The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Gay Cinema  (Read 669049 times)

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
Re: Gay Cinema
« Reply #4335 on: March 24, 2020, 10:50:34 AM »
I watched I am Jonas, with the great Felix Maritaud in the main role as the older Jonas. The film could have used a better screenplay, and maybe director. But I liked all of the perfomances in it. It's not in English, had the subtitles, but some of the dialogue didn't make it to the screen, so I got lost a few times!.......I have yet to see Felix in Sauvage/Wild, I think I'll have to order that film.......

I hadnít heard of this but have found it on Netflix UK. Will watch soon - thanks.

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #4336 on: March 24, 2020, 02:36:05 PM »
I watched I am Jonas, with the great Felix Maritaud in the main role as the older Jonas. The film could have used a better screenplay, and maybe director. But I liked all of the perfomances in it. It's not in English, had the subtitles, but some of the dialogue didn't make it to the screen, so I got lost a few times!.......I have yet to see Felix in Sauvage/Wild, I think I'll have to order that film.......

I saw Jonas at MQFF last year. I thought the screenplay and the director are very, very good.

(FWIW I posted my responses to it here on May 15, post 4180 on page 279)

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #4337 on: March 26, 2020, 06:35:52 PM »
Did we watch the same film, Tony!?! lol....just kidding!  ;D....to each his own, I just thought the storyline needed a little more of something, and trying to follow the dialogue without the English subtitles always showing was a challenge. Still a good film.

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #4338 on: March 27, 2020, 12:57:06 AM »
Did we watch the same film, Tony!?! lol....just kidding!  ;D....to each his own, I just thought the storyline needed a little more of something, and trying to follow the dialogue without the English subtitles always showing was a challenge. Still a good film.

It must have been frustrating when the subtitles were missing, Jonn !

Offline Flyboy

• Obsessed
« Reply #4339 on: March 27, 2020, 10:33:29 AM »
Someday I'll get my French down Pat, and won't need the subtitles!!  :o :o :o

Online fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #4340 on: March 27, 2020, 11:09:29 AM »
Someday I'll get my French down Pat, and won't need the subtitles!!  :o :o :o

That's what Nixon said after watching Deep Throat with his wife.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schŲn..."

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #4341 on: March 27, 2020, 12:27:31 PM »

;D :o :P :-* :laugh: !!!

Offline Flyboy

• Obsessed
« Reply #4342 on: March 27, 2020, 12:31:39 PM »
That's what Nixon said after watching Deep Throat with his wife.
So Deep Throat bonked Pat Nixon?!! WOW, that really THICKENS the PLOT!! hahaha......I saw the film too!! Me, oh MY!!  :P :laugh:

Offline Flyboy

• Obsessed
« Reply #4343 on: March 27, 2020, 12:33:34 PM »
;D :o :P :-* :laugh: !!!
Hello, Lyle!! Was NICE to see you in the Diner the other day, you don't get there much! Hope you're staying SAFE and SANE in California!! I just found out my Nephew who lives in Sacramento tested positive for the Virus this week!! Now I know someone who has it........round and round we go...... :o

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #4344 on: March 27, 2020, 01:07:34 PM »
Oh, no, Jonn. Is his job out and about or has he been following the stay at home rules?

SAFE and SANE?  I'm staying safe all but once a week when I need to go to a market.

As for sane, I've been limiting my television news intake for several reasons. The biggest problem right now is we don't have a leader guiding the country to the same goal. We have a leader guiding things to benefit himself and individual state and local leaders doing, or not doing, what they think is right. So they and doctor type people are sounding alarms to scare people into staying home. Not saying some people don't need to be scared to do what's necessary, but then an average person doesn't know how to assess the risks. Not an optimal system.

For example, I've been avoiding a lot of TV news, but yesterday I saw an online article about the current state of things and then started reading other articles and now I'm afraid to go out of the house! I guess I have to go out once a week and just take precautions and not let it worry you. Worrying is a futile emotion, so why do we do it, even if we know it's futile?

So insane is crazy so I guess I'm sane, not crazy. Maybe a little stir crazy.  :-\

I have enough TV to keep me occupied if I desire. But last night for a spell I just didn't want to watch anymore. I went to Amazon to order a book I've been wanting to read, but unless I wanted to pay an exorbitant shipping fee, I don't, I won't receive it until near May 2nd! I knew they were busy and items they need to ship to people take precedence, but it doesn't say anything about that on their website, like it does others.

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #4345 on: April 02, 2020, 11:58:57 AM »

Yes, I agree, Jonn. I didn’t like it very much. I thought the denouement at the end was a little melodramatic and didn’t really Fit with the rest of the film (yes I know that it was why Jonas had become such a misfit etc). It wasn’t terrible, but didn’t really appeal, though That might have been partly because of the mood I was in.

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #4346 on: Today at 03:10:10 AM »
An undemanding film on YouTube at the moment which is quite enjoyable, More Than Only. Itís described as a romantic comedy, which is slightly misleading, as it touches on difficult topics: homophobic violence and bigoted parents, but overall the tone is not too heavy, and it is romantic. Not always brilliant acting, but I did actually enjoy it.

Offline brian

• Obsessed
« Reply #4347 on: Today at 07:30:27 PM »
An undemanding film on YouTube at the moment which is quite enjoyable, More Than Only. Itís described as a romantic comedy, which is slightly misleading, as it touches on difficult topics: homophobic violence and bigoted parents, but overall the tone is not too heavy, and it is romantic. Not always brilliant acting, but I did actually enjoy it.
Thanks Sara, I actually enjoyed it on a miserable wet day, not suitable for walking or gardening and I am not allowed to go anywhere else. I only just set my TV and laptop up a week ago although I bought the connection before Christmas. I do not have any subscription services so can only watch what is available on TVNZ on Demand or Youtube. Do not remember when I last watched TV during the day time but the movies are of course closed. It got better as it developed. Jonathan Daniel Miles (Justin) is very cute and a quick look at his biography shows his own life was not a million miles from the story.