The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: News and Current Events - 2017 - 2022  (Read 753113 times)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
Re: News and Current Events - 2017 - 2021
« Reply #6225 on: July 31, 2021, 12:02:02 PM »
I read that people (and businesses) who have been vaccinated and follow COVID protocol safety are starting to get fed up with all the covidiots. (Starting to?) They must be dealt with and the sooner the better. (And it's better for them, that's how insane this is.)

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #6226 on: July 31, 2021, 01:44:48 PM »
I read that people (and businesses) who have been vaccinated and follow COVID protocol safety are starting to get fed up with all the covidiots. (Starting to?) They must be dealt with and the sooner the better. (And it's better for them, that's how insane this is.)

I believe that the covidiots are here to stay, just like Covid.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #6227 on: July 31, 2021, 02:05:04 PM »

I believe that the covidiots are here to stay, just like Covid.

They're starting to sound like Old Testament tribes: The Trumpites, the Covidiots--and the Scientologists?

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #6228 on: July 31, 2021, 02:45:54 PM »
They're starting to sound like Old Testament tribes: The Trumpites, the Covidiots--and the Scientologists?

:laugh:

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #6229 on: July 31, 2021, 08:38:59 PM »
The insanity of the Anti-Vax people is truly something I cannot fathom. I have done EVERYTHING asked by the CDC and other Gov't agencies, both Federal, State and Local. I got the vaccine too. I'm truly SICK of wearing a mask everywhere. And now, because of people who 'fear' the vaccine, or Gov't, we are nearly back to square ONE with this newest variant, Delta. Plus, more variants on the horizon. So people like me have to pay the price for all those who fear the vaccine, and Gov't. LORD! Where would we be if this happened during the Polio or Smallpox vaccine campaigns? HUH? I do all the COVID safety measures/recommendations, not for ME, but for my neighbors and fellow citizens. I just don't get it why we're in this current quagmire!  >:( ??? ::) :"> :-\

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #6230 on: July 31, 2021, 08:46:20 PM »
I hear you, Jonn.  I see things on my FB feed by people, and I'm amazed by it.    The sheer ignorance just blows me away.

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #6231 on: August 01, 2021, 10:01:56 AM »
^^^^ $$ -Humanity has lost a true sense of a larger purpose, a true sense of community and our greater good for our neighbors! 

All of these critical social elements have been purposely eroded and systematically destroyed by the greedy GOP - on purpose, over the past 50 years.   

I said to myself more than a year ago, "until COVID starts killing people these Covidiots know (and care about) - quickly - it's not  ever going to be "real" to them.  Very sadly, until COVID starts killing innocent kids - it's not real to their parents either."   I also hate to think this may be where the virus is heading but COVID ramping up the R0 infection vector is another warning shot over humanity. If COVID19/DeltaV morphs into something even more infectious and then morphs to more deadly, like Ebola, where people literally "melt" from the inside out and the kill rate is 90+%... that might finally create the human cooperation and a stampede to the generous "free" vaccination centers to get vaccinated.  It will be a health crisis unlike we've seen - even to date - but we are heading there if people do not get vaccinated. 

Sadly, ramping death rates in the un-vaccinated might open eyes, even in the GOP controlled states like FL where politicians like Death-Santis are running the show to their favor and base by creating more discourse instead of cooperation.   Now those viral stats are escalating exponentially - just as the "fake" science predicted about the "fake" virus.

It troubles me greatly that a lot of innocent people will become infected and die unnecessarily in MO, AR, LA, MS, AL GA, SC, FL, TX - those very red GOP strangleholds. 

Hospital corridors lined with patient beds and people on ventilators for months, and reports of people texting from their death beds, "I wish I'd gotten the damn shot..."  is all portrayed as "fake news" and the social media titans have failed miserably to shut down the BS and lies, b/c any conflict amplifies their profits.  If there was EVER a real conflict of interest, it's there. 

I personally hope that the US Congress will muster up the balls to go after the social media giants and strip them of Section 230 protections.  This will unleash a wave a legal suits against them - aka like the "big tobacco take-down"  only this time, it's "Democracy" in the balance and people's lives.

The light at the end of our long COVID tunnel is no longer growing brighter.  It will dim further until we as a people, as a community, as a country grit our teeth, get vaccinated, wear masks, and take the precautions necessary for the greater good.    It's not that fracking difficult.

Stay safe, stay alive. Peace.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 06:28:32 AM by gattaca »

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6232 on: August 01, 2021, 01:02:12 PM »
You're right, and until those people have to pay some kind of price, they won't budge. From what I understand is the NFL has come up with "you have to be vaccinated" ...or... "you have to be tested every day", basically. One player said that more people have gotten the vaccine because it's a pain in the ass to be tested every day. It needs to happen on a national level. No vaccine, no flying on a plane, etc.  (I understand that until the vaccine is taken off "emergency use" and put in to the regular use category (not sure of the terminology) that it can't be mandated widely.

-Humanity has lost a true sense of a larger purpose, a true sense of community and our greater good for our neighbors!

I was reading a recent book about WWII where one of the interviewees was talking about that period of time. Something she said caught my attention; she was saying, and keep in mind this was published 2-3 years ago..."back then the country's attitude, when the war came was a sense of duty. Duty to your country and duty to your fellow man to help out in the ways you could help out. And everyone did. It was a national emergency. There was a sense of collectiveness that we'd do what we had to do or, at the very least, one would do something. I get a sense now the national mood is all about 'rights'. Not rights as a whole, but 'my' rights. Mine trump yours. A person's rights are important, but one must not be selfish about your own rights when it comes to the public good."

All slowly eroded and destroyed by the greedy GOP politics - on purpose, slowly over the past 50 years.

It probably goes back even decades before that. A news magazine program I was watching a year ago was showing the roots of this back in the early 1900's. The basic premise is that the GOP hates Government, so that the extent they can get away with it, they don't want it to do anything. And, yes, that element of greed you mention has to be part of that. So the fact they don't want it to do anything, that's how they act when they're in power.

If one has any chance, whether online or with actual people one knows or comes in contact with, that supports the GOP, you must just pose this to them:  What is the GOP offering you in exchange for the power they seek?

Maybe some of them will think about that. You never know what will stick.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6233 on: August 01, 2021, 01:02:51 PM »
^^^

In that vein, you know what Republicans are offering the voters of California? A recall election that, if successful, would remove the Dem. Governor (Newsom) for less than one year prior to the next election for Governor. Estimated cost of this Republican coup attempt: $276 MILLION DOLLARS.

Registered Democrats outnumber registered Republicans, by 2-1, but, of course, R's are more enthusiastic about disruption and so I would not say this is a done deal. Because of a law, though, from 2019, because of the pandemic, it's still in effect that every registered voter will receive a ballot in the mail. If Dems can't fill out a ballot sent to them in the mail, then I give up.

A recent polls says that Californians do not approve of the recall of Newsom, but of those likely to cast votes, it's even split. (WTF?) And in these times, the uncertainties — notably over the pandemic, wildfires and power blackouts for now — mean nothing is certain.

The thing about the recall rules in this state...the thing that bugs me the most is...

The first thing you vote for is "Do you want to recall the Governor?  Yes or No.

The second thing is... IF the vote is to recall the Governor, which candidate do you want to replace him? ...and this is the thing that bugs me the most...   ANYONE can put their name on the ballot to be a replacement candidate. Normally, the party of the person who's Gov. doesn't want to put anyone on the ballot as it gives a sense of doubt about the person who IS trying to be recalled. So Republicans and attention seekers always vie to get on the ballot. There are 46 people on the ballot and the one with the most votes would be Gov. if the recall goes through. So who might that be this time?  Larry Elder? Caitlyn Jenner? Angelyne?

Remember in the Georgia Senate race that the November election day vote had the top two candidates receiving less than 50% of the vote? If either had reached 50% they would've been Senator. But they went to a runoff between the top two. In this case in CA, theoretically, if the votes were pretty evenly split, you could win with 3% of the total vote. And a whole lot of people who vote NO on the recall don't even put down a choice. But even with 30% of the vote this would be rotten. And the CA Republicans have already started a disinformation campaign saying that you should just vote for one of the 46 candidates and not vote YES or NO. They say this will invalidate the vote, which IT WILL NOT. It just means that a vote will go to one of the Republican candidates and not against the recall.

This is maddening. Hopefully, it's needless worrying and it won't happen. A Governor being recalled has only successfully happened twice in the entire history of the U.S., but one of those was here in 2003.

Everything to Know about this CA recall is here, if you want to know about it:
https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2021-07-30/newsom-california-recall-election-everything-to-know

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #6234 on: August 01, 2021, 01:52:15 PM »
^^^ The quote is chillingly correct. 

The people who lived thru the major WW and depression have a totally different "community attitude" and sense of duty for the country.  The splinter is (and the quote is right there too) today is the GOP is making it all about "my rights" (via "states rights").  This is directly from the GOP's dogma and divisive playbook for the ~ last 100 years.   There have been several TV series done on FDR's "New Deal" and why the uber rich (GOPers) hated the success of FDR's program to pull America out of the great depression! They thought they could do it better and get rich(er) doing it too!  (Look for Ken Burn's special on FDR). The GOP despises FDR's New Deal then and NOW.  Yes, you are correct... the GOP's conniving has a long history and it all started around FDR's "New Deal" when power was taken from the "industry titans", the Rockefellers, Vanderbuilts, JP Morgan, ... The GOP has been trying to "undo" TND ever since.  With each passing year they sink lower and lower into the quagmire of no-morals and selling their souls to the devil.

During the past ~50 years, the GOP has made more "in-roads" into unraveling FDR's "New Deal", through various moves - starting with Regan's election (again based on voodoo economics lies) and selling the weak-minded GOPers that "government is the problem" (which is what they wanted to hear!!)   Today, the GOP recently ravaged the voting rights act which kept shit like the Jim-Crow-like election laws from being enacted by states - which is now happening.  They also stole 2 SCOTUS seats, held up 100's judicial appointments until they has the power to appoint GOP bigoted judges, they are/have laser-precisioning/ed gerrymandering state governments to keep themselves in power, where they gave themselves huge tax cuts, ... and the list goes on.    Growl.. I need a good strong drink now!   ;) 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 01:48:42 PM by gattaca »

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6235 on: August 02, 2021, 10:56:57 AM »

You're correct, of course, and did you have that drink?

And you left out their pact with the religious fundamentalist crazies who they pander to for votes with their one-issue concerns...marriage equality (and LGBT issues) and abortion being the most common. (Even arch conservative Barry Goldwater warned against the party embracing those nut jobs. And if the conservatives didn't even listen to Barry Goldwater, you know how nuts they are. On hindsight, Barry had conservative views, but isn't the radical nut job he was painted to be.)

And Rupert Murdoch (a foreigner!) needs a reckoning.

I hear Joni:

Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you got 'til it's gone
They paved paradise and put up a parking lot.

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #6236 on: August 02, 2021, 11:38:04 AM »
Goldwater was quite reasonable, especially by comparison to today's GOP. He has no objection to gay people in the Military, even way back when. He said something to the effect, "You don't have to be straight to shoot straight."

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline brianr

• Obsessed
« Reply #6237 on: August 02, 2021, 03:03:27 PM »
Slight correction Lyle. Rupert Murdoch became an American citizen in 1985 and due to the law in those days had to give up his Australian citizenship.
You are welcome to him  :D

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #6238 on: August 02, 2021, 07:32:23 PM »
Slight correction Lyle. Rupert Murdoch became an American citizen in 1985 and due to the law in those days had to give up his Australian citizenship.

You are welcome to him  :D

:laugh: :laugh:

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6239 on: August 03, 2021, 11:20:54 AM »

When I said Murdoch was a foreigner, I was thinking in terms of "immigrant" which riles up the Trumpists and yet they're attached to his news channel, but I see being a U.S. citizen didn't stop him from taking COVID refuge for himself and his family in Australia because the country was handling it better.