The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.  (Read 73706 times)

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
Re: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.
« Reply #1095 on: October 08, 2019, 03:58:30 PM »
--Joker  I'm of two minds about this film. ... 

That's a good summary.  I have not seen the film but have read a few reviews.  I'm doubting I'll watch it on the big screen b/c I'll always think of Ledger's portrayal.   Later, V.

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
  • ...suspended above ordinary affairs...
« Reply #1096 on: October 08, 2019, 04:46:57 PM »
thefilmdetective
When a wealthy man fears he is being stalked by a murderer known as "The Gorilla," he hires the Ritz Brothers to investigate. But no sooner do the zany brothers arrive when a real gorilla escapes from captivity and makes himself comfortable at the wealthy man's mansion! From director Allan Dwan, this thrilling laugh riot, "The Gorilla" (1939), also stars Patsy Kelly, Lionel Atwill, and Bela Lugosi!.

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
  • ...suspended above ordinary affairs...
« Reply #1097 on: October 08, 2019, 04:53:26 PM »
--Joker

I'm of two minds about this film. On the one hand, it's a very intriguing study of "Arthur Fleck." A loser-type who lives with his mother, has mental problems and an unusual condition, a poor job and lives in low class conditions. Society is becoming increasingly divided between those who run things and those who don't believe any of them. (Like now?) The story is basically an origin story of how the character of the Joker comes to be. We can mostly understand this guy's journey to how he becomes what he does. (There's also some origin stuff to Bruce Wayne's beginnings, with emphasis on his father. (Who knew Bruce Wayne's father was a douchebag?)

The film is set in a Gotham City that feels like 1970's New York City with garbage strikes, filth, vintage cars and a talk show patterned after The Tonight Show the nightly routine. (Robert DeNiro plays the Johnny Carson stand-in.) Most people think it's the 1970's, but there's a scene near the end with a movie marquee that shows Zorro, the Gay Blade and Body Heat playing. Those were both released in 1981. A lot of the film is quite interesting and intriguing. It's a film I might say I liked.

My problem is that this film pretty much shows the birth of a pretty psychotic criminal. We never embrace this guy from the start as someone we like. Through the movie there are some very violent and/or pretty brutal scenes and this criminal in the making ultimately is embraced by the public in the film, but there are no consequences. It's like a coming out party. You might like a movie with an arc like this where the criminal is caught or jailed or pays a price. Or like an anti-hero you like, but know they really shouldn't be doing what they do and will get caught and punished. There's no such consequences in this film.

(And really, how can you not connect this to Donald Trump (gets away with everything, a public that embraces all sorts of prejudices love him, etc.) 

So it's a film I was intrigued with and repulsed at simultaneously and the results of how it plays out didn't leave me choosing either side of those emotions as my opinion of it.

Thanks for posting, I was wondering what you thought of this one, Lyle.  The critical reviews are interesting to read.

Have you heard about the FBI and Homeland Security  warning law enforcement of possible shootings, after a number of threats were posted online calling for mass shootings at showings of the movie.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1098 on: October 09, 2019, 10:57:30 AM »
That's a good summary.  I have not seen the film but have read a few reviews.  I'm doubting I'll watch it on the big screen b/c I'll always think of Ledger's portrayal.   Later, V.

You know what, this is such a different take, approach, on/to this character that you can't really compare the two performances in my opinion. I didn't think of Heath's portrayal at all, believe it or not, while watching the film. Also,
people already kinda think Joaquin Phoenix is crazy, or at least has a rep as a bit of a diva and so I didn't view his portrayal as much of stretch in the acting department as I thought the casting was a bit too easy and not against type really. Am I wrong? I mean, I never have or had thought Heath was anything like the Joker character that he played and I kinda think on some level Poenix does have some of the stranger attributes of it in his personality.

While looking up a bit of info to be accurate while writing this post I stumbled across an article titled:
‘Joker’ Spoiler Review: Does Joaquin Phoenix Deserve an Oscar, or Are We Crazy Too?
by Jeff Sneider     October 6, 2019
https://collider.com/joker-spoiler-review-joaquin-phoenix-oscar-buzz/

I'll read it a bit later.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1099 on: October 09, 2019, 11:08:47 AM »
Thanks for posting, I was wondering what you thought of this one, Lyle.  The critical reviews are interesting to read.
Have you heard about the FBI and Homeland Security  warning law enforcement of possible shootings, after a number of threats were posted online calling for mass shootings at showings of the movie.

Yes it was all over the news here the week the movie opened. A few theatres cancelled it and others were putting out all sorts of rules about attending the movie, like no one could be wearing a costume, or make-up (?) or baggy clothes on and on. This movie is certainly a reflection of our current times.

I mean, several news sources have headlines about the film like this:

"‘Joker’ an Insidious Validation of Angry White Male Trump Supporters"
or
"Joker Validates ‘White-Male Resentment’ That Elected Trump"

This isn't the first time Trump has been compared to Joker. But that started out making fun of him
as a joke. Now it's in a much darker way because he's such a danger. Remember when Mark Hamill
had a routine for quite awhile of reading Donald Trump's tweets as the Joker?
________

Nancy, I assume because you posted about it that you saw The Gorilla movie? I've heard of it before,
but never seen it. Is it any good?

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1100 on: October 09, 2019, 11:40:20 AM »
Sometime recently, I think, I wrote something to the effect that when I was in college that I remember that most of the movies I went to see were about people relating to one another in various ways in real situations, whether comedies or dramas or action films. I was lamenting that there is too much of a diet of these super-hero/villain movies to choose from. It's like the movie menu is featuring the side dishes or appetizers over the main course.

Scorcese weighed into this in an article when a reporter asked him about "MCU and movies of that ilk." I was wondering if the reporter had to tell him what MCU meant. I wasn't sure myself, but figured it out. Marvel Comics Universe.

SORCESE: “I don’t see them. I tried, you know? But that’s not cinema. Honestly, the closest I can think of them, as well made as they are, with actors doing the best they can under the circumstances, is theme parks. It isn’t the cinema of human beings trying to convey emotional, psychological experiences to another human being.”

Of course, his mistake in that sentence was saying "I don't see them." Though I agree with his sentiment. I have liked several of these kinds of movies, but I wouldn't say a one of them was in my top ten favorite films of any year. They are like snacks to me, and yes, every once in awhile one likes to eat too many snacks. When I think of the movies I love from when I was growing up, the connections I remember are from the characters and people and emotional ties in the scenes.

Scorcese's line above: "with actors doing the best they can under the circumstances," reminds me of a SAG friend of mine who says he often wonders why actors want to be in movies any more when these are the kinds of movies they often have to do. How fulfilling can that be? Disregard the monetary aspect, which is a reward for doing those movies. Remember in the 1970's the craze was every type of disaster movie one could think of being made. At least those were about real people dealing with overcoming these real possible circumstances.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #1101 on: October 09, 2019, 12:05:48 PM »
A few theatres cancelled it and others were putting out all sorts of rules about attending the movie, like no one could be wearing a costume, or make-up (?) or baggy clothes on and on. This movie is certainly a reflection of our current times.

The way I heard it here was that no one was allowed to wear Joker make-up, so I think you'd be OK in blush and eye-liner. ...

I was wondering if the reporter had to tell him what MCU meant. I wasn't sure myself, but figured it out. Marvel Comics Universe.

I had to think about that one myself.

Remember in the 1970's the craze was every type of disaster movie one could think of being made. At least those were about real people dealing with overcoming these real possible circumstances.

Sort of like the tsunami on 9-1-1.  :D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #1102 on: October 09, 2019, 12:11:37 PM »
Today is Michael Pare's 61st birthday. I guess I should watch Eddie and the Cruisers tonight in honor of the occasion.

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1103 on: October 09, 2019, 12:26:25 PM »
--Joker

I'm of two minds about this film. On the one hand, it's a very intriguing study of "Arthur Fleck." A loser-type who lives with his mother, has mental problems and an unusual condition, a poor job and lives in low class conditions. Society is becoming increasingly divided between those who run things and those who don't believe any of them. (Like now?) The story is basically an origin story of how the character of the Joker comes to be. We can mostly understand this guy's journey to how he becomes what he does. (There's also some origin stuff to Bruce Wayne's beginnings, with emphasis on his father. (Who knew Bruce Wayne's father was a douchebag?)

The film is set in a Gotham City that feels like 1970's New York City with garbage strikes, filth, vintage cars and a talk show patterned after The Tonight Show the nightly routine. (Robert DeNiro plays the Johnny Carson stand-in.) Most people think it's the 1970's, but there's a scene near the end with a movie marquee that shows Zorro, the Gay Blade and Body Heat playing. Those were both released in 1981. A lot of the film is quite interesting and intriguing. It's a film I might say I liked.

My problem is that this film pretty much shows the birth of a pretty psychotic criminal. We never embrace this guy from the start as someone we like. Through the movie there are some very violent and/or pretty brutal scenes and this criminal in the making ultimately is embraced by the public in the film, but there are no consequences. It's like a coming out party. You might like a movie with an arc like this where the criminal is caught or jailed or pays a price. Or like an anti-hero you like, but know they really shouldn't be doing what they do and will get caught and punished. There's no such consequences in this film.

(And really, how can you not connect this to Donald Trump (gets away with everything, a public that embraces all sorts of prejudices love him, etc.) 

So it's a film I was intrigued with and repulsed at simultaneously and the results of how it plays out didn't leave me choosing either side of those emotions as my opinion of it.

I'm starting to think that the only way to deal with this film is to watch it and get an own opinion, I had never seen such different reviews for the same movie. Reading yours (and your reviews ar great, by the way) reaffirms this feeling.

I wonder if Phoenix based some of his Joker on Heath's work, every actor has given the Joker a whole new personality, I am really intrigued.

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1104 on: October 09, 2019, 03:39:18 PM »
I'm going to see Judy tonight, I've read many mixed reviews of the film, so anxious to see it for myself!!

As for the Joker film.......hmmmm? Don't know I'll see it..........maybe at some point?!  ;D

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #1105 on: October 09, 2019, 04:26:53 PM »

1. I'd love to see it - soon, if possible.

2. Not for me.

WISE UP

Ing KräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

Offline Flyboy

• Obsessed
« Reply #1106 on: October 09, 2019, 08:55:02 PM »
I liked Judy overall, but let's be real here, WHO can really play Judy Garland? I didn't care for the ending section, as it made it appear that she and Mickey Dean split, but he was living with her in England when she died........all that success and all the money she made throughout her career yet she died nearly penniless, considering all her debts. And only 47! What she truly needed was a good manager who could handle her finances AND her addictions.......never happened, sad.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #1107 on: October 09, 2019, 08:58:08 PM »
Today is Michael Pare's 61st birthday. I guess I should watch Eddie and the Cruisers tonight in honor of the occasion.

So, I did, and I'm just as amazed at his performance as Eddie as I was the first time I saw the movie.

Now. here's something odd. Until I began shipping those guys from 9-1-1, I wrote and posted a number of Eddie and the Cruisers fan fictions at Archive of Our Own. Today, a very long time since I had any evidence that anybody was reading those stories, somebody left kudos (meaning they liked it) on one of them.

Maybe the person is another Eddie fan.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1108 on: October 10, 2019, 09:46:55 AM »
I liked Judy overall, but let's be real here, WHO can really play Judy Garland?

First, I have not seen JUDY yet, I am going to see it in a week. I have several friends who have seen it and they have liked this film for the most part.

But who can really play Judy Garland? My answer is in the 4 hour movie (shown on two night on TV) from 2001, officially titled: Life With Judy Garland: Me and My Shadows.

That film cast Tammy Blanchard as a young Judy Garland and then about a quarter of the way in Judy Davis appears as Judy Garland grown up and each of them were superb, Davis in particular. As the Variety reviewer at the time wrote: "Seldom in a biographical television made-for does a star so expertly inhabit another's skin as Judy Davis does here with Judy Garland."  BOTH of these actresses won an Emmy for their roles. I have not seen it in a long time, but Judy Davis's performance still sticks in my mind as something great. So that's my answer.

Offline Flyboy

• Obsessed
« Reply #1109 on: October 10, 2019, 02:01:31 PM »
Hmmmm? An interesting thought, Lyle. I wonder if Netflix would carry that show? have to look.....