The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.  (Read 73720 times)

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
Re: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.
« Reply #1080 on: September 23, 2019, 05:53:30 PM »
You might find this of interest, too, Vincent.  :)
https://www.filmcomment.com/blog/deep-focus-downton-abbey/

A very good summary!  TY  V.

Offline Elisiv05

• Obsessed
  • "Per sidera iuro."
« Reply #1081 on: September 26, 2019, 07:47:01 AM »
Yesterday I watched "Wind River" on Netflix  (for obvious reasons). I' m not particurlarly fond of thrillers, but this one actually added to my bbm- experience. Not until I saw this film I realised how hard Ennis's (and Jack's, before he moved to Texas) life must have  been, all this snow and darkness, which someone who grew up in rural  Scandinavia like myself  doesn' t have a hard time relating  to. I think the BBM film lacks this element of harsh winter nature, while it is more present in the SS, and in other Proulx stories in " Close range" . You' ve probably discussed this long ago, but isn' t the snow a bit romanticized in the  movie - playing in the snow, Thanksgiving snow...? I don' t know. Anyway, it almost felt like home with road signs saying  Lander and talk of work in Riverton, of a herder who found the dead girl's body by Wind River, coyotes getting shot. The cowboy hat made my day. Didn' t think they used them  anymore. And  such a vast, beautiful remote scenery. Used to hardship, indeed.
You know somebody name a Jack?

"Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always."

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1082 on: September 26, 2019, 11:49:42 AM »
I will have to check that one, I do like thrillers ;)

Offline Elisiv05

• Obsessed
  • "Per sidera iuro."
« Reply #1083 on: September 26, 2019, 12:10:56 PM »
I will have to check that one, I do like thrillers ;)
Yes, this was a good " western noir", that reminded me a lot of  Winter's Bone, the " Hillbilly noir" with Jennifer Lawrence, which I  really loved.
You know somebody name a Jack?

"Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always."

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #1084 on: September 28, 2019, 07:21:39 PM »
Yesterday I watched "Wind River" on Netflix  (for obvious reasons).

yes, good file.  Tough to watch.  Glad you liked it. V.

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
  • ...suspended above ordinary affairs...
« Reply #1085 on: October 01, 2019, 04:17:58 PM »
thefilmdetective
Welcome… we’ve been expecting you. ⁣

Our “31 Days of Horror” is rising from the dead for an entire month dedicated to murder mayhem, creature features, and horror legend Bela Lugosi! Our witching hour begins at 7:00 PM EST on Sling, STIRR, and DistroTV, where vengeful clowns, undead teenagers, and murderous monsters will emerge from the darkest corners of cinema. October is here, and there is everything to fear.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1086 on: October 05, 2019, 12:04:37 PM »
--No Man's Woman

A friend and I watched this a week ago. It's a mid-fifties tale of a really brazen woman who treats people very badly and they all don't like it. Heh!  I didn't know anything about it when we watched it and after reading the Blu-ray case and a synopsis on IMDB, they all mention a plot point that doesn't happen until halfway through the 70-75 minute film. I'm glad we didn't know this because you really don't want to. Sheesh. You gotta be careful even reading the dvd/blu-ray synopses of things. If anyone wants to see it, don't read about it first.

It stars Marie Windsor and she's a hoot in the title role, lol! And here's a tidbit about her with a 4-letter word. My friend used to work for a writer/producer and because we saw this movie and also went by Goldwyn Studios recently (now The Lot) he told me that this writer/producer told him once that he used to have an office at this studio and one day he was seeing actresses to interview for a role.

So Marie Windsor had an appointment this day and she came into the room and he greeted her. He said she looked around the room for a minute before sitting down. She crossed her legs and then looked at him and remarked, "I think I fucked George Raft in this office."

:laugh:

Here's Marie in a lobby card from the film.

The handsome (skeptical!) beefy man on the left is Richard Crane. He was mostly a B-Movie actor and later did lots of TV series episodes.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 12:10:53 PM by CellarDweller115 »

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1087 on: October 05, 2019, 12:21:31 PM »

--Harriet

This is a biographical movie about Harriet Tubman. I only know her from my school books as a black woman who escaped to the North to be free and then was part of the underground railroad helping other slaves to freedom in the north. Recently, there was an episode of a time travel series I really liked, Timeless, where Harriet Tubman in one aspect of her journey, was the main focus.

I enjoyed seeing this film detailing her life, trials and tribulations and her accomplishments. This is one film where the brutality of slavery hits home more from what it does to people and their humanity more than the violence and brutality being the focus (like 12 Years a Slave, which I thought was a terrible film for many reasons) though you'll find it in this film as well.

It's beautifully photographed by Jon Hall who won an Oscar for A River Runs Through It. I liked the fact that there were characters in this film, not just stereotypes. The film suffers a bit because there isn't an overall story arc that culminates in a specific ending, IMO, but it's a very effective film nonetheless.

Now when I hear the name Harriet Tubman, my understanding of the woman and the importance of her life has been enhanced 100 fold.

Harriet is played by the actress Cynthia Erivo, who had a great role in last year's underrated film, Bad Times at the El Royale, a bit flawed, but endlessly fascinating--check it out if you haven't.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1088 on: October 05, 2019, 12:23:25 PM »
Some of you know, as I've mentioned before, that I have several friends and people I know who are members of SAG. Two of them this year are on the awards nominating committee and they have been invited to dozens of screenings already this year, most of which have Q&A's or introductions by the film makers. Lucky them!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #1089 on: October 06, 2019, 04:42:33 PM »

Here's Marie in a lobby card from the film.

The handsome (skeptical!) beefy man on the left is Richard Crane. He was mostly a B-Movie actor and later did lots of TV series episodes.

I note Patric Knowles on that lobby card, too. He had quite a career from the Thirties to the Fifties. He was Lindsey Woolsey in Auntie Mame.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1090 on: October 07, 2019, 01:28:26 PM »

--Joker

I'm of two minds about this film. On the one hand, it's a very intriguing study of "Arthur Fleck." A loser-type who lives with his mother, has mental problems and an unusual condition, a poor job and lives in low class conditions. Society is becoming increasingly divided between those who run things and those who don't believe any of them. (Like now?) The story is basically an origin story of how the character of the Joker comes to be. We can mostly understand this guy's journey to how he becomes what he does. (There's also some origin stuff to Bruce Wayne's beginnings, with emphasis on his father. (Who knew Bruce Wayne's father was a douchebag?)

The film is set in a Gotham City that feels like 1970's New York City with garbage strikes, filth, vintage cars and a talk show patterned after The Tonight Show the nightly routine. (Robert DeNiro plays the Johnny Carson stand-in.) Most people think it's the 1970's, but there's a scene near the end with a movie marquee that shows Zorro, the Gay Blade and Body Heat playing. Those were both released in 1981. A lot of the film is quite interesting and intriguing. It's a film I might say I liked.

My problem is that this film pretty much shows the birth of a pretty psychotic criminal. We never embrace this guy from the start as someone we like. Through the movie there are some very violent and/or pretty brutal scenes and this criminal in the making ultimately is embraced by the public in the film, but there are no consequences. It's like a coming out party. You might like a movie with an arc like this where the criminal is caught or jailed or pays a price. Or like an anti-hero you like, but know they really shouldn't be doing what they do and will get caught and punished. There's no such consequences in this film.

(And really, how can you not connect this to Donald Trump (gets away with everything, a public that embraces all sorts of prejudices love him, etc.) 

So it's a film I was intrigued with and repulsed at simultaneously and the results of how it plays out didn't leave me choosing either side of those emotions as my opinion of it.

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1091 on: October 07, 2019, 06:02:55 PM »
I watched In the Shadow of the Moon, a Netflix film, with Michael C Hall!! Unusual film and story, but I LOVE anything with Michael C Hall, so it was all good for me!! Although he didn't have the central role. No matter....... ;D

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1092 on: October 08, 2019, 01:10:42 PM »
I watched In the Shadow of the Moon

I like that title.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1093 on: October 08, 2019, 02:28:19 PM »

--Dodsworth

Last night a friend invited me to something he got tickets for at AMPAS's Goldwyn Theatre:
The Robert Osborne Celebration of Classic Film:
 Dodsworth

This is the inaugural presentation of what is intended to be an annual screening event of Robert Osborne's favorite films, which we were assured are many, designed to return classic films to the big screen for new audiences.

People associated with Robert Osborne had asked Diane Baker, one of Osborne's closest friends, to come up with some ideas about how to keep Osborne's legacy afloat and she thought of asking Randy Haberkamp at AMPAS about something like this.

The film is about an automotive tycoon, Dodsworth, who decides to sell his manufacturing plant, then he and his wife Fran plan to settle into retirement with an extensive tour of Europe, but throughout their travels, the couple find themselves growing apart as their desires clash – Fran chases spontaneity and aristocracy, while the faithful Sam enjoys a simple, leisurely life. Internal conflict ensues after Sam runs into Edith Cortwright , an attractive divorcée and old acquaintance now living in Italy.

The 1936 film had 7 Oscar nominations, including Picture, Director, Supporting Actress for Maria Ouspenskaya who has one scene !!! (but nails it) and it won for Art Direction. It was pointed out this was filmed all on the soundstages at Goldwyn Studios on Santa Monica Blvd. in West Hollywood! Besides Maria, the film stars Walter Huston, Ruth Chatterton, Mary Astor, Spring Byington, Paul Lukas and has supporting roles from David Niven and John Payne. I had no idea those two had been in Hollywood movies that early!

There are really candid depictions of marital infidelity and dissolution in this film and is surprising considering Hollywood's Hays Code at that time. However, the film remains really modern and relevant because of this! I saw the film once before on TV. It can be a bit rough going watching at home, but on the big screen the art direction makes up for that as well as an audience who appreciates the sparkling dialogue and marital intrigues.

The BONUS for attending this screening is that it included a Q&A of appreciative friends of Robert Osborne. They were Eva Marie Saint, Diane Baker, Carole Cook, Angela Lansbury and Robert Wagner. A short introduction speaking about Robert Osborne and his influence on making TCM a success was given by current TCM host Ben Mankiewicz.

The movie itself was a recently restored film print of it and we were told that we were the first audience to see it! As an extra, they had Robert Osborne introduce the film himself as he had done from a showing of it previously on TCM!

Here's a photo that was taken at AMPAS last night with the featured guests: (Ben Mankiewicz is not in the photo)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #1094 on: October 08, 2019, 03:44:10 PM »
You mean Carole Cook is still alive? I figured she'd died years ago! (I'm not trying to be a jerk; I really figured she must have passed on years ago!)