The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: News and Current Events - 2017 - 2022  (Read 753148 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
Re: News and Current Events - 2017 - 2022
« Reply #6990 on: August 12, 2022, 12:33:37 PM »
I agree that the midterms are concerning. However election cycles come up every 2 or 4 years. A nuclear half-life is measured in hundreds of thousands of years. American elections could indeed end our democracy - a horrible prospect. A nuclear accident or war could have untold effects on the planet up to and including the ending of human life on earth.

And that's not impossible.

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #6991 on: August 12, 2022, 01:36:56 PM »
And that's not impossible.

Indeed. I've been feeling this throughout the Russian invasion of Ukraine and even (though less) in the Chinese reaction to the Taiwan visit, but knowing that there are documents that were beyond classified in Mar-a-Lago is a further concern, particularly since the ex-President's followers have sent bombs through the mail and attacked FBI offices. These are weapons which are too dangerous to leave in the hand of crazy people.
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6992 on: August 12, 2022, 05:45:03 PM »
No offense, but I think I know my state and my people better than you do.

Maybe so, but are you just giving in?
___

Are you talking about James Carville saying "Pennsylvania is Pittsburgh in the west, Philadelphia in the east, with Alabama in between?"
___

I don't think the Democrats are pounding hard enough against Dr. Oz (U.S. Senate) and Doug Mastriano (governor)--who will no doubt disenfranchise Philadelphia and Pittsburgh (Democratic strongholds--at least Philadelphia is).

They're pointing out that Mastriano was at the Capitol January 6. I think they should be playing that as, He tried to overthrow the government of the United States and end our democracy.

There is reason for some optimism in the polls. In mid-June the latest average polling in these two races was as follows:

SENATE                                            GOVERNOR
48.2 -- Fetterman                              48.2 -- Shapiro
43.8 -- Oz                                         45.3 -- Mastriano

As of the August 2nd polling:

SENATE                                            GOVERNOR
49.0 -- Fetterman                              49.8 -- Shapiro
38.3 -- Oz                                         41.5 -- Mastriano

Fetterman increased his average by 0.8% whereas Oz was down 5.5%
Shapiro increased his average by 1.6% whereas Mastriano was down 3.8% 

There are three months to go before the elections and polls can change, of course, but Democrats don't need to pound harder on said issues, unless polling starts to negatively change and/or until closer to the election to solidify support, I would say.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #6993 on: August 12, 2022, 07:24:27 PM »
Maybe so, but are you just giving in?

Why do you always assume I do nothing but sit around and wring my hands? I've contributed to Fetterman's campaign--I'm surprised I haven't heard from Shapiro's people; I'd contribute to his campaign, too.
___

Are you talking about James Carville saying "Pennsylvania is Pittsburgh in the west, Philadelphia in the east, with Alabama in between?"

Yes, and that's a pretty fair assessment.
___

There are three months to go before the elections and polls can change, of course, but Democrats don't need to pound harder on said issues, unless polling starts to negatively change and/or until closer to the election to solidify support, I would say.

I disagree. And polls can lead to complacency.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6994 on: August 13, 2022, 10:42:41 AM »
Why do you always assume I do nothing but sit around and wring my hands? ___

Jeff, I don't know if I've thought about what you do or not, but you don't talk about that. Two examples; what you talk a lot about is:

Everybody knows I'm a pessimist when it comes to politics.

I'm a pessimist. I'm afraid it's lost already.

And in my experience:

[Pessimists] also never work to try and change things because they don't expect it will do any good. If one is a pessimist, they focus all their energies and concentration on a lot of negative things. [...] I remember this quote I heard once, "“No one knows enough to be a pessimist.”

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #6995 on: August 13, 2022, 01:06:18 PM »
Well, thinking a cause is lost doesn't mean you go down without a fight. Yes, I think Pennsylvania is lost, but that doesn't mean I won't contribute to the candidates I think will lose, or, worse yet, won't vote at all. Who knows? You might actually win. I just don't expect that to happen.

As for "No one knows enough to be a pessimist," I think that's just unrealistic.

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #6996 on: August 13, 2022, 03:54:22 PM »
Should you be wondering about the "who?" in relation to the nuclear documents that were found this week:

https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-saudi-arabia-nuclear-mar-lago-raid-washington-post-1733182
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #6997 on: August 14, 2022, 12:47:59 PM »
One other thing about the Mar-a-Lago break in - it makes clear what this was all about:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/25/chinese-trespasser-at-trumps-mar-a-lago-resort-sentenced.html

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #6999 on: August 15, 2022, 05:50:55 PM »
Maybe Putin or Bolsonaro will issue one for him. For a small campaign contribution, of course.

That is the current word for bribe.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #7001 on: August 15, 2022, 06:24:46 PM »
Maybe Putin or Bolsonaro will issue one for him. For a small campaign contribution, of course.

Baksheesh

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #7002 on: August 15, 2022, 06:25:49 PM »

Perhaps his friend MBS can help.

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #7003 on: August 16, 2022, 08:07:07 AM »
I will say this much about him: he knows how to excite people who don't like him. Apparently the DOJ has returned the passports. He was just whining.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trumps-passports-returned-mar-lago-search-doj-official-says-rcna43192

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #7004 on: August 16, 2022, 11:26:59 AM »
I will say this much about him: he knows how to excite people who don't like him. Apparently the DOJ has returned the passports. He was just whining.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trumps-passports-returned-mar-lago-search-doj-official-says-rcna43192

Oh, he excels at that.