percent. As odious as it may be that he's gotten out of prison, I think the court made the right decision.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6131 on: July 06, 2021, 10:43:51 AM »

It only goes to the public's ever growing sense that if you are famous and/or can afford high priced lawyers, you can avoid punishment the average person has no way to avoid or get out of.

And that's what's happened here.

What's next?

Bill Cosby Planning Comedy Tour: ‘The World is Welcoming Him Back’
https://www.philinquirer.com/news/bill-cosby-released-whats-next-20210701.html

Newly freed from prison, Bill Cosby may be planning a stand-up comedy tour, according to his spokesperson. Andrew Wyatt told The Philadelphia Inquirer on Thursday that Cosby, 83, has been “been talking to a number of promoters and comedy club owners” and “is just excited the way the world is welcoming him back.”

Meanwhile, a Missouri man named Kevin Strickland has been in prison since 1978 for a triple murder that he did not commit. He was tried and found guilty by a jury. Since then, the eyewitness whose testimony was partlly responsible for his imprisonment has recanted her testimony saying that she was pressured to testify against him. Jackson County Missouri's top prosecutors have determined he is innocent. They are now calling for his release. The Jackson County Prosecutor’s Office has concluded this following a months long review of his case. The prosecutor’s office is not alone in calling for Strickland’s release. Federal prosecutors in the Western District of Missouri, as well as Jackson County’s presiding judge, Kansas City Mayor Quinton Lucas and members of the team that convicted Strickland four decades ago now all agree he deserves to be exonerated. The complete evidence of this is overwhelming.

Read here: https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/crime/article249595653.html

Missouri Governor Mike Parson has said his release will not be a priority for him, however. "I don't know whether he's innocent or not."  Mike Parson released his pardon list on June 23rd and Strickland didn't make the cut. "I'm just not convinced he's innocent. Jumping the line for a pardon isn't a priority."  He said there could be an opportunity for Strickland to appeal the conviction through new legislation. "The other thing we also realize is there’s legislation coming that's going to affect that case, and we're going to more than likely sign that into law. I won’t say that for sure because I’m always hesitant until it goes through the process."

If it is signed into law, Parson said it would give Strickland an avenue to appeal in August.
___

Yeah, after 43 years, what's another few months/days/years in prison. Maybe Cosby could go to the prison as part of his comedy tour.

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #6132 on: July 06, 2021, 11:30:47 AM »
^^^ I agree that the general public has a rightfully earned belief of "dollar justice" - especially after the horrible OJ debacle! 

BC's release adds to all that..  BUT, the court's point is the agreements made with the prior DA  are binding no matter how unpalatable they might be to his successor.  It's no different that the GOS waltzing into office and not honoring NATO agreements b/c that SOB didn't like'm or perhaps Biden decided to rescind those horrible "pardons" the GOS bestowed on his friends and political adjuncts.

BLUF:  I hope Karma re-balances our Justice Scales b/c BC was convicted by a jury of his peers with the evidence as presented.   

I've been loosely following the unbelievable debacle in Missouri.  It's another example of a horrible situation of injustice being metered by politics. 

My thoughts have been if President Biden wanted, he could step in and end this one with a pardon.  Maybe I'm missing finer detailsas for why maybe that's not happening as we type or not?   
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 01:39:19 PM by gattaca »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #6133 on: July 06, 2021, 11:37:58 AM »
Meanwhile, a Missouri man named Kevin Strickland has been in prison since 1978 for a triple murder that he did not commit. He was tried and found guilty by a jury. Since then, the eyewitness whose testimony was partlly responsible for his imprisonment has recanted her testimony saying that she was pressured to testify against him. Jackson County Missouri's top prosecutors have determined he is innocent. They are now calling for his release. The Jackson County Prosecutor’s Office has concluded this following a months long review of his case. The prosecutor’s office is not alone in calling for Strickland’s release. Federal prosecutors in the Western District of Missouri, as well as Jackson County’s presiding judge, Kansas City Mayor Quinton Lucas and members of the team that convicted Strickland four decades ago now all agree he deserves to be exonerated. The complete evidence of this is overwhelming.

Read here: https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/crime/article249595653.html

Missouri Governor Mike Parson has said his release will not be a priority for him, however. "I don't know whether he's innocent or not."  Mike Parson released his pardon list on June 23rd and Strickland didn't make the cut. "I'm just not convinced he's innocent. Jumping the line for a pardon isn't a priority."  He said there could be an opportunity for Strickland to appeal the conviction through new legislation. "The other thing we also realize is there’s legislation coming that's going to affect that case, and we're going to more than likely sign that into law. I won’t say that for sure because I’m always hesitant until it goes through the process."

If it is signed into law, Parson said it would give Strickland an avenue to appeal in August.
___

Yeah, after 43 years, what's another few months/days/years in prison. Maybe Cosby could go to the prison as part of his comedy tour.

I imagine that a--hole of a governor is a Republican, right?

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6134 on: July 07, 2021, 10:53:38 AM »

Re the Cosby case...if the reasoning for him to be freed is so obvious that everyone agrees it's the right decision, why did it take 15 years to reach this obvious conclusion?

<<< if the reasoning for him to be freed is so obvious that everyone agrees it's the right decision >>>

Even though "the ruling from a divided Pennsylvania Supreme Court split three ways on what should become of Cosby..." (from a Vox article).

And, of course, this whole mess stems from the lawyer, Bruce Castor, who was one of the pathetic attorneys trying to defend Trump in an impeachment trial, wouldn't you know.