The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Daily Sheet September - December 2017  (Read 6778 times)

Online killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
The Daily Sheet September - December 2017
« on: September 04, 2017, 07:28:26 PM »

Tuesday, September 5th, 2017

Ang Lee to Keynote Light and Sound Interactive Event

Ang Lee, the two-time Oscar Award-winning director of Life of Pi and Brokeback Mountain, will be a major keynote presenter for the upcoming Light and Sound Interactive (LSI) event, organizers announced today.

Lee, who will present at 7 p.m. Sept. 12, will be joined by Oscar-nominated film editor Tim Squyres and technical supervisor Ben Gervais. Together, they will present scenes from Lee’s groundbreaking 3D, 120 frame-per-second (fps) feature film, Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk. They will discuss the reasons for shooting in this format and the challenges that came with it.

Ang Lee to Keynote Light and Sound Interactive Event

Six Openly Gay College Football Players Hit The Field

The 2017 college football season kicks into high gear this weekend with teams all over the country playing. Among the thousands of players will be a record six on rosters who are openly gay.

It was just a month ago that I wrote about there being a record five, but now the list is being updated after Butler’s Xavier Colvin came out on Monday.

One of the students, My-King Johnson (pictured left), had the pitch-perfect response when asked by the Pac-12 Networks’ Ashley Adamson that “people see you as a pioneer, how do you see yourself?”

“As a kid who plays football,” Johnson said. He has been out for many years and noted that “being open is not new for me, it’s just new for everybody else.”

Six Openly Gay College Football Players Hit The Field

Harvard and Yale Welcome More Bisexual Freshmen Than Ever Before

Harvard and Yale have seen an increase in the number of bisexual students in their freshmen classes.  New students moved into their new student accommodation last week.

The student-run newspapers of both Harvard and Yale surveyed the new students in August.  Harvard’s survey found the number of bisexual students is on the rise.  7.9% of the 2021 class identify as bisexual.  There has been a continuous increase in this number since 2007, when it was a mere 2.5%.  82.5% of freshman at Harvard identify as straight, meanwhile that number drops to 77.4% at Yale. 

There is also an increase in bisexual students in Yale.

Harvard and Yale Welcome More Bisexual Freshmen Than Ever Before

Lesbian Ex-Mayor Has Perfect Response To Ann Coulter

Another day, another perfect response to Ann Coulter’s nonsensical comments.

Days after the controversial right-wing media pundit said it was more “credible” to blame Hurricane Harvey’s devastation on the city’s election of a gay mayor than climate change, the official in question hit back with a succinct yet effective response:

Ann Culter:  I don't believe Hurricane Harvey is God's punishment for Houston electing a lesbian mayor. But that is more credible than "climate change."

Annise Parker:  Darn it, I thought no one knew I had a super power over weather.

Lesbian Ex-Mayor Has Perfect Response To Ann Coulter

Transgender Soldier to Sue Trump

Cathrine Schmid, a staff sergeant at Joint Base Lewis-McChord, believes it is her duty as a transgender person and soldier to speak up when she sees something that appears to be unlawful.

“If I received an unlawful order from someone over me,” Schmid said, “it would be my responsibility to step forward and say, ‘Sir or ma’am, is this really what you want me to do?’”

Last week, a federal lawsuit was filed in Washington on behalf of Schmid, 33, and others, including the Seattle-based Gender Justice League, seeking to reverse President Donald Trump’s ban on military service by transgender people.   “Unfortunately this order came from the commander-in-chief, so the only way to speak up is to have someone step up in the court system,” said Schmid, adding that she is well-positioned to show that transgender people are fit to serve.

Transgender Soldier to Sue Trump

Sarah Graham’s Solo Show ‘Angels Are Intersex’

Sarah Graham was born intersex, or as she jokes, “a woman with balls”. As a child, a gynecologist told Sarah’s parents that her ovaries were cancerous and that she had to have them removed; much later in life, she discovered, to her horror, that “those weren’t ovaries, they were testes.”

Sarah’s solo show, Angels Are Intersex, shares her personal story — from childhood to adulthood — of discovering her own gender and sexual identity. Her discovery has given her the confidence to break the norms within our gender-obsessed culture. She’s funny, painfully blunt, and trying to piece it all together. Now she laughs about it, and will make you laugh too.

Angels Are Intersex is a courageous way for Sarah to tell her story and to aid the fight to end unnecessary surgeries on babies and children. Working with her director and now partner Jessica Lynn Johnson, they created an emotionally charged work, selected to premiere at Son of Semele festival in Los Angeles, and are hoping to tour around the USA then Europe.

I know Sarah; I’ve worked with her; I’ve counseled her, and yet this was the first moment she allowed me to walk in her shoes. It was shocking because I never knew her pain.

Sarah Graham’s Solo Show ‘Angels Are Intersex’

How to Be a Straight Ally at Work

A 2014 study by the Human Rights Campaign found that 53 percent of LGBT individuals remain closeted at work. According to Audrey Gallien, Director of Marketing for Catalyst, a workplace inclusion advocacy organization, even when businesses attempt to provide an inclusive environment, individuals “still must face the inter-personal risk of ‘bringing their full self’ to work”—in other words, they risk their relationship with their manager, team members, or clients changing for the worse.

According to HRC’s report, less than half of straight employees surveyed felt comfortable hearing an LGBT coworker discuss their dating life. And one out of four people surveyed heard homophobic comments like “That’s so gay” while at work.

“We see when individuals experience ‘otherness,’ they are more likely to downplay their aspirations, have lower level mentors, and get less high visibility assignments; all of which are critical for career advancement,” said Gallien.

How to Be a Straight Ally at Work

Your Laugh For The Day!

Contributors: KillersMom, CellarDweller115

The Daily Sheet is a production of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum at http://www.ultimatebrokebackforum.com.

Today's edition by KillersMom, CellarDweller115

Editors emeritae: CactusGal, Marge_Innavera, tellyouwhat, Stilllearning, MissYouSoMuch, gnash

We count on you to send us your news items, questions, and nominations for posts of the day.
If you have items you’d like to see published, send them to CellarDweller115.

To subscribe to The Daily Sheet, click the “Notify” button at the top or bottom of the page.
When a new issue of TDS is posted, you will be notified by e-mail.

The Daily Sheet Archives
Respond to The Daily Sheet
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Online killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
Re: The Daily Sheet September - December 2017
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 07:11:21 PM »

Tuesday, September 12th, 2017

Forum Member Wins Second Emmy!

On Saturday (Sept. 9th), the 2017 Creative Arts Emmy Awards took place, and "Hairspray Live!" on NBC was nominated for 7 Emmy  Awards.  In the end it would win 3. They will be broadcast on FXX Saturday,  Sept. 16.

The Ultimate Brokeback Forum would like to congratulate Jason Howard, who is a member here under the name Sparky, on winning an Emmy for Set Director on "Hairspray Live!" on Saturday night.

This is Sparky's second Emmy win, as he won last year for Set Director on the musical "Grease Live!"   

To quote Sparky after his win:  "I'll be damned!  Bookends!"

To see more about the Emmy's please click the link below.

Forum Member Wins Second Emmy

Row Over AI That 'Identifies Gay Faces'

The Stanford University study claims its software recognises facial features relating to sexual orientation that are not perceived by human observers.  The work has been accused of being "dangerous" and "junk science".  But the scientists involved say these are "knee-jerk" reactions.

Details of the peer-reviewed project are due to be published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology.  For their study, the researchers trained an algorithm using the photos of more than 14,000 white Americans taken from a dating website.  They used between one and five of each person's pictures and took people's sexuality as self-reported on the dating site.

The researchers said the resulting software appeared to be able to distinguish between gay and heterosexual men and women.

Row Over AI That 'Identifies Gay Faces'

Bisexuals & Mental Health Issues

Bisexual people experience more discrimination that other members in LGBTQ communities don’t, a new study has revealed.   Researchers from American University analysed data from 503 participants aged 18 to 64 who identified as being attracted to more than one gender.

They were asked questions that reflected how their bisexuality had affected their lives.

Whilst previous studies have shown that bisexual people are more at risk of experiencing anxiety, depression and suicidal thoughts, this new study published in Prevention Science, found that these risks are exacerbated because bisexual people feel as if they don’t belong in any one community.

“Bisexual people face double discrimination in multiple settings — bisexual people are often invisible, rejected, invalidated, [and] stigmatised in the heterosexual community as well as the traditional LGBTQ communities,” explained lead study author Ethan Mereish.

Bisexuals & Mental Health Issues

Susan Calman Can Be a Lesbian and a Strictly Contestant

For a minority group arguing for better representation on television, we queers can be an ungrateful lot.  Comedian Susan Calman - the thinking woman's choice for jobs from Doctor Who and QI host to Prime Minister - has joined the new series of Strictly Come Dancing and lesbians everywhere are... complaining.

Calman, you see, will be dancing with a man - and what's worse, she actually seems happy about the fact. Cue cries that she is letting the side down, and pandering to heteronormativity and binary gender stereotypes. All of a sudden what should have been a feel-good news item has turned into a trolling campaign.

Although it is a scientifically accepted fact that should a lesbian come into physical contact with a man she will immediately crumble into dust, the Calman has announced that she it is "her choice" to be paired with professional dancer Kevin Clifton.

Susan Calman Can Be a Lesbian and a Strictly Contestant

Patient Gets The New Transgender Surgery She Helped Invent

Like many other surgery patients, Hayley Anthony has a daily physical therapy regimen. But unlike other post-ops, the 30-year-old marketing consultant is recovering from a procedure she helped invent. Five months ago, she became one of the first people in the world to have a piece of tissue incised from the cavity of her abdomen and turned into a vagina. A surgeon in New York City may have pioneered and performed Anthony’s procedure—but the idea to try it in the first place was all hers.

With only about a dozen doctors in the US who specialize in gender affirmation surgery, it’s nearly impossible to keep up with demand, let alone innovate new ways of doing things. But that’s what Jess Ting, director of surgery at the Center for Transgender Medicine and Surgery at Mount Sinai, has been up to for the last two years. What started as a Google search on Anthony’s computer is now the most sought-after surgery Ting performs. In the last six months he’s given 22 trans women something that they weren’t sure they’d ever have—a vagina that looks and feels and secretes like the real thing.

Anthony had known her whole life that she was female, but she didn’t begin transitioning until about four years ago. Then, in the fall of 2015, after months of working with a therapist to better understand herself and her options, she accepted that she had to do whatever it took to have the right body for her mind.

Patient Gets The New Transgender Surgery She Helped Invent

Parents Remove Son From School in Pupil Gender Row

Nigel and Sally Rowe said their son was confused as to why the child at the Church of England School on the Isle of Wight dressed as both a boy and a girl.  The Diocese of Portsmouth, under which the school falls, said it was required to "respect diversity of all kinds".  The couple believe the school should have consulted all parents.

Mrs Rowe told the BBC's Victoria Derbyshire programme that when they spoke with the school, which is not being identified, they were told "if a child wants to do that then we just have to accept it".  The couple said under the school's bullying policy their son faced being disciplined for "mis-gendering" the six-year-old pupil.

Two years ago they removed their eldest son from the same school in a separate row about a different child with gender identity issues.  The Rowes say the suggestion that gender is fluid conflicts with their Christian beliefs and they are seeking a legal challenge against the school's actions.

Parents Remove Son From School in Pupil Gender Row

Rihanna Is a Straight Ally

Earlier this summer, Billboard was called out for labeling Ariana Grande “a gay icon of her generation." Understandably, Grande identifies as a straight woman but that shouldn’t disqualify her as “a gay icon.” Over the decades, gay icons -- including Donna Summer, Cher, Britney Spears, and Whitney Houston -- have been straight women who have evoked a confidence for their LGBTQ fan base and shed light on the issues existing with in that community.

In a way these pop divas have acknowledged a large demographic who consistently supports their careers. No matter the orientation, any ally (especially in this trying day and age) should be embraced for their contributions -- as long as they stand behind authentically supporting us and our rights.

Another icon deserving of this title is none other than Rihanna. Our “Black Madonna” effortlessly showcases how to live life to the fullest (and does it on her own accord), which is the pure embodiment of a gay icon. Here are five essential ways she’s provided her LGBTQ fans the confidence needed to live their lives freely.

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet is a production of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum at http://www.ultimatebrokebackforum.com.

Editors emeritae: CactusGal, Marge_Innavera, tellyouwhat, Stilllearning, MissYouSoMuch, gnash

We count on you to send us your news items, questions, and nominations for posts of the day.

To subscribe to The Daily Sheet, click the “Notify” button at the top or bottom of the page.

The Daily Sheet Archives
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Online killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 05:54:11 PM »

Tuesday, September 26th, 2017

Annie Proulx Wins High Honour

The Shipping News author Annie Proulx has been named as the latest recipient of one of the highest honours in US fiction, the Medal for Distinguished Contribution to American Letters, and praised for her “deep reverence for the beauty and complexities of rural America”.

The medal, which recognises “a lifetime of literary achievement”, has been awarded to authors including Elmore Leonard, Norman Mailer, Toni Morrison and Judy Blume. Authors are put forward for the $10,000 (£7,300) honour by US literary experts, with the National Book Foundation’s board of directors making the final choice. Chair David Steinberger said that Proulx’s work was “widely loved and uniquely significant”, and that “her commitment to crafting compassionate, honest stories has left an indelible mark on literature and created a powerful and enduring legacy”.

The author’s other books include the novels Accordion Crimes and Barkskins, as well as the short–story collection Close Range: Wyoming Stories. The latter includes Brokeback Mountain, which was adapted into the Oscar-winning film of the same name. According to Steinberger, Proulx’s “deep reverence for the beauty and complexities of rural America has introduced millions of readers to the wide breadth of American life”.

Annie Proulx Wins High Honour

Movie's Ads Protest Donation Rules

The last “Saw” movie, released by Lionsgate in 2010, was advertised as “the final chapter.” But you didn’t think a franchise with roughly $1 billion in worldwide ticket sales was going to die that easily, did you?

In true horror film fashion, the series will resume its torture killings on Oct. 27 with an R-rated eighth installment titled “Jigsaw.”

Less expected: Lionsgate’s decision to promote “Jigsaw” by shaking an angry fist at America’s blood-donation regulations.

On Sunday, the studio’s chief brand officer, Tim Palen, began rolling out an online ad campaign called “All Types Welcome.” The campaign has eight social media stars with large gay, bisexual and transgender fan bases — including Shaun Ross, an openly gay model, and Amanda Lepore, the transgender night life diva — dressed as off-kilter nurses and encouraging people to donate blood in preparation for “Jigsaw.” The blood drive starts on Oct. 5 in New York and expands to 25 cities in the following weeks. (More details are available at JigsawSaves.com.)

Movie's Ads Protest Donation Rules

5 Questions You Should Ask Yourself

When I was a mere youth (spoiler: I'm still a youth. I just mean when I was a youth youth) trying to figure out my sexuality, I literally thought my world was ending. I was all, why the F*CK can't I figure this out? Why can't I JUST like these sweaty, wet-puppy-smelling boys? Why do I feel all weird and tingly when I'm around magical, nice-smelling, unicorn-esque girls? Then, once I was a little older and knew WTF sexuality was, you could find me frantically googling, “Am I bisexual?” while probably eating a Lunchable as a fully-grown teenager.

Let me just say, the journey to where I am now — a raging, loud, bisexual who's f*cking awesome at winged eyeliner — has not been an easy one. For one, winged eyeliner is the hardest thing in the goddamn world, definitely not for the faint of heart. But in terms of my sexuality, figuring it out involved a long introspection process that obviously benefitted me in the long run, but still made me have to pick apart myself, piece by piece, and put me back together again. Part of why this process was so confusing for me was because I didn't really know where to start in figuring things out.

So if you're in the same boat I was in, the best place to start is within yourself. So to make this process easier on you — and in honor of International Celebrate Bisexuality Day today — here are some questions you should ask yourself to get you started.

5 Questions You Should Ask Yourself

British Lesbian Wins Landmark Case

A British lesbian has won a landmark legal challenge allowing her residency in Hong Kong as a dependent, in a ruling Monday that could make it easier for gay couples to move to the Asian financial center.

Hong Kong's Court of Appeal found that the woman, identified only as QT, faced discrimination from an immigration department ruling denying her the right to live and work in Hong Kong because the city does not recognize same-sex marriage.

The three-judge panel's decision, which overturned a lower court's judicial review, caps a yearslong fight by QT and her partner to be given the same treatment as tens of thousands of other expatriate workers who are allowed to bring their heterosexual spouses to the former British colony.

QT and her partner married in a civil partnership in England in 2011 and moved later that year to Hong Kong after QT's partner was offered a job. She applied for a dependent's visa but was rejected on the grounds that she was not considered a spouse and since then has spent her time in Hong Kong on a tourist visa.

British Lesbian Wins Landmark Case

Transgender Hockey Player Postpones Hormone Treatment To Keep Playing

Last year, Harrison Browne was done with the National Women's Hockey League, retiring at age 23 in order to undergo hormone therapy and surgery as part of his physical gender transition.

But earlier this month, Browne, a transgender man, made a surprising announcement: He would delay his medical transition to sign with the New York Riveters and play another season in the National Women's Hockey League. The league doesn't require that players identify as female, but says they must not be using hormone therapy if they are transgender men, meaning people who are designated female at birth but identify as male.

Browne's tough decision sheds new light on how the strict line between male and female in the world of sports is blurring, as society grapples with new norms of gender identity.

Transgender Hockey Player Postpones Hormone Treatment To Keep Playing

What is Intersex?

According to the Mayo Clinic, about 1 percent of all people have some type of “gender dysphoria.” That means the gender that people thought they were physically is in conflict with how they feel.

Intersex: “Sex” is different from “gender.” “Sex” refers to biological and physiological characteristics, like genital organs, hormones the body produces, and chromosomes a body has. If someone is intersex, they were born with those characteristics not completely male or female. According to the Intersex Society of North America, there’s no clear agreement on exactly how to define intersex, but some statistics show it might be far more common than people imagine. For example, babies born with chromosomes that are not XX and not XY, or people having surgery to “normalize” genital appearance — each occur more often than once in 2,000 births.

What is Intersex?

Earlier this summer, Billboard was called out for labeling Ariana Grande “a gay icon of her generation." Understandably, Grande identifies as a straight woman but that shouldn’t disqualify her as “a gay icon.” Over the decades, gay icons -- including Donna Summer, Cher, Britney Spears, and Whitney Houston -- have been straight women who have evoked a confidence for their LGBTQ fan base and shed light on the issues existing with in that community.

In a way these pop divas have acknowledged a large demographic who consistently supports their careers. No matter the orientation, any ally (especially in this trying day and age) should be embraced for their contributions -- as long as they stand behind authentically supporting us and our rights.

Another icon deserving of this title is none other than Rihanna. Our “Black Madonna” effortlessly showcases how to live life to the fullest (and does it on her own accord), which is the pure embodiment of a gay icon. Here are five essential ways she’s provided her LGBTQ fans the confidence needed to live their lives freely.

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 03:49:29 PM by CellarDweller115 »
... Kierkegaard

Online killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 11:20:10 PM »

Tuesday, October 3rd, 2017

Jake Gyllenhaal on "Stronger" and "Brokeback Mountain"

In Jake Gyllenhaal’s new movie, Stronger, he plays Jeff Bauman, the Boston resident who lost both his legs in the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing and became an icon when a photograph of him was published in the aftermath. Bauman also helped FBI agents identify one of the terrorists who planted the bombs. Gyllenhaal joined Bill Simmons on the latest episode of The Bill Simmons Podcast to talk what it was like to play Bauman. The two also touched on Gyllenhaal’s experience filming Brokeback Mountain.

One scene in Stronger involves a reenactment of Bauman carrying out a “Boston Strong” flag at a 2013 Bruins game.

“That was the first day,” Gyllenhaal said. “We shot that the first day. Because we didn't know if the Bruins were gonna make the playoffs—and they didn’t—and so we needed the Bruins game.”

The production team went to a Bruins game to shoot the scenes, starting with easy ones in the press box. When the game ended, they sent out an announcement asking fans who were in attendance to remain in their seats so that the team could shoot the scene on the ice. But it was risky—Gyllenhaal thought that few would stay and the scene wouldn’t work.

Jake Gyllenhaal on "Stronger" and "Brokeback Mountain"

Germany Gay Marriage

Two men have become the first gay couple to marry in Germany, on the day gay marriage became legal there.  Karl Kreile and Bodo Mende, a couple for 38 years, exchanged their vows at the town hall in Schöneberg, Berlin.

Registry offices in several German cities were opening, unusually, on Sunday to allow couples to wed on the first day it was legally possible.  Getting married will give gay couples the same tax advantages and adoption rights as heterosexual couples.  Germany has allowed same-sex partners to enter into registered partnerships since 2001, but these did not give couples exactly the same status in German law as marriage.  The German parliament voted to introduce marriage equality in June, after Chancellor Angela Merkel unexpectedly dropped her longstanding opposition to parliament holding a vote on the issue.

Germany Gay Marriage

Bisexual Teen Charged with Killing Alleged Bully

Bronx teen Abel Cedeno had endured years of torment for being bisexual and “different” — but was sent into a deadly stabbing rampage this week by two bullies he didn’t even know, he said in a candid interview at Rikers Island.  “I guess I just snapped,” the soft-spoken 18-year-old said from a guarded cell. “I didn’t mean to kill him.”

Cedeno is charged with plunging a switchblade into Matthew McCree, 15, and Ariane LaBoy, 16 — two classmates who had never picked on him before Wednesday’s attack in a fifth-floor classroom at Urban Assembly School for Wildlife Conservation.

McCree died and LaBoy remained hospitalized Friday.  Both teens had been chucking pencils at his head and calling him names, according to Cedeno.  He said he went to the bathroom and the teens’ bullying continued, with him getting beaned in the head at least three times with pencils before reaching his breaking point.

Bisexual Teen Charged with Killing Alleged Bully

Lesbian Couple Brutally Attacked

A woman and her wife were brutally attacked after a row with their neighbours erupted into violence.  Maria Perilla, who posted a video of the fight online, claimed that she and her partner, Isabel Gaviria, had been attacked repeatedly by a mother and her daughter.

The trouble started when the lesbian couple were overheard arguing and their neighbours called the police.  The married women say they over-reacted for what was a two minute "tiff".  They wrote to the neighbours asking them to retract their report to the police, but the letter only served to escalate matters.

Maria, from Colombian capital Bogota said: "My wife and I have been together for nine years and we have been married a year and a half.  "Last Wednesday we had an argument as all couples do, but it only took two minutes.  We have never had problems before."

Lesbian Couple Brutally Attacked

7 Suspended Following Attack on NJ Transgender Student

Kylie Perez, the 14-year-old freshman at Newark's East Side High School who was viciously beaten by classmates in the school's hallway, plans to speak this month during a string of assemblies on tolerance, according to reports. In the attack caught on camera, Perez was kicked and punched. As a result, seven total students were suspended.

The students will have hearings this week to determine long-term placement and disciplinary measures, according to a statement from Newark Public Schools. The incident is being investigated as an "alleged bias crime," Kathy Carter, spokeswoman for the prosecutor's office said.

Perez says she's eager to get back to school and is planning to attend a rally later today outside the building, organized by Newark Gay Pride.

7 Suspended Following Attack on NJ Transgender Student

Venus Fest Founder Talks Shining a Spotlight on Female and Genderqueer Artists

As Viola Davis said during her speech for her historic 2015 Emmy win, when she became the first black woman to win a Best Lead Actress award in a drama, “The only thing that separates women of color from everyone else is opportunity.”

It’s this lack of opportunity for women and gender nonconforming people in the music industry that drove Toronto-based musician Aerin Fogel to launch Toronto's Venus Fest, a music and arts festival celebrating feminism.

“It’s not that we don’t have women artists, or genderqueer artists, in the industry; it’s just that they haven’t been placed front and center in the way that men have,” she says over coffee at her favorite neighborhood cafe. “This festival is in response to that—we need different levels of representation in the music community. Certainly there are a lot of women at Venus Fest, but there are also men in some of the bands, and there are genderqueer artists too, so it’s not even just women and men. Ultimately, Venus Fest is about tipping the balance of who is usually front and center at a music festival.”

Venus Fest Founder Talks Shining a Spotlight on Female and Genderqueer Artists

Five Ways to Be A Better LGBTQ Ally

Planned Parenthood Toronto’s LGBTQ Youth Initiative is helping the city’s straight and cisgender youth be better allies via a multimedia campaign that launched September 26. Send the Right Message offers practical tools for supporting LGBTQ+ identities while speaking directly to young people.

The public campaign, which includes TTC advertisements, an online resource and a video on pronoun use entitled They Go By Them, focuses on how commonplace it is for homophobic, biphobic and transphobic comments to slip into our text exchanges.  However, texting can also be a space to express more empathetic allyship.

“Sure she came out as bi but we both know she’s a lesbian,” reads one exchange, which prompts the response: “I love you but I think that she knows her identity better than you do.”

Five Ways to Be A Better LGBTQ Ally

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
... Kierkegaard

Online killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 07:36:31 PM »

Tuesday, October 10th, 2017

Heath Ledger: A Life in Pictures

THE starting point for an exhibition celebrating the life and legacy of Heath Ledger seemed obvious for the woman tasked with creating it.

The Perth actor, who died in 2008 at the age of 28, left an impressive canon of film work and his impact as an actor remains undisputed, but curator Allison Holland wanted to capture the man himself — the friend, son and creative spirit who was one of WA’s great success stories.

“He’s a local hero and so many people knew him so I felt a great sense of community and how people relate to him as West Australians,” Ms Holland told The Sunday Times this week at an exclusive look inside the exhibition, Heath Ledger: A Life in Pictures, which opens next Saturday at the Art Gallery of WA.

Ms Holland has spent the past six years putting together this exhibition, featuring Ledger’s personal belongings, intimate photos and famous costumes from some of his 18 films.

Heath Ledger: A Life in Pictures

Little Richard Calls Same-Sex Relationships ''Unnatural Affections''

Little Richard has a new perspective on sexuality, and it widely differs from what he's disclosed in the past.  The 84-year-old rock and roll pioneer recently gave a rare interview to Christian-oriented programming Three Angels Broadcasting Network, simultaneously touching on his faith and repudiating homosexuality as "unnatural."

"When I first come in show business they wanted you to look like everybody but yourself," Richard said. "And, anybody that comes in show business they gone say you gay or straight... God made men, men and women, women."

The "Tutti Frutti" singer continued, "You've got to live the way God wants you to live... He can save you."

In 1995, Little Richard (real name Richard Wayne Penniman) told Penthouse," I've been gay all my life and I know God is a God of love, not of hate." Years prior, he stirred controversy for calling same-sex relationships "unnatural" and "contagious."

Little Richard Calls Same-Sex Relationships ''Unnatural Affections''

Here's the Truth About Britain's 'Rise' in Bisexual Women

The number of bisexual women in the UK has almost doubled in the past five years. According to the Office for National Statistics, the number of women who identify as bisexual has grown from 142,000 to 236,000 between 2012 and 2016 - with the number of bisexual men also seeing a considerable rise.

No other category has grown as quick in percentage terms and while 0.5 to 0.9 might not seem like a significant jump - well, you try being in a minority. Every little helps. The rising figure has, in part, been attributed to the increasing number of celebrities coming out as gay or bisexual, including Cara Delevingne, Kristen Stewart and Miley Cyrus.

So are A-listers really changing people’s sexuality? After all, it’s not like Delevingne is going door-to-door with a clipboard and flyers selling bisexuality (although, dear Lord, with those cheekbones she probably could).

Here's the truth about Britain's 'rise' in bisexual women

'Lesbian Lovers' Tiff' Led to Alleged Satanic Ritual Death

A woman accused of killing her friend during an apparent Satanic ritual allegedly did it in a fit of anger after a heated argument over her ex-lover.  Corrine Jackson, 20, was arrested for the murder of her alleged lesbian lover Nadine Esterhuizen, 18.

Last week Jackson, who tried to commit suicide after Esterhuizen’s murder, was declared medically and mentally fit to stand trial by a District Surgeon at Heideveld Hospital.  Jackson was being treated for knife wounds in jail. In court last week, she appeared with a bandage around her neck.  Jackson, of Woodlands, is expected to be back in the dock on November 1 for a formal bail application.

Sources at Pollsmoor Prison, where she is being held, says Jackson has allegedly admitted to cops that she stabbed Nadine to death during an argument over one of Jackson’s former girlfriends.

'Lesbian Lovers' Tiff' Led to Alleged Satanic Ritual Death

Transgender Teen Ousted By School Is Crowned Homecoming King

A 17-year-old boy who says he was kicked out of his former Christian high school for being transgender is turning the other cheek ― and adjusting his crown ― after being named homecoming king at his new school.

Stiles Zuschlag was bestowed the social accolade at Noble High School’s homecoming game in North Berwick, Maine, on Friday night, just one month after beginning his senior year at the public school.

“This experience feels like a dream. It’s something I never thought could have happened to me,” he told HuffPost by email on Sunday.

The Cinderella moment followed Zuschlag making national news last week after he was told that he was no longer welcome at Tri-City Christian Academy in Somersworth, New Hampshire ― roughly seven miles southwest of Noble High. It followed him transitioning from female to male in 2015, he told the Seacoast Online at the time.

Transgender Teen Ousted By School Is Crowned Homecoming King

‘Asexual’ Edward Heath Had Physical Relationships, Report Reveals

The conventional view of Edward Heath’s sexuality was that he was, as one of his closest advisers once put it, completely asexual.

The report by Wiltshire police, however, revealed that Heath was “sexually active with consenting adults”. The claim, which is separate from the allegations of sexual abuse, was made by two witnesses who spoke to police.

There was no clue, though, as to whether the adults were men or women, or when the activity took place.

Lord Armstrong of Ilminster, who was principal private secretary at No 10 when Heath was Conservative prime minister between 1970 and 1974, said in 2015 that he “never felt a whiff of sexuality about Ted Heath, whether it was in relation to women, men or children”.

‘Asexual’ Edward Heath Had Physical Relationships, Report Reveals

Coming Out Day - The Role For Straight LGBT+ Allies

The 11th of October is marked in my diary as the day I get to tie up 49 other senior leaders from my company. Thankfully for our reputations, it’s all rainbow ribbon and bows and not anything more sinister, plus it is for a good cause: a photo shoot to show all our colleagues worldwide our support of Coming Out Day and LGBT+ equality.

Coming Out Day was founded in 1988 with the idea that the most basic form of activism is coming out to family, friends and colleagues, and living life as an openly LGBT+ person. But according to UK LGBT+ charity Stonewall, nearly two thirds of LGBT+ graduates who were out at university go back in the closet when they start their first job. In addition, two in five feel they can’t come out to their managers and three quarters with clients or suppliers.

I was shocked and saddened by these figures. I hadn’t realized that being in the closet at work was still a fact of life for many LGBT+ people. One of my uncles was a serving US Army officer during the “don’t ask, don’t tell” period. He loved his job and was proud to serve his country. Sadly, when it became clear that he was gay, he had to leave the military and, thus, lost his job.

Coming Out Day - The Role For Straight LGBT+ Allies

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
... Kierkegaard

Online killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 04:22:18 PM »

Tuesday, October 17th, 2017

Michelle Williams: From Marvel to Jeff Koons’ Studio

“My friend did it — we did it late at night one night,” Michelle Williams said on Thursday evening. The actress was debuting a new pink-hued hairdo at Jeff Koons’ studio, where the pop artist’s latest bag collaboration with Louis Vuitton was the focal point of the evening.

“I’m excited to hold this little guy,” added Williams, who was toting a clutch from the new Masters 2 collection featuring a work by J. M. W. Turner. “I’m a Turner fan. I like Venice.” Williams is a regular at Vuitton-sponsored art outings, having also attended a dinner for the first part of collection at the Louvre in Paris last April.

“It was really special. Even I took selfies that night, and they’re not normally my thing,” Williams said.  The actress has a busy fall, including filming the Marvel film “Venom.”

“My name’s Ann. That’s all I know now — that’s it,” she said. “I really like the people I’m working with. It’s Tom Hardy, and I just think he’s a genius, so I’m really excited to get into the ring with him. I’m hoping that by the time it comes out my kid will be old enough to see it. It keeps you relevant when you make movies that your kid wants to take their friends to. My daughter’s so excited about ‘The Greatest Showman’ coming out, she like can’t sleep at night,” she added.

Michelle Williams: From Marvel to Jeff Koons’ Studio

How Did ‘Gay’ Come to Mean ‘Homosexual’?

When I was in high school, my civics teacher complained that homosexuals “stole” the word gay.  I have no idea why he was talking about that, but he’s not alone. To listen to some straight people, it’s like they think that all the gays got together one day and voted on a word to replace “homosexual.” When “gay” got the most votes, we all laughed maniacally about how we were stealing straight people’s awesome word.

In reality, language doesn’t work that way.  “Gay” came into English from French in the 13th century and meant “merry.” By the 17th century, according to Merriam-Webster, the word had taken on a second, sexual meaning: “rakish,” or sexually immoral.

This meaning led to expressions like “gay blade,” which is, as the Oxford English Dictionary puts it, “a dashing or lively man; a rake.” 18th century playwright Nicholas Rowe (who became Poet Laureate of the United Kingdom, so he was thoroughly mainstream for his time) referred to a character in one of his plays as a “gay Lothario” because he was a womanizer. The short 1904 film The Gay Shoe Clerk is about a very heterosexual shoe clerk who isn’t particularly merry – he’s “gay” because he kisses a female client he just met. By the 19th century, a “gay house” was a slang term for a brothel.

How Did ‘Gay’ Come to Mean ‘Homosexual’?

Constantine is Coming Back to TV as a ‘Chain-Smoking Bisexual’

Comic book detective John Constantine is returning to TV – and this time he might not be straightwashed.  Popular DC comic book series Constantine follows Constantine, a bisexual British exorcist and occult detective who actively hunts supernatural entities.

A short-lived TV show based on the comic book aired in 2014 – but the show didn’t feature any same-sex romances for Constantine, played by Matt Ryan.  However, all is not lost.

The character will be making a return to TV, with Matt Ryan reprising the role again for a one-off guest slot in DC’s superhero time travel series Legends of Tomorrow, which is set in the same universe.  And this time, he’s actually bisexual.

Katy Perry Helps Lesbian Couple Get Engaged

Katy Perry may have kissed a girl (and liked it), but it was a lesbian couple that were locking lips Wednesday night at the 32-year-old’s concert.  Performing at Barclay’s Center in Brooklyn, New York, Perry helped a fan named Katie facilitate a surprise proposal between her girlfriend Becky.

The engagement came on a special day for the LGBTQ community, Wednesday being National Coming Out Day.  Bringing the women up on stage, Perry — who was dressed in a sequin silver bodysuit with oversize sleeves, a half skirt and a beaded Cher-like headdress — pointed out that she had a shooting star and asked each what they would wish for.

“Well, I don’t know if all of y’all have seen Becky, but she’s pretty even without any makeup on. And she’s perfect every time I look at her,” Katie told the crowd, in video of the proposal taken by fans before dropping to her knee and pulling out a box with her ring on it it.

Katy Perry Helps Lesbian Couple Get Engaged

DOJ to Help Prosecute Man Charged in Murder of Transgender Student

The Justice Department, at the urging of Attorney General Jeff Sessions, sent a federal hate crimes lawyer to help prosecute a man charged in the murder of a transgender high school student in Iowa, according to court documents and a news report.

It’s an unusual move for Sessions, a staunch conservative who earlier this month began rolling back anti-discrimination protections for the LGBT community and has now dispatched a DOJ lawyer to assist with a case involving the murder of a transgender person.

The decision to send the lawyer was initiated by Sessions, the New York Times reported on Sunday, citing officials. The DOJ usually only assigns lawyers to help local prosecutors when they can provide expertise in certain areas, the report said.

DOJ to Help Prosecute Man Charged in Murder of Transgender Student

Groundbreaking Report on Intersex and DSD in the UK

University of Huddersfield researchers have written a report that calls for a national review of Intersex and DSD medical and social treatment in the UK.

Medical guidelines, Intersex advocates and patient association advocates say that it is usually in the best interest of the child to postpone interventions until they are old enough to be involved in the decision-making process. This is because of evidence that early childhood interventions can cause serious long-term negative effects, such as diminished sexual function and serious mental health problems.

The University of Huddersfield team was disturbed to discover that over the past two decades the NHS has continued to carry out operations designed to "feminize", "masculinize" or sterilize babies and children without the consent of the child, indicating an implementation deficit regarding medical guidelines that recommend a more patient-centered and child-led approach. Most interview participants felt these interventions are only useful when chosen by the individual themselves.

Groundbreaking Report on Intersex and DSD in the UK

Why a Straight White Man Made a Comedy About Homophobia

My name is Ryan Barton-Grimley. I am the producer, director, cowriter, and co–lead actor of the award-winning independent feature film Elijah's Ashes, a dark comedy about homophobia.

Yes, you read correctly. Elijah’s Ashes is a dark comedy about homophobia. And full disclosure: I’m also a straight white, male. So you’re probably thinking, Could this get any worse? It’s pretty hard to imagine a film that could be a harder sell or a more unlikely candidate to make this film. And also, why would anyone write and or make a comedy about homophobia? There’s nothing funny about discrimination.

You’re absolutely right. And that’s why I spent the last four years writing, producing, shooting, acting in, editing, promoting at 40-plus film festivals worldwide, enduring exhaustive Q&A sessions and finally, in some bizarre twist of fate, selling the worldwide rights to Elijah’s Ashes to a boutique indie film distributor. Heck, it’s even going to play for a week at an art-house theater in Hollywood — next week, in fact. But why would anyone do this? The simple answer is, I had a call to action.

Why a Straight White Man Made a Comedy About Homophobia

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
... Kierkegaard

Online killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 09:25:07 PM »

Tuesday, October 24th, 2017

David Harbour Interview

Before Stranger Things, David Harbour was a relatively unknown actor. Despite having minor roles in Brokeback Mountain, War of the Worlds, The Green Hornet, End of Watch, and Quantum of Solace, the actor — whose first professional role was on Broadway — never quite broke into the mainstream consciousness.

Thanks to the break-out Netflix series, though, everything has changed: people recognise Harbour on the streets, the actor’s SAG Awards speech went viral, and he’s landed the leading role in the rebooted Hellboy. Things are, they seem, going quite well.

Speaking over the phone with The Independent from a hotel in Bulgaria, Harbour talked about the upcoming second season of Stranger Things — comparing his character Jim Hopper to Hamlet — along with discussing Hellboy, the state of blockbusters at the moment, and life in the limelight.

David Harbour Interview

Gay Singer Abducted and Murdered in Chechnya

This week, Maxim Lapunov became the first gay man to come forward to detail his experiences of abuse and torture at the hands of Chechen authorities in what have become known as Chechnya’s ‘gay concentration camps’.

According to The Advocate, Lapunov had been in detention for around two weeks, during which time, he was beaten with sticks and forced to fight his partner. Lapunov said, “When I would fall, they would give me a break and then force me to stand up and continue for several more rounds,” adding, “Day after day, they were telling me how precisely they want to kill me,”  Lapunov was released after signing a statement declaring that he would never speak of his experiences, under threats that he would be hunted down and killed if he were to do so.

News of Chechnya’s gay pogroms broke in April 2017, detailing that at least 100 gay men had been arrested and three killed in the Russian region. A survivor of one such camp located at a former military base in Argun claimed he was tortured and interrogated by Chechen officials. In an effort to obtain the names of more gay men, the officials had confiscated his phone and then targeted his contacts.

Gay Singer Abducted and Murdered in Chechnya

Comic book detective John Constantine is returning to TV – and this time he might not be straightwashed.  Popular DC comic book series Constantine follows Constantine, a bisexual British exorcist and occult detective who actively hunts supernatural entities.

A short-lived TV show based on the comic book aired in 2014 – but the show didn’t feature any same-sex romances for Constantine, played by Matt Ryan.  However, all is not lost.

The character will be making a return to TV, with Matt Ryan reprising the role again for a one-off guest slot in DC’s superhero time travel series Legends of Tomorrow, which is set in the same universe.  And this time, he’s actually bisexual.

Nicole Conn Announces All-Star Cast

Veteran lesbian filmmaker, Nicole Conn has announced the cast of her latest endeavor, “Nesting Doll” a story about three broken women whose lives intersect at a lakeside community and who are forever changed through their shared love of a boy with special needs.  Celebrated and beloved Australian actress, Zoe Ventoura (Packed to the Rafters) has signed on for the lead, McKenzie De Ridder.

“I wanted to be part of Nesting Doll from the moment I read Nicole’s script, which I absolutely loved. She has created a compelling world filled with beautifully layered characters and stories.”

Her co-star is Kayla Radomski of “So You Think You Can Dance” fame. She too had “fallen in love” with the story several years ago and signed on for the role of Samantha.

Nicole Conn Announces All-Star Cast

Jenna Jameson Slams First Transgender Playmate

Former porn star Jenna Jameson has stripped away any doubts about how she feels about Playboy featuring its first openly transgender Playmate after publicly slamming the magazine’s decision as “ridiculous” and liking a series of transphobic tweets.

Followings news of French model Ines Rau’s upcoming spread in Playboy’s November-December issue, Jameson, a former Playboy cover model who has since turned to webcam porn, railed against transgender people both on Twitter and to Fox News.

“I have a problem with it just like I have a problem with a transgender competing against biological women in sports,” she tweeted Thursday. “I think it’s setting fire to an iconic brand and pandering to this ridiculous PC world we live in.”

Jenna Jameson Slams First Transgender Playmate

Meet the Genderqueer Activist Behind the Monopoly Man

Amanda Werner, the activist who dressed up as the Monopoly Man at a U.S. Senate hearing on Equifax and “won the Internet,” recently came out to the nation as genderqueer, nonbinary and bisexual. Werner made an announcement to professional colleagues last week on National Coming Out Day, one week after becoming a national media sensation.

“I had not planned to come out so publicly quite yet. But when journalists asked for my pronouns after the stunt, I knew this was the moment to get it right,” said Werner, who uses the gender-neutral pronouns they, them and their. “I am grateful to be able to leverage this attention to raise the visibility of nonbinary people and represent the larger queer and trans communities in my activism.”

Werner, who serves as arbitration campaign manager for Public Citizen and Americans for Financial Reform, dressed up as the Monopoly Man and sat directly behind Equifax CEO Richard Smith at a U.S. Senate Banking Committee hearing on Oct. 4. The stunt enraptured viewers as the Monopoly Man was seen adjusting a monocle, wiping their brow with an oversized hundred-dollar bill and chasing down Smith with a bag of money after the hearing.

Meet the Genderqueer Activist Behind the Monopoly Man

Two Female Playwrights Are Risking Their Lives

Tall and model-thin, Katlego Kolanyane-Kesupile turns heads. She receives constant compliments but in her native Botswana, she is also met with contempt and abuse.  It's simply for being who she is: an openly transgender woman.

Katlego has an ally in Adong Judith. She's a straight woman in Uganda who has made it her mission to stop the type of discrimination lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and queer (LGBTQ) people face in African nations, where homophobia runs rampant.

Consider that 38 out of 54 countries on the continent have enacted laws that make it illegal to be gay and in several, including Somalia and South Sudan, homosexuality is punishable by death.
A recent Pew Research survey found that 96% of people in Uganda believe LGBTQ people should not be accepted by society.

Two Female Playwrights Are Risking Their Lives

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
... Kierkegaard

Online killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 09:46:09 PM »

Tuesday, October 31st, 2017

James Schamus Talks Film Business Past and Present

The end of moviegoing as we know it? The scourge of sequel-itis and the problems of blockbuster economics were the focus of a film industry business overview delivered Saturday by producer James Schamus as part of the Producers Guild of America’s Produced By NY conference.

“Last year was the turning point,” Schamus said. “The actual death knell of the business was heard by those with their ears to the ground…We’re in a fight for the survival of American film.”

Schamus’ provocative introduction was followed by a survey of Motion Picture News articles about the film business drawn from 1916.

Universal Pictures mogul Carl Laemmle warned in two-page trade ads about the mortal danger that feature-length films posed to the nickel-a-seat business of one- and two-reelers. Other stories weighed in on the “absurdly” wide release of the latest Mary Pickford film on 80 screens, the rise of ticket prices to 10 cents and even 15 cents, the innovative marketing approach of newspaper ads to reach “a higher class of clientele,” and the fact that “Intolerance,” D.W. Griffith’s megabudget follow-up to “The Birth of a Nation,” was a flop that bankrupted the Triangle Film Corp.

James Schamus Talks Film Business Past and Present

Hilarious Video Perfectly Calls Out Misogyny In The Gay Community

Misogyny in the gay community has never been a laughing matter... until Michael Henry got his hands on it.  In his latest video, the wickedly funny comedian tackles gay men who think they can’t be misogynists because they’re gay ― “we’re more feminine than you!” ― and feel completely comfortable (and even entitled) to make comments about women’s bodies and lives because they’ve been “put down, devalued and judged too.”

But as Henry and co-star Maxwell Esposito soon learn ― thanks to some much needed schooling by Carly-Ann Giene and Nicole Dubois ― just because gay men and women might be “sisters” in some ways, in many other ways gay men benefit from privileges that women do not.

“Gay men don’t understand all of what it takes to be a woman and what injustices they may feel or have to go through through out their day,” Henry told HuffPost. “And just because we feel comfortable enough with our femininity and our female friends doesn’t mean we get a free pass to say some inappropriate things.”

Hilarious Video Perfectly Calls Out Misogyny In The Gay Community

Valkyrie Isn't Bisexual In 'Thor: Ragnarok' And This LGBT Erasure Is Getting Ridiculous

The topic of representation is fraught, but it shouldn't be. The principle is very simple: because there are lots of different types of people in the world, mainstream fictional media should reflect that. There's plenty of psychological and social science to support this, as a lack of representation leads to groups of people feeling alienated and internalizing prejudices against them. Yet, even though filmmakers have the power to change this — some might even say a moral responsibility — they refuse opportunities for representation for one simple reason: Greed. And probably prejudices too.

As if we weren't sick of publishing call-out articles about this by now, the debate has reared its ugly head once more, because of #Marvel rejecting yet another opportunity to finally introduce an LGBT character to their expansive, seemingly infinitely profitable MCU.

It all started when Tessa Thompson replied to a comment on Twitter that identified Valkyrie as a lesbian. The Westworld actress, who has enjoyed researching her role in Thor: Ragnarok, was eager to correct the fan:  She’s bi. And yes, she cares very little about what men think of her. What a joy to play!

Valkyrie Isn't Bisexual In 'Thor: Ragnarok' And This LGBT Erasure Is Getting Ridiculous

Muslim Woman Reveals Abuse Growing Up as a Lesbian in Pakistan

‘Zayna’, 40, who moved to the UK in 2010, said she was discriminated against because of her sexuality but always stayed true to herself.  She had to leave both her PHD course at university and teaching position at an Islamic school because people felt threatened by her.

But Zayna, from Longsight, Manchester, has now chosen to speak out about her ordeal to help others who are going through the same situation. She was also adamant she could be a Muslim and lesbian despite what some ‘scholars’ had told her and believed certain ‘anti-gay’ passages in the Koran have been misinterpreted.

‘I was born a Muslim and I want to die a Muslim. But if someone wants to kill me then why? Just because I’m lesbian?,’ she told Manchester Evening News. ‘I am a strong brave person but so many people like me don’t have that courage. I realised I need to come out and tell everyone about my story.’

Muslim Woman Reveals Abuse Growing Up as a Lesbian in Pakistan

KC Mom of Trans Girl Avery Jackson Challenges Betsy DeVos

Betsy DeVos isn’t doing enough to protect and support the transgender population, a Kansas City mother whose daughter is trans wrote recently.

The mother, Debi Jackson, took her complaints straight to the source: She spoke directly with the education secretary to encourage her to “provide real leadership” to vulnerable and marginalized youths, who she wrote are being dangerously disregarded by the federal government and DeVos.

Jackson’s daughter galvanized her to start advocating for the LGBT community, and she now works as a family organizer for the National Center for Transgender Equality.

Her understanding of the trans community in the KC area encouraged her to seek an interview with the education secretary after she visited Kansas City last month. That request led to a phone conversation last week between DeVos and Jackson, the latter wrote recently on Medium.

KC Mom of Trans Girl Avery Jackson Challenges Betsy DeVos

Asexuals Talk About the Woes of Living in an Overly-Sexualized Society

A recent study found that asexuality isn’t some bizarre form of “psychopathology” or the result an extremely low libido as once declared by zoologist/sex researcher Alfred Kinsey. Instead, researchers say, “available evidence points to asexuality being best conceptualized as a unique sexual orientation.”

In other words: Having no sexual orientation is itself a sexual orientation. Just like being gay, straight, bisexual, pansexual, etc., etc., etc.   Now, a group of self-identifying asexuals recently sat down with the BBC to discuss just what it’s like living in an overly-sexualized society.

It’s estimated that around 1% of the world’s population is asexual. So out of 7.5 billion, that’s about 75 million people.

Asexuals Talk About the Woes of Living in an Overly-Sexualized Society

Gay-straight Alliances, Gas-and-Dashes Top NDP Government's Fall Agenda

NDP government house leader Brian Mason outlined the government's legislative agenda for the fall session that will focus on protecting gay students and vulnerable employees,  Mason said at a news conference on Friday.

​The government listed several bills it intends to pass in the fall session.

They include:

Bill 19: An Act to Protect Gas and Convenience Store Workers
Bill 20: Beaver River Basin Water Authorization Act
Bill 21: Agencies, Boards and Commissions Review Statutes Amendment Act, 2017
Bill 23: Alberta Human Rights Amendment Act, 2017
Bill 24: An Act to Support Gay-Straight Alliances
Bill 25: Regulated Forestry Profession Amendment Act, 2017

Bill 19 is intended to prevent gas-and-dash thefts by making customers pay up front for fuel, Mason said. 

GSAs are clubs for gay and straight students, but are particularly intended to provided a safe space for students who identify as lesbian, gay or transgender.  "We'll protect the identity of any student who joins a gay-straight alliance because every student deserves a school that's welcoming, caring and a safe place to learn," Mason said.

Gay-straight Alliances, Gas-and-Dashes Top NDP Government's Fall Agenda

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
... Kierkegaard

Online killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 09:50:57 PM »

Tuesday, November 7th, 2017

Heath Ledger's Joker Voted Best Movie Villain

In the world of film, every once in a while, an actor plays a part to such an exacting standard that you immediately know you are watching history being made right there on the screen.  Think Al Pacino in The Godfather, Jack Nicholson in The Shining, Anthony Hopkins in The Silence Of The Lambs and most recently, the late great Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight.

Ledger's performance will no doubt go down in history as one of the greatest of all time and, according to Ranker.com's results for the 'Best Movie Villains Of All Time', the people of the internet know it.  The Joker came in first place with a staggering 17,376 upvotes - almost 10,000 more than Darth Vader in second place.

It's no wonder the Joker came in first place really. Ledger poured his heart and soul into the part and the fact that the role was to be his last makes his performance all the more poignant.

Heath Ledger's Joker Voted Best Movie Villain

First Openly Gay Lawmaker Dies

The former Vermont auditor of accounts and state senator credited as the first openly gay lawmaker in the country elected to statewide office has died.   Ed Flanagan died Friday at a nursing home in New Hampshire. He was 66.

Vermont Democratic State Rep. Mary Sullivan, who had been friends with Flanagan for decades, said Saturday she had planned to visit Flanagan on Friday but arrived shortly after his death.  Flanagan suffered a traumatic brain injury in a 2005 car crash that left him in a coma for several weeks. Sullivan said Flanagan's declining health in recent years was a result of those injuries.

"He was passionate and very progressive," said Sullivan who knew Flanagan in Washington before she moved to Vermont to manage Flanagan's unsuccessful run for Vermont attorney general in 1988. "He was guided by a moral compass."  Flanagan was first elected auditor in 1992. He was elected to three additional two-year terms, including two after he came out as gay in 1995.

First Openly Gay Lawmaker Dies

Twitter Has Been Accused Of "Deliberate Bisexual Erasure"

Twitter has been accused of "deliberate bisexual erasure" after users spotted that making a picture search using the #bisexual hashtag produces no results.

Instead, users who search #bisexual under Photos are greeted with a message that reads: "No results for #bisexual. The term you entered did not bring up any results. You may have mistyped your term or your search setting could be protecting you from some potentially sensitive content."

However, even if a user unticks a box marked "hide sensitive content," Twitter still brings up no photo results after searching the #bisexual hashtag.

No results are produced either if a user searches "#bisexual" under News or Videos. UK-based activism group The Bisexual Index has accused Twitter of "deliberate bisexual erasure," pointing out that "#bisexual is not a slur."

Twitter Has Been Accused Of "Deliberate Bisexual Erasure"

Starbucks Launches Festive Campaign with Lesbian Twist

No mention of red cups… yet, Starbucks has launched a festive ad campaign including a same-sex twist.   The inclusive ad has been launched and is available to view on YouTube.

It says that “the cup is just the beginning”, and the animated ad includes various families including a same-sex couple.

Leanne Fremar, the Starbucks executive creative director, told the Drum that the ad is “an ode to the years”.  It also encourages fans to create their own designs by colouring in white space on the standard Starbucks cups.

Starbucks Launches Festive Campaign with Lesbian Twist

Transgender Candidates Hope to Make History in California

When Lisa Middleton was a 12-year-old living in East Los Angeles, she checked out a book at the library about Christine Jorgensen, a World War II veteran who became the first person to publicly go through sex reassignment surgery. It was after devouring those pages that a wide-eyed Middleton first realized she was transgender.

Fifty years later, Middleton is hoping to make her own history. On Tuesday, she’ll be on the ballot in a City Council race in Palms Springs, and could become the first openly transgender person elected to political office in California.  She’s part of what activists describe as a new wave of transgender candidates running for local, state and federal offices around the U.S. in the wake of President Donald Trump’s election and anti-transgender policies gaining traction in some states.

“We have been the preferred target of conservative forces,” Middleton said in a recent interview. “If transgender people are being attacked, you need transgender voices to respond to those attacks.”

Transgender Candidates Hope to Make History in California

Website Supports Work of Non-Binary Actors

When a student preparing for an audition needed a monologue from a trans character, Emmy-nominated writer Leigh Fondakowski wondered why that would be so hard to find.

After Fondakowski sent a monologue from her play, “I Think I Like Girls", she asked K. Woodzick, a genderqueer actor and director, if a database of monologues for trans and non-binary people (who do not identify with male or female) existed.

Woodzick, who uses the pronoun “they,” said, “If there’s not one, I will create one.”  That day, Woodzick created the Non-Binary Monologues Project.

“In the two weeks since the site has gone live, over 1,200 unique visitors have visited it,” they recently wrote. The site includes monologues “from non-binary, gender fluid, genderqueer, asexual, trans masculine and trans feminine characters.”

Website Supports Work of Non-Binary Actors

Gay-straight Alliance Bill Draws Praise

The NDP’s opening salvo to their new opposition adversary targeted a social conservative policy new United Conservative Party leader Jason Kenney outlined during his campaign.  And for one young conservative, it was the kind of policy that doesn’t sit well with her and some of her peers.

Austin Siebold, a Grade 11 student in Bentley, considers herself a conservative and is open about being gay. But proposals such as schools notifying parents if their child joins a Gay Straight Alliance concern her. In general, Siebold believes in small government.

“When the government creates a bill that tells principals what they can and can’t do in their schools, that’s a problem for me,” she said.  “I support the idea behind the (NDP’s) bill and believe Kenney was unfair in suggesting schools inform parents of student involvement.”

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
... Kierkegaard

Online killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 06:48:20 PM »

Tuesday, November 14th, 2017

Jake Gyllenhaal: Stronger Than Ever

Over the past two decades, Jake Gyllenhaal has established himself as one of the finest actors of his generation, garnering several accolades including a BAFTA win, and Oscar, Golden Globe, and Screen Actors Guild nominations, while working with some of Hollywood’s greatest filmmakers on both independent and studio films.

After a handful of bit parts, the young actor proved he could hold the screen in a leading role in 1999’s OCTOBER SKY. With DONNIE DARKO two years later, Gyllenhaal demonstrated something equally important: a willingness to take a chance on edgy material. But Gyllenhaal continued to defy type casting with Nicole Holofcener's LOVELY AND AMAZING, Miguel Arteta's THE GOOD GIRL, Brad Silberling's MOONLIGHT MILE, John Madden's PROOF, and Sam Mendes' JARHEAD. In 2006, BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN was groundbreaking in its day, and for his work in Ang Lee’s classic drama, Gyllenhaal received an Academy Award nomination and won a BAFTA for Best Supporting Actor. In David Fincher's ZODIAC, David Ayer’s END OF WATCH, and Dennis Villeneuve’s highly acclaimed films PRISONERS and ENEMY, Gyllenhaal found incredible material to showcase his impressive craft. NIGHTCRAWLER saw him embody an investigative crime journalist who will stop at nothing to get a story; he earned BAFTA, Golden Globe, SAG®, Critics’ Choice and Independent Spirit Award nominations for the performance. More recently, we saw him push far beyond what we’d ever seen before in Bong Joon-ho’s OKJA and Tom Ford’s NOCTURNAL ANIMALS, for which he earned a BAFTA nomination.

Jake Gyllenhaal: Stronger Than Ever

George Takei Accused of Sexually Assaulting Former Model

A former model and actor is accusing Star Trek icon George Takei of sexual assault in 1981. The accuser, Scott R. Brunton, who was 23 at the time of the alleged incident, claims that Takei took advantage of him when he was most vulnerable.

"This happened a long time ago, but I have never forgotten it," Brunton tells The Hollywood Reporter in an interview. "It is one of those stories you tell with a group of people when people are recounting bizarre instances in their lives, this always comes up. I have been telling it for years, but I am suddenly very nervous telling it."

Brunton says he was living in Hollywood in 1981, working as a waiter and beginning a career as a commercial actor and model when he met a 43- or 44-year-old Takei one evening at Greg's Blue Dot bar. The men exchanged numbers and would call one another from time to time as well as run into each other at clubs, Brunton says. When Brunton broke up with his then-boyfriend, he spoke with Takei. "He said, 'Let me know what your new number is' and I did. And not long after we broke up and I moved out, George called me," Brunton recalls.

George Takei Accused of Sexually Assaulting Former Model

Adam Is Bisexual On ‘Jane The Virgin’

Love is definitely in the air on Nov. 9's episode of Jane The Virgin. With Jane's longtime best friend Lina (Diane Guerrero) and her fiancé Danny back in town for a murder mystery-themed bachelor/bachelorette party, naturally viewers expected some rocky-romance moments. When Adam comes out as bisexual to Jane on Jane The Virgin, Jane isn't quite sure how to handle it. But fortunately, the CW series uses this moment as an opportunity set the record straight on some common misconceptions and stereotypes about bisexuality.

At the start of the episode Jane, Adam, Lina, and Danny are all pow-wowing about the upcoming bachelor/bachelorette party, with Adam and Danny meeting for the first time. Well, or so fans thought. Jane and Adam's relationship seemed to finally be getting back on track, when a bombshell from Adam's dating past was dropped, sending Jane into a full out panic. Danny vaguely remembers meeting Adam back when they both lived in New York. He pulls out his phone to show Adam a photo. Pointing to the screen he asked Adam if he dated one of the people. Watching intently nearby, Jane and Lina quickly make their way across the room to get a peek at the picture. When Jane tries to confirm that Adam dated the woman in the photo, he nonchalantly states that had actually be in a relationship with the man.

Adam Is Bisexual On ‘Jane The Virgin’

Roy Moore Barred Lesbian From Seeing Her Children Unsupervised

Roy Moore, the Republican nominee for Senate in Alabama, ruled in a 1990s divorce case that a woman who had a lesbian affair couldn't visit her children unsupervised or with her partner, writing that the "minor children will be detrimentally affected by the present lifestyle" of the mother.

Moore, then a circuit judge, was ultimately removed from the case by an Alabama appeals court after the woman and her attorneys argued that he couldn't be impartial because of his views on homosexuality, according to public court documents reviewed by CNN's KFile.

The case took place years before Moore garnered national attention for his public battle over a Ten Commandments statue and his more recent refusal to enforce the Supreme Court's ruling allowing same-sex marriage nationwide, both of which resulted in Moore's removal from the Alabama Supreme Court. It offers an early glimpse of how Moore's interpretation of the Bible and morality would inform his decisions as a public official.

Roy Moore Barred Lesbian From Seeing Her Children Unsupervised

As Trump Attempts a Transgender Military Ban, Germany Celebrates its First Trans Commander

On July 26, when President Donald Trump unexpectedly tweeted his plans to ban transgender servicemen and women from the U.S. military, Anastasia Biefang was more than 4,000 miles away from Washington. Still, she could not hide her shock.

“It felt like a smack in the face,” said the 43-year-old German army officer, who is the first transgender person to command a military unit in the country’s history.

Biefang joined the German army as a man more than 23 years ago. Two years ago, despite fearing negative repercussions for her career, she came out to her superiors and eventually to her entire unit. Her decision to transition from male to female coincided with an unprecedented openness among top military officials in Germany, the United States and other countries to having transgender troops serve openly.

As Trump Attempts a Transgender Military Ban, Germany Celebrates its First Trans Commander

Kelly Clarkson Thought She Was Asexual

Okay, we all know that Kelly Clarkson and her husband of four years, Brandon Blackstock, are just too cute for words together. What we just found out, however, is that Clarkson never felt that feeling (you know what we're talking about) regarding anyone -- ever -- prior to meeting him.

“This isn’t a downer to anybody I dated before him, but I’m just going to be real: I never felt like, honesty, sexually attracted to anybody before him,” Clarkson told People. “And I’m not downing my exes. You know, everybody’s different. But there was something about him.”

Clarkson first ran into Blackstock in 2006, where she was at a rehearsal for the Academy of Country Music Awards to perform a duet with Rascal Flatts. Blackstock, who was the tour manager for the band at the time, happened to walk by -- and boom.

“I honestly thought I was asexual — I’d never been turned on like that in my whole life,” she said. “I was like, ‘Oh that’s that feeling… okay! That’s what they were talking about in Waiting to Exhale.’ I just got it."

Kelly Clarkson Thought She Was Asexual

The NDP’s opening salvo to their new opposition adversary targeted a social conservative policy new United Conservative Party leader Jason Kenney outlined during his campaign.  And for one young conservative, it was the kind of policy that doesn’t sit well with her and some of her peers.

Austin Siebold, a Grade 11 student in Bentley, considers herself a conservative and is open about being gay. But proposals such as schools notifying parents if their child joins a Gay Straight Alliance concern her. In general, Siebold believes in small government.

“When the government creates a bill that tells principals what they can and can’t do in their schools, that’s a problem for me,” she said.  “I support the idea behind the (NDP’s) bill and believe Kenney was unfair in suggesting schools inform parents of student involvement.”

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
... Kierkegaard

Online killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 09:49:05 PM »

Tuesday, November 21st, 2017

Michelle Williams to Join Cumberbatch and Gyllenhaal

Four-time Oscar nominee Michelle Williams is in talks to play the female lead alongside Jake Gyllenhaal and Benedict Cumberbatch in Luca Guadagnino’s Let It Fall Back, a project formerly known as Rio, the Tracking Board has learned.

Studiocanal is financing and producing the Steven Knight-scripted film, which follows a financial reporter (Gyllenhaal) who travels to Rio de Janeiro to visit a wealthy friend (Cumberbatch), only to get sucked into a plot to fake his friend’s death.

Details of Williams’ role are being kept under wraps, and while the actress’ deal hasn’t closed yet, Let It Fall Back is expected to serve as a reunion between her and Gyllenhaal, who co-starred in Brokeback Mountain together. She has yet to work with Cumberbatch, however.

Gyllenhaal and Cumberbatch will each produce via their respective banners, Nine Stories Productions and Sunny March, while Adam Ackland and Riva Marker will also produce.

Michelle Williams to Join Cumberbatch and Gyllenhaal

Turkish Capital Ankara Bans All Gay Rights Functions

The Turkish capital Ankara has banned all gay festivals, screenings, forums and exhibitions on security grounds.  The governor's office said on Sunday that it also wanted to protect public order and sensitivities.

The announcement follows a move last week to ban a festival of German-language gay films also due to have been held in the city.
Homosexuality is legal in Turkey but activists say homophobia is rampant.

["From Saturday] 18 November until further notice, all film and theatre events, screenings, panels, colloquium, exhibitions, etc... have been banned," the city administration said on its website.  It argues that such functions in Ankara and its surrounding province are likely to "provoke reactions within certain segments" of society and are also at risk of being targeted by "terrorists".

Turkish Capital Ankara Bans All Gay Rights Functions

Death of Bisexual Rapper Lil Peep

Budding rap artist and fashion trendsetter Lil Peep died on Wednesday of a suspected overdose of Xanax in his tour bus ahead of a performance in Tucson, Arizona.

The musician, whose real name was Gustav Ahr, spoke candidly about being bisexual and about his battles with mental illness. His first full-length album, "Come Over When You're Sober, Part 1," was a confessional project that explored themes of substance abuse, suicide and depression.   His tragic death is a reminder of the mental and physical health disparities bisexual people face.

Heron Greenesmith, a policy attorney who has been working for almost a decade on LGBTQ policy with a focus on the bisexual community, told NBC News there is a significant amount of evidence showing bisexual people have particular mental health struggles that distinguish them from heterosexual, lesbian and gay populations.

Death of Bisexual Rapper Lil Peep

Starbucks Under Fire Over Holiday Cups

Starbucks' new holiday cups are coming under fire - for possibly depicting the hands of a lesbian couple.  The holiday cup line was launched with a commercial showing a range of ages, races and sexualities. It ends with two women embracing over a cup of piping hot coffee.

While it was celebrated by many, the simple display of inclusiveness has - sadly and predictably - led to outrage from some of the more closed-minded parts of the web.   BuzzFeed wrote that “while people who follow both Starbucks holiday cup news and LGBT issues celebrated the video, the ordinary Starbucks customer probably didn't realize the cup might have a gay agenda.”

The campaign's opening line read: “The holidays mean something different for everyone.”

Starbucks Under Fire Over Holiday Cups

Becoming A 60-Year-Old Transgender Activist

It wasn’t supposed to happen. I’m not supposed to be here. I am in the final month of my 60th journey around the sun. This wasn’t part of the script.  It is not a common thought in the minds of many people who are transgender in this country ― in my mind, the idea of becoming an out, transgender sexagenarian was relegated to categories of fantasy or delusion but is now approaching reality.

Whatever shall I do?

I will say I have done a little research about what additional restaurants offer a 60+ discount. Applebee’s, Ben & Jerry’s, Village Inn and Subway are on the list. Waffle House (Mondays only) is too. Lots of places start their senior discounts at 55.   If I want a Boston Market discount, I’ll need to hang in there for another half-decade. Chick-Fil-A offers a free senior drink, not including coffee (not that I’d ever go there).

As an activist who found her activism later in life, I know there are many younger activists who have been doing this longer than I have. I also know when I started doing activism in Kansas, there were few transgender footsteps for me to follow.

Becoming A 60-Year-Old Transgender Activist

What Does It Mean To Be Skoliosexual?

When it comes to the vocabulary used to define gender and sexual orientation, it can be difficult to keep track of exactly which words people are using to express different preferences and identities — frankly because there are a lot, they're evolving, and they're often defined by the people using them. (Refinery29 created a gender identity glossary for exactly these reasons.)

One relatively new term is "skoliosexual," which means being primarily sexually, romantically, and/or aesthetically attracted to genderqueer, transgender, and/or non-binary people. It's unclear exactly when the word originated, but it's been floated in certain genderqueer Tumblrs and Reddit threads for around the last five years.

It's important to point out that skoliosexuality isn't limited to being attracted to just trans people or just non-binary people, and is inclusive of a range of different genderqueer identities, explains Michael Guichet, LMFT, a licensed psychotherapist who specializes in sex therapy for members of the LGBTQ community. "Sometimes it doesn't include trans folks, and sometimes it does," he says. "As trans folks can fall into genderqueer or gender non-binary, it doesn't mean specifically that they all do." In other words, "skoliosexual" can be used to describe attraction to anyone under the larger umbrella of genderqueer.

What Does It Mean To Be Skoliosexual?

LGBTQ Allies Call on Collier Schools to Change Policies

Collier County Public School’s policies were in the spotlight Friday at the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network’s annual ally night.  The network is a national nonprofit with 40 local chapters that aim to make schools a safe place for LGBTQ students. The network's Collier chapter was co-founded last year by CCPS psychologist Jana Csenger.

“This community is so conservative, it’s a little scary for people sometimes,” she said.

While Csenger appreciates that CCPS has included students of all sexual orientations in its anti-discrimination policies, she finds the district’s “case by case” policy for transgender students problematic. “It does not provide consistency for our kids and it does not give guidance to our administrators,” she said.

LGBTQ Allies Call on Collier Schools to Change Policies

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
... Kierkegaard

Online killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2017, 04:34:39 PM »

Tuesday, November 28th, 2017

Why ‘The Ice Storm’ Should Be a Movie Classic

With the so much time having passed, the 1990s are now being considered a “classic” decade. While I try not to feel old because the decade of my childhood is now an “oldies” era to today’s teenagers, I do find it fascinating what pop culture from that time remains relevant, if not more popular.

One movie that I’ve always been impressed by is Ang Lee’s adaptation of Rick Moody’s novel The Ice Storm from 1997. The original year of release was a big one for Hollywood with Titanic, Boogie Nights, L.A. Confidential, Jackie Brown, Good Will Hunting and As Good as It Gets to name a few hits. Naturally, Lee’s retro drama would be buried a little bit in the shuffle.

Now reaching the mid-point of the holiday season, and with so few Thanksgiving movies out there to pick from compared to Halloween and Christmas, this week would be a great time to revisit The Ice Storm. Starring some of the biggest names in film during the ‘90s—Kevin Kline, Joan Allen, Sigourney Weaver, Tobey Maguire, Christina Ricci, Elijah Wood and Katie Holmes—the story takes place during a record-breaking cold Thanksgiving break in 1973 in New Canaan, CT. Sixteen-year-old Paul Hood (Maguire) returns home for the holiday from his prep boarding school while pining for pretty classmate Libbets Casey (Holmes). His dad Ben (Kline) is having an affair with Janey Carver (Weaver) from the neighborhood, his mom Elena (Allen) is having a mid-life crisis as a housewife, and Paul’s 14-year-old sister Wendy (Ricci) likes messing with Janey’s sons Mikey (Wood) and Sandy (Adam Hann-Byrd).

Why ‘The Ice Storm’ Should Be a Movie Classic

Jewish And Muslim Leaders Unite To Demand Protection

Jewish and Islamic leaders have demanded protections for religious officials who refuse to perform gay marriages under Australia’s new same-sex marriage law.

Imams and rabbis from the the city of Perth said that any new law legalizing gay marriage should include express provisions for religious leaders who cannot perform gay marriages due to the tenets of the faiths they follow, according to The West Australian. The religious leaders’ concerns come in the wake of a postal referendum in which 61.6 percent of Australian voters cast ballots in favor of same-sex marriage.

“No priest, imam or other religious minister should be required to perform a religious ceremony that they believe goes against their own religion’s requirements,” Rateb Jneid, head of the Australian Federation of Islamic Councils, told The West Australian. “This is all that is required under any new legislation and we don’t believe would be controversial in any way.”

Jewish And Muslim Leaders Unite To Demand Protection

Bisexual Lawyer Sues Union Gospel Mission After it Rejected Him

A bisexual Christian man is suing Seattle’s Union Gospel Mission after it refused to hire him because of his sexual orientation.  Union Gospel Mission, which has provided addiction recovery, one-on-one counseling, emergency shelter and legal support services for homeless people in King County since 1932, says employees must live by a “Biblical moral code.”

When a staff attorney position opened in October 2016 for the nonprofit, religion-based organization, mission volunteer Matthew Woods was encouraged to apply, according to the lawsuit filed Thursday in King County Superior Court.  But as he started the application process, he disclosed he was in a same-sex relationship. David Mace, Union Gospel Mission’s managing attorney, told Woods, “sorry you won’t be able to apply,” because the Employee Code of Conduct prohibits homosexuality, the lawsuit says.

Bisexual Lawyer Sues Union Gospel Mission After it Rejected Him

Lesbian Couple Raped, Beaten and Held Prisoner for Days

A married lesbian couple in Indiana have reported being held prisoner for days, being beaten and denied food or water.  Three men and one woman, aged in their 20s and 30s, face a swathe of charges for the crime, including kidnapping, criminal confinement, battery and rape. 

The two women say they traveled to a house in east-Indianapolis to do heroin on November 10. The house reportedly belonged to the female attacker, Melissa Richards.  One of the women borrowed Richards’ car, who became angry when it wasn’t returned fast enough.  “I’m keeping your wife until I get my car back,” Richards said, according to the affidavit, as reported by the Indianapolis Star.

The victim was bound and beaten, and held in a large closet, where she says, Kenneth Braswell, another attacker, pulled down her pants and raped her. “If you scream, I’ll hurt you,” she said he told her.  Braswell has denied the charges of physical and sexual assault.  When her wife returned the next day, both were bound and forced into the basement where they were pistol-whipped and beaten.

Lesbian Couple Raped, Beaten and Held Prisoner for Days

Transgender Rights Row Intensifies as Book Fair is Cancelled

An annual book fair that has served for more than three decades as the most important meeting point for the British anarchist movement has become the latest casualty of widening splits over the issue of transgender rights.

Organisers say that they no longer have “the appetite or the energy” to stage next year’s London Anarchist Bookfair, following fraught scenes at the event last month. A group of feminists were confronted by other activists who accused them of distributing “transphobic” leaflets that promoted prejudice against transgender people.

The acrimony follows highly publicised splits in universities, women’s organisations and political parties over the issue. Lily Madigan, a 19-year-old who has just won a vote in Kent to become Labour’s first women’s officer from a transgender background, has been at the centre of a row within the party.

Transgender Rights Row Intensifies as Book Fair is Cancelled

Intersex Person Set to Return to Tamil Nadu

Arundhati, an intersex person from Tamil Nadu who was being taken care of by the Oasis Cultural Society, a collective of transgenders, is set to return home.  Arundhati, 18, was released into the society’s care by the Chief Judicial Magistrate, Thiruvananthapuram, after Sreekutty Namitha, patron of Oasis, and Renjini Pillai, secretary, submitted applications to the Superintendent of the Mental Health Centre, where Arundhati has been lodged for the past two months.

Arundhati said her parents lived at Kaliamman Kovil Theruvu, Third Street, Malanampatti, Dindigul. She was the youngest of three children. Her mother died and her father, Kaliappan, remarried her mother’s sister Nagamma.  Unable to adjust to the situation at home, Arundhati joined a hijra community at Villupuram. She had to hand over whatever she earned from begging and was beaten up if she dared ask for money for food.

Intersex Person Set to Return to Tamil Nadu

Family Acceptance Project

Family Acceptance Project ( FAP ) - the world's first research, intervention, education and policy initiative that helps diverse families learn to support their LGBTQ children to prevent serious health risks and promote well-being is proud to celebrate its fifteenth anniversary. Founded by Dr. Caitlin Ryan and Dr. Rafael Diaz of San Francisco State University in 2002, FAP's pioneering research and intervention strategies to engage parents, caregivers and other family members as allies to support their LGBTQ children and adolescents have established the critical role of family acceptance in helping to protect against risk and promote well-being for LGBTQ children and youth. FAP's comprehensive research on LGBTQ youth and their families has shown for the first time how family rejection and acceptance contribute to their children's risk and well-being, including increased risk for suicide, depression, substance abuse and HIV, while protecting against multiple serious health risks. FAP's first-ever Family Support Model — grounded in this research — provides a vital roadmap to reduce family rejection that can lead to homelessness and placement in foster care and juvenile justice systems and to increase acceptance and support for LGBTQ children and youth among family members and others in their congregations and communities.

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
... Kierkegaard

Online killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2017, 07:38:20 PM »

Tuesday, December 5th, 2017

An Alternative Guide to Great Movies: "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon"

When the martial arts movie first made its presence felt in western cinema in the early 1970s and made huge stars of action heroes like Bruce Lee and later Jackie Chan, it operated in a rough, tough, urban landscape.

It was essentially an action extension of the gangster movie that was so popular at the time. Hong Kong replaced New York but the corruption and the seediness remained the same. The stories were often tales of a lone warrior, seeking honour and revenge for some past injustice.

Cheaply and quickly made, these films were cinema’s punk movies. The stories were little more than an excuse to string together some jaw-droppingly spectacular action sequences. As a result films like Enter The Dragon and Way of the Dragon were incredibly popular and made a huge impression on a new generation of film-makers like Quentin Tarantino.

In the 1980s as the martial arts film moved to video, it stayed stuck in a cheap B movie landscape. It could be argued that Hollywood by creating its own stars in Chuck Norris, Steven Seagal and Jean Claude Van Damme, took the martial arts movie away from the Far East. It certainly had no interest in exploring the origins, history or romance to be found in the art-form – which is what makes the global success of Ang Lee’s Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon such a welcome surprise.

An Alternative Guide to Great Movies: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Supreme Court Considers Religious Objections to Serving Gay Customers

A Colorado baker says requiring him to make a cake for a gay wedding would violate his freedom of expression. But the couple he turned down says refusing to serve gay customers is illegal discrimination.

On Tuesday, the U.S. Supreme Court will consider who's right in one of the most closely watched cases of the term, one that pits freedom of religion and expression against marriage equality and protection from discrimination.

While a recent Gallup survey showed that nearly two-thirds of Americans support the Supreme Court's 2015 decision legalizing same-sex marriage, gay and lesbian rights advocates fear a loss in this case would mark same-sex couples as undeserving of full legal protections.  Some religious organizations, on the other hand, say a loss on their side would force dissenters to support marriages they find objectionable.

Supreme Court Considers Religious Objections to Serving Gay Customers

Bisexual Man Attacked by a Father and Daughter

A sadistic father and daughter have been caged for beating, stripping and burning the pubic hair of a bisexual man – leading him to attempt suicide.  Drunken Robert Moore, aged 43, and 23-year-old Gemma Moore forced their mentally-ill victim to perform sexual acts and punched and kicked him, a court heard.  They took off his trousers and shoes and Moore senior took his lighter to the man's pubic hair.

The victim, in his 20s, had his legs wrapped up in duct tape and was bundled into the street in the early hours, Plymouth Crown Court heard.   Jailing them both for two years and eight months for the assault, Judge Ian Lawrie said: “Over several hours both defendants indulged in a cruel and persistent process of physical and sexual humiliation."

“You both physically beat him. The assault consisted of numerous blows to his torso and once knocked to the floor you repeatedly kicked him to the head."

Bisexual Man Attacked by a Father and Daughter

Lesbian Twin, Straight Sister Could Reveal the Secret to Human Sexuality

Researchers hoping to identify genetic and environmental factors associated with sexuality hit the jackpot when they discovered identical twins Sarah Nunn, who is attracted to men, and Rosie Albewhite, who is attracted to women.

The 29-year-old sisters were investigated by scientists as part of a study aiming to learn more about how sexuality develops in childhood.  The sisters were among 55 other twins studied by researchers at the University of Essex.

Sarah recalled Rosie's tomboy tendencies as they were growing up, telling The Times her boyfriends "instantly felt more at home" with her sister.   "She liked football, talked about boy things, played video games," she said.

"They'd be like, 'Sarah, you’re really boring. I’m going to go and play with Rosie.'  I’d get jealous that they liked her better."

Lesbian Twin, Straight Sister Could Reveal the Secret to Human Sexuality

Chicago-Area School District Under Fire

A suburban Chicago school district that previously faced the threat of having federal funding stripped over its decision to bar a transgender student from using the girls’ locker room is now facing a lawsuit from another student.

Nova Maday, a senior at the District 211’s Palatine Township High School, filed a lawsuit Tuesday against the district alleging school officials have illegally discriminated against her by making her change for gym class separate from other girls.  The district had faced a federal discrimination complaint by another transgender student over the issue of locker room access in 2013.

The matter was settled when the district agreed to accommodate her — the plaintiff was known as Student A — after the district was warned by the Obama Administration that it was violating Title IX, a federal law that bans sex discrimination. It was the first time a school system was found to be in conflict with Title IX rules based on gender identity.

Chicago-Area School District Under Fire

What It's Like Being Intersex

Doctors knew there was something different about Anick shortly after he was born. His penis was unusual – much smaller than most boys', and with an opening along the side. They explained what they could to his parents, but they didn’t know what it would mean, or what the future held.

They also could not foresee what shame would do to him, or how much he would have to fight when he couldn't bear the silence any more.   “I never thought that one day I’d be doing something like this,” says Anick, sitting in the BuzzFeed News office, “actually talking about what was originally the biggest secret of my life.”

He is here because he needs people to understand what it is to be intersex. Very few others in Britain have ever spoken publicly about it. He hopes that finally people will begin to discuss a basic fact of life: that a lot of people’s bodies are not entirely male or female. “I don’t want more children growing up the way I did – hiding it,” he says.

Family Acceptance Project ( FAP ) - the world's first research, intervention, education and policy initiative that helps diverse families learn to support their LGBTQ children to prevent serious health risks and promote well-being is proud to celebrate its fifteenth anniversary. Founded by Dr. Caitlin Ryan and Dr. Rafael Diaz of San Francisco State University in 2002, FAP's pioneering research and intervention strategies to engage parents, caregivers and other family members as allies to support their LGBTQ children and adolescents have established the critical role of family acceptance in helping to protect against risk and promote well-being for LGBTQ children and youth. FAP's comprehensive research on LGBTQ youth and their families has shown for the first time how family rejection and acceptance contribute to their children's risk and well-being, including increased risk for suicide, depression, substance abuse and HIV, while protecting against multiple serious health risks. FAP's first-ever Family Support Model — grounded in this research — provides a vital roadmap to reduce family rejection that can lead to homelessness and placement in foster care and juvenile justice systems and to increase acceptance and support for LGBTQ children and youth among family members and others in their congregations and communities.

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
... Kierkegaard

Online killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2017, 08:02:13 PM »

Tuesday, December 12th, 2017

'I Don't Want to Make Films That Only Exist on the Surface'

The definition of “character actor” reads as “one who specialises in playing eccentric or unusual people rather than leading roles."

While perennial lead star Jake Gyllenhaal could never technically be labelled as such, there’s no denying his status as an actor who fluidly bridges the gap by fronting films playing these precise types of characters. In this way, Gyllenhaal is in a league of his own.

Another factor setting Gyllenhaal aside from the rest is an old-fashioned passion for the craft – something easy to discern after mere minutes in the company of an actor who evidently cares as much about his little-seen early roles (2001 comedy Bubble Boy) as he does the ones that, in an alternate world, would have won him every award going (here’s looking at you, Nightcrawler).

It’s perhaps no stretch to say that Gyllenhaal’s enthusiasm has hit a new peak following his latest role in Stronger, a passion project of sorts, telling the real-life story of civilian Jeff Bauman who had both his legs amputated following the Boston Marathon bombing on 15 April 2013. The actor also produces from John Pollono’s screenplay, which is based on Bauman’s own memoir.

'I Don't Want to Make Films That Only Exist on the Surface'

The 'Lost Prayers' Of A Gay Teen Bullied To Death

Social media platforms can connect people across the globe — and terrorize people next door.

In a new novel, Ricky Graves is a young man coming to terms with his sexual orientation in a small New Hampshire town. He's tormented by a jerk named Wesley, until Ricky kills him — and then himself.

The news media descend. And after they've gone on to the next sad crime, Ricky's pregnant sister, Alyssa, returns to the town she fled so that she and her shattered mother can get a hold on the terrible event that has taken two lives, and understand the son and brother they loved.

The Lost Prayers Of Ricky Graves is an Amazon Best Book of the Month for December, a novel partly told by emails and chat-room dialogues. It's James Han Mattson's first novel — he's a graduate of the Iowa Writers' Workshop who now teaches writing at The George Washington University.

The 'Lost Prayers' Of A Gay Teen Bullied To Death

‘Brooklyn Nine-Nine’ Character Comes Out As Bisexual

The Fox sitcom “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” dropped some big information about one of its characters during its 99th episode Tuesday night: tough-as-nails detective Rosa Diaz revealed that she’s bisexual and dating a woman.  When co-worker Charles attempts to support her, she brushes him off at first, only to apologize later and say she didn’t think who she dated was anyone’s business.

Diaz’s revelation might surprise some fans, but not Stephanie Beatriz, the actress who plays her. She told Entertainment Weekly there were hints as far back as the first season. (The show is now in its fifth season.)

“There’s a great episode [Season 1’s ‘The Vulture’] where Jake and Rosa mention Tonya Harding, and Rosa off the cuff says, ‘Yeah, she’s thick,’ as a compliment to Tonya,” Beatriz explained. “Ever since the episode, which was pretty early on, I thought, ‘Oh, Rosa is not heterosexual. She’s much more open to being bi or queer than I would have thought before.’”

How the American Sappho Published the First Book of Lesbian Love Poetry

Elsa Gidlow, who published America’s first book of lesbian love poetry and the first openly lesbian autobiography, helped invent the stereotype of the mellow, mindful, bed-hopping, pagan-worshiping, self-indulgent, perpetually seeking Northern Californian.

If intersectionality describes how different oppressions mimic one another, Elsa Gidlow’s life as a “poet-warrior” demonstrates what we could call sproutability: how different liberations blossom together. Born in England in 1898, Gidlow was a free spirit. She approached everything openly, expansively, from relationships to gardening, from writing to politics.

Raised in the Montreal suburbs in poverty and family misery, Gidlow turned her escapist reveries into poetry. She declared her independence early: from her family, traditional gender roles, heterosexuality, conventional politics, and French Catholic Quebec’s square spirituality.

How the American Sappho Published the First Book of Lesbian Love Poetry

This Doctor Wants To Transform Transgender Care In America

When Dr. Maurice Garcia was a young surgical intern in San Francisco in the early 2000s, he regularly encountered transgender patients who had horror stories about their encounters with doctors.

Once, a transgender woman came to him distressed that she couldn’t find a surgeon to remove her testicles. Garcia couldn’t fathom why she was having such a difficult time finding someone to perform a simple and common surgery routinely done for people with testicular cancer. He thought it was especially odd because there were significant medical benefits to the procedure; removing the testicles meant the woman could stop taking certain hormones and lower her dosage of other hormones.

“[She was] told, ‘I’m not a transgender surgeon, you have to find someone else,’” Garcia recalled. “Or, ‘I don’t believe in that.’”

These kinds of roadblocks moved some patients to seek gender-affirming surgery in Mexico, Thailand or elsewhere, where procedures were cheaper but surgical standards might be lower. When they returned to San Francisco with serious complications from botched procedures, neither Garcia nor his colleagues at the University of California, San Francisco, knew how to manage the injuries.

This Doctor Wants To Transform Transgender Care In America

Doctors knew there was something different about Anick shortly after he was born. His penis was unusual – much smaller than most boys', and with an opening along the side. They explained what they could to his parents, but they didn’t know what it would mean, or what the future held.

They also could not foresee what shame would do to him, or how much he would have to fight when he couldn't bear the silence any more.   “I never thought that one day I’d be doing something like this,” says Anick, sitting in the BuzzFeed News office, “actually talking about what was originally the biggest secret of my life.”

He is here because he needs people to understand what it is to be intersex. Very few others in Britain have ever spoken publicly about it. He hopes that finally people will begin to discuss a basic fact of life: that a lot of people’s bodies are not entirely male or female. “I don’t want more children growing up the way I did – hiding it,” he says.

Program at FSU Paves the Path For Becoming an LGBTQ+ Ally

This past Tuesday, Dec. 5, the Allies and Safe Zones 101 workshop offered a three-hour basic training in allyship and basic LGBTQ+ issues.

The Allies and Safe Zones program promotes acceptance and support of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Questioning, Intersex, Asexual and Pansexual (LGBTQ+) individuals. It’s organized through the Student Government Association and is offered regularly to the campus community. The program is open to all regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.

The 101 session was facilitated by Assistant SGA director Carolyn Harris and Gabe Marenco-Garcia, a coordinator within student offices in Oglesby Union. Those who attending the event ranged from advisors to counselors to undergraduate and graduate students.

“Allyship isn’t about a destination; it’s a journey,” Harris stated. She also defined the program as a process of “learning and un-learning,” explaining how in addition to learning new things in the program, a successful outcome will also be the product of unlearning many stereotypes and stigmas that previous institutions or interactions may have bestowed on us.

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
... Kierkegaard

Online killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2017, 06:00:22 PM »

Tuesday, December 19th, 2017

Brokeback Opera Comes to New York

Years ago, Brokies congregated in Spain to see the opera version of Brokeback Mountain.  The image to the left features the stars of that production, Tom Randle and Daniel Okulitch.

It was wondered if the opera would go on the road, and appear in the United States.  It was later confirmed that NYC would see the opera,  but the date was not determined.

The libretto for Brokeback Mountain was written by Annie Proulx herself, following a period of persuasion to take on a medium she had never attempted. The wisdom of such a collaboration was borne out by the results: in language distilled to that which can be sung onstage, the story’s details and themes remain intact, but the method of its telling required significant changes.

SCHEDULE -  MAY 31 7:30PM,  JUNE 2 2:00PM,  JUNE 3 4:00PM,  JUNE 4 7:30PM, 
LOCATION - JAZZ AT LINCOLN CENTER'S ROSE THEATER - 10 Columbus Circle, NY, NY 10019 

Tickets can be purchased here:

NYC Opera

Visit the forum thread about this event here.

Brokeback Mountain Opera-New York City, May 31 and June 2–4, 2018

Complaint Ends 6 Year Tradition

When Marion High School student Logan Waner painted a rainbow flag on his parking space, he didn’t intend to end a six-year senior tradition.

But earlier this week, after nearly three months of controversy, the tradition is over. The school board voted 4-3 Monday to end the practice of seniors painting their parking stalls, the Marion County Record reported.

Waner painted a rainbow flag — a symbol of LGBT pride — on his parking spot at the central Kansas school in September. A day later, Chuck Seifert of Marion showed up at a special school board meeting to complain to superintendent Aaron Homburg.

Confusion came when Waner posted on Facebook that principal Tod Gordon was requiring him to change his design — a claim Gordon denied. He said he had no specific guidelines for painting the spots and approved the design before it was painted.

Complaint Ends 6 Year Tradition

The Fox sitcom “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” dropped some big information about one of its characters during its 99th episode Tuesday night: tough-as-nails detective Rosa Diaz revealed that she’s bisexual and dating a woman.  When co-worker Charles attempts to support her, she brushes him off at first, only to apologize later and say she didn’t think who she dated was anyone’s business.

Diaz’s revelation might surprise some fans, but not Stephanie Beatriz, the actress who plays her. She told Entertainment Weekly there were hints as far back as the first season. (The show is now in its fifth season.)

“There’s a great episode [Season 1’s ‘The Vulture’] where Jake and Rosa mention Tonya Harding, and Rosa off the cuff says, ‘Yeah, she’s thick,’ as a compliment to Tonya,” Beatriz explained. “Ever since the episode, which was pretty early on, I thought, ‘Oh, Rosa is not heterosexual. She’s much more open to being bi or queer than I would have thought before.’”

A Dad Who Stood Up For His Lesbian Daughter

Earlier this week, a video of Alabama peanut farmer Nathan Mathis protesting against Senate candidate Roy Moore went viral.   Mathis, 74, went to a rally with a sign that said, “Judge Roy Moore called my daughter Patti Sue Mathis a pervert because she was gay. A 32 year old Roy Moore dated teenage girls ages 14 to 17. So that makes him a pervert of the worst kind.”

Yesterday, he appeared on The Ellen Degeneres Show.  He talked about his daughter who died by suicide in 1995 at the age of 22.

When Mathis found out that she was gay when she was in high school, he said things that he later came to regret. Several months later, his daughter asked for help to turn straight.   He took her to a hospital and then to several doctors and mental health professionals, and they all said the same thing: they can’t turn her straight, and she had to accept who she was.

A Dad Who Stood Up For His Lesbian Daughter

Transgender People Can Enlist in Military Jan 1

The Pentagon is allowing transgender people to enlist in the military beginning Jan. 1, despite President Donald Trump's opposition.

The new policy reflects growing legal pressure on the issue, and the difficult hurdles the federal government would have to cross to enforce Trump's demand to ban transgender individuals from the military. Two federal courts already have ruled against the ban. Potential transgender recruits will have to overcome a lengthy and strict set of physical, medical and mental conditions that make it possible, though difficult, for them to join the armed services.

Maj. David Eastburn, a Pentagon spokesman, says the enlistment of transgender recruits will start Jan. 1 and go on amid the legal battles. The Defence Department also is studying the issue.

Eastburn told The Associated Press on Monday that the new guidelines mean the Pentagon can disqualify potential recruits with gender dysphoria, a history of medical treatments associated with gender transition and those who underwent reconstruction. But such recruits are allowed in if a medical provider certifies they've been clinically stable in the preferred sex for 18 months and are free of significant distress or impairment in social, occupational or other important areas.

Transgender People Can Enlist in Military Jan 1

LGBT Activists to Protest Transgender Rights Bill in India

Protesters are expected to take to Parliament in India to protest a bill they say threatens trans rights.  The Transgender Person’s (Protection of Rights) Bill 2016 is expected to be tabled in parliament this winter.  Activists say the bill in its present form should not be adopted.    It has been drawn up by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.

The protest is expected to take place on Sansad Marg, the street that leads to parliament.  Protesters say the bill in its current form threatens trans freedoms as screening committees will be set up in every district of India. 

Gender recognition certificates will be issued to trans people after examinations take place by health officers.

“The bill says… there will be a screening a committee in each and every district which is going to screen a transwoman, a transman or an intersex. Am I going to strip in front of the district magistrate or CMOH to prove that I am a transwoman? Before they go for any kind of drafting of a bill, they should educate themselves about the life of transgender,” Aparna Banerjee, a transgender activist, told NDTV.

“(The bill) takes away our right to self-determination of our gender identity. Many transgender persons don’t identify as transgender. They identify as either male or female. So the freedom to identify our own gender lies with us, not with someone else, a third party. It does not lie with the state and that is how dangerous the bill is,”
Anindya Hazra, another activist added.

LGBT Activists to Protest Transgender Rights Bill in India

This past Tuesday, Dec. 5, the Allies and Safe Zones 101 workshop offered a three-hour basic training in allyship and basic LGBTQ+ issues.

The Allies and Safe Zones program promotes acceptance and support of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Questioning, Intersex, Asexual and Pansexual (LGBTQ+) individuals. It’s organized through the Student Government Association and is offered regularly to the campus community. The program is open to all regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.

The 101 session was facilitated by Assistant SGA director Carolyn Harris and Gabe Marenco-Garcia, a coordinator within student offices in Oglesby Union. Those who attending the event ranged from advisors to counselors to undergraduate and graduate students.

“Allyship isn’t about a destination; it’s a journey,” Harris stated. She also defined the program as a process of “learning and un-learning,” explaining how in addition to learning new things in the program, a successful outcome will also be the product of unlearning many stereotypes and stigmas that previous institutions or interactions may have bestowed on us.

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
... Kierkegaard